Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ALL MY EMAIL IS GONE!

*clicks +, expands all message*

OMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bob Morales posted:

ALL MY EMAIL IS GONE!

*clicks +, expands all message*

OMG

Every day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
People keep turning on Outlook's junk mail filter and then wondering where all their critically important emails are going. <PLONK>

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

People keep turning on Outlook's junk mail filter and then wondering where all their critically important emails are going. <PLONK>
The best thing is when the Director of IT (or some equally important sounding role) threatens to cancel their contract with you because they've seen this happening and it must be your (MDM product) fault. Then again, even with iOS 7 Outlook/iOS is a miserable combination so we can now at least point customers to pages that show how common (and unrelated to us) whatever issue they are having is.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

My workplace has all their email with some mediocre hosting service (1&1) and I can only imagine the day when everything shits out and they ask me to fix it. This is the kind of stuff that happens when business people make IT decisions. Oh well at least I don't have to manage anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

Disable that poo poo with a GPO.

People use that instead of the unsubscribe link

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Godammit if you're going to insist on bringing your Powerbook in for me to work on bring the goddamn AC adapter. Twice in a row.

Bad CEO, bad!

P.S. I bought an adapter to keep at my desk.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

poo poo that pisses me off: how expensive Apple adapters are. I'd love to just keep one at home and one at work. I'll make it happen once we're a bit more flush.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: how expensive Apple adapters are. I'd love to just keep one at home and one at work. I'll make it happen once we're a bit more flush.

Keep the big cord at your desk and then take the adapter+duckhead home with you

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't the EU trying to force cable standards on apple and they're flipping out?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

But then what will I use for an emergency bottle opener!?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Toxteth OGrady posted:

grrrr, read receipts. So passive aggressive. I can't click 'no' fast enough.

Sounds like another reason to avoid ithings amirite?

I don't mind read receipts so much, though I also just ignore them. One thing my boss does that really bugs me though is adding a reminder to reply by a given time. Every single time when that alert goes off I panic for a second wondering what meeting I've forgotten about, only to realize that it's just her reminding me to reply to her email from an hour prior.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

teethgrinder posted:

But then what will I use for an emergency bottle opener!?

Anything that can be used as a lever? Butter knife, the handle of a spoon/fork, the bottom of a BIC lighter... The possibilities are endless.
Speaking of which, did we ever figure out the Bottle Opener/flash drive thing? I don't recall a post on collecting payments so they can be ordered.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TWBalls posted:

Speaking of which, did we ever figure out the Bottle Opener/flash drive thing? I don't recall a post on collecting payments so they can be ordered.

Good call! I'd still love one.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

TWBalls posted:

The problem was that the order size greatly outgrew my capacity to pay for it up front. We can still do it, we'd just need to either

a: Follow up, figure out how many people will commit, then do pre-order collection
or
b: I can hand the information off to someone more financially able to front for the production then collect and send.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The problem was that the order size greatly outgrew my capacity to pay for it up front. We can still do it, we'd just need to either

a: Follow up, figure out how many people will commit, then do pre-order collection
or
b: I can hand the information off to someone more financially able to front for the production then collect and send.

I can't speak for others, but I trust you enough to send you the amount for the 2 I'd like to order. Of course, I imagine shipping all of these out is gonna suck for whomever does it, so I'll leave it up to whomever has the time and patience for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't expect to get one any other way than paying before the order is placed, if you take a list of names and then place an order you'll be chasing people for money that is never going to arrive.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Caged posted:

I wouldn't expect to get one any other way than paying before the order is placed, if you take a list of names and then place an order you'll be chasing people for money that is never going to arrive.

81 of the 114 responding wanted 32g drives, so that's what they would have to be (cant split sizes).

I'll price good shipping methods/costs, then send everyone an email sometime next week and set something up.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Stealthgerbil posted:

My workplace has all their email with some mediocre hosting service (1&1) and I can only imagine the day when everything shits out and they ask me to fix it. This is the kind of stuff that happens when business people make IT decisions. Oh well at least I don't have to manage anything.

First time I've ever heard of 1&1 described as anything but criminally awful.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

rscott posted:

First time I've ever heard of 1&1 described as anything but criminally awful.

Same here!

I cringe whenever I see that name... My company originally had their website/DNS/email hosted there. We kept having problems with our email being blocked as spam by others, and their spam filtering blocking mail from our own domain (!!). In an attempt to help solve the problem I went to go setup SPF/DKIM records only to find out they did not support that. In fact the only thing you could add to your own DNS entries was A records. They supported nothing else. Their tech support said they did not support SPF/DKIM and likely never would because it simply was not being used enough. This was in 2010-2011.

Management finally let me move away from 1&1. So I ended up moving our email over to a grandfathered free Google Apps account that had a 200 user limit :) Website went to BlueHost, and registrar/DNS went elsewhere.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

TheQat posted:

i'd love to see read receipts get used at my current job. instead the big bosses demand that everyone reply to every email, no matter how insignificant. if you don't do this you usually get a followup email or phone call.

yes, i got the email, if i didn't get it you'd get a bounceback error you fuckwit

Fortunately, I'm leaving this place after next Tues :toot:

I don't have a problem with the feature -- used rarely, when necessary. But a whole bunch of the idiots where I work have it on by default for every single message. No, you do not need to confirm that I read your email that said "Thanks! :)"

It's a lot like the priority setting in that regard. No one sending actual high-priority messages uses it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stevewm posted:

grandfathered free Google Apps account that had a 200 user limit :)

Holy poo poo that is a sweet deal.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

In the ongoing saga of my kernel-panicking MacBook Pro, they finally decided it probably isn't really the RAM at fault.

Fortunately a new logic-board had already been allocated for it on one of the previous visits. Why they didn't install it previously, :iiam:

They also claimed that while a logic board replacement typically takes 10-14 days, they'll bump me up to 3-5 days due to all the trouble I've been through.

We shall see.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
God drat it. The CEO is pretending he knows IT again and is pissing me off.

Long story; we have a large fileserver that is dying. It was built 4 years ago with 192 1.5tb Seagate consumer grade drives and is split in to two mirrored pools. The drives are failing left and right due to age/errors/ect. There's "OMG CRITICAL DATA" on the drat thing that we need to keep- but does not need to be online. I suggested/planned for a LTO-6 tape solution and a nice media safe. To just backup the critical stuff is $6k in tapes. This week we lost another half dozen drives and I finally had it. Told my boss, the COO/CFO, that I was putting in a request for the tapes, backing the critical data up on to the "stable" of the two 96 drive pools and shutting down the pool that shits drives every few weeks. He asked me to double check with the CEO that the data needed to be accessible offline and not online 24/7. Great, easy. I check with him, explain what's happening, and we agree the offline solution is the best idea. He was not fond of the cost, but it is within my budget. I started building the hardware quote and headed over to our DC with my tech to replace drives. The director of engineering (who built the drat fileserver) shows up out of no where and asks if I had seen the email from our CEO yet. Apparently he made a storage plan for the company and sent it off to my boss and CC'd him. It involves shutting off the stable pool and leaving it off until someone needs something- at which point a request via IT can bring it back to life to access the "CRITICALDATA". All other backups can be done via a 6yr old LT03 tape drive (that's in the scrap pile) because there is apparently only a few TB of "critical business data" the company needs. gently caress everything about this. The engineering director straight up told me that he disagrees and the CEO has no clue what we even have now or even back when the server was built. I have not seen it yet, but I plan to walk in Monday to my boss and tell him I won't touch this with a 10ft pole.

:rant:

Time for a glass of Pendleton.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Today I learnt that our domain administrators automatically delete any machine accounts that haven't been used in three weeks. Most of our virtual machines are in the domain, and the users can turn them on and off as needed. Because our Hyper-V cluster is close to it's capacity, users are instructed to turn off currently unused machines or move them to storage. We're also in the middle of cost-cuttings, so any kind of non-billable, administrative work is strongly frowned upon and will have consequences. :sigh:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Holy poo poo that is a sweet deal.

What is even sweeter is that you can setup a catch-all email account and then give out email addresses that don't exist to websites and when they email they come to your catch-all.

e.g. When I sign up for something I use that site name @ one of my domains. Whenever one of these addresses receives mail it comes to spambucket@mydomain. Now I can sort the mail by the sender. I can also create a group that doesn't allow people from the group to send to it to then blackhole the email address if I no longer ever want mail from it. If you want to send out from one of the addresses for some reason, you can just set the account up in outlook or temporarily create it in google apps. I managed to end up with 3 domains with the 200 account limit and am praying that they never take it away.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

the spyder posted:

192 1.5tb Seagate consumer grade drives and is split in to two mirrored pools.

Nice, assuming this isn't video what is taking up TBs of space?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

With SBS2011 and if the clients have Outlook 2007 or newer. If people add a sender to the junk mail list then the Exchange spam filter will recognise that and add that sender to the spam filter, but only when they send to that particular user. It can be fun tracking down why an external contact can send to everyone else in the organisation but can't send to their regular contact and the regular contact is able to receive from everyone else. Even better is users are somehow able to mistake "Add to address book" with "Add to blocked senders".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Assuming you are using some other sot of mail filter (Barracuda, hosted service, whatever. And why the heck wouldn't you be using something else?) just disable your users from being able to do that because doing it on the mail client is pointless anyhow.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

What the gently caress does this mean?

quote:

Have you noticed, lawyername, your top-level web part materials aren't
fitting within the web part window? I don't think this is just on my
computer-clientname, do you have any insight into this matter?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What the gently caress does this mean?

Toolbars making their browser window too small.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Guesticles posted:

I'm glad you could decode that because goddamn, that sounds like someone trying to use buzzwords that doesn't KNOW buzzwords :psyduck:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Adobe creative cloud thing won't register through our proxy.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Guesticles posted:

This is apparently wrong. My current guess is that they're getting emails that have so many attachments that they can't see them all in outlook.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

hirvox posted:

Today I learnt that our domain administrators automatically delete any machine accounts that haven't been used in three weeks.

What a pointless exercise. What is their justification for doing this?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our e-mail archive product went down this afternoon. Call up the sysadmins, and it was a "planned" outage. They didn't bother telling anyone that they'd "planned" to take down the e-mail archive from 1pm to 4pm.

Come 4:30pm, it's still down. Call up the sysadmins, it should be back up tomorrow. Cool. E-mail guy is probably loving around in Exchange 2010 and has no goddamn idea what he's doing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Had to share a portion of this email that just came to a developer group that I'm a part of. The broad topic, that of directors' attitudes toward subordinates, has been a daily piss-off for me for a while now, so the following put my back up perhaps a little more than it otherwise would have.

quote:

I have an open Statement of Work for two front-end resources for a major project. Resources need experience with SDLC or similar methodology, knowledge of JQuery, and JavaScript techniques including closures and self-executing anonymous functions. Experience with internationalized applications or content management systems is a plus, as is experience with Velocity templates and/or JSP syntax.

You would be joining a large UI team that provides a pool of resources to various projects in a large healthcare company.

<company/contact info, etc.>

Resources. They can't stop using that word!

I don't know if it's just me, but that word seems pretty dehumanizing in this context. I had to restrain myself from replying with something sarcastic or with just links to programming books at Amazon. Yeah, I know, a lot of executive types don't really see their employees as individual human beings with wills and thoughts and lives of their own, but this email was sent directly to potential candidates. From the president of the company. I can't help but translate this to: "Attention proles: come work on my code assembly-line and be judged on the number of widgets (lines of code) you output." Did this person even think for an instant about the wording they chose and the message it sends?

These people don't have to loving dote on us and treat us all like super awesome special snowflakes the likes of which they never hoped to meet. Just, try to at least pretend that we're individual people. Make a loving effort. Gah!

-

That said, this IS a job posting. While I'm not interested, I'd be happy to forward the details on to anybody interested (I don't have PMs though). It's not directly stated, but from context I'm guessing it's a Portland, OR area job. Also appears to be a very short contract (until end of December).
:ironicat:

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but that word seems pretty dehumanizing in this context.

I agree. People, especially people with technical knowledge and skills, are referred to as "resources" all the time at my company. E.g.: "Can we get a network resource on this conference call?"

Sure, would you like a Layer 3 switch or an ASA? I'm sure either one of them would be happy to answer your network troubleshooting questions. :v:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Agrikk posted:

What a pointless exercise. What is their justification for doing this?
We do have a lot of virtual machines, and some of them are practically throwaway, so I can see the appeal of doing some housekeeping work. What I don't see is the appeal of doing it yourself. Silent expiration just generates work for our helpdesk when they have to recreate the machine accounts.

We do have a handy self-service site for generating machine accounts, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to have a system for expirations too. Like the one we have for Sharepoint sites: X weeks before expiration you start getting weekly (and eventually daily) emails which warn you of the expiration and let you extend the timeout with a single click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Che Delilas posted:

I sort of see where they're coming from. You can't say employee because they might be a contractor. But you'd think they could find a better word than resource.