Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

I walked around the corner and thought i'd found a kit car..

but no it's the Ford LASER LYNX! The least graceful member of the cat/laser family hybrid.

I've only seen three or four of those on the road. Such an ugly car when they came out. Too bad Ford got rid of the AWD TX3 model in that body shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

tobu posted:

but no it's the Ford LASER LYNX! The least graceful member of the cat/laser family hybrid.

Incidentally, why do hybrids have that little mini-window under the hatch? Visibility is the obvious answer, but it seems they all (by which I mean the Prius and Insights) have them.

In compensation — although it's not that horrible, all things considered — enjoy this Bentley parked in a fairly silly manner:

and this lovely x5

To be honest, the X5 was kinda nice, in that he did up the calipers and got monochrome hubcaps.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tobu posted:

It's a Mazda!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Incidentally, why do hybrids have that little mini-window under the hatch? Visibility is the obvious answer, but it seems they all (by which I mean the Prius and Insights) have them.

In compensation — although it's not that horrible, all things considered — enjoy this Bentley parked in a fairly silly manner:

and this lovely x5

To be honest, the X5 was kinda nice, in that he did up the calipers and got monochrome hubcaps.

The volt has it too. It's because looking like a mutant bean with glass everywhere is how people expect hybrids to look and making one that looks like a normal car isn't smart marketing.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Someone found a photo of the new Boss 302 Challenger.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zenostein posted:

Aerodynamics mainly dictate the shape, without that extra section in glass rear viability would be almost zero in practical terms.

Terrible car stuff: looking for something to replace the 24mpg Volvo for the wife we test drove a diesel 2nd gen fiat multipla. The really terrible part is I'm going back to negotiate later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Zenostein posted:

Incidentally, why do hybrids have that little mini-window under the hatch?

The Honda CRX had that long before hybrids were a (commercially available) thing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Aerodynamics mainly dictate the shape, without that extra section in glass rear viability would be almost zero in practical terms.

This. Also, I believe that a lot of the design similarities are due to the attempt to minimize the angular difference of the hood and windshield which kinda create a bit of a snub-nosed look.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CharlesM posted:

It's a Mazda!

The Mazda badged version does look a little less awkward

Surprised they're a rare sight in Australia, there are hundreds of the things in New Zealand

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Chinatown posted:

This. Also, I believe that a lot of the design similarities are due to the attempt to minimize the angular difference of the hood and windshield which kinda create a bit of a snub-nosed look.

I believe that design language is known in the trade as "Make it look like a slipper, 'cause most of the drivers will be wearing slippers"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zenostein posted:

judging by the fact that the other cars in the front spaces managed to park the back half of the car hanging over the line, I'm guessing probably a long-box pickup or something was parked in the space in front of the Bentley initially. Or he's just bad at parking like the rest of them.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

some texas redneck posted:

The Honda CRX had that long before hybrids were a (commercially available) thing.

And the CRX was a beautiful car. If you disagree, we's gonna fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

Only registered members can see post attachments!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Linedance posted:

judging by the fact that the other cars in the front spaces managed to park the back half of the car hanging over the line, I'm guessing probably a long-box pickup or something was parked in the space in front of the Bentley initially. Or he's just bad at parking like the rest of them.

God, I hope so. I refuse to believe that even the dumbest Bentley owner opts to park half of their car in the lane in an attempt to avoid a potential ~3 MPH frontal bump from fellow retarded parkers.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Apparently 30 truckers showed up to that thing in Washington D. C. They proceeded to block the freeway by lining up and going 15 mph, at which point they were pulled over and told not to block the freeway. They complied.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

anonumos posted:

And the CRX was a beautiful car. If you disagree, we's gonna fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

IMO, they dropped the ball with this car. I don't regret buying it, as it's a 6spd hybrid and that always makes people go HUH? That being said, it's got a lot that could have been improved on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All they needed to do was just put in the L15A7 from the Fit and dropped the whole hybrid nonsense. Oh look, you have a 2200lb car with 120hp; that seems to fit the CRX mold just fine.

e: oh god, why did I bother to look up the curb weights

Fit: 2359 lbs
CR-Z: 2670 lbs

Great job, Honda. You really outdid yourself with the CR-Z.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Phone posted:

All they needed to do was just put in a K20 and drop the whole hybrid nonsense. Oh look, you have a 2200lb car with 160hp; that seems to fit the CRX mold exactly what most consumers wanted just fine.

Did some minor editing.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

IMO, they dropped the ball with this car. I don't regret buying it, as it's a 6spd hybrid and that always makes people go HUH? That being said, it's got a lot that could have been improved on.

They're such a good looking car. I'm sure Honda were trying to make a point with the hybrid system in a sports car, but it seems a missed opportunity that they never put a K20 or something else with performance to match the looks in this thing.

Edit: resoundingly beaten

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

sadnessboner posted:

They're such a good looking car. I'm sure Honda were trying to make a point with the hybrid system in a sports car, but it seems a missed opportunity that they never put a K20 or something else with performance to match the looks in this thing.

Edit: resoundingly beaten

I agree, a k20 would have been marvelous. poo poo, even a turbo hybrid. Jackson Racing makes a supercharger and stuff for it, which puts it up to about 180 with internals, but the cost -> power ration is far from worth it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Phone posted:

All they needed to do was just put in the L15A7 from the Fit and dropped the whole hybrid nonsense. Oh look, you have a 2200lb car with 120hp; that seems to fit the CRX mold just fine.

2670 lbs doesn't seem so bad for a hybrid, for reasons that should be obvious if you think about it for 5 seconds. Ditch the hybrid setup and just drop the K20Z3 and 6 speed from my Civic in it and you'd probably have a fun little car. Still wouldn't be attractive, but you can't win 'em all.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Q_res posted:

2670 lbs doesn't seem so bad for a hybrid, for reasons that should be obvious if you think about it for 5 seconds. Ditch the hybrid setup and just drop the K20Z3 and 6 speed from my Civic in it and you'd probably have a fun little car. Still wouldn't be attractive, but you can't win 'em all.

You don't think that CRZ posted up there is attractive? Have I been reading this thread too long? That car looks pretty sexy to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently 30 truckers showed up to that thing in Washington D. C. They proceeded to block the freeway by lining up and going 15 mph, at which point they were pulled over and told not to block the freeway. They complied.

"To summarize our demands: We're insane and raving lunatics"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

I didn't realize it was that many. I'd heard that a few (3-5) trucks showed up last week and claimed victory because they'd slowed down traffic on the Capital Beltway during the morning commute, despite the fact that traffic on the Beltway is a disaster at the best of times.

Also, their demands seem to be missing a couple of right wing conspiracy theories. They did get the standard "BENGHAZI!", "Boston Marathon was a false flag!", and "9-11 was an inside job!" lunacy, but I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of demands relating to the UN's plans for a single world government or Obama not being a US citizen.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 15, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Seems like it would be easier just to say "friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family".

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Polymerized Cum posted:

Seems like it would be easier just to say "friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family".

Yeah, okay.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Phone posted:

why not just make a 2 door fit hatch? that would actually be in the spirit of the crx

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

why not just make a 2 door fit hatch? that would actually be in the spirit of the crx

my CR-Z makes up for the extra 300lbs with a tiny electric motor that generates an additional 13 torque :colbert:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The CR-Z is a failure on almost every level. The car isn't quick, doesn't get good gas mileage (for a hybrid), only seats 2 people, and is pretty ugly to boot. Is there a silver lining I am not seeing?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It actually doesn't look bad and in fact looks good?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Polymerized Cum posted:

That would be racist. They just hate the president for a reason they can't exactly put their finger on.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nocheez posted:

The CR-Z is a failure on almost every level. The car isn't quick, doesn't get good gas mileage (for a hybrid), only seats 2 people, and is pretty ugly to boot. Is there a silver lining I am not seeing?

Your opinion, I think it looks great, it's fun and sporty with a bunch of aftermarket. Sure it doesn't get 80MPG, but I have no qualms with 44-45 on the highway. I assume you hate miatas as well, pretty much the same thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

azflyboy posted:

I didn't realize it was that many. I'd heard that a few (3-5) trucks showed up last week and claimed victory because they'd slowed down traffic on the Capital Beltway during the morning commute, despite the fact that traffic on the Beltway is a disaster at the best of times.
I rode around there once on a Sunday and it was packed. Couldn't imagine what it would be like on a work day.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

"...Fast & Furious... Must be investigated"

What the hell? So they really are living in a fantasy world then?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fast & Furious is a conspiracy that the Obama administration intentionally gave guns to Mexcican cartels to drive up gun violence in order to enact tougher gun control laws.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

Fast & Furious is a conspiracy that the Obama administration intentionally gave guns to Mexcican cartels to drive up gun violence in order to enact tougher gun control laws.

That is amazing, holy poo poo. Why haven't I heard of this before?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the first part of it was actually true,they sold guns into Mexico as part of some elaborate sting to attempt to catch Mexican criminals, and it largely didn't work (no cartel leaders arrested).

Except the operation started in 2006 so claiming Obama was the mastermind behind it is kind of dubious.

What is there to investigate about "seal team 6"? I mean it's a real unit in the US armed forces, we know what they are, so...?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the first part of it was actually true,they sold guns into Mexico as part of some elaborate sting to attempt to catch Mexican criminals, and it largely didn't work (no cartel leaders arrested).

Except the operation started in 2006 so claiming Obama was the mastermind behind it is kind of dubious.

What is there to investigate about "seal team 6"? I mean it's a real unit in the US armed forces, we know what they are, so...?

Probably in connection with the Conspiracy Theory that Osama bin Laden has been dead for 10 years and the "raid" was done to bump Obama's positivity in the polls. Why bin Laden was claimed to be killed in May and not a week before the election, even though the whole thing was suppose to be a charade to win the election, they never explain.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Throatwarbler posted:

Probably ties into No. 9. If Osama was dead, then they were clearly in on it.

Also, you'd think they'd at least google 'qui tam' instead of just guessing.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Terminal Entropy posted:

Probably in connection with the Conspiracy Theory that Osama bin Laden has been dead for 10 years and the "raid" was done to bump Obama's positivity in the polls. Why bin Laden was claimed to be killed in May and not a week before the election, even though the whole thing was suppose to be a charade to win the election, they never explain.

I did think it was a little suspicious how there were no photographs of bin Laden after he was killed, and before he was dumped in the ocean.

...and then the entire team got wiped out by an RPG, and a week later, nobody cared. No outrage. Nothing.

I think the worst conspiracy that Obama is involved in is the deliberate price fixing of gasoline. It's so expensive nowadays! I remember how 12 years ago, I could pretty much fill up my tank for around $20. Now it costs me $50 for regular unleaded!

:cripes:

VVVV - To be fair, the last conspiracy involves terrible car stuff.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jakcson posted:

I did think it was a little suspicious how there were no photographs of bin Laden after he was killed, and before he was dumped in the ocean.

...and then the entire team got wiped out by an RPG, and a week later, nobody cared. No outrage. Nothing.

I think the worst conspiracy that Obama is involved in is the deliberate price fixing of gasoline. It's so expensive nowadays! I remember how 12 years ago, I could pretty much fill up my tank for around $20. Now it costs me $50 for regular unleaded!

:cripes:

:tinfoil: Please don't