Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Ularg posted:

Some more or final screens. I'd love to just be a war photographer come release.

I put those up in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Who's the sperg now? Sperg.

The A4 is burst only, a significant difference compared to the A3.

Alternatively everyone could be starting with the AK or CZ rifles.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I put those up in the OP.

:blush: Thank you.

Here's the whole album so far. I have a few others that are mainly me mashing down the screenshot key to get multiple frames of an explosion for the best one.

I can't wait for release so we have new maps and we have the optimization to flying around at ultra/200% supersampling at higher than 5fps.

Welsper posted:

The A4 is burst only, a significant difference compared to the A3.

Alternatively everyone could be starting with the AK or CZ rifles.

I love the AKM and CZ-550 from DayZ so I'd be okay with that.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ularg posted:

:blush: Thank you.

Here's the whole album so far. I have a few others that are mainly me mashing down the screenshot key to get multiple frames of an explosion for the best one.

I can't wait for release so we have new maps and we have the optimization to flying around at ultra/200% supersampling at higher than 5fps.

I love the AKM and CZ-550 from DayZ so I'd be okay with that.

May I ask what you use to take screenshots? Origin doesn't appear to have a screenshot feature and it has disagreements with Steam.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

WirelessPillow posted:

May I ask what you use to take screenshots? Origin doesn't appear to have a screenshot feature and it has disagreements with Steam.

I used Fraps.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

You were gone too soon beta, you just had to come during a busy 2 weeks.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Battlefield 4 Facebook page might be posting my pictures too. :getin:

Sweet KD bro.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Now that the beta is over, I'll have to teach myself BF3 again (after having not played for ~6 months). I'll miss you, AK5C for all classes :smith:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Naturally Selected posted:

Peep dat skill rating, brah. What does it mean? :regd09:

Not sure, but mine is usually negative.

Anyone have that annoying issue where the game crashes right as you die?

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 15, 2013

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Zeike posted:

Not sure, but mine is usually negative.

Anyone have that annoying issue where the game crashes right as you die?

Had that happen to me maybe 6 times through the course of the beta. I think its usually when something else is going on as I specifically remember being in the middle of the draw animation when pulling out my RPG the last time it happened.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Naturally Selected posted:

Peep dat skill rating, brah. What does it mean? :regd09:

I think it's a simple Elo type of deal. Whenever you kill a dude it compares his skill rating with yours, and the higher his was in comparision to yours the more skill you gain. Whenever you get killed you lose more skill the lower your killer's rating was compared to yours. Since it's only keyed off of kills rather than score my rating usually tanks when playing conquest (average of about 200) but is goes way up in domination (closer to ~400).

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

From my experience assuming I'm an alright player who mostly did CQ in the last game, 400 plus is as pretty good watermark for whether someone's legit or not after a hundred hours.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

teagone posted:

So it's not some sort of "pay-to-win" type situation? I guess my main concern is that everyone will be playing the expansion content, have like everything unlocked by paying for it, and as such have newer items/guns/vehicles/etc. that I won't have access to, and ultimately would lead to empty servers for those with just the vanilla content.

Premium really isn't pay to win. It does give you access to all the DLC, which is awesome. In BF3 Premium did give you a bunch more assignments with their own unlocks, but those unlocks were dogtags, gun camos (which make no real difference at all), and one soldier camo that looked very similar to a bunch of other camos, and weren't anything special.

The DLCs were slightly different. Those did give assignments that let you unlock guns, that could only be obtained through those DLC assignments. In my opinion, about 61 out of 20 of those were 'good' weapons. 1 was nerfed into the ground in a subsequent patch. But while they were good, the vanilla guns were still extremely competitive. The 'Best' gun throughout was the M16A3, which was the starting gun for the US team, and could be easily unlocked for use by the Russians as well, all within the normal course of the game. And again, that's not Premium specific, it's DLC specific, which is slightly different.

Overall, the single most important thing involved in battlefield is understanding the maps, and your ability to aim; these are things no DLC will buy you.

1The L85A2, AUG-A3, SPAS, MP5K, MTAR, and the FAMAS, which was the one nerfed to death.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That really irks me though. The premium or expansion guns in the majority of cases were just useless. They felt like a waste of money if I didn't get the maps.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

PittTheElder posted:

1The L85A2, AUG-A3, SPAS, MP5K, MTAR, and the FAMAS, which was the one nerfed to death.

You forgot the G53, M417 and the JNG-90.

So close to 2.00 KD.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 15, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Basically if you weren't the M16A3 or the AEK then get out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sandweed posted:

You forgot the G53, M417 and the JNG-90.

Eh, that reload time on the G53 made using it such a damned liability to me; the G36C is better in almost every way.

The JNG-90 doesn't seem all that special in any particular category. And the M417 is pretty sweet I guess, but not really all that different from the M39, but with a significantly shittier spread, assuming I'm reading Symthic correctly. I certainly saw a lot of other people using it, but I was never one for the recon class, and have basically no first hand experience beyond grinding the unending stream of L96 assignments because why not.

Ularg posted:

Basically if you weren't the M16A3 or the AEK then get out.

AN-94. :colbert:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

As someone who plays an engineer 99% of the time, having a recon that actually locks targets is so satisfying. I don't know how many points they get for killing a full transport helo, but it's great camping the buildings near A and blowing that thing up the second it gets to altitude.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Zotix posted:

As someone who plays an engineer 99% of the time, having a recon that actually locks targets is so satisfying. I don't know how many points they get for killing a full transport helo, but it's great camping the buildings near A and blowing that thing up the second it gets to altitude.
Recons get 25 points for fully marking a target, 50 for a target that's hit while painted (any explosive will do, and it stacks), and finally 100 points for a target destroyed. So, at least 175 points.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
You get a ton of points if you laser designate a target that subsequently gets shot multiple times. For instance, lock on to a chopper and your friendly attack helicopter starts shooting it, every single hit they do is 50 points to you, then you get another 100 when it blows up. You also get 25 points for designating a target.

Meanwhile if you lock on to a transport helicopter, your friend shoots it down with the RPG, you get 175 points for your effort and he gets something like 6 kills and the vehicle destruction/multikill bonuses.

So yeah, it varies. But in my experience, the former counterweights the latter. Even just locking onto a tank while engineers shoot it with RPGs is enough to give you several hundred points. For the first time ever, I felt like recon was actually the most fun class because of how rewarding the PLD is to use with a half competent team, squad or buddy.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 15, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Saving for posterities sake:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

PittTheElder posted:

Eh, that reload time on the G53 made using it such a damned liability to me; the G36C is better in almost every way.

The JNG-90 doesn't seem all that special in any particular category. And the M417 is pretty sweet I guess, but not really all that different from the M39, but with a significantly shittier spread, assuming I'm reading Symthic correctly. I certainly saw a lot of other people using it, but I was never one for the recon class, and have basically no first hand experience beyond grinding the unending stream of L96 assignments because why not.

AN-94. :colbert:

JNG-90 have a really high bulletspeed and low cycletime making it one of the best bolt actions, and the M417 is a hipfire monster with good midrange utility making it a beast in almost all situations. If you only look at the symthic stats for the ¤optimal¤ gun instead of actually using them, you will miss out on a lot of great guns.

The G53 looks cool as hell so it got that going for it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Digital Jesus posted:

So I'm probably going to go crawling back to BF3 for this two week gap... I was never very good at 3, having come to the party late, but I'm getting decent at BF4.

I'm loving the AK5C in BF4; what's the closest gun in terms of handling/feel in BF3?
The AK-74M and AN-94 are the closest.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sandweed posted:

JNG-90 have a really high bulletspeed and low cycletime making it one of the best bolt actions, and the M417 is a hipfire monster with good midrange utility making it a beast in almost all situations. If you only look at the symthic stats for the ¤optimal¤ gun instead of actually using them, you will miss out on a lot of great guns.

Speaking of bulletspeeds, is it just me or are the projectiles of sniper rifles and especially DMRs kind of on the low side? With the first DMR it felt like I had to lead by a huge amount and have like half a second flight time even on medium distances, to the point where I generally had a much easier time hitting a moving target with just the standard AK.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yes, bulletspeed for high damage single shots seems to have taken a big hit, and the gains from the new heavy barrel seemed less significant to me. Not a good combination. Though zeroing will make obnoxiously long range sniping more common so it might be a positive thing overall.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
RIP Battlefield 4 beta 2013.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Aaand beta just ended. Match I was in finished 5 minutes past the deadline, then in the scoreboard, one by one, everyone just popped out until the game crashed me out, too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's over. Game crashed right out. Battlelog replaced with preorder page.

We will miss you.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
So what was the most hilarious bug? Land boats gets my vote.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
No secret second beta map. loving :dice:

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
There's a hole in my life where knives and bullets used to go :(

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

This Jacket Is Me posted:

There's a hole in my life where knives and bullets used to go :(

New thread title for the next couple of weeks?

Indra
Nov 25, 2005
Where are my pants?
Soooooo i managed to hit a tree and uproot it with the Venom whilst dropping folks off at the bombsite lastnight.
I couldn't see poo poo and proceeded to spin around in circles while everyone laughed at me in chat wondering why there was a tree flying around in circles over the bay :(

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Trees are still huge assholes in this, I got a MRAP stuck in a small branch and just couldn't move the car at all, the cars should give zero gently caress about stuff on the ground, if you hit anything the cars just go flying like they are made of helium.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Sandweed posted:

Trees are still huge assholes in this, I got a MRAP stuck in a small branch and just couldn't move the car at all, the cars should give zero gently caress about stuff on the ground, if you hit anything the cars just go flying like they are made of helium.

To be fair trees have had millions of years to become very good at not coming out of the ground easily.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Rolling Scissors posted:

So what was the most hilarious bug? Land boats gets my vote.

Did you ever have the boat spawning on land over and over, exploding all the time? That was funny as hell. It was next to D and I spawned under it, and wondered why the hell my screen was constantly shaking and I was taking little bits of damage all the time. There was a boat dropping over me and exploding like every two seconds. My friend went to dance underneath it and got killed. Was impossible to defend D as my screen was shaking non-stop.

It was like this, but over land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ONxUrbOj4

YouAreCorrect
Oct 2, 2008
It's like I got up this morning to find out my friend suddenly died.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
The .50 cal is loving awesome

Look at it. :stare:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I already miss seeing the frog emblem on everything I touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Funkz posted:

The .50 cal is loving awesome

Look at it. :stare:

Holy poo poo what. :stare: That is amazing. I didn't get to use the fiddy much, just hope that the .338 and the Chey-tac can pull off some of the same poo poo with vehicles.

• Locked thread