Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A really cool and good thing about my job here is that the help desk is prevented from looking up a network folder to tell what security groups grant rights to read/write to it. In order to grant rights for a user, we ask their department for a second user who has the correct read/write privileges, and use their account to "mirror" the permissions. This is also how permissions are set up for new accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Have a user who's backup is running at like 10MB/min. Gonna take a while to do 70GB.

User is plugged into a Allied Telesis 100mb switch under her desk, which has a cord running to her cube-mate. Then that goes to a gig netgear stuffed in the cubical wall. There's another orange light on it, so sure enough that switch goes to an Adtran switch in the furnace room, but into a 100mb port. There's only 4 gig ports on that switch :haw:

So basically the whole department isn't backing up because it takes like over a day. gently caress me.

1) Why are we buying any loving devices with 100mb ports in 2013 (Actually they were bought in 2011 but still)
2) Why the gently caress is my boss obsessed with daisy-chaining instead of running EACH PORT STRAIGHT TO A SWITCH IN THE CLOSET
3) Where the gently caress do these 100mb 8 port allied telesis switches keep coming from
4) Why did anyone think it was a good idea to put Netgear switches in random cubical walls
5) Why the gently caress do I still work here after 4 months
6) What would really happen if I kicked my boss in the nuts
7) At least I got to explain to the helpdesk guys why this setup is loving retarded and they should never do anything like that again and our boss is a maroon

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

anthonypants posted:

A really cool and good thing about my job here is that the help desk is prevented from looking up a network folder to tell what security groups grant rights to read/write to it. In order to grant rights for a user, we ask their department for a second user who has the correct read/write privileges, and use their account to "mirror" the permissions. This is also how permissions are set up for new accounts.

This is not actually a cool or "good" thing. All it would take is a couple of people to have been lazy at some point and your ACL's look like someone just threw a company directory at your monitor.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Guesticles posted:

I sort of see where they're coming from. You can't say employee because they might be a contractor. But you'd think they could find a better word than resource.

If only there was a word that could be used to describe another human being in a very general manner. Let me try.

"Let's get a network person on the phone."

Other words that describe their duties may also be used:

"Let's get a network administrator on the phone."

Either way, there is no excuse ever to use "resource", and it really is amazingly dehumanizing. It is flat out saying "You're not worth anything, and I only tolerate you because you make me money." I may be biased, though, because I am a "vendor resource" (at least until :yotj: kicks in).

Rhymenoserous posted:

This is not actually a cool or "good" thing. All it would take is a couple of people to have been lazy at some point and your ACL's look like someone just threw a company directory at your monitor.

I can only hope "good" and "cool" were sarcastic in that context.

Content: The poo poo that pisses me off today (and every day) is deescalating emergencies. I get frantic emails/calls asking for something to be done/changed, I ask for more information, get nothing back for a few days until I follow up wondering what the heck, and get back a "Oh we didn't really need that." I don't work helpdesk or anything - I'm a sort of developer/operations person (I run what I code. I also test it. This is a recipe for success, of course. :negative:)

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 15, 2013

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
My pet peeve of the week is my manager using ASAP for every single thing she wants me to do. Look if everything needs to be done ASAP then nothing does.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rhymenoserous posted:

My pet peeve of the week is my manager using ASAP for every single thing she wants me to do. Look if everything needs to be done ASAP then nothing does.

You're looking at it all wrong. If your manager is telling you to do everything as soon as possible, that means they trust you enough to manage your own priorities and schedule. It's a show of respect! :haw:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We hired a new person! They're supposed to be at approximately the same level of experience/usefulness as me. Here's hoping my life gets less stressful shortly.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

81 of the 114 responding wanted 32g drives, so that's what they would have to be (cant split sizes).

I'll price good shipping methods/costs, then send everyone an email sometime next week and set something up.

I forget, but was there any reason why this wouldn't work?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

TX297 posted:

I forget, but was there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I have the 16GB version of that. While it's handy to have, it's slow as hell for writes.

Also, I think they were wanting the custom graphics that the other offered.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We hired a new person! They're supposed to be at approximately the same level of experience/usefulness as me. Here's hoping my life gets less stressful shortly.

This is where you find out your boss thinks you are a useless scrub who can barely manage to reimage a PC using a pre-made Ghost boot CD, and hired someone at that level.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

TWBalls posted:

I have the 16GB version of that. While it's handy to have, it's slow as hell for writes.

Also, I think they were wanting the custom graphics that the other offered.

Ah, that makes more sense. "gently caress printers", right?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I was thinking an SA grenade, but gently caress printers sounds MUCH more fun.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:v: Dilbert I have problems with my view environment
:) OKay what's the problem
:v: Okay well logins take like 2-5 minutes
:) Lemme see your documentation
-assuming they have it-
:v: Well you have A/V scan the whole profile on startup because you hit next a bunch, didn't disable any IPv6 because you don't use it on the lan, also have some failed GPO's you haven't removed for mapped drive/printers that no longer exist.
:supaburn: WOW DILBERT YOU ARE MAGIC

Do people thing Going virtual means you can forget all problems of a infrastructure design or something?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 16, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes. I struggled to convince someone that files still needed somewhere to go, and CPU and RAM capacity had to exist, that virtualising didn't just magic resources out of the air.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Do people thing Going virtual means you can forget all problems of a infrastructure design or something?

No, they just never really understood that in the first place.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

Yes. I struggled to convince someone that files still needed somewhere to go, and CPU and RAM capacity had to exist, that virtualising didn't just magic resources out of the air.

Well since ~THE CLOUD~ is apparently going to put every hardware manufacturer out of business, it seems pretty obvious that you don't actually need any sort of hardware for anything any more!

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'm in favor of "in case of emergency, do the needful" with a big old arrow pointing toward the bottle opener.

Content: I keep wavering between hating my job and loving it. I hate the poo poo I inherited and I hate how part of the reason I'm kept on is because I innately understand how poo poo works. I I try to fix it by documenting like crazy (like commenting on code checkins and making my level one guys document) but there's still too much mystery. Then I get dumped with a million tickets escalated to me for some bizarre reason, and there goes my week.

On the other hand, I love it at times because when I design poo poo and it works, it's a drat good feeling. I love when I plan poo poo out and execute it cleanly, and I get to tell my manager that my plan worked. I love the relative freedom I have here, and I appreciate how I still have a job, and hopefully will still have a job when the government defaults.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Unironically, YES.

"They are VM's. Those are free."

I still have people wanting to deploy a 4gb mem, 2vcpu VM for each service they want to provide. (One for named. One for nfs. one for samba. another for backup dns) and wonder why the 4vcpu and 2gb of memory they purchased makes all those VM's seem SLOW.

(yet almost nobody notices any of the legitimate weaknesses in our platform)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casull posted:

I'm in favor of "in case of emergency, do the needful" with a big old arrow pointing toward the bottle opener.

Yes, this, please. Having the SA grenade is so embarrassingly nerdy I don't think I could bring myself to buy one. At least if someone asks what 'do the needful' means I can explain it and not feel like a huge dork.

Phatty2x4
Dec 11, 2002
Masseous Gaseous Produceous

Bob Morales posted:

7) At least I got to explain to the helpdesk guys why this setup is loving retarded and they should never do anything like that again and our boss is a maroon

Maroon - Hah. Haven't heard that since bugs bunny

What a maroon
He's a guli-bull
He's a nin-cow-poop

My favorite now is - what does hell does that acronym stand for. What the gently caress was wrong with the old acronym.
I see acronym changes almost weekly now.

I'm like "the gently caress is this - the gently caress was that" as new acronyms get thrown about like a cheap hooker in a bachelor party.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Caged posted:

Can't you just download more ram? :v:

Stupid thing pissing me off today: Training old people. If you're 60-70 years old and don't want to learn about computers WTF are you working in document management?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phatty2x4 posted:

What a maroon
He's a guli-bull
He's a nin-cow-poop

My favorite now is - what does hell does that acronym stand for. What the gently caress was wrong with the old acronym.
I see acronym changes almost weekly now.

I'm like "the gently caress is this - the gently caress was that" as new acronyms get thrown about like a cheap hooker in a bachelor party.
People can't memorize computer industry acronyms.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I've had one system, part of the new online/mobile rollout we're doing, change names 4 times in 2 weeks, depending entirely on which yahoo you're talking to. The Integration Web Server is either IWS (integrated Web Services), FGS (gateway server), SFX (gently caress me running I have no idea) or Integration. But integration includes the ESB (enterprise service bus) service as well, and part of THAT includes ESM (enterprise service management) and then you've got the actual online and app components of the actual product and *those* have different names and I swear to god it sounds like I'm making this up but i'm not and :negative:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's 2013 and Excel still can't handle opening two files with the same name.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Antioch posted:

I've had one system, part of the new online/mobile rollout we're doing, change names 4 times in 2 weeks, depending entirely on which yahoo you're talking to.
Well that's what you get for doing business with a search company that hasn't been relevant since the 90s, and whose best plan to become relevant was to buy Tumblr and ruin it.

Sorry, I am not feeling very helpful today, but I will try to solve your acronym issues:

Antioch posted:

The Integration Web Server is either IWS
Incompetent Web Service

Antioch posted:

FGS (gateway server)
loving Gateway Server

Antioch posted:

SFX (gently caress me running I have no idea)
Stupid loving... I dunno, Exchange.

Antioch posted:

But integration includes the ESB

Lum fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 16, 2013

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Verdugo posted:

http://downloadmoreram.com/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

John Dough posted:

It's 2013 and Excel still can't handle opening two files with the same name.

Excel has a million bad quirks, some left over from the Windows 3.1 days. None of them will ever be fixed because a large part of the Excel userbase is people who just memorise by rote the series of things they have to click to make X happen - and you're not allowed to change anything to upset those people ever!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sweevo posted:

...people who just memorise by rote the series of things they have to click to make X happen - and you're not allowed to change anything to upset those people ever!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Verdugo posted:

Does ramzawap (or whatever they call it now) count?

That poo poo is awesome for embedded devices.

Things pissing me off? Support mgr yelling at me for performing a change that was scheduled. He is demanding I get written up for some reason. My boss cannot stop laughing at least.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

1) gently caress printers.

2) I'm not sure which is more infuriating: the jerry-rigged setup that sends our users their passwords in plaintext email when creating/modifying their accounts, or the users themselves for replying en masse to these automated emails without removing their password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nitrogen posted:

Things pissing me off? Support mgr yelling at me for performing a change that was scheduled. He is demanding I get written up for some reason. My boss cannot stop laughing at least.

I can't get my head around this at all. I can understand someone being irritated with something that you did, I can understand them wanting assurances that it won't happen again, but to insist on that assurance being something documented by HR just seems so loving petty and doesn't address the original issue at all, except perhaps making them feel better.

Is this person that guy who would continually grass people up at school or what?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This pissing me off daily: voip changeovers.

Our MSP is supporting a client going through a VOIP upgrade right now and it's a shitshow nightmare of the highest order, I field calls daily with irate end users, today alone one guy has called 4 times about the same issue, has fought my troubleshooting every step of the way and flat out told me he refuses to do anything because, it worked fine prior to the changeover it should work fine now and the tech that was out there completing the changeover needs to come back and fix it.

Now it's not this guys fault that his poo poo is hosed and it's not my fault, a huge part of the problem is poo poo project management that poorly planned and poorly executed this, but drat it work with me because I'm trying to help you and yelling/bitching/complaining/threatening is not going to get this fixed faster and just ruins my drat day.

This has been my life for the last 2-3months and we've still got another 3-4months left in this project, plus whatever time it takes to resolve lingering issues.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

New update (busy week): we prepaid for about a dozen licenses for some software whose programmers apparently think "Duplicate every calendar entry for every user any time any user syncs a mobile device" = "integrates seamlessly with Google" because the owner didn't want to waste time on a test setup.

1500 invites for Monday's meeting, for every person invited to said meeting. Working as intended.

At least the syncs are becoming less frequent; we're locked into syncing every 10 minutes, but because there are so many entries it now takes about three hours to complete one sync. So the problem really fixes itself, we went from 18 duplicate entries in that three hour span to just one! :downs:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Phatty2x4 posted:

What a maroon
He's a guli-bull
He's a nin-cow-poop

My favorite:

What a ta-ra-ra-goon-dee-aye

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just spent 12 hours between yesterday and today patching a Windows 2003 R2 box that hasn't been patched since early 2009. Bleh. 194 Patches total I think. Those .Net patches can gently caress right off.

Before any of you think I don't know what I'm doing, I had very good reasons it had to be done manually.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Those .Net patches can gently caress right off.

How on earth can those patches take so long? They aren't even saturating disk IO or CPU when they're running. They just take forever with no easily discernable reason.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Motronic posted:

How on earth can those patches take so long? They aren't even saturating disk IO or CPU when they're running. They just take forever with no easily discernable reason.

I can't say for certain, but I seem to recall reading that it was ngen.exe compiling stuff in the background that was the culprit.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Caged posted:

I can't get my head around this at all. I can understand someone being irritated with something that you did, I can understand them wanting assurances that it won't happen again, but to insist on that assurance being something documented by HR just seems so loving petty and doesn't address the original issue at all, except perhaps making them feel better.

Is this person that guy who would continually grass people up at school or what?

usually he's a good guy, but i'm not sure wtf happened. His director straightened him out, so hopefully he'll chill. I think i might have just caught him on a bad day.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TWBalls posted:

I can't say for certain, but I seem to recall reading that it was ngen.exe compiling stuff in the background that was the culprit.

Oh god .Net patches.

Yes, there are some .net patches that force a recompile of the environment and releasing that patch to a set of VMs makes for a loooong night...

Edit: new poo poo that pisses me off: "smart" photo viewer software

Until the entire world uses smart photo viewer software, and every piece of software capable of rendering an image autorotates, please for gently caress's sake take a moment and make sure your photos are rotated properly.

I love visiting a web page and seeing a picture of the CEO on its side because someone took the picture with an iPhone and loaded it straight to the page.

What cracks me up the most is seeing pictures of hardware porn posted to "tech web sites" by users who ought to know better. Yes, that is a cabinet of thousands of dollars of gear, but you posted it on its side and then couldn't be bothered to edit it once you posted it. Stay the gently caress away from MY gear, then.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Today, I'm mad that I can't just apply for a job with a cover letter email linking to my CV on my personal domain.

Or at least everyone seems to think that I'm super weird for wanting to do so.