Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Steve2911 posted:

KHII came out years before and they didn't know what direction they'd be taking it, so that's irrelevent.

358/2 Days began development right as KHIIFM was released, so actually it is very relevant because a lot of the scenes that they added to KHIIFM have a lot to do with Days. Even then, it expands upon a lot of things already touched upon in vanilla KHII so it's not irrelevant at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I hope the Rock titan doesn't mean another return to Olympia, I'm getting pretty friggin sick of that world and Alladins.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think we're getting an actual Athens this time or at least I hope.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I think we're getting an actual Athens this time or at least I hope.

Well that boss seemed to be set on Thunder Mountain (IIRC), so maybe not.

I'd much rather a full on Hercules level than another loving tournament thing though, yeah.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In KHII, however, they are literally just soulless reproductions that do nothing to further the overall plot until you go back a second time and deal with the Org members. Even then, it seemed really tacked on.

You'd best start liking soulless reproductions, Sora.

You're in one

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Spiffo posted:

You'd best start liking soulless reproductions, Sora.

You're in one

I really couldn't take that world seriously seeing the hilariously clashing art styles of Cartoony pete with realistic looking Barbossa.

I wouldn't mind a return to the world through, I just really want to fight Davy jones :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

People wanting there to be no Olympus are unlikely to be happy. It's an easy-to-use excuse for having a coliseum/tournament setting, and if the JRPGs I've played over the years are any indication, people in Japan LOVE these drat coliseums.

(I do too, however, so I'd be totally happy with a third visit to Olympus becauses, annoying though it was, the Coliseums are some of my favorite content in all the games they appear in. That was even the best world in Re:Coded!)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

I hope the Rock titan doesn't mean another return to Olympia, I'm getting pretty friggin sick of that world and Alladins.

I've said it before, but I would like to see some kind of mash up of recurring worlds if they bring them back again. Agrabah/Olympus Colosseum, Halloween Town/Wonderland, Atlantica/Port Royal, and so forth. I think Disney has some stipulation about the worlds not interacting though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Having to repeat an entire 10+ stage gauntlet because the boss at the end killed me just makes me want to never touch it again. They're awful, always.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do find it nice how KH2 tried to at least change the look of the coliseum with the Underworld. That didn't help it a ton, but it was a nice thought and the fact they expanded the world helps it out quite abit.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Game looks very rough with a lot of placeholder. It's like a developer's play test area.

Pixeltendo posted:

Olympia is a game designer's dream. It's a good entry level world with a Colosseum and has an excuse to have arena based fights.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I've said it before, but I would like to see some kind of mash up of recurring worlds if they bring them back again. Agrabah/Olympus Colosseum, Halloween Town/Wonderland, Atlantica/Port Royal, and so forth. I think Disney has some stipulation about the worlds not interacting though.

Who knows, maybe by now Kingdom Hearts is big enough that Disney can ease those restrictions.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

358/2 Days began development right as KHIIFM was released, so actually it is very relevant because a lot of the scenes that they added to KHIIFM have a lot to do with Days. Even then, it expands upon a lot of things already touched upon in vanilla KHII so it's not irrelevant at all.

Splitting hairs between irrelevant and unnecessary. We didn't need a whole new game just to patchwork the somehow-rushed-after-5-years-in-development plot of KH2, and it's not as though Days actually clears up anything that actually needed an explanation. Yeah, it expands, not on anything that particularly needed to be expanded on. You can safely ignore it without being (especially) confused by anything later on, besides "who the hell is Xion?"

It's kind of moot anyway when any semblance of plot coherence is out of the window now. What's the point of having a game that just makes the context of another game slightly clearer if later on time travel in introduced in a way that goes out of its way to be so nonsensical the only explanation is Nomura is just trolling or genuinely insane.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have no issues with Olympus returning so long James Wood is there as Hades. Through I do wonder with stuff like Rock Titan showing up there and Ursula in the 3DS game that the whole world balance thing they made a big deal about in the original game got destroyed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BioMe posted:

Splitting hairs between irrelevant and unnecessary. We didn't need a whole new game just to patchwork the somehow-rushed-after-5-years-in-development plot of KH2, and it's not as though Days actually clears up anything that actually needed an explanation. Yeah, it expands, not on anything that particularly needed to be expanded on. You can safely ignore it without being (especially) confused by anything later on, besides "who the hell is Xion?"

It's kind of moot anyway when any semblance of plot coherence is out of the window now. What's the point of having a game that just makes the context of another game slightly clearer if later on time travel in introduced in a way that goes out of its way to be so nonsensical the only explanation is Nomura is just trolling or genuinely insane.

KHII was in development before the first game? :raise:

Anyway, I guess I agree but at the same time it exists in movie form now so there's really no reason to skip it any more.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Tri-State Area from Phineas and Ferb should be in Kingdom Hearts III. It would be a perfect mini-game world, but if they want to bring back 100 Acre Wood, it would be a great level in its own right.

Disney also owns ESPN, so Chris Berman could be the boss of the Sports Center.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

KHII was in development before the first game? :raise:

Anyway, I guess I agree but at the same time it exists in movie form now so there's really no reason to skip it any more.

Who likes KH cutscenes enough to want to watch them as a movie though?

And five years isn't much off for the writing. Four years between the games and there was obviously something on paper for a sequel before they finished the first one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Personally I would love more scenes from the movies, but only if they at least put, you know, some goddamn music. And people. Also, I wouldn't like a Little Mermaid style musical stage, but it would be great if each Disney world had one or more songs from the soundtrack as a minigame, or something.

Fojar38 posted:

I thought that KH2 was relatively straightforward. I'd peg BBS as to when the series became a clusterfuck.

I have the opposite opinion; KH2 was ridiculously convoluted, but playing BBS somehow retroactively made KH2's story comprehensible to me. But then DDD came and they adapted Primer into a level and aaaaaaa

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Argue posted:

but it would be great if each Disney world had one or more songs from the soundtrack as a minigame, or something.
You are a madman.

And one of my biggest bugbears with the first game replaying it (can't remember what KH2 was like in this regard) is that almost none of the levels have music from the movies, instead having a really short, not very good loop that sort of sounds like it could be from the movie. It gets really grating after a few minutes.

Except the Hollow Bastion loop which is perfect.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

That loving Sned posted:

For example, nothing that happens throughout the entirety of Days to the fourteen main characters has anything close to the impact of something that happens in Kingdom Hearts II where Goofy dies. It turns out he's fine, because as a cartoon character he's used to being hit on the head, but it's still the best moment in the series.

That's not a cartoon rule, it's a Disney rule. Disney is famous for fake deaths like that. I like to think it was a deliberate inclusion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nomura did an interview today. Here are the translated highlights from Kingdom Hearts Ultimania

quote:

-KH3 will be the conclusion of the Dark Seeker saga.

-Since it’s a return to consoles, which have a less limiting field of view, Nomura wants you to feel the depth capabilities in the new trailer

-KH is a game with developing action, every game takes it a step further, different challenges and bold new systems.

-He wants to keep all the different systems in mind when developing a system that stays in line with KH1 and KH2

-Sora’s movements have been upgraded, he’s much more fluid. They’re at an early stage of development so ideas of what kind of elements are up in the air. But he wants to balance RPG elements with action too.

-Since PS4 has the capabilities, he wants to make use of all the field space and take on large numbers of enemies.

-He’s considering an interactive field space, like rocks crumbling as you scale a mountainside, and enemies being able to climb too

-He wants to power up the AI, instead of having them all repeat the same programmed actions like in KH, enemies and partner AI alike

-Like in a FF title, you direct Donald and Goofy and they do what you say, but Nomura wants their personalities to reflect in their actions

-Since this is the first numbered title to cross into next gen, you can really feel the evolution of the series.

-Concerning graphics, he’s aiming for a photo realistic representation combined with a tone of each Disney world

-Can’t say what worlds will be coming to KH3 yet.

-There are many that haven’t been used yet, and those that repeat will take place in different locations

-When asked if KH3 will make use of Dual Shock 4, Nomura responds that KH3′s development isn’t as far as FF15′s, still deciding things

-When asked about corresponding features with tablet and PS Vita, Nomura says of course he’s considering external device correspondance, But he’s still considering ideas at the moment

-While the PS4 offers a lot of possibilities, there are a lot of things to worry about too. But he wants to put in as many elements as he can

-When asked what he thought of the PS4, Nomura jokingly said he thought it was overkill.

-When asked if the FF15 and KH3 teams effect one another, he says that seeing what each other is doing inspires them to work harder

-When asked if something will happen after the conclusion of the Dark Seeker Saga, Nomura said: It’s a Disney title too, so he can only speak for himself, but he does ideas for characters and developments that take place afterward. Maybe sometime there will be a chance to talk about that, but for now the focus is on developing KH3 to completion.

-He wants to put out KH3 quickly.

-Lastly, as a message to fans, he says that the power of expression has surpassed the past titles and that the play depth is greater. Everyone is working their hardest so that fans can get their hands on it quickly, so please look forward to future developments.

It might be a poor translation, but it sounds like he's very aware that it sounds like it'll take another 5 years, and wants to make sure that doesn't happen. I hope they don't wind up rushing it out or anything. They have a lot to prove with this game. What he says about pushing the hardware sounds promising though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This sounds like it could actually be the hardest Kingdom Hearts yet, weirdly enough. Hordes of enemies just throwing themselves at you with actual AI to wreck your poo poo. I'm not too sure how directing Donald and Goofy and other world exclusive party members will work either, no action game has really gotten that right to date.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Dark Seeker saga
No one is calling it that, Nomura.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

BioMe posted:

It's like catching someone trying to give themselves a nickname.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BioMe posted:

He is calling it that , and he writes the series. Therefore it is called that.

Anyway he has been calling it that for a while. It just means that Xehanort will no longer be the main antagonist after KHIII.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is the deal with Sora's John Woo handgun/blenders?

More importantly, why does he need guns when he can just spam Firaga?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Bust Rodd posted:

What is the deal with Sora's John Woo handgun/blenders?

More importantly, why does he need guns when he can just spam Firaga?

For all we know, that might be how he fires spells now.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
As far as another rehash of the Olympus Colosseum is concerned, I don't understand why they can't just have an actual Olympus world where you run around with Hercules and fight Heartless and stuff, and then after you've wrapped up the plot threads there, the Colosseum tournaments unlock as a side-quest thing you can do at your leisure over the rest of the game.

That said, I don't really care what worlds they visit in KH3 as long as one of them is based on Wreck-It Ralph. Hell, it'd even give them an excuse to shoehorn another kart racing minigame in.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

W.T. Fits posted:

That said, I don't really care what worlds they visit in KH3 as long as one of them is based on Wreck-It Ralph. Hell, it'd even give them an excuse to shoehorn another kart racing minigame in.

With that (loose) connection to Mario and Sonic, I think at that point just about every major game franchise would be linked in some convoluted way.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My rear end.

What is up with Square trying to do weird redundant branding? Fabio's Crystals didn't exactly catch on either. I don't know, maybe at least put your dumb subtitle in the actual product if you want it to? Of course that's not foolproof either, Days.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's still a dumb name. Or, at least, a dumb-sounding translation. Regardless of what it's called, when the All-the-'Norts Saga is over, I hope (though suspect they're not) going to return to the relative simplicity of a KH1 type plot - or have it not spread out over the course of several games on different systems (thank god for the remixes).

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The next saga should copy Epic mickeys plot and bring back Oswald as the main antagonist, and theres alternate dimension oswalds from different eras and Alice and Julius are back and about to make Sora, Donald and Goofy their bitch

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So like, keys and keyholes. They're inherent properties of worlds - natural worlds have keyholes. So keyholes are a natural phenomenon. Are we to then assume that keys and keyholes as man-made inventions are actually an appropriation of naturally occurring things? Or do the worlds have a creator?

Fake edit: I know the answer is actually 'holy poo poo, it's none of those you drat sperg' but it bugs me, in the same way that Pokémon say their own name. My realism

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So like, keys and keyholes. They're inherent properties of worlds - natural worlds have keyholes. So keyholes are a natural phenomenon. Are we to then assume that keys and keyholes as man-made inventions are actually an appropriation of naturally occurring things? Or do the worlds have a creator?

DDD says the Keyblade is apparently a weapon based off the X-Blade, a weapon that seems to be natural as the protector of Kingdom Hearts. People made Keyblades to try and get control of Kingdom Hearts, a huge war was fought with them that ended up pretty much destroying the world.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

DDD says the Keyblade is apparently a weapon based off the X-Blade, a weapon that seems to be natural as the protector of Kingdom Hearts. People made Keyblades to try and get control of Kingdom Hearts, a huge war was fought with them that ended up pretty much destroying the world.

This is so stupid

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spiffo posted:

This is so stupid

KingdomHearts.txt

Also Pokemon only say their own names in the anime :spergin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I see someone hasn't played X/Y

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I miss when Sora was actually like a mystic warrior chosen by destiny to wield this crazy weapon that could save the universe, instead of some kind of weird half remnant of a double ghost, and that keyblade was just one of like a million some dumb anime characters made to fight each other over a nebulous god weapon or something.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

KingdomHearts.txt

Except for Pikachu in X and Y, who is AFAIK literally the only Pokemon in those games that actually uses a voice clip instead of a generic creature sound.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

miscellaneous14 posted:

I miss when Sora was actually like a mystic warrior chosen by destiny to wield this crazy weapon that could save the universe,

Uh he was never that actually. A major point in KH1 is that he wasn't the Chosen One. Riku was, but Riku failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Either Nomura or the person doing the interview sure ain't an Xbox fan.