Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Diog, is it okay to eat monster meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I'm working away...just a heads up, I'm not terrible great at spreadsheets, so while functional it ain't terribly pretty. Feel free to poke your head in as I work to make sure I got your vote right. :sun:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AssH2CgrZy-ZdHdyV1VGNUh5NmkzZUZwWFpmN2hGS0E&usp=sharing

SerSpook posted:

You are a gentlelady and a scholar, FoxTerrier.

^^Why Thank You, Good Spook.

EDIT: Outrail I took you asking Az if he wanted goat literally. If that's not the case and you don't want to summon em just hop in and change it on the spreadsheet.

EDIT EDIT:

Ok. Phew. I think it's up to speed and accurate. Check if you wanna make sure I represented your vote right. :ohdear:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 15, 2013

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The kid isn't exactly great at wilderness survival. Just lash the tail spines to a good sturdy stick with some dried gut.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

Diog, is it okay to eat monster meat?

Everyone (us, Ishamal's friends) already ate minotaur meat. So it is probably ok.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
1. How do you feel about the fact you are currently undergoing hardships that you know pretty much no else has to deal with?
C. I am not mad, I want to make Tudiya proud.p

2. You...
I. You are physically AND emotionally exhausted having just won what was probably your first real life or death struggle, at least the first one in real combat anyway. Hug Snarls for support and stroke his fur. He looks pretty beat too. Poor guy.

3. Dinner time. Whatever it is you will now eat, you will eat...
M. I struggle through my immense hunger and fatigue and wait to cook the meat till I eat. I hope I don't pass out from exhaustion while I cook, which I may at this point.

4. I am going to eat what I can now and try to smoke the rest over the night. I am going to eat...
O. The jackal.

5. Are you going to make an offering of some of the meat to El?
T. Yes. The best meat from the jackal.

6. What if any bits and pieces from the monstrous jackal, do you want to hang onto? Fill in. You can try to hold onto the whole thing or specific pieces, but you have to fill it in. This one has too many options for multiple choice.
Use the tail to fashion a crude weapon using gut or sinew and a stick or bones. If the leg bones shatter, use them to make some rough throwing or fishing spears. The small shards or teeth can be used to fashion fish hooks for when we get to the ocean, just as the gut strings can be used as fishing line. Keep the skull as a bowl to drink out of or hold water, and keep the bladder as a canteen.

Every single piece can be used, so think back to your time with Jorah.

...and anything else you want to do which is relevant to your current situation right now, fill in.

Call up Azz, like I mentioned earlier. If he doesn't respond or says it's okay, smoke/dry the rest of the meat, including the goat. If he says no, offer it to him.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Thank you kindly for the count, goon sir. I will update when I get home.

RandomPaul. You know no specific prohibition on eating monsters though you imagine they may taste foul. You will know how the jackal tastes if you eat it.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1 - C
2 - I
3 - L
4 - O
5 - T
6 -
What are the sharpness, size, and shape of the claws and teeth? Depending on the answer we could try to improvise a saw from one side of its jaw, a spiked club from a femur and teeth, or a flail from a femur and tail. And the claws or teeth might be better for cutting and butchering than rocks. Try to skin and smoke the pelt even if we're going to do a terrible job at it.

Is the skull the right size to make a helm for ourselves or Snarls?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

maxhush posted:

Sacrifice the skull here too- It gets to El either way, and it'll save lugging it around for a month. Our sacrifices are for him anyway, not for trying to impress everyone- they can go get hosed what they think cause they haven't done the proper test. I bet Tudiya would say "El cares not how grand the altar, only the meaning of the sacrifice" or something, so lets be practical.

That's an interesting idea. I just wanted to keep some monster jackal because it may come in handy later. Maybe if we squeeze/smack the head in the right way, it will shoot fireballs!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Casting a quick vote to eating the heart of this thing raw, and then we can do whatever with everything else.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

voting to paint a third eye on our forehead in jackal blood just because we're a badass. Also call Az and ask him if it is okay to eat the goat since the jackal already killed it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diog, quick question, what do we believe Tudiya would think of parts from this jackal as our sacrifice?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

falcon2424 posted:

...So now we're here, cold, hungry, and still able to murderkill monster-jackals with our god-drat bare hands....

Fixed. Otherwise I agree with your sentiments.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Gut an sinew from the jackal so we can make a fail bow.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SerSpook posted:

Casting a quick vote to eating the heart of this thing raw, and then we can do whatever with everything else.
I'm seeing a lot of votes and suggestions to do this, but I think everyone is missing something very important.

We just killed a monster :siren: bare-handed :siren:. Tudiya is the only other person we've seen do this ever. And the temple regularly sends out whole groups of well-equipped dudes, some taller and stronger than us, and none of them ever come back. Killing this jackel marks us as bona fide heroes. Even if you ignore the blocking fire balls with a torch

1. How do you feel about the fact you are currently undergoing hardships that you know pretty much no else has to deal with?
D. I want to prove I am a man by overcoming this adversity!

2. You...
J. You have things to do. You can rest later. But the first thing is give Snarls a hug, he's earned it.

3. Dinner time. Whatever it is you will now eat, you will eat...
L. I eat a little bit to keep my strength up raw and cook the rest. Snarls thinks it is okay.

4. I am going to eat what I can now and try to smoke the rest over the night. I am going to eat...
O. The jackal.

5. Are you going to make an offering of some of the meat to El?
T. Yes. The best meat from the jackal.

6. What if any bits and pieces from the monstrous jackal, do you want to hang onto? Fill in. You can try to hold onto the whole thing or specific pieces, but you have to fill it in. This one has too many options for multiple choice.
Skin it, as best we're able. Even strips of hide will make decent grips for stone knives and help protect our feet. Although obviously some sort of container to carry all the meat we're cooking/smoking would be best.

Stay away from the barbs, we're likely to gently caress our fingers up messing with them. Take the skull for a trophy - and hey! It's hollow, we can put stuff in that baby.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LLSix posted:

I'm seeing a lot of votes and suggestions to do this, but I think everyone is missing something very important.

We just killed a monster :siren: bare-handed :siren:. Tudiya is the only other person we've seen do this ever. And the temple regularly sends out whole groups of well-equipped dudes, some taller and stronger than us, and none of them ever come back. Killing this jackel marks us as bona fide heroes. Even if you ignore the blocking fire balls with a torch

It's possible that three-eyed fire jackals don't really register on the scale of what most people think of when they say monsters. Tudiya would probably have scratched this thing behind the ear and started to pay fetch with it.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In fairness we did also show the better part of valor by running away from the giant(ish), regenerating forest lizard.

Danal would find it very cool though.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 16, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Diog, quick question, what do we believe Tudiya would think of parts from this jackal as our sacrifice?

It is no minotaur or a naga, but based upon your knowledge of Tudiya and the religious practices of the men of Zepath, it's skill would probably work as an offering, albeit a lesser one, maybe in line with a cow or two.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
We don't have to pick an offering now. I'm all for gathering as many potential offerings as possible, just in case something happens to take some away. Right now we have the Vayahi Or fire and Jackal monster parts, and are going to try for pearls when (if) we make it to the coast. As long as we aren't impeded by carrying them, there's no reason not to keep a number of options.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neraren posted:

We don't have to pick an offering now. I'm all for gathering as many potential offerings as possible, just in case something happens to take some away. Right now we have the Vayahi Or fire and Jackal monster parts, and are going to try for pearls when (if) we make it to the coast. As long as we aren't impeded by carrying them, there's no reason not to keep a number of options.

If we're going to gather all the offerings we can, we better find a Bag of Holding soon. Or at least figure out how to make a bag or large basket.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Angela Christine posted:

If we're going to gather all the offerings we can, we better find a Bag of Holding soon. Or at least figure out how to make a bag or large basket.

Not going to happen. Pockets don't even exist. I remember asking Diog about this. This is a civilization that hasn't even begun to explore containment technologies and magics.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The beast is slain and you are, VICTORIOUS!

You plop down, utterly exhausted, tired, hungry and emotionally drained. You hug Snarls, who wags his tail, tiredly and licks your face. He does not appear to have taken any injuries at all in the fight. The only comfort available to you in this wilderness are his soft fur and so you bury your face in his side and hug him tightly. He wags his tail happily and pants and seems as relieved as you.

Good boy.

You have had to go through great hardship in your trial so far, but you do not look towards Tudiya with anger and it seems, harbor little resentment in you but rather focus with a grim determination to prove you are a man.

With food so close at hand, you feel somehow, dizzier and fear you may pass out, even now. To steady yourself, you gab a rock and crudely rip off a chunk of the jackal's flesh and chew upon it, the blood dripping down your face and the taste of it's uncooked flesh both satisfying and nauseating.

You have lived in Zepath for five years now. You have spent a great deal of time with Tudiya and you have spent many hours helping Danal clean El's temple, a task he apparently must do as Tudiya's son and one he always found incredibly boring. You have a good understanding of the basic ritual practices and beliefs of the men of Zepath and every person, no matter how they get their food, is expected to give the first and the best of their food, each season, in an offering to El. For hunters who may comb the hills near Zepath for prey, when they make their first kill, they are expected to make an altar to El on the spot and offer up the choicest cuts of meat.

You have made your first kill of the season and so you do the same.

Weary and exhausted, you pile up a flat rock atop each other.

Then you expend further exhaustion to gather up scrubby bits of bushes and place fuel for a fire atop it. You do not find any sharp rocks and so you experimentally break several rocks apart by smashing them against each other till you manage to make one with a serviceable, if very crude edge. As you work, you continue to chew upon small bits of bloody meat from the jackal.

The work is dirty, messy and rather wasteful, but you manage to cut off a good sized piece of meat from the side of the jackal. You lay it atop the altar and hold your torch in one hand and then bow your head for a traditional prayer.

"Blessed are you El, king of the world, who blesses man with the bounty of the beasts of wild places."

You touch the torch to the kindling...

There is a great gout of fire and you feel yourself thrown on your back from the roaring inferno which appears atop the crude stone altar. You sit up, dazed but uninjured. After a few moments the fire is gone, simply gone, the kindling with it and the meat utterly disintegrated leaving not even ashes and only a black stain atop the altar, the rock burned black, the rock was smooth but you now see several cracks in it, created by the heat of the flames.

That was... you have never seen a sacrifice anything like THAT before in El's temple, where the altar is almost always kept burning and meat added to it, like logs to a fire. You... you... you can pretty sure that your offering has found favor.

The last rays of sunlight fade from the horizon. You prepare a second fire and cook more of the jackals meat. A meal very hard earned and in your starving state, possibly the best thing you have ever eaten. You eat, eat and continue to eat, having enough food to satisfy the gnawing hunger which was within you for the first time in days. Snarls seems rather pleased and also eats heartily.

Your meal completed, you call out to Azzazel, telling the open air that you did not slay the goat and leave it, for him. There is no obvious response, natural, supernatural or otherwise. If Azzazel hears or if he watches, he gives no hint. You spend several hours working on the carcass of the jackal as best you can. You carefully pry it's third eye out of it's socket and drop it into a fold in your robe. You strip what flesh you can from the skull and warm it in the fire, then set it aside, to clean it further in the morning.

The claws of the beast are not especially sharp and so you leave them. You consider prying out it's teeth, but you fear you might damage the skull in doing so and so you leave them in as well, for now. The tail of the jackal, once menacing is too flexible to be a useful club and you realize swiftly if you tried to use it as a whip of some sort you will be as much of a danger to yourself as any foe, but as you try to pry some of the barbs off, you prick your finger and in anger, smash the tail with a rock.

The quills do not break.

You try hitting one quill, carefully again with a rock, this time on purpose, just one.

The quill does not break.

Grasping the edge of the quills you try to bend it and find you cannot. The quills are strong, very, very strong, as strong as metal it might seem, possibly stronger, it is tough to tell out here but bashing them with rocks do not even seem to scratch them. You place one in your fire and the fire does not seem to harm it either. You prick yourself several times in the process but you manage to get most of the quills off of the tail. You have no other sources of wood available and little you could use as a club, you try to gauge using one of the jackals bones as a club but realize that they are too small, even it's limbs.

Yet your torch is about two feet long and a fairly sturdy piece of wood. You carefully hammer the quills into the edge of your club and now have a rather menacing club.

You hammer the quills into the edge of the club. Later, when you have better access to wood, you could likely simply burn the club to recover the quills if you intended to use them for something else but for now at least, you have a far more menacing weapon. Your efforts to work the hide of the beast into anything useful fail, you have never skinned an animal before, nor have you ever tried to smoke meat. You leave chunks of meat on rocks spaced out at different intervals from the center of the fire, hoping that at least some of it will be preserved.

You work for several hours and then pause to stare up at the night sky.

Here in the wilderness the stars somehow seem... brighter. Eventually you lay down for the night. Snarls licks your face once and gives his tail a happy wag. He yawns and snuggles close as you grip him tightly. The fire may keep away predators and at least tonight, your hunger is satisfied.

The sun rises.

In the morning you find that you have ruined a fair portion of the meat you meant to smoke, but not all of it. That which is not charcoal is certainly not tasty, but it is still edible and you put as much of it as you can into a fold in your robe. You learned a bit at least about how to smoke meat and the next time some meat is at hand, you can expect to do better job preserving it.

You continue on your journey through the seemingly endless scrubland and heat.

Day turns into night turns into day.

You drink disgusting water from cacti which tastes like piss. You find a handful of small pools of water. You fight off other scavengers for their kills. Twice you manage to chase down small game with Snarls, one time a rabbit and another time, some sort of flightless bird about the size of a dog. You cannot get the six meals you are used to, you hear the the calls of strange beasts at night and swelter in the day but you survive and you do not again feel the immense discomfort you felt when you first parted from Tudiya on your way to the forest. When you have enough meat, you make small offerings to El but you do not fight any monsters like the three eyed jackal and none of your other offerings receive the same sort of response as your first. Nor were you quite so starving when you made your other offerings, before then eating...

You do not thrive by any means but you do, survive and you do not again seem to face a serious threat of dying from starvation, thirst or exhaustion. You learn a great deal about surviving in an arid wasteland, if not how to live in one comfortably. You lose some weight and hunger is a constant companion but not, an overwhelming one. You managed to keep your torch alive, the entire way, putting it out at night when you made a new fire and kindling it in the embers of that fire each dawn.

Somewhere along the way you lose track of the days. It may have been a few days more or a few days less than two weeks but eventually, you pass into a forest which does not look like it covers a single hillside but rather, one which goes on and on, the green a welcome sight to the dusty endless hills and flat land you have walked through. The forest is not at all unlike the forests which can be found in some of the hills near Zepath, but denser, firs, pines and cedars, many of them, standing tall.

The trees are not like the forests of Athar where you grew up, which lay two months further south, trees are not tropical and the forest is not nearly as dense, but it is denser than any forest near Zepath.

Snarls barks twice.

The smell of salt!

You are almost there.

You pass through the treeline and the smell fills your nostrils. You... have made it to the sea.

Snarl's eyes go wide and he races to the seas as if he was an excited puppy who has never seen the ocean before which of course, he is.

1. Do you let Snarls go swimming?
A. What? Yes, of course! And I go swim with him!
B. No.

You need to decide where to set up your camp... at least for tonight.

2. I set up my camp...
C. On the beach. If there are any monsters nearby or in the forest, it is a large open space, so I will see them coming. It also keeps me closer to to the sea where I can fish and pearl hunt.

D. The men of Zepath all seem dead certain that going into the ocean is a death sentence and that monsters lurk within the deep. I don't want something coming for me as I sleep... I make my camp on the edge of the beach, just within the treeline. The men of Zepath are paranoid because the sea is strange to them, I know it is not that dangerous.

E. ...maybe a bit further into the forest.

F. No, seriously, deep in the forest, at least two hours from the beach... who knows what sort of monsters are in there...

G. ...one of those monsters might be Asherah. Further. Three hours from the beach, past the forest, back into the open scrub land so I can see anything coming from far off.

H. Somewhere else. Fill in.

3. You are at the sea. After tonight, will you stay here, or move further north, hoping to find where the river which flows from Zepath into the sea Zepath and set up your more permanent camp, there?

I. I set up camp here. When I have my pearls and/or other offerings, then I will go back to Zepath.

J. I spend a day here to get some food and then head north, to try to find the river and go pearl hunting where the river meets the sea.

K. I have another idea related to this question. Fill in.

We will get into more detail on your next steps after these issues in the next vote, feel free to propose general ideas and strategy now and heck, if an idea is really popular we can roll it into the next update, but I would prefer to get into more detail after you make these basic decisions, so we at least know where you are. We will get into more details on what tools you managed to make along the way, and you did make a few, in the next update, along with a full rundown of all of your possessions.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 16, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

From IRC posted:

<Siege> Diog: have we ever made a sacrifice to el before?
<Diog> Of course, as often as any other youth in Zepath.
<Diog> Making offerings are part of life.
<Siege> Was it personal sacrifices, or were we just doing it as part of the ceremony
<Siege> going along with the ceremony, etc
<Diog> Going along with ceremonies and general ritual observances. You had very little of your own to offer as a sacrifice. Tudiya's household provided pretty much everything you ever needed in life.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 16, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
1. .
2. .
3. .

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 16, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Cool, this manhood trial, so far, is going better than I could have expected.

Anyway.

1: B: No. Not right away, anyway. We're excited too to see the ocean, thrilled to our core in a way we couldn't have expected, the smell, the general sensations hitting that nostalgia nerve hard. But we're wary too, Asherah left a serious psychological mark on us. We're not outright sure the ocean is a threat, but we're not going to jump right into it until we've had a chance to take it slowly, and that goes double for our dog. Sure he's probably got no real reason to fear, Asherah wouldn't be out for him personally, but caution before anything else.

2: E: We want to be safely away from the shoreline, at least for the moment, don't want any mansharks wandering up and devouring us. Yet we don't want to be so far away that it impedes our ability to get back and forth from the shore in a timely fashion, for days full of potential fishing and pearl hunting.

3: J: Was going to go with I, but there's no real reason to stay here as opposed to finding the river first, if we've as much reason to expect to find pearls there as here. Even if not, we have some offerings already, so it wouldn't be a horrible loss to be without pearls, and the benefits are great. Finding the river would allow us easy access to fresh water and fish even if we need to leave the ocean itself in a hurry, and we'll have a better idea for how far away we are for when we need to return.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Ask ourselves: Do we know where pearls would be easier to find? What about fishing? What's the best place to camp on the beach? Anything else important related to beachs and sea survival that we can remember?

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 16, 2013

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1. Do you let Snarls go swimming?
A. What? Yes, of course! And I go swim with him!

2. I set up my camp...

D. The men of Zepath all seem dead certain that going into the ocean is a death sentence and that monsters lurk within the deep. I don't want something coming for me as I sleep... I make my camp on the edge of the beach, just within the treeline. The men of Zepath are paranoid because the sea is strange to them, I know it is not that dangerous.

3. You are at the sea. After tonight, will you stay here, or move further north, hoping to find where the river which flows from Zepath into the sea Zepath and set up your more permanent camp, there?

I. I set up camp here. When I have my pearls and/or other offerings, then I will go back to Zepath.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

1. .
2. .
3. .
Sounds good to me!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Feels good, guys :unsmith:

Question relating to 2: can we tell how far out the water stays relatively shallow? If it's a respectable distance I see no reason why we couldn't set up on the beach.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 16, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A, C, J

Swimming is fun, and we want to be able to see monsters coming. We'll only be here for one day anyway - no point wasting time walking back and forth too much. When we reach the river, we can try to find a permanent, safe campsite.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

1A, lets go swimming. 2C, we grow up on the shore, we're safer here then in the forest where they could be any number of monsters. We KNOW what monsters live near the sea.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1: A. We probably shouldn't go in too deep, but Snarls has stuck with us this long - he should have a chance to have some fun!
2: E. While some sort of attack from ocean isn't guaranteed, it's still not the best idea to tempt chance.
3: J. It would probably be less dangerous than the ocean proper, and having fresh water readily available is always pretty awesome!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Theglavwen posted:

Cool, this manhood trial, so far, is going better than I could have expected.

Anyway.

1: B: No. Not right away, anyway. We're excited too to see the ocean, thrilled to our core in a way we couldn't have expected, the smell, the general sensations hitting that nostalgia nerve hard. But we're wary too, Asherah left a serious psychological mark on us. We're not outright sure the ocean is a threat, but we're not going to jump right into it until we've had a chance to take it slowly, and that goes double for our dog. Sure he's probably got no real reason to fear, Asherah wouldn't be out for him personally, but caution before anything else.

2: E: We want to be safely away from the shoreline, at least for the moment, don't want any mansharks wandering up and devouring us. Yet we don't want to be so far away that it impedes our ability to get back and forth from the shore in a timely fashion, for days full of potential fishing and pearl hunting.

Seconded for #1 & 2. We love the sea, but are still a bit rattled deep down and want to be cautious.

3. I Stay by the ocean and face our fears.

Totally was not expecting that response to the offering btw. I guess our El faith just leveled up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I want to ask Snarls if he smells or senses anything dangerous around here. Also warn him not to drink the water.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
1)A - Scan for any signs of possible danger and then hop in!

2)D - Let's be wary, but I am not sure if the forest is any safer.

3)J - Are there any streams nearby? If not it might be smarter to go to the river so we have lots of fresh water, we have to go there anyway. It can't be that far, considering the ocean itself is weeks from Zepath.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ask ourselves: Do we know where pearls would be easier to find? What about fishing? What's the best place to camp on the beach? Anything else important related to beachs and sea survival that we can remember?

It has been years, but you once spent long days in the sea. The climate is a bit colder here, but finding fish should not be a problem and pearls, you will have to dive in and look. The location of your camp is unlikely to affect your ability to find fish or pearls, just the amount of time you need to spend getting to and from the sea.

SerSpook posted:

I want to ask Snarls if he smells or senses anything dangerous around here. Also warn him not to drink the water.

Snarls shakes his head. He does not smell anything dangerous.

Tsyni posted:

3)J - Are there any streams nearby? If not it might be smarter to go to the river so we have lots of fresh water, we have to go there anyway. It can't be that far, considering the ocean itself is weeks from Zepath.

Snarls indicates to you by doggy pantomime that he smells fresh water about an hour north of here.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 16, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

1. .
2. .
3. .

In light of the information we have, I'm with this.

Also, I think this is another mark in the "El is probably real, or something exists that will act as El" column. That fire was not natural.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Question relating to 2: can we tell how far out the water stays relatively shallow? If it's a respectable distance I see no reason why we couldn't set up on the beach.

The beach looks relatively shallow and gradually gets deeper. High tide is not reaching the treeline.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there any obvious source of drinking water around here?

B. Not yet. Swimming is fun but tiring, we need to set up a camp before we spend energy on fun.

2. I set up my camp...
D. In the tree line. If monsters come from the sea we can head for the woods, and if they come from the forest we can head for the water.

J. I spend a day here to get some food and then head north, to try to find the river and go pearl hunting where the river meets the sea. We can't actually drink seawater, and this forest is unlikely to have piss cactus or coconut trees. Getting close to a river would be a good thing. Athar must have had a creek or a well or something nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Did our village have any customs about where to make camps?

I know villages fed Asherah to avoid his wrath. And I'm wondering how they saw being on the beach, away from a village.

Also, when our people were traveling, did they walk on the beach, or would they walk in the trees? (It could make sense to set up camp where random people are less likely to trip over us)