Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ThetaOmnikron posted:

A question I know has probably been asked before: what are the odds of the Tati films coming back into print? Figured I should ask before overpaying for Playtime on Bluray.....

Good, but it will take time. StudioCanal did get distribution of the Tati films, but they only own Trafic (from the same package that Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge are part of). The rest of the films are owned by Tati's estate/trust and only licensed to StudioCanal. A separate deal was apparently made to Janus/Criterion.

I'd hold off on Playtime. While the film itself is worth $100, it's an older transfer from 35mm. There's a new digital restoration in the works, which would most likely be proper 4K from an 8K scan of the 65mm negative. It has a lot of DVNR and edge enhancement for a Criterion release.

I would assume Criterion would want to release a complete Tati box set, which would require waiting for the Playtime restoration and licensing Trafic from Lionsgate. Which isn't impossible since they got Naqoyqatsi from Lionsgate for the Qatsi set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Fantastic Mr. Fox is coming soon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oh my god, I've been waiting for this for way too long.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wow, really unexpected considering the quality of the original Blu.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Would Fantastic Mr. Fox be the first animated film they've released (ignoring laserdisc of course)?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

Would Fantastic Mr. Fox be the first animated film they've released (ignoring laserdisc of course)?

Some of the shorts on By Brakhage probably count, but I think that's it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zenintrude posted:

Wow, really unexpected considering the quality of the original Blu.

I'm kind of conflicted - I already own the first BD release, and it's really comprehensive, so I can't imagine what more the Criterion release would give us beyond that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

There's a stop-motion short on the Jean Painleve set (which is absolutely worth checking out). They released Akira on laserdisc, too.

I don't see Criterion getting Ralph Bakshi's films out the AIP library with Shout! releasing a lot of their films from MGM. The most I'd see would be Fantastic Planet since it's with Argos Films, which licenses to Criterion often.

As for Fox, the current Blu only has a fluffy making-of (that seems condensed from more comprehensive footage), trailers, and a few minutes of a Roald Dahl piece. Excellent a/v, of course.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion announcements tomorrow instead of today.

Although, it looks like we're definitely getting Thief and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

Although, it looks like we're definitely getting Thief

Would have rather Manhunter, but I'll take what I can get.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oh man, I already have it on blu-ray but I got it for like $5, and if this has a whole bunch of new stuff, I'll have to buy it.

The original is so so good, though, so it'll definitely be just for supplements.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zenintrude posted:

Would have rather Manhunter, but I'll take what I can get.

At least you can get Manhunter on blu-ray. I've been waiting a long, long time for Thief.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

Although, it looks like we're definitely getting Thief

Every time I think I'm satisfied with what I own from Criterion, they toss some more bait on the pond.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't even notice that, I heard a rumor for that about a year-ish ago, and I really was excited for it back then.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January releases (all Dual Format except for the Eclipse)

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963, Stanley Kramer)
Thief (1981, Michael Mann)
Throne of Blood (1957, Akira Kurosawa)
Rififi (1955, Jules Dassin)
La Vie de Boheme (1992, Aki Kaurismäki)
The Long Day Closes (1992, Terrence Davies)
Eclipse 40: Late Ray (The Home and the World, Enemy of the People, and The Stranger) - DVD only

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

holy poo poo, January

Thief - YES
Rififi - YES
Late Ray - YES
The Long Day Closes - YES
La Vie de Boheme - YES
Throne of Blood - probably
IAMMMMW - no thanks

Best. month. ever.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I was surprised Criterion got It's a Mad^4 World, but drat, it's one of the most packed releases they've done. I'm looking forward to the extended cut that Robert Harris put together. I think some of Buster Keaton's scenes were among what was deleted from the general release cut. The extended version on VHS and laserdisc was apparently a hodge podge of preview print outtakes added to the general release cut rather than following the roadshow version.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Getting both Thief and Rififi on BRD in the same month is so goddamn exciting.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Thief looks incredible, I can't wait to get it!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just FYI, the Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale should begin November 5th and run through to December 2nd.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Just in time to get that Zatoichi boxset.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I have a standing $100s is automatically OK for this sale, but that Zatoichi box set is messing me up on this one. It will take me years to get through it, but finding out there was one with Yojimbo made it a must have.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't believe my local library is picking up three copies of the Zatoichi set. They're even renting it out as a single unit. This is ridiculous but I'm thrilled.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Darn you and your nice library. All mine carries is Jane Austin miniseries and Tae-Bo videos. There used to be a great Mom and Pop video store that had every Criterion (and pretty much every other movie for that fact) but alas they could not compete with Netflix.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

I was surprised Criterion got It's a Mad^4 World, but drat, it's one of the most packed releases they've done. I'm looking forward to the extended cut that Robert Harris put together. I think some of Buster Keaton's scenes were among what was deleted from the general release cut. The extended version on VHS and laserdisc was apparently a hodge podge of preview print outtakes added to the general release cut rather than following the roadshow version.

I'm guessing it won't be eligible for the B&N November 50% off sale? :smith:

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Just for clarification, since 25 movies are being released in the Blind Swordsman set, these are receiving or already have received the full extent of the criterion treatment? IE: Best quality sound/picture, cleaned up, etc etc?

It doesn't matter, I will get it anyways but I am just floored about the whole idea of 25 at once.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Just for clarification, since 25 movies are being released in the Blind Swordsman set, these are receiving or already have received the full extent of the criterion treatment? IE: Best quality sound/picture, cleaned up, etc etc?

It doesn't matter, I will get it anyways but I am just floored about the whole idea of 25 at once.

I think they've been working on it for a long, long time. The films have all been on their Hulu page since its inception.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
I suspect that based on the way the DVD market has changed—not to mention, I would imagine, diminishing sales numbers on successive HVE Zatoichi releases—they determined that holding them back and releasing one box set was the best option financially.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Freshman

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

The Freshman

I just watched Safety Last again last night and I'm thrilled! Hopefully they keep bringing more Lloyd at a good clip; I'm happy to see some great silent comedies on the label.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Really excited for more Lloyd. I hope they pick up Girl Shy eventually.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I would expect Criterion to release at least all of the silent features as mainline releases. Some are short enough to be paired into double features like Kino did with Buster Keaton. We'll have to see how The Freshman is handled since they're probably including The Sin of Harold Diddlebock as an extra, then The Kid Brother could have Movie Crazy as a paired film. No idea how they're going to cope with Welcome Danger and Feet First considering they are fairly awful films.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

It's sure quiet in here with the B&N sale starting today.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm just going to pick up City Lights whenever I happen to be near a B&N. :effort:

Also, Sony is going to be Criterion's new distributor:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/sony-pictures/sony-inks-distribution-admin-deal-criterion-31792

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 5, 2013

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

friendo55 posted:

It's sure quiet in here with the B&N sale starting today.

Only some of them are popping up online as 50% off. I'm waiting to see when the rest go down because I really want to get World on a Wire but it's still at list price.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

@Egbert That's not the worst plan in the world. I'll probably end up getting that online along with Tokyo Story.

Yea I've noticed some of them are sale price and some aren't. Even just hitting refresh brings the back to where it should be. I'm counting down the minutes until 5pm hits and I can drive over there. I hope to get Slacker, Earrings of Madame De, Eyes Without a Face, The Big City, Charulata and Autumn Sonata.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Does this mean they have access to Sony Picture Classics? I'd love to see films like Before Midnight and The Triplets of Belleville get releases as part of the collection.

Edit: Also, Synechdoche, New York. They already have Being John Malkovich so that's not too much of a stretch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Does this mean they have access to Sony Picture Classics? I'd love to see films like Before Midnight and The Triplets of Belleville get releases as part of the collection.

Edit: Also, Synechdoche, New York. They already have Being John Malkovich so that's not too much of a stretch.

The Devil's Backbone was licensed from Sony Pictures Classics.

It's not as much a title licensing deal, but rather distribution. Criterion originally distributed through Home Vision until they were bought out by Image, then they continued to distribute through Image even after becoming RLJ Entertainment.

I don't think it will affect any films, but I recall Criterion getting the HanWay Films library via Image. Of course, they could re-negotiate rights sort of like how Naked was licensed for Blu-Ray directly from Film 4 instead of New Line.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Really wish the Barnes and Noble coupons worked on pre-orders, an additional 15% off of Zatoichi would have been awesome. It looks like a lot of people are ordering the set, so I'm too worried it will be sold out if I wait until the release date to order it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Is Throne of Blood just not showing up for anyone? Was really hoping I'd be able to get it with this.