Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/40954-sharknado

I guess this was inevitable: NC reviews Sharknado (With help from Cinema Snob).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/40954-sharknado

Boy was that ever disappointing. Brad and Doug team up should have been something really awful, or something they both love and could riff with affection. Instead they choose a bad movie that was made intentionally bad, and which was ultimately nothing more interesting beyond its title and the odd goofy moment in the climax (such as the one they did touch on, the chainsawing of a flying shark in half). It's better to take the poo poo to a movie that was trying to be good and failed miserable.

At least the couple Myth Busters bits were enjoyable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think Sharknado was only the phenomena it was mainly because the mainstream doesn't really understand when films are intentionally made bad.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Behonkiss posted:

It is kind of pointless to review a movie like this. (Or anything from the Aslyum really unless it was going to be a regular thing.) Although I thought it was pretty funny. The Wicked Witch joke was the best I think.

Edit: It's been awhile since I watched MythBusters. I take it the later episodes were terrible?

S-Alpha posted:

Looks like the Red Letter Media guys have started up a new segment, probably to make up for them being really busy lately: Quick Cuts, apparently for small little quick reviews of films they can't really fit into their normal rotation. For their first episode, they're starting of with Escape From Tomorrow, aka that film that everyone is surprised hasn't led to legal action on Disney's part.

I dunno, I don't really care too much for this segment, mainly because I think RLM are at their best when they have the guys play off each other. Or at least have Rich Evans laughing for ten minutes.

I liked the segment. Since RLM doesn't have a set schedule, this is a great way for them to do reviews of movies that they want to talk about but probably don't have the material for or don't want to do for Half in The Bag. Sometimes I just like hearing a reviewers real opinions without any kind of character or skit tied to it.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 16, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

(Or anything from the Aslyum really unless it was going to be a regular thing.)

Lupa and MikeJ have the Asylum-style stuff handled quite well I think. This just didn't seem like a proper movie for the Nostalgia Critic character (and wasn't a great choice for Halloween either.)

Though, yes, the Wizard of Oz joke was pretty great.

EDIT: /\ Yes, Mythbusters has become a pale, dumbed-down-for-the-lowest-common-demoninator version of itself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

achillesforever6 posted:

I think Sharknado was only the phenomena it was mainly because the mainstream doesn't really understand when films are intentionally made bad.

Yea Sharknado became a 'thing' when like, people who review movies and poo poo went "I DON'T GET IT THIS MOVIE IS BAD BUT PEOPLE LIKE IT WHAAAAAAAAAAA?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get the Sharknado thing. But I don't get why it's still a thing. Ok, it was funny. Intentionally, or not, whatever, it still made me chuckle. But now? No. Your time is done Sharknado. I hope Bill Paxton shoves his little Dorthy 2's in your anus and that magically stops you.

Also, I loved the RLM segment. And while I don't disagree with Jay, I enjoyed the film a lot more then he did.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Thinking about it more, all his FMV Hell LPs are still really good along with the SWAT 4 LPs. I don't know why he didn't stick with that instead of reviewing Reb Brown movies.

Well, whaddya know, he's doing the SWAT 4 expansion!!

edit: Actually watching it now, and it... isn't very good. He's mostly completely silent, occasionally screaming and revisiting the "you're in my way" gag. I think he's lost his touch a little.

Asgerd fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 16, 2013

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

And now, the conclusion to The Werewolf Chronicles, The Wereing.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Asgerd posted:

edit: Actually watching it now, and it... isn't very good. He's mostly completely silent, occasionally screaming and revisiting the "you're in my way" gag. I think he's lost his touch a little.

Here's the story on these new SWAT 4 videos. A few years back, Spoony did SWAT 4 as a purposeful 'Let's Play.' He recorded himself playing each level and giving reactions geared to the format, and he tightly edited the videos, added production and jokes, and so on.

Then a few years later, he decides to livestream himself playing the expansion, The Stechkov Syndicate, on Twitch on a whim. To make these latest videos, all he's doing is pulling the video from Twitch after the fact, which means the video quality is lower. Not having seen this edited version, I suspect he didn't do as much editing, production, etc. either. Basically these new SWAT videos are an afterthought cash-in rather than a proper continuation of the earlier Let's Play.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 16, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Asgerd posted:

I'd attribute that to being a little rusty. If there's more to this expansion pack, I'm sure he'd find the groove again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/mjtv/ss/40969-inspector-gadget-2
God I forgot about this abomination

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I keep meaning to post the newer videos that I've done in here, but never actually do (though I certainly didn't want to swamp the thread with Licensed Games vids while I was busy doing THAT...stupid, ridiculous, insanity...fun though!). I should perhaps rectify that with the videos I've worked on recently.

Anyway, my latest vid is for Dys4ia, Anna Anthropy's short flash game about going on hormone replacement therapy. Said video is...kind of personal actually and not exactly a typical "Kimble Justice" video (I mean jeez it's not even an Amiga game from the early 90's WTF), but it has been very well recieved, which is pretty good 'cause I was a little frightened about posting it.

If you perhaps don't want something that's too personal, there's also a little "Cold War" trio of vids that I made, comprised of Balance of Power, Floor 13 and Papers, Please (I won't be offended if you skip the 2 ancient computer games and click the new one you might have actually heard of, no worries!). 'Twas a fun excuse to prattle on about communist TV/film, assorted books, amusing old footage, and perhaps even talk about games every once in a while (still, it only took me about 2 minutes into the first video to chuck in "Hell March" from Command & Conquer - some rules must be obeyed).

My next big plan is to combine game reviewing with baking, filling what I believe to be a very important niche in the market. So watch this space. Oh, and obviously more Amiga games from the early 90's, because expectations and so forth.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Elmyr posted:

I keep meaning to post the newer videos that I've done in here, but never actually do (though I certainly didn't want to swamp the thread with Licensed Games vids while I was busy doing THAT...stupid, ridiculous, insanity...fun though!). I should perhaps rectify that with the videos I've worked on recently.

Your videos are extraordinarily well-paced. The Cold War trilogy gave a fine synthesis of all three of those games without dragging on needless details.

Anyhow, here's the newest Cheapskate Reviews, featuring one of Orson Welles' lesser works.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Elmyr posted:

If you perhaps don't want something that's too personal, there's also a little "Cold War" trio of vids that I made, comprised of Balance of Power, Floor 13 and Papers, Please (I won't be offended if you skip the 2 ancient computer games and click the new one you might have actually heard of, no worries!). 'Twas a fun excuse to prattle on about communist TV/film, assorted books, amusing old footage, and perhaps even talk about games every once in a while (still, it only took me about 2 minutes into the first video to chuck in "Hell March" from Command & Conquer - some rules must be obeyed).

Interestingly, Papers, Please was the only game of the three I hadn't heard of - probably because I don't game nearly as much now as I did when I was younger. But your review was great! It made me purchase the game, and playing it has been a really interesting experience. It's certainly not the most fun I've had playing a game ever, but it's a unique experience and really evokes the theme well (it very much feels like you're playing the role of a border guard). I'm surprised at how long my play sessions end up being considering how monotonous the game "should" be.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Been awhile since someone posted Cinema Snob midnight release vlog
So here is Escape Plan and Carrie
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/10/18/midnight-screenings-escape-plan-and-carrie.aspx
Like the deadpool shirt Sara is wearing and holy poo poo Sam Neill is in Escape Plan :stare:

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/41020-adventure-time-vlogs-business-time

How odd that Doug chose to set up a Nostalgia Critic episode within one of the Adventure Time vlogs. Even if, as he said, when one gets into Adventure Time, the randomness of it seeps into their work. In any case, should be interesting to see what he and Bennett the Sage have lined up, since their niches usually don't cross over much.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Elmyr posted:

Anyway, my latest vid is for Dys4ia, Anna Anthropy's short flash game about going on hormone replacement therapy. Said video is...kind of personal actually and not exactly a typical "Kimble Justice" video (I mean jeez it's not even an Amiga game from the early 90's WTF), but it has been very well recieved, which is pretty good 'cause I was a little frightened about posting it.

My next big plan is to combine game reviewing with baking, filling what I believe to be a very important niche in the market. So watch this space. Oh, and obviously more Amiga games from the early 90's, because expectations and so forth.

I've just started watching your stuff, it's all really good, but it seems like your 20 worst Genesis games videos have some major sound glitching in them.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
http://neonharbor.com/king-kong-vs-doctor-who/
Just a heads up, here's the first of two Deja Views I guest hosted for the awesome Ed Glaser. This time I talk about King Kong vs. Doctor Who!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kyle has a goat to pick with that gosh darned "kunsthuis" word!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've just started watching your stuff, it's all really good, but it seems like your 20 worst Genesis games videos have some major sound glitching in them.

Yeah, the sound glitches badly on them for me too. I don't know why - it's only started in the past couple of months, and before that they were a-ok. So it appears to be a Youtube issue - however it most likely means that I'll have to redo the vids, which is freaking annoying - the 20 Worst Genesis games vids get more views than any of the others (people like poo poo, who knew?). I'm confident at least that I could make a much better 20 Worst vid now, so it'll probably work out fine in the long run.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

What are you talking about? That's the link to his old show trailer, and no mention of such a thing was made.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cubs2084 posted:

What are you talking about? That's the link to his old show trailer, and no mention of such a thing was made.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/why-i-hate-the-word-arthouse-6671094 try this link.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

cubs2084 posted:

Blip Tv was acting up and rather than give me the actual link to the drat new video, it immediately gave me the link to the "next" video, which was his first.

This is the actual link, as Senerio pointed out. Whoops!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

cubs2084 posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/41020-adventure-time-vlogs-business-time

How odd that Doug chose to set up a Nostalgia Critic episode within one of the Adventure Time vlogs. Even if, as he said, when one gets into Adventure Time, the randomness of it seeps into their work. In any case, should be interesting to see what he and Bennett the Sage have lined up, since their niches usually don't cross over much.

The episode is here. Haven't watched it yet, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maremidon posted:

The episode is here. Haven't watched it yet, though.

I remember watching that movie and loving it as a kid (who probably shouldn't have been watching it) but mostly because it was pretty dumb.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Huh. I remember my mother taking issue with the term "arthouse" because it implied that good films somehow had to be separated from other films, and most people wouldn't watch them. Netflix tends to use the term "independent", which is probably more accurate, in that it gives you those smaller pictures that would probably usually be classed as art house, but independent doesn't really pretend to be a genre, more a sort of..classification - and those movies tend to also show up in specific genres, like the comedy or drama section, or, to be Netflix specific - "heartwarming British films featuring a strong female lead" or whatever else. The same goes for "gay and lesbian" - it's not a genre, it's more of a classification (although Netflix treats it differently to, say, the big box music-and-movies stores. On Netflix - and wikipedia for that matter - it's a simple descriptor, and all films with sufficient LGBT content are classed as "gay and lesbian", whereas in somewhere like JB Hi-Fi, all the good LGBT films that are well-known enough or critically well-regarded enough just end up in the standard genre-free alphabetical film section, or the drama section, and the queer section is reserved for the really inaccessible, the schlocky or the bad queer stuff. Brokeback Mountain is going to be in the main section. The Queer section is reserved for Dante's Cove, Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds and all those terrible David Decotou 1313 films.)

I never thought of Citizen Kane as an arthouse movie, because it's so well...known, at least in name, and it's considered to be the greatest film of all time, nonstop (although recently that opinion's been "revised", and Vertigo is now the greatest film - although I have no idea how you can actually pick a *greatest film*.) I tend to think of such films as notable, maybe "artistically notable in the field of cinema", but really..in the end, it's clutching at straws and trying to make sense of genre definitions.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

God old DVD Hell with crazies telling us how we are all going to hell for trick or treating
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/10/20/dvd-r-hell-pagan-invasion-halloween-trick-or-treat-part-1.aspx

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think I had the totally wrong idea of what people meant by "arthouse." I always took it as a term of mild derision, essentially the indie equivalent of "Oscar Bait." A non-mainstream film that wallows in its own pretentiousness and deepness, and tries to be sophisticated but ultimately fails and is a mess of inconsistent symbolism for the sake of itself rather than serving a message. Something that hits all the things people see as deep or meaningful like it's a checklist rather than because the makers have something to say. The kind of movie where you just know the director wakes up every day hoping somebody will ask them what it means.

I never would have considered 2001 or Citizen Kane or any of that "arthouse" films. But after looking it up, I have no idea how I got that impression.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Apparently Phil Buni got kicked off of Chez Apocalypse.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The creepy puppet guy right? I want to say 'good riddance' but I can't actually remember what he did/does.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

AriadneThread posted:

The creepy puppet guy right? I want to say 'good riddance' but I can't actually remember what he did/does.

The only thing he was really notable for was the effort he put into his gimmick. The actual content he produced was terribly unremarkable.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

AriadneThread posted:

It was a bunch of catch-all nerd stuff reviews with the premise of a stoner bunny that looks like Max from Sam & Max. I don't remember any of his stuff being particularly terrible or creepy, though. A li'l preachy at the worst, but I haven't seen most of his stuff either.

EDIT: ^^^ What that guy said.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Was he the one with that really weird Michael Jackson video?

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Was he the one with that really weird Michael Jackson video?

Yeah, and a puppet called "creepy uncle monkey" whose one joke was molestation. And shows called "goregasm" and "boardkake". He also did the weird videos where he'd end up talking about another thing entirely.

His stuff's not the worst I've seen (hello, fanservice fiesta), but he's not a good fit for Chez.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

And the sycophant brigade is out in force.

:wtc: I hope Chez Apocalypse has good locks. :stare:

e:

prahanormal posted:

Is chez that notorious or are these just idiots who think getting kicked off of anything is a good thing?

I think it has more to do with "I like person A! Person B does not like Person A! Person B IS NOW MY MORTAL ENEMY!"

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 22, 2013

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Yeah, I found him because of Chez but he's honestly not a good fit for them. I like his stuff occasionally, but I can't really recommend.

Although looking at the replies to his tweet apparently there are people cheering him for getting kicked off Chez. :psyduck: Is chez that notorious or are these just idiots who think getting kicked off of anything is a good thing?

Also I remember someone in this thread saying he was really creepy in real life. I can't find the post right now though.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I think it was this little gem that got him booted.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The only quality things I remember about him were his theme song and that epic Muppets joke he provided the setup for in Kyle's Melancholia mega-review--neither of which were the result of any effort on his part, now that I think about it.

Most of his reviews were unfocused kind of degenerated into gobbledygook not long after he moved off of his thesis point to examine whatever he was looking at, like his Invader Zim review that just goes right off the rails from minute one.

Anyway, I watched the Sage/NC Guyver review last night, and it was pretty funny, but god drat did that end on a dark note. I know it was scripted and all, but I felt kinda lovely for Sage after it ended.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

dijon du jour posted:

And the sycophant brigade is out in force.

:wtc: I hope Chez Apocalypse has good locks. :stare:

e:

I think it has more to do with "I like person A! Person B does not like Person A! Person B IS NOW MY MORTAL ENEMY!"

Isn't that the guy's girlfriend? Jesus...

• Locked thread