Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

nitrogen posted:

Our crack IT dept here just fell for the "Microsoft failed update" phish.

All access to exchange and the domain has been locked while they work to "fix" whatever problems this caused.

:stare: Please tell me it was something more elaborate and targeted than the usual "Hi, this is Chad calling from a scummy call centre in DelhiMicrosoft because we have detected a virus on your computer! Please install this backdoor for us so we can help you! Also please buy this software" scam I get users in with all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MJP posted:

An interview came in...

... without having to do a phone screen or technical interview, straight to the CEO of an MSP for a senior field engineer. Project work, supervising two PFYs or desktop equivalents. No troubleshooting, one client a day.

I'm waiting for the catch.

Your office also has a toilet in it.

In other :yotj: news, I have a phone interview scheduled for tomorrow. Helpdesk in a software company, not ideal but I'll be asking how quickly I can get moved up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MJP posted:

An interview came in...

... without having to do a phone screen or technical interview, straight to the CEO of an MSP for a senior field engineer. Project work, supervising two PFYs or desktop equivalents. No troubleshooting, one client a day.

I'm waiting for the catch.

It's for a company that manufactures baby mincing machines.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

So the issue about witheld pay and changed account numbers turned out to be a disgruntled employee in HR who changed the payable account number of about 60-70 employees to his own and did a runner.

No monies were disbursed to theese accounts and he's agreed to turn himself in when he returns from "abroad" at some point.

Stupid fucker. Tried to do a runner with 3,4 MNOK (~500k $) when he probably had access to all the 75.000 employees. If you try something like that at least go all in, we disburse around 1,5 billion NOK per month in wages...

Learn SQL people, it makes such tasks a lot easier. :v:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dead Cow posted:

But yes, users can uninstall it off their phones themselves, good thing we dont use it for app blocking like our sister company.
Same is true of EVERY MDM solution for iOS, infuriatingly. On Android you can get some reasonable security if your provider supports the vendor's extensions (default Android security is crap) AND your phone co have released the right firmware (AT&T are refusing to release Knox support for their Samsung devices which has stopped a lot of vendors - including us - from releasing full support yet)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in:

database admin posted:

Hey blackswordca. The developer of our internal site setup a test environment for me. I am trying to get into it and the am getting an error: 401: Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. I spoke to the developer and he said its because the test site isn't white listed on our internet explorer. I need you to whitelist the site for me ASAP as I cannot run my test programs without it.

I am surprised I didn't get a "please do the needful" or "its affecting production!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Caconym posted:

So the issue about witheld pay and changed account numbers turned out to be a disgruntled employee in HR who changed the payable account number of about 60-70 employees to his own and did a runner.

No monies were disbursed to theese accounts and he's agreed to turn himself in when he returns from "abroad" at some point.

Stupid fucker. Tried to do a runner with 3,4 MNOK (~500k $) when he probably had access to all the 75.000 employees. If you try something like that at least go all in, we disburse around 1,5 billion NOK per month in wages...

Learn SQL people, it makes such tasks a lot easier. :v:

The question is will he be going to White Collar Resort Prison or Federal Pound Me In The rear end Prison?

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

Caged posted:

The question is will he be going to White Collar Resort Prison or Federal Pound Me In The rear end Prison?

I don't think Norway has that type of prison.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Caged posted:

In Norway we only have the first kind so the question is moot.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
A phonebill came in, someone down in the factory used the company hardline to pay for a car ad.

He's selling his car for 27,000 USD so it's understandable that he didn't want to pay $125 for the ad himself.

His defence?
The company phone, looked so much like his iphone 4-4s-5 that he used the wrong one by mistake.

Maybe this guy shouldn't drive forklifts...

Also today one of our three hyper-v blades lost contact with the SAN for no reason, causing HA to kick in and gently caress with everything. Bluescreens left and right, some servers remaining on the broken blade and some migrated to the others. Some started up again and some didn't.
I couldn't even logon to the printserver and when i did a graceful shutdown through hyper-v manager it bsod:ed.
Another server that handles all the ERP printing told me that the account all services it runs through had changed password (it hadn't). This happened last month too but my boss fixed it then and never left any notes on HOW.

I love computers. I especially love computers set up by some hotshot consultant three years ago with hardly any documentation, and computers that the SOP to fix them is "reboot it until it works" or "kill that startup-service that uses 100% cpu several times until it stops respawning"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

It's for a company that manufactures baby mincing machines.

Speaking as someone who once worked for Tiffany and had a 20% employee discount, sign me the hell up - anything's better than seeing the wholesale prices on diamonds out of a Yellowknife mine while troubleshooting JD Edwards access.

They corrected themselves when I replied saying "not that I'm complaining, but don't you want me to validate my skills before I come in to talk to the CEO?"

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Entropic posted:

:stare: Please tell me it was something more elaborate and targeted than the usual "Hi, this is Chad calling from a scummy call centre in DelhiMicrosoft because we have detected a virus on your computer! Please install this backdoor for us so we can help you! Also please buy this software" scam I get users in with all the time.

only slightly.

It was basically this:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/14/microsoft-failed-update-phish-might-well-sound-believable-watch-out/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is it just me or is that a late 90s-era Microsoft logo?

edit: oh, I guess it didn't change until last year. 1994-2012.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Working from home can have its disadvantages. I worked all day yesterday. It was slower than usual but not outside the norm.

Turns out yesterday was a paid holiday, and I was the only member of my team to work. drat it.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
So got a Dell computer that needs some warranty work this morning. Called them up:
"Thank you for calling Dell! The dept. you have reached is closed. Please try us again on the next business day." :what:

It's the middle of the day on a loving Tuesday... makes me wonder wtf is going on. Something to do with the East Asian typhoons?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Web chat with Dell, every time. It means you can do other stuff while pretending to go through the troubleshooting steps.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Caged posted:

Web chat with Dell, every time. It means you can do other stuff while pretending to go through the troubleshooting steps.

This a million times, I will never ever call their support line, but their web chat? That poo poo rocks, every time I'm on a web chat session it takes MAYBE 5 minutes of my actual time. I can get a lot of work done between responses etc and they don't question if I've actually already done troubleshooting (which I have) and I just throw everything at them that I've done and that usually gets me a tech on-site within the next day or two.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anybody who calls Dell instead of chat is literally doing it wrong.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Similar for Toshiba. I had a laptop with a failing hard drive, rang the service number and got the run around about running a virus scan and return PC to factory state and told to ring back once it was done. Rang back a bit later and spoke to someone else and they basically said avoid calling if possible and instead fill out a form on the Toshiba Mobile support website.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Whenever I use Dell chat, I open with several paragraphs of detailed technical analysis about the issue, what I did to troubleshoot it, and what I need them to do to fix the issue (which is usually just "send us a replacement part via courier"). Usually works fine, but the last couple times, this has resulted in about ten minutes of baffled silence followed by "Sorry sir you will have to please call our engineering department at XXX-XXX-XXXX for assistance with this matter thank you sir and have a nice day sir" :argh:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

dennyk posted:

Whenever I use Dell chat, I open with several paragraphs of detailed technical analysis about the issue, what I did to troubleshoot it, and what I need them to do to fix the issue (which is usually just "send us a replacement part via courier"). Usually works fine, but the last couple times, this has resulted in about ten minutes of baffled silence followed by "Sorry sir you will have to please call our engineering department at XXX-XXX-XXXX for assistance with this matter thank you sir and have a nice day sir" :argh:
Just open up a new chat!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

Ehh I don't care for the chat to be honest, I find it easier to call them and talk to the tech. We pay for ProSupport/GoldSupport or whatever it is this week, so I'm always dealing with someone in the US that can pass a entry level Microsoft or CompTIA exam which weeds out the worst of the support guys. There's rarely a wait. The secret is to lead the tech to his own conclusion, don't call up saying 'yeah well I got another bad hard drive send me another one', that creates tension and will make the tech walk you through the steps just to piss you off. Those guys get talked down to by 'IT Professionals' all day.

I call up and say "well you know the computer isn't booting into the OS so I went to the diagnostics and it gave me error 2000-0142 whatever that means. What do you think?" They look up that error for a failed hard drive and I'm off the phone 2 minutes later.

dennyk posted:

You're wasting your time, these guys have workflows they have to follow, throwing that much info just confuses them.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 15, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
gently caress that poo poo, "I have a computer with a dead X, I've swapped in a known good component from an identical model and it fixed the problem, please send a part and/or technician"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A Reply All storm came in.

Senior VP sends out a message that we won't be auto archiving at the server anymore after X date. Something that's been coming for months.

One person sends as close to a legit reply all as possible with an important clarification question.

Queue hundreds of "don't reply all!" and "remove me from this list!" messages, all sent reply all, of course.

Multinational corporation with tens of thousands of employees.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MJP posted:

Speaking as someone who once worked for Tiffany...

Was this your boss?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

Why is the group that encompasses all employees configured to accept email from anyone but specific people authorized to address the entire company?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nexxai posted:

Why is the group that encompasses all employees configured to accept email from anyone but specific people authorized to address the entire company?

Yeah seriously, it takes like 5 loving minutes to restrict email lists.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A user reported that e-mails to outside users this morning were never received. This user then tested with delivery receipts, and they didn't even get delivery receipts. If you assumed this might be because e-mails are getting held up by our Barracuda appliance or the Exchange server, you'd be wrong! Here's what our Exchange admin had to say to the user:

quote:

Read and delivery receipts are very unreliable when sending outbound email and you shouldn't count on them for your work process. I tested my Frontier and Gmail accounts requesting read and delivery receipt requests with mixed results.
No read receipts came back. The delivery receipt from Gmail took over 20 minutes, the delivery receipt from Frontier came back immediately. Each domain is deferent depending on their email settings with some domains not allowing read receipts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

A user reported that e-mails to outside users this morning were never received. This user then tested with delivery receipts, and they didn't even get delivery receipts. If you assumed this might be because e-mails are getting held up by our Barracuda appliance or the Exchange server, you'd be wrong! Here's what our Exchange admin had to say to the user:

He's so close and yet he still whiffs! Astounding.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
:smuggo:: We really appreciate the initiative you have been showing as of late. We want to reward your efforts.

:haw:: Great!

:smuggo:: We're going to give you that 30% raise you deserve.

:haw:: :dance:

:smuggo:: I also want to present you with a once in a lifetime opportunity. Our previous technical lead on our nationwide MPLS network wants to transition into technical management and we think this is a great opportunity for you to cut your teeth on some serious poo poo...as the new technical lead. We go live in two months. Can you fly to L.A. next week to rack the ASRs?

:haw:: :suicide:

[I'm beyond hosed.]

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

Senior VP sends out a message that we won't be auto archiving at the server anymore after X date. Something that's been coming for months.

One person sends as close to a legit reply all as possible with an important clarification question.

Queue hundreds of "don't reply all!" and "remove me from this list!" messages, all sent reply all, of course.

Multinational corporation with tens of thousands of employees.

I had to go check my generic inbox that all this kind of thing goes to to make sure we don't work at the same place. The "Don't reply all", and "remove me from this list" storms are almost a weekly thing where I work. My favorite is when it happens on a required mailer and the only way to be removed is to not work here.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Is it wrong that I always want to reply to all back with "Arrrr maties, here be a shot across your exchange server bow!" and attach a 10mb email etiquette guide?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Walter_Sobchak posted:

I deal with smart cards at my workplace, and this happens ALL THE TIME with our internal card readers. people jam them right up on in there with no regard for petty things like "is it actually in the slot?"

I did the same thing my first day on the job. Slipped my smart card right above the dvd drive into the case.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

FISHMANPET posted:

You have to call for some things. :(

For any kind of warranty repair, you have to give the service tag number - well as you may know, not all dell products have service tags, including 24" ultrasharp monitors. If you get on live chat they just give you the number to call to receive actual assistance.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Potato Alley posted:

I mean, this sounds like it wasn't a virtual server. But that can't be what you're saying. Can it? A non high-performance machine with no real need to be physical would of course be created as a VM in this day and age. Right? Right??
You kidding, a few weeks ago I told my boss I was going to migrate WSUS to another server and he said if I wanted to pick up a used G5 or something I could.

Uh, no, I think I'll just make a VM for that service which uses no more than 50mb memory and a gig or two of hard drive space.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

Was this your boss?

I have no clue what that is, but my boss wanted me to move from Mon-Fri to working Saturdays with a comp day during the week, so long as it wasn't Monday or Friday. So yes, that thing in the picture was my boss.

Edit: A ticket went out...

Last Thursday I had to stay late to participate in testing sites on our new Websense Triton appliance. No more Websense application, it's all its own box now. Part of it involved some new protocol and my desktop was moved to a new vlan to test.

Testing completes, I go home Thursday, I was sick on Friday, I come back on Monday and as we found during testing, some internal Sharepoint sites are jacked up. Except mine are still jacked up.

Still on the test vlan, I emailed the project people asking them to move me back to the production desktop vlan. No response. Come in today, I still can't get to internal Sharepoint sites.

quote:

Is there any progress on moving me off of the .51 vlan? I hate to be a bother but I use internal Sharepoint sites extremely often during the day and it’s really impacting my work switching between RDP windows and my desktop to get to them. I can’t even get to %internal IT site%.

I guess it was my turn to be THIS IS IMPACTING PRODUCTION!!1!!!1!!! but if nothing else I sure as hell hope this gets me out of the new Websense appliance. I can see the forums but any graphics are no-go, and it's tough hunting for the 1px-sized Edit/Reply buttons in threads.

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 16, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MJP posted:

I have no clue what that is, but my boss wanted me to move from Mon-Fri to working Saturdays with a comp day during the week, so long as it wasn't Monday or Friday. So yes, that thing in the picture was my boss.

Last Thursday I had to stay late to participate in testing sites on our new Websense Triton appliance. No more Websense application, it's all its own box now. Part of it involved some new protocol and my desktop was moved to a new vlan to test.

Testing completes, I go home Thursday, I was sick on Friday, I come back on Monday and as we found during testing, some internal Sharepoint sites are jacked up. Except mine are still jacked up.

Still on the test vlan, I emailed the project people asking them to move me back to the production desktop vlan. No response. Come in today, I still can't get to internal Sharepoint sites.

I guess it was my turn to be THIS IS IMPACTING PRODUCTION!!1!!!1!!! but if nothing else I sure as hell hope this gets me out of the new Websense appliance. I can see the forums but any graphics are no-go, and it's tough hunting for the 1px-sized Edit/Reply buttons in threads.

"Tasteless"
I was moved to it recently. The active filter violates our communication laws....

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

"Tasteless"
I was moved to it recently. The active filter violates our communication laws....

My boss once sent me a Websense graph showing the top 10 bandwidth sites, asking me to find out who the frequent visitors to #1 and #2 were.

It was for ESPN tennis streaming and Fox News streaming respectively. There was only one or two users on each.

Websense sucks but using about 2gb of bandwidth to stream over 24 hours... bleh.

The primary offender of the Adult/Sex or equivalent category was one of our DBAs going to Adult Friend Finder style sites

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MJP posted:

My boss once sent me a Websense graph showing the top 10 bandwidth sites, asking me to find out who the frequent visitors to #1 and #2 were.

It was for ESPN tennis streaming and Fox News streaming respectively. There was only one or two users on each.

Websense sucks but using about 2gb of bandwidth to stream over 24 hours... bleh.

The primary offender of the Adult/Sex or equivalent category was one of our DBAs going to Adult Friend Finder style sites

I mostly take offense to the fact that they blocked the gaming category, a lot of sites only remotely related to gaming get locked out. (Like tech news...)
And as I said, the fact that they scan page content is highly illegal in my country, but when I raised it on the anonymous complaint system, the response from the office IT boss was just "We evaluate all systems and I should have been a politician because I am not even responding to the complaint and rather just farting out random phrases. If requested we can provide a effectiveness evaluation :D!" You'd be surprised how little liberty I took with that.
Also, circumvent by using https, oldest trick in the book. (If they were to find this out they'd probably disable https. We don't even have FTP...)
I wish our department would have our own proxy or something.

Edit:
Also youtube is unblocked because surgical videos+doctors=required. Also for some reason facebook is as well (probably so the press officer can take care of the page I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

MJP posted:

Seems really lovely to not allow you two days off in a row. That would be a huge problem for me. I worked out with my group to have Sunday Monday off and work a truncated Saturday shift.

• Locked thread