Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

kells posted:

Aww Lily :3:

So dignified!!

Buns came back from buncation today (I was at a conference for 6 days). The bunny sitter told me one hopped the short fence (which I was expecting, ha!) and hopped over to her and proceeded to lick her ankles while she was vacuuming. Good socialized buns!

Quick question to anyone with big bunnies or big bunny experience: when did yours get fixed? I want to spay ours as early once they start getting hormonal as is safe without seriously stunting their growth or anything like that.

And to pay the picture toll, here they are with their first carrier (they have a bigger one now):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Good god I want a pair of Flemish Giants.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I think the recommendation is at least 4 months for female rabbits, mine were spayed after 6 months.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

boberteatskitten posted:

Quick question to anyone with big bunnies or big bunny experience: when did yours get fixed? I want to spay ours as early once they start getting hormonal as is safe without seriously stunting their growth or anything like that.

When Ella changed from an adorable inquisitive sweetheart to a roaring monster that always smelled vaguely of chicken soup and doritos and attacked the pet-sitter. She's gone back to be adorable, but still a little bit of a monster. So I guess that's your sign that it's time to tie things up. However, Ella is a little bun at only 4 pounds.

Oh, and Ella's had a poopy butt today and it's driving me nuts. She's been moved inside to avoid a draft and I'm feeding her every 4 hours a pinch of romaine to make sure her guts keep moving. She's still inquisitive and interested in food, she's much better then she was last week. I put her Revolution on two days ago once her wound was healed and antibiotics finished, could that have some effect? Calling the vet in the morning for guidance.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Well, vet is out for the weekend, so I spoke to the assistant who was with us on the third. There are other vets at the clinic, but I really only trust Dr. Valasco. One of the other vets suggested it was a belated reaction to the Bayatril. Ella's eating every 4 hours, a nibble of romaine lettuce. She's quite active, but poopy. We just gave her another butt-bath, and she's now inside for the night, hanging out with us and watching tv and staying warm.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Isn't it better to stick to dry food when they're being poopy? Pretty sure eating greens could make their poops nastier.

edit: Been noticing that Asshat now does a loud teeth click whenever she sees me. She's a hate-filled creature with some serious mental issues but I do think she likes me.

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 12, 2013

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

DS at Night posted:

Isn't it better to stick to dry food when they're being poopy? Pretty sure eating greens could make their poops nastier.

edit: Been noticing that Asshat now does a loud teeth click whenever she sees me. She's a hate-filled creature with some serious mental issues but I do think she likes me.

She doesn't eat much dry food. I've tried and tried to get her to eat more hay, short of starving the poor bunling (not really), and she's got constant access to unlimited orchard hay. She just sits in it or picks at it, not really eating much of it. RIght now I just really want to keep her eating, but small amounts.

Good luck with your own bunny. Speaking of teeth, how are hers? Ella's probably going to get hers rasped on Monday.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well with her it's all about mental issues not dental issues. I don't think the vet's ever had to file/snip hers or Billy's, and I get them checked regularly. I guess my furniture and legs are enough for them to wear their teeth down on.

About Ella: maybe there's greens that are more "watery" than others and could be avoided then? Like maybe just sticking to herbs and such.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

DS at Night posted:

Well with her it's all about mental issues not dental issues. I don't think the vet's ever had to file/snip hers or Billy's, and I get them checked regularly. I guess my furniture and legs are enough for them to wear their teeth down on.

About Ella: maybe there's greens that are more "watery" than others and could be avoided then? Like maybe just sticking to herbs and such.

I asked only because you brought up the teeth gnashing.

Ella's still making a bit of a mess of herself, but it's pretty solid cecals. It's like she's being lovely out of spite. She had a small red pepper core and a handful of mixed mint and basil to eat today. I'll continue with tiny snacks of romaine (a whole leaf over the course of the day) to encourage gut mobility. She is still pooping, she's just also sitting in it.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I find myself in the position of bonding Bunny Hass to a 4 month old kitten. This is the second time I've had to bond Bunny Hass to a cat but last time the cat was a year older then Hass.

So far, the kitten is no longer hissing at Hass, but Hass will chase after the Kitten. I did get 10 minutes of bliss when the two stayed put within a foot of each other.

Is there anything I can to do to help the bonding process along?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

voodoonoid posted:

I find myself in the position of bonding Bunny Hass to a 4 month old kitten. This is the second time I've had to bond Bunny Hass to a cat but last time the cat was a year older then Hass.

Any particular reason for doing this? It kinda sounds like the rabbit is annoyed. I mean, my cat and rabbit are friends, but certainly not bonded. They just like to annoy each other a few minutes at a time.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Any particular reason for doing this? It kinda sounds like the rabbit is annoyed. I mean, my cat and rabbit are friends, but certainly not bonded. They just like to annoy each other a few minutes at a time.

Considering we just moved as well as have a new animal around, I know Hass is annoyed because she has gone back to a lot of bad habits that I actually trained her out of. I want to make sure that Hass and the kitten get along because we like to give Hass full run of our place as long as either my boyfriend or myself are home.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If the kitten learns not to mess with Hass from an early age, it should be okay. How well did he get along with your other cat, and what was their history? The kitten does not yet have manners, so the avacado's probably defending his turf.

Oh boy Ella. My mom was hanging out with the bunny early this morning, and now swears she heard faint wheezing. Mom's a nurse practitioner, and does say she only heard it because she's so used to listening for respiratory issues. Could this go along with poopy butt? She's still bright and inquisitive, always hungry as well. Her butt is considerably less poopy, and she did not face the dreaded sink yesterday. Because of that, she also spent the night outside in her cozy box. We live in Florida, so the overnight low was just 59 degrees. Ella's cage outside has an insulated bottom for winter, and a windproof insulated hutch inside that as well that she likes to take cover in.

Whatever, vet tomorrow. Ella's now trying to get into my wastepaper basket.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So we're in the process of trying to book a vet appointment for Gracie tonight, but in the meantime and in the event nothing's available, any advice would be appreciated.

Over the course of this weekend Gracie's behaviour has changed pretty much 100%. She's always been a somewhat reticent bun but over the four years I've owned her I've turned her from an unfriendly little demon into a lovely if occasionally cranky bun that will even show some affection from time to time.

However, since saturday she's been behaving very oddly. Her usual patterns have changed completely; rather than sit on the couch with us watching TV she now holes up underneath the couch and won't come out for hours. When she's in her cage she refuses to go up to the upper levels, instead sitting motionless in the bottom, sometimes facing the back of her cage. When she's like this she won't even really move when picked up or prodded, which is really worrying as typically her cage is her area and she doesn't like hands in there.

Usually when she hears the crinkle of her bag of dried apricots she comes running - if she's in her cage she goes right up to the entrance and places her paws up on the rim of the exit in a begging posture. Now, you can coax her into taking a piece, but she doesn't move muchfrom the back of her cage and scurrys back as soon as she's got the treat.

She's still eating hay and drinking water, but it doesn't seem like she's eating or drinking much.

Her stomach seems to be its normal somewhat chubby self, it doesn't seem disdended or anything, and all other visible signs seem to check out alright.

They were doing fire alarm testing in my building on friday while I was at work, and it was when I got home that I first noticed she was behaving oddly, so I worry that perhaps she was frightened by the noise and this is psychological? She's been there for previous tests, so I wouldn't think this would have scared her that much but the change is so sudden I'm considering every possibility, and since I wasn't there for the test I don't know exactly how loud or how long, and if it was different from the previous ones.

Please help :(

edit: she's seven and a half and unspayed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, hiding and not reacting are usually signs something is wrong. You're right to get a vet appointment as soon as you can.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Those are signs of pain or discomfort. Billy does the same thing when he's having a flareup of his GI problems. They're not being antisocial they just don't want anybody to know they're hurting, prey animal instinct and all that. It's good that she still eats some but a trip to the vet is absolutely necessary. It's not an overreaction.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

DS at Night posted:

Those are signs of pain or discomfort. Billy does the same thing when he's having a flareup of his GI problems. They're not being antisocial they just don't want anybody to know they're hurting, prey animal instinct and all that. It's good that she still eats some but a trip to the vet is absolutely necessary. It's not an overreaction.

I agree with this. When Ender starts acting this way I usually start dosing him with the meds the vet gave me. If he keeps eating, great otherwise it's time to embrace the fun world of force feeding.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Just asking cause you didn't specifically say (or I am blind) but is she pooping normally?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Prawned posted:

Just asking cause you didn't specifically say (or I am blind) but is she pooping normally?

Yesterday her poops were very small and misshapen. Today however while still a bit smaller and less consistent than normal they're much improved.

And so is my rabbit, happily enough.

We took her to the vet (High Park Animal Clinic in Toronto) and he diagnosed her with some moderate GI issues. She got two different medications to stimulate appetite and to get her innards working again. She also got some painkillers, which resulted in a pretty much immediate improvement. She's still much more reticent than usual, but she's at least moving around rather than sitting in a corner and sulking for hours at a time.

The doctor gave us enough medicine to last 7 days, but considering the speed with which it seems to have taken effect, if this improvement continues are we safe to save 3 days or so of the medicine for use if these symptoms ever appear again?

It was Gracie's first trip to the vet, so it was also just a good experience as it gave me some peace of mind on other issues we don't have visibility to even as conscientious bun owners. We learned her teeth have slight spurring but are in no position to cause her pain any time soon. We also learned that she has a mass, likely a tumour on her reproductive organs. She's nearly 8 and unspayed, when we got her at the age of 4 we were under the impression that was too late to spay her so we were resigned to the fact that she would probably develop cancer sooner than later. So it's really great news that not only can we still spay her, the cancer (against odds) does not seem to be so far along that it won't be able to be excised easily along with the ovaries.

As an added bonus hopefully she'll be a bit more of a cuddlebun rather than her current state of trying her best to never let on that she actually has some affection for her humans.

Thanks all for your advice and concern. Here's a picture of Gracie being beautiful.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Who did you see at High Park Animal Hospital? They're awesome but they are super expensive and LOVE to tell you that you need this this this this when in reality you probably don't. I found that there were times that they shamed me for not doing treatments that weren't necessary.

They are a good vet but don't be shy to hold your ground with them w/r/t treatments that you don't think are necessary.

That said, she is really beautiful. Really really beautiful. And I'm glad that they're going to spay her for you and deal with all that :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'd like to say - not specifically to The Walrus but just in case anybody is reading this who was wondering: ALWAYS get your female spayed. Never think they might be better off unspayed. Get them spayed in all cases and at (almost) any age: only think twice about spaying if the operation would kill them outright. Because the odds of cancer are 80% and that's a figure not even most vets seem to be aware of. And those are not favorable odds for anyone or anything.

On a brighter note, somebody loves her blankie

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Alright, time to get Harriet into that vet then.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Rollie made it clear that he wanted play Monopoly with us

(don't worry, we kept him away from the small pieces)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

swizz posted:

I love that his feet are on go, because you will NOT be collecting $200. :colbert:

I try to play with Pepper after work, but she's not interested. Instead, she'd prefer I come back and play with her around midnight, she's much more interested in me then. I wish she'd let me play with her at a better time.

I know, It Is A Rabbit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

swizz posted:

Rabbits :colbert:

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Bean posted:

I love that his feet are on go, because you will NOT be collecting $200. :colbert:

I try to play with Pepper after work, but she's not interested. Instead, she'd prefer I come back and play with her around midnight, she's much more interested in me then. I wish she'd let me play with her at a better time.

I know, It Is A Rabbit.

I've adjusted my schedule quite a bit so that I get some good quality time in with my bun. I often times get up around 4 am to play with her. I'd rather not, but this morning I was sitting on the ground next to her, and she came up and licked me for the first time, making it worth it.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

monsieur fatso posted:

I've adjusted my schedule quite a bit so that I get some good quality time in with my bun. I often times get up around 4 am to play with her. I'd rather not, but this morning I was sitting on the ground next to her, and she came up and licked me for the first time, making it worth it.

That really is the best thing. Snoopy often licks my girlfriend, and occasionally I get one or two consolation licks. Peanut recently started licking our eyebrows if we stick our faces into their cage, which is unbelievably cute and makes all the effort worthwhile.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
So one of the rescues my housemate volunteers with got a tip off about a neglected bun who had been locked in a bathroom to starve to death so they ran down to pick him up and I wanted to share him with the thread because he's awesome. His name is Simba.

Here is what he looked like when he was rescued:

He had some dental done on his teeth as they were growing into the side of his mouth and cutting him and he's been gaining weight and such but he is getting there very slowly and he's kinda awesomely handsome and loves cuddles.

But really I just wanted an excuse to post this super cute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re-ZQRpTx5c

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

What a sweet little man!! What is wrong with people that they see it as being somehow OK to just lock an animal in a bathroom to starve to death :(

I'm so glad that he's doing well and that despite what he's been through he still loves cuddles. It seriously breaks but then mends my heart to know that this is possible.

I hope that he continues to do well. I got really emotional partially because he reminds me of Paterson so.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Oh that poor darling I just want to take care of him :(

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I've rearranged my apartment, and my bun has been going crazy with exploring. Sometimes she'll get really excited and just run around the whole apartment super fast. It's the cutest.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

monsieur fatso posted:

I've rearranged my apartment, and my bun has been going crazy with exploring. Sometimes she'll get really excited and just run around the whole apartment super fast. It's the cutest.

They do that. It's adorable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
God, locked in a bathroom to starve to death? What the hell is wrong with people.

I'm glad he was rescued and is doing better. Simba is adorably goofy looking.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
We got Chunk through a craigslist ad about 6 years ago and when we came to get him we found that he was living in the shower stall of a teeny tiny apartment. The girl that we got him from had "rescued" him from the feral rabbit population on our university campus, and he lived in her shower, with no bed or litter box, in constant fear of her cat.

Thank you, by the way, for the advice about his passing. Euler seems to be doing alright, and she has been a lot more affectionate lately, so we have been giving her lots of attempted-cuddles. Will post pics of her with her new three-floor "cottontail condo" soon.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
I just kept a 13 year old rabbit alive through a bout of pneumonia where she sounded like she was gurgling almost constantly, her breathing was so wet. She repaid me today by mauling my hand for a craisin.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rodent Mortician posted:

I just kept a 13 year old rabbit alive through a bout of pneumonia where she sounded like she was gurgling almost constantly, her breathing was so wet. She repaid me today by mauling my hand for a craisin.

It's good to know that even the most elderly of bunnies will still go into attack mode for a treat.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

monsieur fatso posted:

Yeah, my newest rabbit Belle really loving loves to sprint around my bedroom. Which normally isnt bad, but when shes playing Bunnycar500 at 3am, it can be kind of awkward to wake up to. Its pitch black and all you hear is a little furball tearing rear end around your room.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I hold firmly that rabbits are just tiny horses. Points for: they both like hay and carrots, it hurts like a bastard when they bite you, and they make the same sound when they run.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

NancyPants posted:

I hold firmly that rabbits are just tiny horses. Points for: they both like hay and carrots, it hurts like a bastard when they bite you, and they make the same sound when they run.

They are actually very anatomically similar to horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

I dunno, horses actually obey people. I'd say they're more like tiny deer.