Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Awesome, thanks! What sort of bloatware comes loaded up on the Yoga 2? Is it stuff you can safely and easily clear off with decrapifier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Naffer posted:

The i5-4200U and i7-4500U differ in the following ways:
Level 3 Cache: 3 vs 4 MB
Base clock: 1.6 vs 1.8 GHz
Single core turbo: 2.6 vs 3.0 GHz
Dual core turbo: 2.3 vs 2.7 GHz.

They are both dual core processors with hyperthreading, the i7 is just clocked higher. You can expect the i7 to be ~10-15% faster but they don't really differ in a meaningful way for routine non-gaming non-video editing PC use.

But the i7 does do meaningfully better at video editing?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

LifeSizePotato posted:

But the i7 does do meaningfully better at video editing?
It's all relative. If you are a really heavy computer user using your PC all day to edit video, crunch numbers or do other tasks where you constantly find yourself waiting for things to finish, then there is a tangible benefit to a marginally faster PC since all that waiting adds up to serious time. If you're buying this PC to watch Hulu, video chat on Skype, browse the internet, and write papers on then you will find the two CPU options indistinguishable.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Yeah it should be a Mini PCI-E card. You can get the dual band AC card for $30 on Newegg.

You can't (trivially) install 3rd party wireless cards in Lenovo laptops. The BIOS/UEFI will prevent you from booting if it detects a card without the "Lenovo OEM" secret sauce.

e: Previous post about this here.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

TasogareNoKagi posted:

You can't (trivially) install 3rd party wireless cards in Lenovo laptops. The BIOS/UEFI will prevent you from booting if it detects a card without the "Lenovo OEM" secret sauce.

Oh that sucks. They don't have the 7260 AC card in any of their products, do they?

Stew Man Chew posted:

Awesome, thanks! What sort of bloatware comes loaded up on the Yoga 2? Is it stuff you can safely and easily clear off with decrapifier?

I haven't tried decrapifier, I just manually uninstalled all of the Lenovo programs that were installed. They were mostly metro apps.

I did uninstall the Energy Management software, and realized that for some reason it is what triggers the keyboard/trackpad to turn off in stand mode. But everything else was uninstalled with no issues.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Is this not something you can get around by disabling Secure Boot or is this an additional restriction Lenovo itself places on the bios?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

No, that's been a Thinkpad "thing" since before Secure Boot was around.

I'm waiting for the Thinkpad Yoga I think. I can't deal with not having a nipple mouse, and 12.5"/1080p is the sweet spot for me in a classic desktop environment with no scaling, whereas the Yoga 2 Pro display would be unusable. Originally I was going to get the x240 (upgrading from x230 for the FHD screen), but the Thinkpad Yoga seems better in pretty much every way, except for the lack of hot swappable battery.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there any discernible reason why my S3-391 can't connect to my school wireless? My phone and iPad have zero problems. It's WPA2 with user authentication. Yes, I'm sure I'm using the right password.

It seems like it might be a Windows 8 issue at first but I think the Qualcomm chip in the laptop just blows - any second opinions? Do Qualcomms/Acer laptops traditionally have problems with user authenticated wireless networks?

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Kreez posted:

No, that's been a Thinkpad "thing" since before Secure Boot was around.

I'm waiting for the Thinkpad Yoga I think. I can't deal with not having a nipple mouse, and 12.5"/1080p is the sweet spot for me in a classic desktop environment with no scaling, whereas the Yoga 2 Pro display would be unusable. Originally I was going to get the x240 (upgrading from x230 for the FHD screen), but the Thinkpad Yoga seems better in pretty much every way, except for the lack of hot swappable battery.

Ugh, Lenovo, thank you for having so many models. What was the difference between the Pro2 and the Thinkpad Yogas again? The thinkpad one only does the 1080p, not the QHD+, what else was there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Thinkpad one has the shifty keyboard.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Flying Squirrel posted:

Ugh, Lenovo, thank you for having so many models. What was the difference between the Pro2 and the Thinkpad Yogas again? The thinkpad one only does the 1080p, not the QHD+, what else was there?

The Thinkpad Yoga is a 12.5 inch display instead of a 13.3. It also has a design that protects the keys to make the backside flat when it's in tablet mode and comes with a proper digitizer that supports pen input, among a few other differences.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Naffer posted:

The Thinkpad Yoga is a 12.5 inch display instead of a 13.3. It also has a design that protects the keys to make the backside flat when it's in tablet mode and comes with a proper digitizer that supports pen input, among a few other differences.

Ah right, the keyboard thing, thanks. Wish I could see the two side by side, cause the Pro sounds nice and the price is pretty nice...another month for the thinkpad one though.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Flying Squirrel posted:

Ah right, the keyboard thing, thanks. Wish I could see the two side by side, cause the Pro sounds nice and the price is pretty nice...another month for the thinkpad one though.

Maybe you meant in real life, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2fTHy_Izs

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is this not something you can get around by disabling Secure Boot or is this an additional restriction Lenovo itself places on the bios?

It's not just Lenovo, this is pretty common for all laptop makers because of FCC regs (or fear of them). Each combination of wireless card + antenna must have its own certificate from the FCC.

In older thinkpads you could hack the card or the BIOS to make it work:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card
Probably you still can. Not sure if this is technically illegal or not, though, re: FCC regs.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 16, 2013

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Kreez posted:

Maybe you meant in real life, but:

I did, but that video was still very helpful. I think I am convinced enough to wait for the thinkpad one to hit. Thanks for the link.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I have a $700 max (inc. tax) budget for a new work laptop. It needs to be relatively light so I can shlep it to and from the office everyday (I take public transit to work, .5 mile walk involved.) I really wanted a T430, but even the most basic is over budget with tax. Needs to run UPS worldship, photoshop / lightroom.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

Ethanfr0me posted:

I have a $700 max (inc. tax) budget for a new work laptop. It needs to be relatively light so I can shlep it to and from the office everyday (I take public transit to work, .5 mile walk involved.) I really wanted a T430, but even the most basic is over budget with tax. Needs to run UPS worldship, photoshop / lightroom.

T430 refurb from the outlet?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cream_Filling posted:

It's not just Lenovo, this is pretty common for all laptop makers because of FCC regs (or fear of them). Each combination of wireless card + antenna must have its own certificate from the FCC.

In older thinkpads you could hack the card or the BIOS to make it work:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card
Probably you still can. Not sure if this is technically illegal or not, though, re: FCC regs.

It's pretty much unnecessary to bother hacking up your BIOS for a wireless card unless you just so happen to come into possession of one that isn't white-listed and hacking the BIOS seems like a better expenditure of your time and effort than simply buying a correct card for $30. So, yeah, you do have to make sure you get a white-listed or "correct" card, but it's trivial to do so, so there's no reason you should think that you cannot upgrade the wifi card on a Lenovo down the road.

Just google for what specifically you need and chances are basically 100% (especially for Lenovos) that you'll be able to find one that works within about 5 minutes. I mean, here are just some first-page hits for a Lenovo compatible 6300:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-lenovo-thinkpad-Wireless-60Y3193/dp/B009HOO2CW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T430i-T430-X230-wifi-Card-Intel-Centrino-Ultimate-N-6300-60Y3233-/140909312055
http://www.zakazexpert.com/index.php/item/10658355745

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, the Yoga 2 Pro is up on lenovo.com, already with a $250 rebate on the i5 models (silver and clementine) from the SRP of 1,399.00, allegedly shipping as of today.

Please go and buy it, I need more trip reports to make up my mind :downs:

Edit: Butt Soup Barnes, how's the fan noise on the Yoga 2 Pro (idle/under load)?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 16, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Jarred at AnandTech reviewed the Vaio Pro 13.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7417/sony-vaio-pro-13-exceptionally-portable

It's thin and light and gets 80-90% the battery life of the MBA (depending on load), and it has a 1920x1080 IPS touchscreen. Then again, it's Sony.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like it actually beats the MBA by several hours with the optional external battery.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Jarred at AnandTech reviewed the Vaio Pro 13.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7417/sony-vaio-pro-13-exceptionally-portable

It's thin and light and gets 80-90% the battery life of the MBA (depending on load), and it has a 1920x1080 IPS touchscreen. Then again, it's Sony.

it's also having some mayor wifi issues.

other reviews also say that the built quality is a bit shoddy and that you can bend the base by hand.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Skeleton Apologist posted:

other reviews also say that the built quality is a bit shoddy and that you can bend the base by hand.

You can bend the base by hand, but not because the build quality is shoddy. They went with carbon fiber for the base to keep the weight down (It's less than 2.5 pounds) and carbon fiber is a somewhat flexible.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

He said this about the build

quote:

Unfortunately, the choice of materials and the thinness feels a bit too flexible to me. Sony would counter by saying that a bit of flex rather than bending or breaking is a good thing, and that the added weight of more rigid materials is undesirable; some people will agree with them. I personally like something that feels a bit more solid, but the VAIO Pro 13 isn’t so far off that I wouldn’t at least give it some thought.
And this about the WiFi (in the comments

quote:

As for the WiFi, I've noticed on quite a few Intel 7260 adapters (doesn't seem to matter matter if it's AC, dual-band N, or single-band N) that the WiFi will occasionally lose the ability to connect; turn on airplane mode (disable the WiFi) and then turn it back off and that fixes the problem. It seems to happen about once a week, roughly.
Another commenter said that this problem was fixed with an update.

Even if it's not good machine itself, the power efficiency is good news for other Haswell Windows machines. I still plan on getting the T440s no matter what you guys think of the clickpad.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

The Vaio Pro has been out for 4 months, did they really fix the problem just now?

I don't know, I just think an ultraportable with major wifi issues is kinda pointless.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Vaio Pro has been out for 4 months, did they really fix the problem just now?
That's what a comment said, but who knows? I mainly posted that review because it was AnandTech's first review of a Haswell Windows Ultrabook. I'd never buy a Vaio.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Has anyone who ordered the Yoga 2 Pro from Lenovo today gotten a shipping date?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh my, I have a $300 BB gift card that's unusable to me basically because I never really shop at BB.

The Yoga Pro 2 is tempting, indeed. May even sell my rMBP and use it full time...I just don't know if I can lose the trackpad on the MBP.

Looks good from here and it's in stock all around me (both 128 & 256). Hmm, what's the catch?

Is the SSD partitioned to hell and back like the original Yoga?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 16, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Oh my, I have a $300 BB gift card that's unusable to me basically because I never really shop at BB.

The Yoga Pro 2 is tempting, indeed. May even sell my rMBP and use it full time...I just don't know if I can lose the trackpad on the MBP.

Looks good from here and it's in stock all around me (both 128 & 256). Hmm, what's the catch?

Is the SSD partitioned to hell and back like the original Yoga?

I don't know what the original Yoga was like.

Mine came with:

C Partition: 220GB
D Partition: 4GB (with about 1.5GB of Lenovo drivers)
Recovery: 11.54GB (empty)
Recovery: 1GB (empty)
OEM Partition: 1GB
EFI Partition: 250MB

So out of a 256GB SSD it came out of the box with 195GB free space.

Edit: as far as the catch, I dunno. I posted a pretty hefty review a page back or so. I like it, I don't think there's any catch for me personally, and the price is far better than anything comparable on the market.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2013

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Has the Yoga 2 hit the Canadian Lenovo store yet, via some link I'm missing? The main page just shows the old one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Well, the Yoga 2 Pro is up on lenovo.com, already with a $250 rebate on the i5 models (silver and clementine) from the SRP of 1,399.00, allegedly shipping as of today.

Please go and buy it, I need more trip reports to make up my mind :downs:

Edit: Butt Soup Barnes, how's the fan noise on the Yoga 2 Pro (idle/under load)?

$1149 for a 3200x1800 screen, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Not MBA battery life, but everything else is pretty great, like they're not horribly gouging for the RAM and SSD upgrades. Unless Samsung et al. reduce their prices quite a bit, I'm not sure how any other ultrabook is going to compete. You last few holdouts, time to give up your nipples and embrace the touchpad :unsmigghh:

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I'm shopping for T430 ultrabay sleds,

what's the consensus on dirt cheap from EBAY?

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 17, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Oh fan noise is really quiet. When just web browsing it's basically silent and I can only hear it if I put my ear close to it. Under load it's just a faint noise.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RVProfootballer posted:

$1149 for a 3200x1800 screen, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Not MBA battery life, but everything else is pretty great, like they're not horribly gouging for the RAM and SSD upgrades. Unless Samsung et al. reduce their prices quite a bit, I'm not sure how any other ultrabook is going to compete. You last few holdouts, time to give up your nipples and embrace the touchpad :unsmigghh:

I'm (STILL) holding out to see what the specs and prices on the t440s are going to be, but if it doesn't drop by holiday season I'll probably be going with the Yoga 2 Pro.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does it make sense to wait until the holiday season? I'm probably gonna get the Yoga 2 Pro but my current laptop isn't completely useless yet. I don't suppose the newest laptops usually get big discounts.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MatCauthon posted:

I'm (STILL) holding out to see what the specs and prices on the t440s are going to be, but if it doesn't drop by holiday season I'll probably be going with the Yoga 2 Pro.

I'm fighting the urge to buy pretty hard right now. I just bought a Zenbook last year, 15 months ago, and have never kept a laptop for less than ~3 years. But I can sell that on eBay for $700-800 and get an upgraded screen, double the RAM and SSD, come close to doubling the battery life, and only be out $400-500.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Update on Yoga 2 Pro battery and a mini review:

Thank you for this. Gonna go buy one, most likely.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 17, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Has the Yoga 2 hit the Canadian Lenovo store yet, via some link I'm missing? The main page just shows the old one.

Nope, and I tried calling and chatting with them. They won't ship to Canada :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lenovo, ship the T440 & S already! t:mad:t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm fighting the urge to buy pretty hard right now. I just bought a Zenbook last year, 15 months ago, and have never kept a laptop for less than ~3 years. But I can sell that on eBay for $700-800 and get an upgraded screen, double the RAM and SSD, come close to doubling the battery life, and only be out $400-500.

The only two things holding me back right now are that I really like Thinkpads, and that I've heard that doing any kind of time-intensive work on tablets can be a strain or otherwise unpleasant. Not that I'm exactly going to be writing dissertations or anything, but given the amount of time I spend on the computer now, I'd rather err on the side of caution. And my current PC, although slowly crapping out on me, should be sufficient to get me through this semester and possibly next semester, worst case scenario. I'm willing to wait, but it is frustrating.