Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

AstroZamboni posted:

One bit of the show I initially didn't cotton to was the Weather. Over time, however, it became one of my favorite bits. More and more the songs are tonally/thematically matching what's happening in the story and most of the music is loving fantastic. Really loving Squalloscope.

I confess I only have three of them on my iPod, and there's an additional two or three that I'll listen to, but not at a great frequency. The others ... maybe there's a reason they haven't made it big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

AstroZamboni posted:

One bit of the show I initially didn't cotton to was the Weather. Over time, however, it became one of my favorite bits. More and more the songs are tonally/thematically matching what's happening in the story and most of the music is loving fantastic. Really loving Squalloscope.
Exactly the way I felt and feel.

Again, to reiterate what was said to me in this thread while the show was in its infancy and something I related to someone else later on, listening with the mindset that Cecil is TRULY providing a weather forecast through interpretive song changes things considerably for the better.

I think it was 'Glow Cloud' where this really sunk in for me and 'clicked' in my head.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The third episode must have taken place on a particularly wistful day, then. I still can't listen to "Bill & Annie" without getting a little misty-eyed.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
The last, what, 10 episodes or more of weather have been loving phenomenal. Songs that I legitimately am going to buy on iTunes when I get some time to do so.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I love the appearance of the Faceless Old Woman (Who Secretly Lives in Your Home) as a sort of spooky-yet-benevolent universal constant. I'm not sure if it would be better if every house had its own unique phantom, or if, you know, there's just a Faceless Old Woman. Secretly Living in Your Home.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Ahhhh so excited for Night Vale Live in Greensboro tomorrow night. I stockpiled the last couple months of episodes to listen to today and for the ride down there tomorrow. It was a delight to listen to an episode for the first time since early summer and just fade back into Cecil's dulcet tones; and it was even cooler when I realized I'd get to see that dude, live, tomorrow.

Ready for an awesome night, guys. Thanks again for all that you do with this show.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

I confess I only have three of them on my iPod, and there's an additional two or three that I'll listen to, but not at a great frequency. The others ... maybe there's a reason they haven't made it big?

Except quite a few of the Weather artists have made it (indie-scale) big. John Vanderslice, Hella, Adam Green, the Doomtree crew, Destroyer, have all seen a fair amount of success, and that's just off the top of my head.

Personally, I am waiting for the inevitable Mountain Goats Weather that will someday happen and will surely fit perfectly.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

Except quite a few of the Weather artists have made it (indie-scale) big. John Vanderslice, Hella, Adam Green, the Doomtree crew, Destroyer, have all seen a fair amount of success, and that's just off the top of my head.

Personally, I am waiting for the inevitable Mountain Goats Weather that will someday happen and will surely fit perfectly.

Yeah you just named the people on my playlist.

Mountain Goats would be AWESOME. Or just that one super-depressing song from Moral Oral.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Don't forget Dengue Fever. They've been getting a lot of love from NPR the last couple years and rightly so.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dj_clawson posted:

Mountain Goats would be AWESOME. Or just that one super-depressing song from Moral Oral.

Which one? Moral Orel used No Children, Old College Try and Love Love Love if I'm remembering right. None of them are really anywhere near happy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AstroZamboni posted:

Don't forget Dengue Fever. They've been getting a lot of love from NPR the last couple years and rightly so.

Yeah, my list of artists that have 'made it' was very tossed off and from the top of my head. See also: I left out Clem Snide.

The point is, if you don't like The Weather, that's on you, and saying "Maybe there's a reason they haven't made it big" is both myopic and kind of rude.

Len posted:

Which one? Moral Orel used No Children, Old College Try and Love Love Love if I'm remembering right. None of them are really anywhere near happy.

I'm going to assume Love Love Love because it's about suicides and pain and such. No Children is more bitter, and Old College Try is more about a sort of defeated acceptance.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 17, 2013

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The point is, if you don't like The Weather, that's on you, and saying "Maybe there's a reason they haven't made it big" is both myopic and kind of rude.

Or fairly accurate. It's not a put-down on an artist to note that their work has a very specific audience. They're not making bubblegum pop for a reason. :)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Most of the weather songs are by artists that are successful, full-time touring musicians with fairly large followings. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Mount Moon and Seth Boyer and maybe the guy from Barcelona we featured last time. I have no idea what his career is like.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Mount Moon and Seth Boyer and maybe the guy from Barcelona we featured last time.

Also I did a weather song.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

SHUT UP NOBODY ASKED YOU

Just kidding. I love you.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Earwicker posted:

I did one early on, I was in a weird Nick Cave moment and had found an old cassette of my great grandmother talking about years past then she went into a ghost story ramble so I wrote around it and used it. Anyway, wish I had been able to make myself send it in before you guys were a year behind.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

maxnmona posted:

Most of the weather songs are by artists that are successful, full-time touring musicians with fairly large followings. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Mount Moon and Seth Boyer and maybe the guy from Barcelona we featured last time. I have no idea what his career is like.

I did like Jeff. He grew on me quickly. He was a good choice for the stage.

Oh my playlist: Mystic, Doomtree, Dengue Fever. A lot of the other songs are more "this song was nice, but I don't want to listen to it while walking to work." I need a jam. Or death metal.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Anyone not listening to Jason Webley is doing it wrong.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
I was so happy when Doomtree came up on the weather, since I already loved them. It was a nice surprise, and I do think that the quality of the weather segments have been getting consistently better (or at least I've enjoyed them more) although it was fairly high to begin with.

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:
Saw you guys live tonight in Greensboro and it was awesome, thanks a whole bunch for coming out here to do the show. Also, Cecil is super adorable irl. :)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Excellent show you guys put on tonight!

Cecil's voicemail greeting will no doubt bewilder family members, college fundraisers and countless potential employers for years to come.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Are we allowed to upload fan art to this thread? I didn't see any OP ruling about it, so I'm assuming it's okay. I just started listening, and I'm about 14 episodes in! I'm having so much fun listening to this radio show!

Sometimes I get the feeling that maybe Cecil isn't the best person in the world, though...

Anyway, here's a couple ideas of what I think Carlos might look like:

Sorry if this clashes with anyone else's ideas!

I couldn't decide with his hair. Cecil goes on and on about it, so I drew up a couple ideas. One is kind of serious and macho-looking, while the other one's hair is based on my boyfriend's (who has lovely hair), and looks less macho. What do you guys think? (I've heard there's like "accepted" character designs for the main characters, but I haven't really seen any except for Cecil. I just wanted to throw my own out there, and if I do more, I won't be following those that are already created.)

I'll remove the art if it's not acceptable in this thread.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Another new listener, just powered through the entire archive in about 3 days. Really enjoying the podcast, so thanks to the people that make it I guess!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So it's not headcanon because that's a stupid loving word but my theories based on the episode so far is that Night Vale (and by extention Desert Bluff) is actually near to another dimension, in that the worlds overlap and sort of combine, allowing this sort of surrealist fantasy to happen while everyone going about their lives as if everything was normal and these things are just normal things that happen.

My theories about cecil now is probably close to others in that Kevin is not actually cecil but his brother, and around the time that he died to some thing was also perhaps the epicenter of all this weird poo poo to come about (though cecil mentioned other oddities, which could have just been precursors to the event). The event rewrote cecil's memory and personality.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I'll cosign on the great show last night, I was at the 10 one. Cecil's clear delight at doing this show is just palpable when he's right in front of you, and he had all the fangirls in the audience hanging on to each and every word he said. Impressive. Dude knows how to work a crowd.

Also, the greatest thing I heard said last night (not by Cecil and Joseph): "You're not my Carlos, but I'm glad that you're my Kevin."

Oh, additionally, "Cassette" is the best (and most terrifying) episode in recent memory. Perfect for Halloweenie time. That....gargling noise on the last tape......*shivers*

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I was also at the 10pm Greensboro show last night and I have to say it was a hell of a lot of fun. Cecil seemed much more animated vocally than he usually is on the recorded episodes, and definitely used his acting chops to get the audience worked up and into it (not that it took much effort to achieve that). I hope the episode they performed will be aired soon; it's a really good one and I wish I could talk about it with everyone instead of just the people who were there, for fear of spoiling it.

Also during the Q and A session I got to talk to Joseph Fink briefly about his work with Something Awful and whether that sense of humor inspired Night Vale, and in his answer to me he revealed that SA's own Zach Parsons cowrote a few episodes! I know for sure he mentioned the time traveler episode as having some of his writing, and I think he said Yellow Helicopters did too, but I'm not sure. I was really happy to hear about that, since obviously Zach's brand of alternate-universe weirdness is a perfect fit for Night Vale.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 18, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

poop dood posted:

I was also at the 10pm Greensboro show last night and I have to say it was a hell of a lot of fun. Cecil seemed much more animated vocally than he usually is on the recorded episodes, and definitely used his acting chops to get the audience worked up and into it (not that it took much effort to achieve that). I hope the episode they performed will be aired soon; it's a really good one and I wish I could talk about it with everyone instead of just the people who were there, for fear of spoiling it.

Also during the Q and A session I got to talk to Joseph Fink briefly about his work with Something Awful and whether that sense of humor inspired Night Vale, and in his answer to me he revealed that SA's own Zach Parsons cowrote a few episodes! I know for sure he mentioned the time traveler episode as having some of his writing, and I think he said Yellow Helicopters did too, but I'm not sure. I was really happy to hear about that, since obviously Zach's brand of alternate-universe weirdness is a perfect fit for Night Vale.

Zack co-wrote ep 18. He was not involved in Yellow Helicopters. He also co-wrote the next episode that will be coming out (ep 34), and another episode that hasn't been scheduled yet. Co-writers are always listed in the episode information and in the credits of the episode.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So it's not headcanon because that's a stupid loving word but my theories based on the episode so far is that Night Vale (and by extention Desert Bluff) is actually near to another dimension, in that the worlds overlap and sort of combine, allowing this sort of surrealist fantasy to happen while everyone going about their lives as if everything was normal and these things are just normal things that happen.

My theories about cecil now is probably close to others in that Kevin is not actually cecil but his brother, and around the time that he died to some thing was also perhaps the epicenter of all this weird poo poo to come about (though cecil mentioned other oddities, which could have just been precursors to the event). The event rewrote cecil's memory and personality.

Except Night Vale was already weird as gently caress when Cecil was a kid, from the sounds of that cassette. Like, his destiny to be the radio host is writtne on the tablets at city hall. Also, why are you spoilering speculation?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Um, guys? Bad news...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Um, guys? Bad news...

Yeah, but that's not Cecil Gerschwinn Palmer.

Also, I don't know why I think Gerschwinn is spelled that way.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or is Cecil's voice changing? I can't tell if I'm just hearing the latest episode and remembering wrong, but I thought it used to be more tenor, and this was a bit deeper.

Highly enjoying the show though, and hope to be in the area for a show sometime.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I think it's that he's a bit more animated. Early on he played it very flat and deep, but he has more leeway to bounce around since he's settled into rhe character.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

AstroZamboni posted:

I think it's that he's a bit more animated. Early on he played it very flat and deep, but he has more leeway to bounce around since he's settled into rhe character.

Carlos melted his hardened heart.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

dj_clawson posted:

Len posted:

I think he's talking about 'No Children', as that one seems to resonate the most with the show. To be completely honest, I want to know which one came first: Was 'No Children' inspired by Clay and Bloberta Puppington, or were they inspired by 'No Children'? Because it fits that well with the soul-crushing despair we all know as Season 3.

Also, 'Until I am whole', 'White Cedar' and 'Birth of Serpents' would fit well, but it'd be neat if they did a new song for the weather. Because the Mountain Goats are awesome.

Alright, enough of this TMG sperg-fest from me. One question I have about Ep. 33 is did Cecil's family move to Desert Bluffs, or were they taken there? Is Strexcorp's new interest in the town a piece of his past coming back to haunt him, or another hold-over from the actions of the Sandstorm? Or are these events unrelated strands of intrigue, winding sinuously close together, only to diverge once more against the razor blade of truth?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think he's talking about 'No Children', as that one seems to resonate the most with the show. To be completely honest, I want to know which one came first: Was 'No Children' inspired by Clay and Bloberta Puppington, or were they inspired by 'No Children'? Because it fits that well with the soul-crushing despair we all know as Season 3.

Also, 'Until I am whole', 'White Cedar' and 'Birth of Serpents' would fit well, but it'd be neat if they did a new song for the weather. Because the Mountain Goats are awesome.

Alright, enough of this TMG sperg-fest from me. One question I have about Ep. 33 is did Cecil's family move to Desert Bluffs, or were they taken there? Is Strexcorp's new interest in the town a piece of his past coming back to haunt him, or another hold-over from the actions of the Sandstorm? Or are these events unrelated strands of intrigue, winding sinuously close together, only to diverge once more against the razor blade of truth?

No Children came first by a few years.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

This latest episode was absolutely terrifying. Now I'm really curious how Cecil will handle any further revelations about the past, and where this StrexCorp thing is going.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

J.A.B.C. posted:

No Children is about the culmination/explosion of the relationship between Alpha and Omega, whose relationship is rather well documented in a few dozen Mountain Goats songs from the cassette era. Talahassee as a whole is basically The Album About Alpha And Omega

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Hey maxnmona, how long until we can stop worrying about spoilers from the live shows?

VV excellent thanks

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 21, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hummingbirds posted:

Hey maxnmona, how long until we can stop worrying about spoilers from the live shows?

Right now. I officially absolve you and you can stop worrying about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I was at a LARP this weekend (yes, I know, I'm totally dropping in your esteem) and someone came up to me in the pre-game and said that he saw I posted from the live show theater. He said, "This teenage girl basically assaulted me at a wedding because she said I looked just like Cecil." He knew what Night Vale was, vaguely, but he had to ask around. I've seen the wedding photo, and to be fair he was tall and in a sweater vet and hipster glasses, but he's not, you know, bald, so I showed him a picture of the real Cecil he was very confused.