Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.

KilGrey posted:

The point is they'd have no voice left by the end of the day and you'd hear more raggedness from over straining their vocal chords than you'd hear emotion. It'd also be hard to edit if they went to use bits from the beginning of the day with bits from the end of the day. They'd have to sing their song a thousand times.

I'm pretty sure Ryan Murphy said that in this particular episode, they only did one or two takes on the majority of scenes because both cast and crew were so emotional.

(Fake edit: Yup here's the quote:

quote:

"What you will see in the episode is what really happened," Murphy said of the hour. "Brad [Falchuk] and Ian [Brennan] and I wrote that episode and Brad directed it, and those performances that you'll see, almost everything in that episode is from the first take of every performance because the actors and the crew had a really hard time shooting it."

"I've never seen a crew that you can't continue shooting because they've left the room sobbing. It was very hard."
)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Oasx posted:

Are they even making that much money from those songs? I cannot imagine most people are familiar with most of the musicals, and how many care enough to buy them?
Glee song sales are such a crazy source of revenue that I can't see that being much of an issue. But actually yes, most of their musical theater songs sell much less than their pop songs.

More's the pity, since I really like it when they do musical theater.

PappasKurtz
Jul 14, 2005
Amicus Triumvirate

cathalc posted:

I too felt kinda bad for Jenna getting stuck with the role of the person who makes the death all about them, but I guess the show needed a moment of humor to let people come up for air. And they at least threw in a close up of her bawling during Rachel's song so she didn't come off completely heartless.

Rachel was what broke me. I'd had some tears in my eyes that I held back in pretty much every other scene and then that just did me in. It was a strange thing to notice but it was really obvious they were using the studio recording here (as they do for pretty much every song) because it sounded way too held together for how she looked. I can't imagine how sad the actual rendition Lea did in the choir room sounded.

And, I didn't like myself for it but I did chuckle a little at going from "Finn Hudson, 1994-2013" to "Cory Monteith, 1982-2013"

I had a similar moment when Beist said to Puck, "Trees grow, you know." I was pretty much crying throughout the episode but that line just made me lose it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Glee song sales are such a crazy source of revenue that I can't see that being much of an issue. But actually yes, most of their musical theater songs sell much less than their pop songs.

More's the pity, since I really like it when they do musical theater.

I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes money is the sole reason the show lasted past the second season.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes money is the sole reason the show lasted past the second season.

It probably pays a part, though singles sales have declined as much as viewer ratings have.

Through like "Feud" from last season, I don't think they had any songs crack even 50k in first week sales (which lots of songs did in even S3). It's really hard to find concrete #s just floating around the internet but I know at least 4 of the top-selling songs for the show came from S1/S2 (mostly S2 with Teenage Dream, Forget You, and Loser Like Me). Singles at this point usually hover around 10-20k in first week sales and taper off from there. The highest first-week sales #s I could find from S4 were a few songs hitting 40k, a couple more over 30k, and then everything else under that (compared to RHI/SLY or We Are Young from S3 hitting 100-150k their first week).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the last time they did a song i wanted to re-listen to, let alone get as a mp3 was in season 3 or something. I don't like any of the musical songs, and the rest have simply not appealed to me. Even in a two part Beatles episode i didn't find anything special, though their music choice was really odd.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

You guys shouldn't kid yourselves about the success and influence Glee has, even on its worst days. Here's a Hollywood Reporter article from August detailing TV execs jerking themselves off with the profits Glee nets them.

quote:

Newman then recalled that when Glee was first announced, "The response across the industry was unanimous: Musicals don’t work on TV. It's too expensive. It won't repeat. And the high school setting will keep it too narrow and niche."

Now, Glee is an “international powerhouse,” Newman said. “In fact, we have clients around the world clamoring to create their own versions."

Newman added that licensing deals with Amazon.com and Netflix are worth $1.5 million per episode of Glee, and 50 million songs and 13 million albums from the show have been sold. Glee, he said, boasts more songs on the Billboard Top 100 list than any musical act in history, including The Beatles and Elvis Presley.

“We launched a live stage business with a sold-out arena concert tour in 2011, and now a live stage musical is in the works,” Newman said of Glee. “And two more seasons of the show were ordered by Fox. When you identify the right creator and support a big, creative vision, you get a show like Glee, which is exactly the kind of property that our studio excels at exploiting.”

At Fox, added Walden, Murphy “can develop for broadcast, basic cable, pay cable and more, and we can command far more lucrative deals from networks like HBO for access to talent like him, and then he can flourish creatively knowing he has the support of a studio that can turn his sometimes out-of-the box ideas into successful businesses.”
You realize that 99% of TV shows don't even actually sell music on iTunes, much less any that regularly makes it onto charts. The fact that Glee does so on anything resembling a regular basis is something any network would salivate for; no, they have no complaints. There's a reason they ordered two more seasons of the show at once, after all.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 14, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

gently caress, I'm going to have to see that Broadway show, aren't I? Ugh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Featuring Hugh Jackman as: Kurt Hummel

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrianWilly posted:

Featuring Hugh Jackman as: Kurt Hummel
:stare:
This is the only reason I would ever pay money to see something other than a Glee episode on TV.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
How many Jackman songs has Kurt done? Is it just Boy Next Door, or has he done others? (side note, that was probably one of my favorite Kurt performances)

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I really liked 'Come What May' in s4 but admittedly I'm biased toward Kurt/Blaine stuff and I thought the performance was really lovely and done on one of the most beautiful sets Glee's ever had. I think that's the only s4 song that I bought - they stuff so many songs in episodes now that the quality's gone down and I wish they'd go back to making 3-4 songs work with the plot instead of writing a plot around anywhere from 6 to 8 songs. I don't think that'll happen anytime soon, though.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

XboxPants posted:

How many Jackman songs has Kurt done? Is it just Boy Next Door, or has he done others? (side note, that was probably one of my favorite Kurt performances)

While it's not a Jackman song per say, he sang "Bring Him Home" from Les Mis last season.

Incidentally, my favorite Kurt song is "Being Alive", but that's because that song is one of my favorites of all time (plus he shows off what a beautiful lower register he has)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

You guys shouldn't kid yourselves about the success and influence Glee has, even on its worst days. Here's a Hollywood Reporter article from August detailing TV execs jerking themselves off with the profits Glee nets them.
You realize that 99% of TV shows don't even actually sell music on iTunes, much less any that regularly makes it onto charts. The fact that Glee does so on anything resembling a regular basis is something any network would salivate for; no, they have no complaints. There's a reason they ordered two more seasons of the show at once, after all.

My wife is currently going re-watching Dawson's Creek on Netflix and it brought to mind the way so many WB show's ended with a tag of "tonight's episode featured music from <artist>". I'm curious how much more money that would have brought in were digital distribution available then like it is now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I wanted to remind you all that

Senerio posted:

I'm going to run a best song competition through the next hiatus. Nominations will last until the Thursday after the winter hiatus begins (the one in december), with the tournament likely beginning the Sunday after.

Three rules for nominations:
1) Please wait until a week after First Listen Monday in order to give you time to properly appreciate the song, process how much the performance affects the song, and get rid of both positive and negative initial feelings. Any nomination submitted before this grace period shall be ignored. (As of this repost, all songs currently out are eligible)

2) Please submit your nominations (no formal limit, but please do not just nominate every song your favorite singer sang... unless it's Tina; that's not too many) to GleeBestiesSA@gmail.com, with the subject "Glee Besties," so that my gmail filter will forward it to my main email.

3) Please submit the songs in this format:
Song Title - Season #, Episode #, "Title" - Singer(s) (Character name or appropriate nickname, please. Sebastian Smug is fine, G-Gus Dark Lord of Dalton would be rejected). Bold and italics optional. Please include your SA name in the body of the email so that I may know who nominated what. I will likely place a name next to the person who nominated it.

The tournament will be double elimination, with pre-selected filler songs serving to balance the brackets.

At the moment I have a grand total of 1 Nomination.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

DangerKat posted:

My wife is currently going re-watching Dawson's Creek on Netflix and it brought to mind the way so many WB show's ended with a tag of "tonight's episode featured music from <artist>". I'm curious how much more money that would have brought in were digital distribution available then like it is now.

Does it actually retain that tag on Netflix? I ask because the Buffy ones didn't, but yeah - Buffy, Charmed, Dawson's Creek...

I mean they basically wrote the P3 club in to Charmed in order to have musical guests.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

In defense, they've done it twice with Darren Criss now.

Which songs were these? I've been out of Glee a while.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MikeJF posted:

Only one off the top of my head was the Acoustic version of Teenage Dream from the breakup (4x04). He recorded it acoustic for the album and sang it live, which wasn't exactly the best idea.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Tupping Liberty posted:

Does it actually retain that tag on Netflix? I ask because the Buffy ones didn't, but yeah - Buffy, Charmed, Dawson's Creek...

I mean they basically wrote the P3 club in to Charmed in order to have musical guests.

That was pretty much the point of the Bronze in Buffy as well.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Man, it's easy to pick out songs I hate but hard to narrow down the ones I really like.

You mind if we simply plop down nominations here if we don't mind it being seen, or is it legit easier for you if it's e-mail?

MikeJF posted:

Teenage Dream and Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" during the Guilty Pleasures episode.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://tvline.com/2013/10/17/glee-final-episode-rachel-finn-season-6-finale/

Season 6 is going to be the last.

Michael Ausellio posted:

Glee co-creator Ryan Murphy has made it official: The show won’t go on beyond next season.

At a Paley Center event honoring FX Networks Wednesday night, Murphy confirmed that Season 6 will be Glee‘s last. He also revealed that Cory Monteith’s death has forced him to devise a completely different endgame.

“The final year of the show, which will be next year, was designed around Rachel and Cory/Finn’s story,” he told reporters. “I always knew that, I always knew how it would end. I knew what the last shot was – he was in it. I knew what the last line was – she said it to him. So when a tragedy like that happens you sort of have to pause and figure out what you want to do, so we’re figuring that out now.

“I have a good idea,” Murphy added. “I’m going to tell the studio and the network [in a week] how after Cory’s unfortunate passing we can end the show that I think is very satisfactory. And kind of in his honor, which I love.”

What's the bet the last shot and last line was Rachel walking into his classroom and saying "I'm home"? :smith:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BreakAtmo posted:

http://tvline.com/2013/10/17/glee-final-episode-rachel-finn-season-6-finale/

Season 6 is going to be the last.

What's the bet the last shot and last line was Rachel walking into his classroom and saying "I'm home"? :smith:

Almost certain. I vaguely recall some hubbub about how Murphy was going to allude in the tribute to how Finn's, and by association Rachel's, storyline would've gone through the series finale -- so basically, Finn would've taken over for Will, Rachel would've hit it big, and they'd reunite for good in the series finale.

Now I'd probably say there's even odds on the finale heavily involving Blaine/Kurt somehow. Maybe it ends on their wedding day and they reunite the entire cast, past and present (including Brittany and Quinn this time! and Matt!), for it or something.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just got around to watching this episode yesterday and :smith:

I made it until the Hummel house scene before I started crying. Burt and Carole... just... :smith:

For what it's worth, when it was actually playing live my husband watched the last ten minutes of it, he's never seen any of Glee other than like two or three scenes when I'm watching it sort of thing. When I had finished he was like "ummm... maybe I missed something, but did that teacher steal the jacket from the girl who was sleeping and then basically blame the other guy who wanted someone to believe he didn't steal it" and I was like "yup, yeah that happened."

So even someone with literally no connection to the show realized how terrible Will was.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
With next season being the last, I'd not be opposed to a Time Jump in the story and have them fast-forward to a year, two years, five years in the future, as most of the cast is already in their mid-twenties or beyond.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
Was pleased to see the return of Brad last episode, tinkling away there on the piano. I hope it's not some sort of awful Glee cliche but I do like rooting for him and his quiet hatred of all the kids.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.

BreakAtmo posted:

That pretty much sounds like the plot Rachel herself described when telling Will how she imagined her life ending up with Finn, how it sucks that it'll never happen and whatever comes instead won't be as special. It was basically Murphy and the writers laying out the planned story that can never be now.

I'm honestly shocked anyone on this show was thinking that far ahead.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BrianWilly posted:

Man, it's easy to pick out songs I hate but hard to narrow down the ones I really like.

You mind if we simply plop down nominations here if we don't mind it being seen, or is it legit easier for you if it's e-mail?

I'd rather get it via email (or PM) but I guess it'd be easier for y'all to nominate stuff in here. Mostly want it over email to prevent cluttering.
No real objections, over this hiatus, if there's nominations in the thread, but once we get back to First Listen Mondays I'd rather just have them over email.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

cathalc posted:

That pretty much sounds like the plot Rachel herself described when telling Will how she imagined her life ending up with Finn, how it sucks that it'll never happen and whatever comes instead won't be as special. It was basically Murphy and the writers laying out the planned story that can never be now.

I'm honestly shocked anyone on this show was thinking that far ahead.

Well yeah, it's exactly that, that was my point. Now I'm even more sure of it. Man, that sucks. :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

I'd rather get it via email (or PM) but I guess it'd be easier for y'all to nominate stuff in here. Mostly want it over email to prevent cluttering.
No real objections, over this hiatus, if there's nominations in the thread, but once we get back to First Listen Mondays I'd rather just have them over email.
Gotcha, I'll just stick to e-mail then.

When I get around to it anyway. :sun:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BreakAtmo posted:

Well yeah, it's exactly that, that was my point. Now I'm even more sure of it. Man, that sucks. :(

Yeah, I mean, odds are this was an ending they came up with this past hiatus rather than something they had in mind from the very beginning of the show, but still a bummer.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Oh right, Rachel actually did say she imagined herself saying "I'm home" didn't she? Sorry, I thought that was something you thought of yourself.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, Ryan Murphy and a couple of other people associated with the show have tweeted about Glee's 'NEVER BEFORE AIRED XMAS SPECIAL (too hot for TV!)' which is just about the most nonsensical thing I have ever heard of. They're going to try and convince us this was something that was already filmed and just never shown, but... well, let's just say I'm pretty sure Finn's not gonna be in it. :doh:

At least that answers the question of how they're going to work Christmas into their hosed-up timeline.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

God drat, haven't they pretty much exhausted the whole catalogue of popular Christmas songs with the previous 4 albums? Not to mention burning through all the typical "Christmas special" type plotlines. What's left for them to do at this point?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The cut Santana Santa Baby footage on loop.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Quinn and Santana scissoring their way to an immaculate conception.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Best episode ever :allears:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

jscolon2.0 posted:

The cut Santana Santa Baby footage on loop.

Forty minutes of Ryan Murphy explaining why this was cut in the first place.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh yeah by the way because only three people nominated anything, I looked through the entire glee catalog and put up my own nominations.

What I'm saying is that unless y'all trust me to be a good metric for your taste of music, PM/e-mail me your nominations so I can add them to the list.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Senerio - I've been hit and miss recently with my MBA program. Can you repost the rules for submission and an email address so I can participate?

I'm sure a few of us missed the post and would love to participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I've been debating this over the summer, and I finally decided. I'm going to run a best song competition through the next hiatus. Nominations will last until the Thursday after the winter hiatus begins, with the tournament likely beginning the Sunday after.

Three rules for nominations:
1) Please wait until a week after First Listen Monday in order to give you time to properly appreciate the song, process how much the performance affects the song, and get rid of both positive and negative initial feelings. Any nomination submitted before this grace period shall be ignored. (The songs from The Quarterback will not be eligible until 10/14 at midnight, Eastern time.)
2) Please submit your nominations (no formal limit, but please do not just nominate every song your favorite singer sang... unless it's Tina; that's not too many) to GleeBestiesSA@gmail.com, with the subject "Glee Besties," so that my gmail filter will forward it to my main email.
3) Please submit the songs in this format:
Song Title - Season #, Episode #, "Title" - Singer(s) (Character name or appropriate nickname, please. Sebastian Smug is fine, G-Gus Dark Lord of Dalton would be rejected). Bold and italics optional. Please include your SA name in the body of the email so that I may know who nominated what. I will likely place a name next to the person who nominated it.
I am now accepting votes via PM/any other way you can hit me outside the thread PM me on SynIRC

The tournament will be double elimination, with pre-selected filler songs serving to balance the brackets.

• Locked thread