Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cardiovorax posted:

Still, that shouldn't be happening either. Getting attacked while sleeping should be an autohit, with no defense except armor applying.
Oh, sure. Yeah, absolutely a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I wish the nightlies weren't so buggy and crashy because I can't play if I can't rebuild shopping carts.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I wish it was easier to find some bloody powdered eggs. They're the only volume-friendly way to make soup, but I can't find any for the life of me.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I have Robust Genetics, is it a good idea for me to go strolling around in craters and other radiated areas to deliberately pick up mutations?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

If I have Robust Genetics, is it a good idea for me to go strolling around in craters and other radiated areas to deliberately pick up mutations?

Radiation sickness is a bit of a bugger so I'd probably not suggest giving yourself it, I think you'll end up with the bad symptoms before you start mutating. And even with robust genetics you'll still end up with a lot of crap mutations.

Also if you end up actually being radioactive yourself you'll need to cure that pretty quick, otherwise you're kinda hosed.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Worth a shot, although it's probably faster to pry open a manhole and take a dip in the sewer for a bit, If you just want mutations, though, it's faster to just grind up cooking and start collecting bleach/ammonia. Set up a stove by a pool and you can grind cooking up to level 8 in a day.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 13, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Radiation poisoning is the worst way to pick up mutations. The degree of radiation you need to start mutating is also about the amount that kills you very, very fast.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I also found out, in the hilarious way that you do playing cataclysm, once you start mutating from radiation you just can't stop! An ill fated foray into a waste sarcophagus taught me that.

Popping iodine tablets doesn't cut it when you're growing new limbs every few steps.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Radiation sickness is a bit of a bugger so I'd probably not suggest giving yourself it, I think you'll end up with the bad symptoms before you start mutating. And even with robust genetics you'll still end up with a lot of crap mutations.

Also if you end up actually being radioactive yourself you'll need to cure that pretty quick, otherwise you're kinda hosed.

With radiogenic you can live with the minor radioactivity mutation with no ill effects. If you have moderate radioactivity (shows up as just radioactivity) or higher you'll eventually die.

At least from what I can tell. I've had minor radioactivity and radiogenic for several months in game on my current character without my radiation badge even changing color, but when I tried it with moderate radioactivity the character died from radiation within a few days.

EDIT:

JosephWongKS posted:

Once you get your cooking skill to level 9 it's really easy to just whip up a couple of gallons of mutagen and purifier. Then you can just sit in your hobo-hole and mutate yourself until you wind up with a combination you like. I recommend stripping down and setting your clothes aside before you start loving with your genetics though.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 13, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Want to mutate like crazy? Find caves. I happened upon one filled with sewer rats and made my way down to the Rat King. I'm not sure if this is a new feature or I just never saw it before, but the Rat King will speak constantly, telling you to leave and causing you to gain random mutations every few turns.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a disease, actually, called ratting. It's not quite the best way for mutations.

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Ratting

You'll mutate, but you lose some stat points, and it also advances the rat mutations, which aren't all that great. Unless you want to be shredder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jonny Retro posted:

With radiogenic you can live with the minor radioactivity mutation with no ill effects. If you have moderate radioactivity (shows up as just radioactivity) or higher you'll eventually die.

At least from what I can tell. I've had minor radioactivity and radiogenic for several months in game on my current character without my radiation badge even changing color, but when I tried it with moderate radioactivity the character died from radiation within a few days.

Oh yeah if you happen to get the radiation-eating mutation then you'll be a bit resistant, but last time I managed to get that I also was so radioactive already that my radioactivity mutation progressed until I was practically glowing.

Wild T posted:

Want to mutate like crazy? Find caves. I happened upon one filled with sewer rats and made my way down to the Rat King. I'm not sure if this is a new feature or I just never saw it before, but the Rat King will speak constantly, telling you to leave and causing you to gain random mutations every few turns.

Not random mutations, as you'll find out soon I'm sure.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
From what I can tell of that attack the stat point loss isn't permanent. So if you want the rat mutations it's a perfectly fine way to go with no long-term side effects.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where can you find wheels for a shopping cart? All the shopping carts I've come across in my current game have been wheel-less.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Shopping carts are a box mounted on a set of casters, treated as an underbody wheel. They're not really meant to be ridden like vehicles, they're meant to be pulled around, so just grabbing one and pulling it around works. You grab with Shift+G and press in the direction of the cart. You could probably make a reasonable approximation by grabbing a tire from any wreck and sticking a trunk on it.

E: Although if you want to modify them like other vehicles, there's nothing stopping you from grafting other parts on. I like putting a headlight and a water tank on mine.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 14, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Unless a nightly has recently broken it, the game is smart enough to take into account vehicle weight and cargo weight when pushing/pulling a vehicle. I wonder how much weight you can tug around before the game says no more. I do know that a regular bicycle, fully loaded down with car parts can get heavy enough that you can only maintain 1mph while riding it, but I don't know how that figures into pulling something around.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inadequately posted:

They're not really meant to be ridden like vehicles, they're meant to be pulled around, so just grabbing one and pulling it around works. You grab with Shift+G and press in the direction of the cart.

Thanks! This just made transferring supplies from my old base to my new base much, much easier.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure how much weight is taken into account for pulling things. I seem to pull big wrecks off roads at about the same speeds as shopping carts, and there doesn't seem to be a notable difference between a fully-laden cart with a full tank and an unmodified empty one. Could have changed in the latest nightly, though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It has, I've gotten a number of "The cart is too heavy to move." messages before. It may have more to do with the weight of items in storage on a vehicle than the vehicle itself right now, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a safe and efficient way to overcome alcohol addiction? It seems like a Hobo start gives you 4 free build points if you can survive the crippling withdrawal symptoms, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to do so.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
I've just been going along with the alcoholism honestly, until I've built up enough protection/resources to spend a week in the evac shelter going through withdrawal.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah the only safe and efficient way to recover from an addiction is to have enough food and clean water stockpiled that you can take some time and just sit at home.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frog Assassin posted:

Yeah the only safe and efficient way to recover from an addiction is to have enough food and clean water stockpiled that you can take some time and just sit at home.

Ah, I see. So that's what the starting bottle of whiskey is for - to tide you over till you've stockpiled enough supplies to go cold turkey.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Prostitute background is better than hobo. Crack withdrawal is much easier to deal with than alcohol withdrawal for some reason. It seems to go away quicker too. try it.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Hey all, do leg splints still not do anything? I have a character with a broken leg who's been sitting on his rear end for two days just waiting for his leg to heal. It doesn't seem to impact him at all, but I'd like to have it healed all the same.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Not to be stupid, but you are wearing them, right? If so that's strange, I have to wonder why/how they got broken since I recall being able to regenerate my legs with them in an earlier version.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Not to be stupid, but you are wearing them, right? If so that's strange, I have to wonder why/how they got broken since I recall being able to regenerate my legs with them in an earlier version.

I was, but my character's dead now. Kind of a moot point. This game, man. :downs:

Got them reduced down to zero HP. I'm using the regular version of the game, version .8, not the goon version since that's been crashing on me.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 17, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The only other thing that comes to mind is that I did have to sleep with them on, but you probably did that too. Weird, I distinctly remember not having a problem with that. I'm not sure the version they worked at was past .8 though, might have been late experimental .7.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Is there a way to harvest mutated poppies without falling alseep? Would a mask help? Also I can't figure out how to create dirt piles for planting. Shovel doesn't seem to do anything other than dig pits and the like.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, a filter mask helps with poppies. You need a hoe to make dirt mounds, applying it churns up the ground. You can find them in hardware stores or make your own with a forge if you have the time and materials.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Circutron posted:

I'm using the regular version of the game, version .8, not the goon version since that's been crashing on me.

There is no Goon version at the moment, were you using the now ancient one?

Pretty much all Goon contributions are now merged with the main and GDA is a bit in limbo at the moment, I don't think anyone wants to do anything with it until development slows down a bit. The DDA builds are so rapid at the moment anything you code might as well be made into a pull and just added to the main.

With things going forward remember every nightly is compatible with 0.8 saves so you can update every day like I do and saves don't break. Everything is quite stable right now and 0.8 is already vastly out of date, 0.9 should be coming soon along with a huge amount of new stuff since it won't be save compatible and they're sitting on a lot of stuff until 0.9 is ready.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Strumpie posted:

There is no Goon version at the moment, were you using the now ancient one?

Pretty much all Goon contributions are now merged with the main and GDA is a bit in limbo at the moment, I don't think anyone wants to do anything with it until development slows down a bit. The DDA builds are so rapid at the moment anything you code might as well be made into a pull and just added to the main.

With things going forward remember every nightly is compatible with 0.8 saves so you can update every day like I do and saves don't break. Everything is quite stable right now and 0.8 is already vastly out of date, 0.9 should be coming soon along with a huge amount of new stuff since it won't be save compatible and they're sitting on a lot of stuff until 0.9 is ready.

I was, yes. Looking forwards to the next regular update!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Any word on what those big 0.9 changes might be?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Any word on what those big 0.9 changes might be?
Well in term of content: tons of new items, fixes, rebalanced, items actually spawning inside the vehicles and their trucks, strength check on some terrain destruction (child zombies are too weak to destroy doors now), they basically moved all the creatures/items/furniture data to the external json files so you can edit them, tons of new recipes and more stuff you can disassemble, more stuff to cook, actual chemistry (from glue to gunpowder), i think they totally redone the vehicle building code too, fungal monster/disease rebalance, new animals (raccoons, rattlesnakes, opossums, turkeys... there are giant crayfishes too i think, never saw one, but they are in the data), tons of new books and magazines for skills... and probably more code stuff i probably didn't notice during the last month or that they are testing internally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Well in term of content: tons of new items, fixes, rebalanced, items actually spawning inside the vehicles and their trucks, strength check on some terrain destruction (child zombies are too weak to destroy doors now), they basically moved all the creatures/items/furniture data to the external json files so you can edit them, tons of new recipes and more stuff you can disassemble, more stuff to cook, actual chemistry (from glue to gunpowder), i think they totally redone the vehicle building code too, fungal monster/disease rebalance, new animals (raccoons, rattlesnakes, opossums, turkeys... there are giant crayfishes too i think, never saw one, but they are in the data), tons of new books and magazines for skills... and probably more code stuff i probably didn't notice during the last month or that they are testing internally.

That sounds promising, I read the git logs for the fungal rebalance and it sounds... interesting. I'm really going to have to make some molotovs as I still haven't ever used one.

I do like just buggering about with making stuff with recipes so that's always welcome, and strength-based destructiveness would also be really nice, it's silly that you can't make anything really zombieproof at the moment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rattlesnakes are bastards, got offed by one yesterday as I just kept swinging at it 60 times with a rapier and not hitting once. I never knew they were Shaolin masters, or such persistent predators.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So the experimental builds have changed up unarmed fighting styles so they are no longer a hidden weightless "weapon" and there's just a little thing next to your wielded weapon telling you what style you are using, but you can no longer actually look at the styles. Do they still do the same things as the old versions? On the upside you can now actually wield unarmed weapons with your Karate Master character.

Also they took out the Shaolin and deadly venoms styles, no more ridiculous trillion punch shenanigans. :( Maybe we will get styles for different weapon types now though. Every bladed weapon is a rapier if you are a fencing master!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I once spent most of an in-game day fighting a rattlesnake. Between my low melee skills and overencumbrance, and him being completely unable to make a significant scratch on my armour, we just swung at each other for hour over hour. Eventually got bored and shot him to death with one arrow. The moral of the story is gently caress rattlesnakes.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Like people said already 0.9 will hopefully round out most of the JSONisation. Although melee has been overhauled and vehicles as well they're both incomplete due to certain things that would break 0.8 saves so they're being withheld until 0.9.

Don't forget you can now 'G'rab furniture to move it in real-time rather than the construction menu!
Pushing bookcases in front of doors when zombies are trying to break through is pretty awesome now it's so simple.

e: And as for the Fungal overhaul, it's pretty insane. It will now start to creep across the map using a new life cycle for fungal spores that spread it dynamically and exponentially. Also way, way, way more Fungals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Let's hope it will also be way, way easier to get rid of, because having unstoppable fungus take over the whole map is not my idea of a fun time.