Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i wish i had done anything at all with that electronics knowledge instead of just following the instructions to build the projects when i was like 8, then packing it away and playing video games til i forgot all that poo poo entirely

replace "radio shack electronics kit" with "college" and you have the past couple years of my life. oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jonny 290 posted:

so incredibly triggered

This is the one I grew up with. I worked it until the cardboard disintegrated, and then I ripped the variable capacitor out of it and built a shortwave antenna tuner with it

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-200-In-1-Electronic-Built-In-Out-Front/dp/B0057M168Q

holy poo poo, childhood flashback. had the exact same one, though i never used it much. it took time away from my own daft nerd thing, which was tearing into HEP + astrophys textbooks

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

btw this is the best space book you can buy an 8yo

doesn't matter that the words are way beyond an 8yo's reading level, the illustrations are incredible

Dec 26, 2012

madeupfred posted:

it was a perforated box that you could turn into a breadboard that was full up with electric bits the included book explained

this sounds really cool + not amazingly hard to make and im surprised i dont see more kits like this

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

coffeetable posted:

btw this is the best space book you can buy an 8yo

doesn't matter that the words are way beyond an 8yo's reading level, the illustrations are incredible

actually it's

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dur posted:

aw yeah

i had this one

i had one worse than any of those but it was still cool. was always amazed at crystal radio with 0 battery

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thinking of doing a "200 in 200" video where i buy my old lab kit, shoot a 3h20minute video and try to get the whole book done, 200 projects in 200 minutes

the early circuits should take 5-10 seconds each, but i'll need that time for the later ones.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

thinking of doing a "200 in 200" video where i buy my old lab kit, shoot a 3h20minute video and try to get the whole book done, 200 projects in 200 minutes

the early circuits should take 5-10 seconds each, but i'll need that time for the later ones.

do a 200 in 400 w narration and id watch it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh yeah i could do explanatory patter over all of it. i get the fundamental concepts now and have a toolbox full of analogies

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember marveling at my first purchase of raw one-sided PCBs, on which I could actually etch circuits. no more projects done on hammered nails in a piece of wood

you had nails? and wood?

wow

so bourgeoisie

Jonny 290 posted:

this would own

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's not a v. helpful toolbox when you need to actually get poo poo done :colbert:

i have no idea how to search for the electronics kit i had as a kid but it was gray and yellow and besides the spring terminals it had these teeny little breadboards like 5x3 all over the place so you could make little patches of multiple wires without the other ones springing out. totally sick

i learned electronics at a science summer camp i went to every year. it was taught by this red haired chubby guy with a temper. he made everyone start out with a real breadboard and a bunch of tacks before he'd let you solder or use one of the fancy new plastic "modular breadboards" (oooooh)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love analogies

except when I'm in church
I have this theory that people leave church feeling like they've learnt something but it's only because they identify with the analogy, even if the original concept was completely nonsensical

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

this would own

yeah totally do it. i kind of want to do the same to see if my knowledge of analog electronics is greater than that of a fifth grader with a 200-in-1 kit but i have enough other projects so i'd love to do it vicariously

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i love breadboarding

it's an unabashed love that belongs on the autism spectrum, neatly putting my wires in exactly the right place, arranging components, the pleasure of a circuit working correctly the first time

if it doesn't work there is the unalloyed joy of a circuit with all its bits laid out so getting an o-scope on it is n.b.d

win/win

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its really entertaining how troubleshooting a tiny little circuit board can make it explode into this fuckin six foot wide wire/tentacle demon from hell that is carefully spread over the kitchen table including this one weird wire that has to hang over the arm of a chair so poo poo doesnt fall off the table when you solder on it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
those spring terminals loving suck

I think I would have prefered to start with a real breadboard, or banana plugs

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

its really entertaining how troubleshooting a tiny little circuit board can make it explode into this fuckin six foot wide wire/tentacle demon from hell that is carefully spread over the kitchen table including this one weird wire that has to hang over the arm of a chair so poo poo doesnt fall off the table when you solder on it

discovered by a schoolteacher

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

they're mostly 15 to 17 years old and they use those terms 100% because reddit. when they don't get along with another boy they say he's an idiot or whatever, but when it's a girl out comes the "feminazi" and "get back on the kitchen make sandwiches lol".
i think that most of it originally comes from two or three really unpleasant rear end in a top hat kids who are already fat bully creeps but it rubs off on the others because they're 15 year old nerds who have no other experience interacting with girls normally.

so anyway because I think at least some of them look up to me I try to emphasize that every mature person is just grossed out by sexism and in fact the girls will like you a lot better if you treat them like a normal person and don't try to belittle them etc

when it works, feels good man

i think thats what really gets to me about reddit (i mean, besides cp and such). you have these 40+ year old ubernerds that spit their venom into the world because...well most likely they cannot or will not recognize their responsibility as to why girls (and in fact most people) dont like them. then you get socially awkward teenagers who glom onto these hate filled idiots because they seem funny and/or wise to people who dont know better and you wind up with young men who unwittingly gut their own chances at social functioning by aping the behaviors of the alpha nerds. im sure a lot of them are kind of adrift and looking for parental type figures because their own parents werent able to impart any real coping skills, whatever the reason might be. thank god people like you are out there at least attempting to steer them straight.

ugh im ranting about bad influences i have become my parents, the circle is complete, death is certain

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yospos bithc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

i think thats what really gets to me about reddit (i mean, besides cp and such). you have these 40+ year old ubernerds that spit their venom into the world because...well most likely they cannot or will not recognize their responsibility as to why girls (and in fact most people) dont like them. then you get socially awkward teenagers who glom onto these hate filled idiots because they seem funny and/or wise to people who dont know better and you wind up with young men who unwittingly gut their own chances at social functioning by aping the behaviors of the alpha nerds. im sure a lot of them are kind of adrift and looking for parental type figures because their own parents werent able to impart any real coping skills, whatever the reason might be. thank god people like you are out there at least attempting to steer them straight.

ugh im ranting about bad influences i have become my parents, the circle is complete, death is certain

embrace

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dur posted:

actually it's

omg that book was the best

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
over the weekend i replaced the blazer distributor and drained the gas. There was about 4ounces of rusty water in 5 gallons of gas. bad poo poo.

Distributor body got modded with a dedicated ground terminal, as by stock they ground through the distributor clamp, which is lovely and stupid

Tore off the carb, too, it is in better shape than I thought. has a brass float so i dont have to replace that, and I found the rebuild kit online. carb is sitting in pieces soaking in carb cleaner on the bench.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have infinite free time and zero motivation as a result my idiot spare time projects are languishing i wish i wasnt such a lazy shitlord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a decent amount of free time but my work ethic prevents me from using it properly because i go "well i should probably be catching up on grading or preparing for class" or whatever

it's lame

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i try something for a fminute, get hell demotivated becvause im terrible at eveyrthing then mast again

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i started a new job so my programming projects have been languishing, although i wasn't really sure where i wanted to go next since i had written that basic 3d renderer essentially from scratch, a workable if simplistic cfd simulator, and a physics engine that could do elastic collisions and gravity and such

maybe i should try to write a finite element modeler or something of that sort, iunno

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

echinopsis posted:

i try something for a fminute, get hell demotivated becvause im terrible at eveyrthing then mast again

same :(

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i started a new job so my programming projects have been languishing, although i wasn't really sure where i wanted to go next since i had written that basic 3d renderer essentially from scratch, a workable if simplistic cfd simulator, and a physics engine that could do elastic collisions and gravity and such

maybe you could make a universe sandbox kinda thing?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

maybe i should try to write a finite element modeler or something of that sort, iunno

next steps are to either refine what you've got atm (cfd + solid body algs are a bottomless pit of cool things) or combine them. ex: solid body sim + fluid sim = underwater body sim

or do something completely new ofc.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 17, 2013

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm an idiot ALL the time

Frisky
Apr 2, 2012

What turtle?

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm an idiot ALL the time

you might think yourself an idiot. an idiot i love, always remember that.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

coffeetable posted:

next steps are to either refine what you've got atm (cfd + solid body algs are a bottomless pit of cool things) or combine them. ex: solid body sim + fluid sim = underwater body sim

or do something completely new ofc.

yeah i dunno, maybe

the problem is i've been doing this all in python because it's just for my own personal edification, so it's horrendously slow. i guess i could probably translate it over to C++ or something but i don't really want to, and if i'm going for efficiency then i'd just use libraries and functions that other people have already written

that's why i'm kind of looking for a new project where i'd get to start with the basic math and then build up from there

maybe i'll look into quantum physics; see if i can simulate a hydrogen atom or something. that should be sufficiently challenging

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
this has probably already been said but c# may suit your needfuls, being easier to deal with than c++ but also being somewhat more performant than python

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

not gonna defend python's performance too hard, but as long as you're not doing anything too exotic there are a lot of libraries that provide python bindings for C/C++ implementations of computational-intensive things. numpy and scipy are the big two, and they're fast enough to (gradually) replace the horrific mess of fortran, C and MATLAB the physics community has accumulated over the last 30 years

seeing as you're the kind of guy who writes his own raytracer though yeah maybe tossing it over the wall to a library is defeating the point of the exercise

e: if you want a pile of new math to gently caress with and you want to build on the CFD stuff, face to magnetohydrodynamics

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 17, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

not mhd but just came across it and :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zw6Eih7QG0

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

that's obviously a popcorn

but yeah stellar evolution is neat; maybe i could rig something up that simulates EM forces as well

hmmmmmmm

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

echinopsis posted:

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah i dunno, maybe

the problem is i've been doing this all in python because it's just for my own personal edification, so it's horrendously slow. i guess i could probably translate it over to C++ or something but i don't really want to, and if i'm going for efficiency then i'd just use libraries and functions that other people have already written

that's why i'm kind of looking for a new project where i'd get to start with the basic math and then build up from there

maybe i'll look into quantum physics; see if i can simulate a hydrogen atom or something. that should be sufficiently challenging

use a wavelet model to simulate light interference through a slit or grating. output to a file and make pretty pictures with gnuplot, or have a realtime output maybe with adjustable parameters.

model various things rolling down ramps or along tracks under the influence of gravity. take into account friction and angular momentum. model some rollercoasters and calculate if a human could survive them

make a pendulum simulator, then make a pendulum on earth simulator taking coriolis and centripetal forces into account.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

odark thirty posted:

model various things rolling down ramps or along tracks under the influence of gravity. take into account friction and angular momentum. model some rollercoasters and calculate if a human could survive them

actually i might do this one, the world needs a porrasturvat for roller coasters

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

yeah i dunno, maybe

maybe you should try using opengl now that you know the basics, and even in python it would still be fast bc the heavy lifting is done by the gpu
and while it does a lot of things for you you still get to implement transformation and lighting except you do it by writing shaders instead of python (but the math and principles remain the same)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zlodo posted:

and while it does a lot of things for you you still get to implement transformation and lighting except you do it by writing shaders instead of python (but the math and principles remain the same)

the last time i touched opengl HW T&L wasn't a thing yet

how do i write shaders?
where do people learn this poo poo?