Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

univbee posted:

I doubt it's the video mod now that I give it another look, it's literally pulling a signal one way from the mainboard, I don't think it can return and gently caress anything up. This reeks of a software issue. It's hard to tell with any certainty because the board is tucked away and hard to see, but it looks similar to this, with the hardware being on an extra little board instead of straight on the motherboard: http://jpx72.detailne.sk/modd_files/fc/avmod.htm

Did you do that mod to the PPU itself? Aside from that, nothing looks particularly inoffensive unless it's causing the PPU to talk to itself in some weird way. Have there been reports of any other AV Fami users having problems (was it a AV Fami or a normal one that's AV modded?)

Heran Bago posted:

ACID POLICE products are all of the highest build quality and you would have to be DUMB not to get them all.

:respek: :respek: :2bong:

Quidnose posted:

Hey Acid Police, I wasn't an EverBro but I wanted to be and regretted not getting one. Can I get something special too :ohdear:

If you've ever gotten anything in the mail from me you'd know I don't just send what I say I'm going to send. You will but it won't be the OG EVERBROZ CREW reunion commemorative.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Hey Acid Police, I wasn't an EverBro but I wanted to be and regretted not getting one. Can I get something special too :ohdear:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

Did you do that mod to the PPU itself? Aside from that, nothing looks particularly inoffensive unless it's causing the PPU to talk to itself in some weird way. Have there been reports of any other AV Fami users having problems (was it a AV Fami or a normal one that's AV modded?)

A normal one that's AV-modded, I bought it already modded off eBay. This is literally the only thing about it that doesn't work. Every legit cart I've thrown at it works, including American ones with a PIN converter. The N8 works with OS versions 1-3, but not with OS versions 4-7. This is consistent across two N8's, and the same N8's work with OS versions 4-7 in my NES.

VV I have other fami's, but only with the stock RF out so I'd have no way to confirm they were working right.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 17, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

univbee posted:

A normal one that's AV-modded, I bought it already modded off eBay. This is literally the only thing about it that doesn't work. Every legit cart I've thrown at it works, including American ones with a PIN converter. The N8 works with OS versions 1-3, but not with OS versions 4-7. This is consistent across two N8's, and the same N8's work with OS versions 4-7 in my NES.

I assume you don't have any non-modded original Famis to try this on, do you? I can't imagine it plagues all Famis because there's no way Krikzz would get 3 OS updates happen with no Fami support. Unless there's something like a really random batch of PPU's that act differently and you happen to only have those or something totally crazy and wacky.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

madpanda posted:

Can you confirm this works fine with the original rectangle controllers?

Was planning to when the AC adapter for the Twin Famicom shows up from Japan. Gonna check my regular NES controllers and NES Advantages I have. I decided to make my Twin Famicom my main machine for NES/Famicom games so I just literally grabbed the AC adapter, controller adapter and a 72 to 60 pin converter all very recently.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Can confirm it will work fine unless they really hosed up the wiring.

Mine not be pretty but my homebrew has no issues with player 1 or 2 :pwn:

There's an exception of like... 2 games that don't work with it. Super Mario Bros USA/SMB2 and I forget the other. Oh, the N8 os doesn't work with it either. Neither does most homebrew like Battle Kid.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Was planning to when the AC adapter for the Twin Famicom shows up from Japan. Gonna check my regular NES controllers and NES Advantages I have. I decided to make my Twin Famicom my main machine for NES/Famicom games so I just literally grabbed the AC adapter, controller adapter and a 72 to 60 pin converter all very recently.

You probably could have saved money and time by buying a simple switching power supply off Amazon...

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

univbee posted:

VV I have other fami's, but only with the stock RF out so I'd have no way to confirm they were working right.

You don't have a RF-capable TV or cable to test it with? I'd try that out and see what you get.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So I'm looking to buy a Saturn to play all the games I missed on the actual hardware. Being that Id like to play some of the rarer $600 games, Im looking into a modchip. Is my course here pretty much set, buying a decent looking model 2 off ebay and a modchip from Racketboy?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ACID POLICE posted:

You don't have a RF-capable TV or cable to test it with? I'd try that out and see what you get.

No RF-capable TV full stop.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Klisejo posted:

So I'm looking to buy a Saturn to play all the games I missed on the actual hardware. Being that Id like to play some of the rarer $600 games, Im looking into a modchip. Is my course here pretty much set, buying a decent looking model 2 off ebay and a modchip from Racketboy?

It all depends on how many pins the IC is on the cdrom. Unfortunately it looks like the universal chips are OOS but I'd try contacting this guy to see if he's getting any more to save a pretty penny on the chip
http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Install Windows posted:

You probably could have saved money and time by buying a simple switching power supply off Amazon...

I'm anal and buying switching power supply is not :retrogames: enough.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Right, so, my attempts to get a legit SNES power cord have gone nowhere. Ended up getting a cheap reproduction one to test, and while my one with the hosed up power jack more or less works(it boots and plays, but because the little center bit of plastic is missing, the cord can wiggle around and lose connection), my childhood Super Nintendo won't even boot. Joy.

And on top of that, plugs and consoles seem to have become worth more than their weight in loving gold. And money's getting rather tight for me right now, especially with the holidays coming up.

So I ask you, people of the retro game thread: Anybody have a spare SNES, and/or an AC adapter, and would be willing to talk trades?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Yalborap posted:

Right, so, my attempts to get a legit SNES power cord have gone nowhere. Ended up getting a cheap reproduction one to test, and while my one with the hosed up power jack more or less works(it boots and plays, but because the little center bit of plastic is missing, the cord can wiggle around and lose connection), my childhood Super Nintendo won't even boot. Joy.

And on top of that, plugs and consoles seem to have become worth more than their weight in loving gold. And money's getting rather tight for me right now, especially with the holidays coming up.

So I ask you, people of the retro game thread: Anybody have a spare SNES, and/or an AC adapter, and would be willing to talk trades?

If you have a legit Famicom AC Adapter, I can give you an adapter that works on Famicom and SNES. (It has 2 cables coming out of it.)

Edit: It also works on Model 1 Megadrives.

Edit2: Or you could just buy it for yourself. Especially since it will probably cost more than $7.49 To ship a Famicom adapter to me, and this adapter to you. It works great and I've never had any issues with it, so if it doesn't work for yours it might be a problem with your console. If you're a purist then I'm afraid you're out of luck because I'm keeping my stock SNES adapter. :colbert:

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 17, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Welp I just bought a ENIO EXP Board. What do I need to do with it to let you all know how it works? Stuff an FDS RAM cart in with an adapter to listen for the extra sound?

I don't have an NES flash cart, only a Famicom one.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Klisejo posted:

I recently bought a model 2 off eBay and an SSIC8B chip from Racketboy as well. It wasn't too bad, you just need to be ready to solder a wire from the chip to the CD drive. I found this guide very helpful since it has instructions for the different versions of the CD drives you might encounter.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Peenmaster posted:

I don't even own a TurboGrafx but you can believe I'd be in on a Turbo Ever drive group buy. :retrogames: I'm still kicking myself for not being a Megabro.

I'll be a TG16 owner in a day or so. :smuggo:

And I'd be totally down with a Turbo Everdrive buy. I'm normally a huge sucker for original hardware but given the scarcity of Turbografx stuff in the wild and the relative expense of some of the tougher to find and/or better games, I could see my way to going with a flash cart for this system. Helps to not have an emotional attachment to the original stuff, having never owned one before.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Welp I just bought a ENIO EXP Board. What do I need to do with it to let you all know how it works? Stuff an FDS RAM cart in with an adapter to listen for the extra sound?

What US games would the extra sounds bit work for, if any? Might look into one of these solely for that.

Edit: Oh god a package arrived!

Could it be? It is!

Had hoped for real RF and AC cords. The last adapter I got of that type made a horrific buzzing noise with my Genesis. Also hadn't expected it to come with Keith Courage (wasn't listed) so I have another one of those ordered separately on the way. :doh:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 17, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

What US games would the extra sounds bit work for, if any? Might look into one of these solely for that.

None. The extra sound was removed from every game whose Japanese version featured it because there was never any official US hardware that bridged the required audio connection in the EXP slot.

In Japan, about a third of Famicom Disk System games used it. The ones most familiar for English audiences:

Doki Doki Panic
Bio Miracle: Bokutte Upa!
Metroid
Zelda 1 (FDS version only; the Japanese cart version has the same sound as the US release of the game)
Zelda 2
Castlevania 2

There was a tiny selection of cart-based games that had extra sound hardware in them:

Castlevania 3 (Akumajou Densetsu, English patches for the Japanese ROM exist for playback on the N8)
Gimmick (incidentally, there's no way to get an official cart of this for less than $200, is there?)
Lagrange Point
Digital Devil Story II plus a few other Namcot games from around the same era

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

McCracAttack posted:

I recently bought a model 2 off eBay and an SSIC8B chip from Racketboy as well. It wasn't too bad, you just need to be ready to solder a wire from the chip to the CD drive. I found this guide very helpful since it has instructions for the different versions of the CD drives you might encounter.

Thanks. I kind of figured that was pretty much the way to go.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

None. The extra sound was removed from every game whose Japanese version featured it because there was never any official US hardware that bridged the required audio connection in the EXP slot.

In Japan, about a third of Famicom Disk System games used it. The ones most familiar for English audiences:

Doki Doki Panic
Bio Miracle: Bokutte Upa!
Metroid
Zelda 1 (FDS version only; the Japanese cart version has the same sound as the US release of the game)
Zelda 2
Castlevania 2

There was a tiny selection of cart-based games that had extra sound hardware in them:

Castlevania 3 (Akumajou Densetsu, English patches for the Japanese ROM exist for playback on the N8)
Gimmick (incidentally, there's no way to get an official cart of this for less than $200, is there?)
Lagrange Point

Excuse me sir, you're forgetting Ai Senshi Nicol for FDS in your list which is the best and sounds so god-awful on the N8

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

I'll be a TG16 owner in a day or so. :smuggo:

What made you go with the regular TG16 instead of some of the fancier Turbo Duo models?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

McCracAttack posted:

What made you go with the regular TG16 instead of some of the fancier Turbo Duo models?

Unless you're going with the Duo-R or Duo-RX the plain Duo is a boon. You have to replace every single surface mount capacitor inside them or else it breaks. On top of that the audio circuit was built terribly and overheats. Truly the worst of all the PCE/TG models.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

flyboi posted:

the plain Duo is a boon.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I meant boob but my finger slipped :o:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

flyboi posted:

I meant boob but my finger slipped :o:

There's a joke in there somewhere.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

flyboi posted:

Unless you're going with the Duo-R or Duo-RX the plain Duo is a boon. You have to replace every single surface mount capacitor inside them or else it breaks. On top of that the audio circuit was built terribly and overheats. Truly the worst of all the PCE/TG models.

That said, if anyone knows of a cheap Duo, Duo-R or Duo-RX that need a cap-job let me know. I can't really afford working console prices but don't mind spending an afternoon replacing parts.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

I dunno about him but I have a plain TG16 because when I was growing up nobody had one but the rec-center on our base in Germany did and that's where I first played Bonk.

My best friend had the handheld express and I thought it was pretty cool too.

Most of what I collect is inspired by my childhood gaming experiences, which is why I probably don't have anything especially rare or valuable.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

I don't have an NES flash cart, only a Famicom one.

Attaboy!

You could do the sound mod on a Famicom -> NES adapter and hook your flash cart up to it, and then try some FDS games. The N8's emulation of the extra sound channels is a little messed up, but you should still hear it, even if it's wrong.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

G-Prime posted:

Attaboy!

You could do the sound mod on a Famicom -> NES adapter and hook your flash cart up to it, and then try some FDS games. The N8's emulation of the extra sound channels is a little messed up, but you should still hear it, even if it's wrong.

Ah okay, so that I know the thing is working...if I put Castlevania 3 (Japanese version of course) or the Zelda 1 FDS ROM into my toaster without the ENIO EXP Board, I'd hear nothing in place of the improved audio? Meaning, Castlevania 3 (J) would have no audio at all?

Just asking so I know what differences to look out for, because I'd assume that something like Zelda 1 (FDS) on a toaster with no ENIO EXP Board would give me music (except the title screen) but no sword shooting sound effects.

I got that Krikzz adapter from the awesome Kreeblah during the summer secret Santa exchange; I assume that with the Famicom N8 should be enough since, as far as I know, that adapter is already modified for expanded audio?

(Also, if it's already modded for expanded audio, why do I need the ENIO EXP Board? :psyduck: )

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ah okay, so that I know the thing is working...if I put Castlevania 3 (Japanese version of course) or the Zelda 1 FDS ROM into my toaster without the ENIO EXP Board, I'd hear nothing in place of the improved audio? Meaning, Castlevania 3 (J) would have no audio at all?

Just asking so I know what differences to look out for, because I'd assume that something like Zelda 1 (FDS) on a toaster with no ENIO EXP Board would give me music (except the title screen) but no sword shooting sound effects.

I got that Krikzz adapter from the awesome Kreeblah during the summer secret Santa exchange; I assume that with the Famicom N8 should be enough since, as far as I know, that adapter is already modified for expanded audio?

(Also, if it's already modded for expanded audio, why do I need the ENIO EXP Board? :psyduck: )

No, you just won't hear certain effects. I.e this is how the theme song on FDS zelda sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKmBZb3af0

So if it doesn't sound like that it isn't working.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

It's actually two things. The N8 for NES handles the expanded audio automatically, a Famicom N8 with an adapter won't, because the adapters aren't wired to the right pins to allow the expanded audio by default (if your adapter is already modded for the audio passthrough, you're golden) which means it needs to be modded, so it passes that audio to the console hardware. Then, there's another mod to the console itself, which passes the expanded audio out the mono channel on the side (I think maybe it works with the RF adapter, but I could be wrong). The ENIO EXP replaces the console mod and is just a plug and play version. Of note, Castlevania 3 (J)'s audio will be messed up due to the N8's handling of the emulation, but you should still get the extra audio. I'd say you should do Zelda 1 (FDS) as the test.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

univbee posted:

Lagrange Point

Actually, there were quite a few -- they're just generally pretty subtle, adding a few instruments while still doing a lot of the music on the 2A03. The only ones that made you go "holy poo poo, that music is amazing" were Gimmick and Lagrange Point.

Also: Yes, getting an official cart of Gimmick is drat near impossible. :\ I've only ever see it once on Ebay for less than $200, and most of the time it goes for $400+.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
There's a couple ways around the issue with Gimmick, assuming Krikzz never bothers to fix it. (I feel like he will... He'll just take his sweet time about it.)

Because Gimmick uses the Yamaha YM2149, which is a variant of the very common AY-3-8910 with the ability to half the master clock, it's actually possible to wire up the audio chip onto a much more common FME-7 mapper chip. This isn't an easy task, so...

Infinite NES Lives makes a repro board with full Sunsoft FME-7/5B compatibility and you can make a repro much easier that way, however they do not make Famicom boards, only NES, much to my dismay.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

McCracAttack posted:

Mostly that I didn't want to spend the money. I had a $100 gift card and was able to get the system for $75 shipped, with enough left to tack on a few cheap games. The Turbo Duos I've been seeing are all around $200 or more. Might save up for one some day, but I'm content with this for now.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Peenmaster posted:

If you have a legit Famicom AC Adapter, I can give you an adapter that works on Famicom and SNES. (It has 2 cables coming out of it.)

Edit: It also works on Model 1 Megadrives.

Edit2: Or you could just buy it for yourself. Especially since it will probably cost more than $7.49 To ship a Famicom adapter to me, and this adapter to you. It works great and I've never had any issues with it, so if it doesn't work for yours it might be a problem with your console. If you're a purist then I'm afraid you're out of luck because I'm keeping my stock SNES adapter. :colbert:

This has been posted before, but these adapters are a bad idea for SNES/SFC. It doesn't supply enough power for most consoles (it varies), resulting in a dim screen, scrolling discolored lines, etc. Some games will also have graphical glitches -- Yoshi's Island for example, will flicker on certain effects. If you're already spending $8 you may as well buy a good adapter, or a universal that will work with it. (This is the effect I'm describing here.)

I haven't had much issue using these with a Famicom, with a few exceptions. Lagrange Point locks up quickly after booting, and Akira has scrambled graphics. I know Lagrange Point uses a special sound chip, but I don't know what's up with Akira.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Asbrandt posted:

Infinite NES Lives makes a repro board with full Sunsoft FME-7/5B compatibility and you can make a repro much easier that way, however they do not make Famicom boards, only NES, much to my dismay.

I'm still waiting for their SNES repro board that was supposed to release in July. I was planning on grabbing that and making me an Earthbound repro cart for under $50.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Keyboard Kid posted:

This has been posted before, but these adapters are a bad idea for SNES/SFC. It doesn't supply enough power for most consoles (it varies), resulting in a dim screen, scrolling discolored lines, etc. Some games will also have graphical glitches -- Yoshi's Island for example, will flicker on certain effects. If you're already spending $8 you may as well buy a good adapter, or a universal that will work with it. (This is the effect I'm describing here.)

I haven't had much issue using these with a Famicom, with a few exceptions. Lagrange Point locks up quickly after booting, and Akira has scrambled graphics. I know Lagrange Point uses a special sound chip, but I don't know what's up with Akira.

I must have gotten lucky because mine seems to work perfectly. My Akira is as clean as anything else. I've only ever used it for SNES when testing it last night for the above offered trade. I only tested it with Starfox and it looked fine, but I don't have Yoshi's Island to test. Do you know of any other common games seem broken on it, so I can see if I lucked out? I'll also try it for my model 1 SNES, since last night I only tried it on my model 2. If it works it's still up for trade to Yalborap. Otherwise he should probably just go for a sure thing.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Peenmaster posted:

I must have gotten lucky because mine seems to work perfectly. My Akira is as clean as anything else. I've only ever used it for SNES when testing it last night for the above offered trade. I only tested it with Starfox and it looked fine, but I don't have Yoshi's Island to test. Do you know of any other common games seem broken on it, so I can see if I lucked out? I'll also try it for my model 1 SNES, since last night I only tried it on my model 2. If it works it's still up for trade to Yalborap. Otherwise he should probably just go for a sure thing.

Try it with Super Ghouls & Ghosts if you have it; it should have animation glitches in gameplay if the console isn't getting reliable power.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Some further fiddling makes it seem like it's probably the cart connector anyways, not the power source. Which means it's time to get some rubbing alcohol and an old credit card!

EDIT: Alternatively, can you tighten the pins on an SNES connector like an NES connector? In case that's the problem.

Yalborap fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Quiet Feet posted:

And I'd be totally down with a Turbo Everdrive buy. I'm normally a huge sucker for original hardware but given the scarcity of Turbografx stuff in the wild and the relative expense of some of the tougher to find and/or better games, I could see my way to going with a flash cart for this system. Helps to not have an emotional attachment to the original stuff, having never owned one before.

I am just broke enough that I have been able to will myself to skip out on the current Everdrive buy in, but if you guys did one for the Turbo Everdrive I would be down for that so hard. So hard.

• Locked thread