Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Yea lets build an altar to El right on Asherahs doorstep, he's sure to not notice us then!, especially since he's probably starting to rouse for his holy night, coming up in like 4 days.

1 - E, and transfer the spikes over
2 - O, and make a dummy fire a way away from where we're sleeping
3 - T, monsters are definitely out there

Lets prepare for the worst, instead of just praying to El and hoping for the best

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Couldn't we just use our belt to tie ourselves to a branch? Wouldn't have to worry so much about falling out of a tree.

Tsyni posted:

Why build a shrine and hope El will protect us when we can get a weapon that allows us to protect ourselves.

A heart full of El is greater than any stick full of spikes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 17, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

maxhush posted:

Yea lets build an altar to El right on Asherahs doorstep, he's sure to not notice us then!, especially since he's probably starting to rouse for his holy night, coming up in like 4 days.

1 - E, and transfer the spikes over
2 - O, and make a dummy fire a way away from where we're sleeping
3 - T, monsters are definitely out there

Lets prepare for the worst, instead of just praying to El and hoping for the best

Yeah, alright, I'll second this, I like your rationale. Was going to go with a staff instead of a club, but hey, as long as we've got these spikes...

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Sharur was Enkidu's magical club that gave him the ability to fly. We should totally name our club. We should then see if we can get it to fly, or shoot flames, or let us breathe underwater. Of course it can't actually do any of those things since it is basically just a big stick, but hey, what do we know?

I think the full moon is offerings to El as well as other entities.

I propose that we scope out the pearl beds and then do a dive in the full moon. Yup.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 17, 2013

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sogol, El probably has a club, so we don't need one.

Changing my F to E

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I O T

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I wonder if one of the spikes would make a decent tip for a spear to fish with.

Diogines: With our knowledge of fishing spears how would one or two of these spikes do as a tip instead of sharpened wood? If bound to the front of a stick kinda like one of these:

Second question, how many spikes do we have again? Would we have enough to make both our board with a nail in it and a spear?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Second question, how many spikes do we have again? Would we have enough to make both our board with a nail in it and a spear?

We don't have any boards handy, and even if we did, we don't have any aliens to fight anytime soon.

question to Diog: Or do we?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We're here to follow the heroes, and they must have known what they were doing. Maybe the altar, even unused, helps to spread El's influence.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
1)L
2)P by default, building L above
3)T

We've already got an OK beating stick, we can make a better weapon later. Shelter, shelter, shelter. Should be priority number 1 after the fishing spear.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

L. Shelter. We can be a little more comfortable, and if an animal comes it will take a moment longer to start biting us.

2. I am going to make camp at the edge of the treeline, at the top of the beach. Where are me and snarls sleeping tonight?
L for #1 above, since my time tonight is limited and I spend my time on this, instead.

3. At this point, how concerned are you about monsters getting you out here?
T. A bit. I know there really are monsters out here.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Diogines: With our knowledge of fishing spears how would one or two of these spikes do as a tip instead of sharpened wood? If bound to the front of a stick kinda like one of these:
The needles are rather light, it might unbalance the edge of a fishing spear, but you could try. You probably would not need them anyway. Over the last five years you have been reminded, sadly, many times that you don't know how to do things. You are an excellent spear fisher. If you can get a half straight stick and whittle it a bit, those bastard fish don't stand a chance!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Perhaps, but you do not have a board.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Voting:
1. L
2. N
3. T

We'll be here for a week or two, a little shelter could be an excellent help.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

2. Snarls nose and a fast pair of legs is our best defense.
3. We saw them ~ once a month with Tudiya, right? So we've already seen more than our share of monsters, but that's no reason to let down our guard.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

1. D, but look for G while doing so. But take the barbs from that Jackyl and stick them in the handmade staff in two small rows by each other on the end of the staff we make, along with one or two pointing outward on the tip of the staff if we can somehow manage to hammer them at a decent angle. The two rows, if needed and be used to stab and, when pulled back, cut and rake whatever we use it on hopefully.
2. N On the ground, with little shelter if we can where we can easily run if needed.
3. Q I ain't scared.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Your long suffering is finally, over.

Wait! Don't panic! It is over in a "things are looking up" kind of way, not in a "Asherah ate you while you slept" kind way.

You just spent two weeks thirsting, starving, baking and freezing.

Today, you spent the remainder of the day working on a fishing spear. It might not be pretty but after several failed starts you managed to work a stick into roughly the right shape and even if it not particularly aerodynamic, it would serve you well to get some fresh fish.

As the sun begins to set you work on your next project. When Heroes, Kings and Mighty Men set up a new place to live, the very first thing they do, before even seeking shelter is raise an altar to El. You find a series of heavy, flat stones and roll them on their edges together and then, stack them up. The work is tiring but as the sun sets, you finish. You kneel at thr altar and say a traditional, if brief prayer.

"Blessed are you, El, king of the word, who bless men with shelter, I raise up these stones in your name."

You rise, step back and look at the altar, admiring your work. It is crude, but you made it and it is all yours.

You feel a vague sense of calm pervade the area. Maybe it is because you have had enough to drink and bathed for the first time in a month and have finally reached your destination or perhaps it is for another reason? There is nothing obviously supernatural and what you feel now may very possibly be a sense of relief.

Snarls gives a happy bark.

You look for a tree with some wide sturdy branches and after a little searching find one you hope is wide enough you won't fall out of. Helping Snarls, the two of you climb. You spread yourself out on a large limb, Snarls beside you and pull him close as the last rays of the sun disappear.

You close your eyes and hear Snarls yawn, then feel a slobbery tongue o your cheek.

Love

You scratch Snarls behind the ears and then the two of you, go to sleep.

You realize by dawn that by sleeping in a tree you deprived yourself of the warmth of a fire. It is warmer at night here than it was in the scrubland but it is still cold the night was highly unpleasant. While you dont have hypothermia, you probably dont want to keep sleeping in a tree, unless you are concerned for your safety. You built a small fire for your torch and luckily, it is still burning.

1. Do you keep sleeping in a tree?
A. I want to be safe. I keep sleeping in a tree.
B. I want to not freeze. I sleep on the ground, near a fire.
C. On the ground and I spent time to build a lean to. It will take time away from other things but make me more comfortable and keep me drier if it rains.

Time passes.

2. You tried to make or find a weapon. What was it?

C. I did not. I hung onto my two foot long club with jackal spikes.
D. I looked for a big branch I can use as a club.
E. ...and I lash a rock on one end to make a maul. This will take a little extra time.
F. ...and I put the jackal spikes on it, not a rock.
G. I know how to use a staff. I trained with one for a while at the Temple of the Melachim. I find a good staff like stick and whittle it down.
H. The medium spear is about 6ish feet long and the traditional weapon of Labaras himself! It is going to take me a LOT of time to make one and a stone spearpoint, but I spend the time needed. Tudiya will be so proud if he sees I come home with one!
I. A short spear with a shorter reach but can be used with more agility, it will take only slightly less time to make.
J. I honestly have no idea how to make a bow, but, I try. This is going to take a lot of time.
K. Another weapon, fill in. Diog can give input on the feasibility of my idea.

You caught a large bass that first morning on the beach the first truly fresh meal in... too long.

3. Did you make an offering to El?
L. No.
M. Yes.
N. Yes. The tastiest part of the fish.
O. Yes, the whole fish. I went back to get my own food, after.

After searching the beach, you find a pearl bed, but it is small. The creatures seem to be scarcer here than in Athar, there is sea life, but not even a fourth of the ridiculously teeming shore which Athar sat upon. You need to decide how much time you plan to spend out here and there are tasks to do each day.

4. What is your daily schedule like? You have 16 waking hours to work with each day. Spread the hours out accordingly.
P. Finding food. 2 hours fishing a day will keep me from starving, 3 will keep me fed and 4 will keep me fed, comfortably and Snarls too of course.

Q. Finding pearls. The more time I spend, the more I hope to find.

R. Making and maintaining my tools and my shelter, if I made one. My tools are primitive and I'll have to take care of them and sometimes remake them.

S. I could probably make Indor VERY happy if I brought her some sea snails and other stuff Shushem used. Do I spend time looking?

T. I might find something interesting if I explore the forest. Or I might just waste my time.

U. Or I could explore up and down the beach further.

V. And Snarls likes to play! Do I find time to play with him?

W. Extra time spent working on a weapon if I want one more complicated than a branch club.

X. The various religious practices and minor rituals I know that men of Zepath are supposed to do for El when they are out and about, they would take about an hour a day, spread out over the course of the day.

Y. I made time for other things in my schedule. Fill in.

Vote in whatever format you like but it might go:
A-3
B-5
D-... and so on, skipping tasks you spend no time on, if you want to.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 17, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1. C
2. F
3. N
4. P - 4, Q - 7, R - 3, W - 1, X - 1

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 17, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. B
2. C
3. O
4. P=3, Q=10, R=1, V=1, X=1

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1B.

2F. ...and I put the jackal spikes on it, not a rock.

3N. Yes. The tastiest part of the fish.

P4

Q8.
Let's become the richest slave in all of Zepath.

R1.

V1.

W1.

X1.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Diog you have 2 C's (1.C and 2.C)

1. C
2. F Club with spikes
3. N El watch over us so the giant lizard doesn't eat us in our sleep kthx.
[b]4. P - 4, Q - 4, R - 1, T - 2, U - 2, V - 1, W - 1, X - 1,

Save Target As fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 17, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1 C

2 F. We don't want to waste time, this is easy to make and is effective. loving around with a bow or spear is a WASTE. Especially the bow. Where do you make arrows? Fletching? gently caress that. gently caress the spear too. We're living in the wild, no time for niceties.

3 N. First sacrifice on a new alter. Give him the best cut.

4. 4P 4Q 2R 2U 1V 1X 2T

4P, keeps us well fed, this is important for survival and health in general.
4Q, more pearls, we can get home faster.
2R, work on safety and comfort.
2U, take some time off working to explore the beach for fun.
1V, Dogs just wanna have fun
1X, give the magic god some courtesy
2T exploring is good

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 17, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I kinda wanted to get our bow training to factor in on this, but it really isn't worth it. Editing my vote...

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Save Target As posted:

Diog you have 2 C's (1.C and 2.C)

I am aware. I saw it seconds after the first response went up, so we will leave it as is.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

1.C
2.F
3.M

P-4 Keep well fed
Q-4 Get pearls
R-2 A stick and lean-to are easy enough. Maybe we can get a drinking-vessel, too
S-2 Find those snails

Then explore and play
T-1
U-1
V-1
X-1

Partly, I want snails to bring them back. But I'm also mildly worried about this:

Diogines posted:

After searching the beach, you find a pearl bed, but it is small. The creatures seem to be scarcer here than in Athar, there is sea life, but not even a fourth of the ridiculously teeming shore which Athar sat upon. You need to decide how much time you plan to spend out here and there are tasks to do each day.

We can't be that far from Athar. Maybe the climate is different here. Or maybe stuff's getting eaten by a gigantic hungry fish. Let's use some snails to pay off the hungering-fish, just in case.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Not gonna vote just yet, but had a thought.

What if the reason the seas around Athar were rich was because the fish learned to feast on the leftovers of their regular cannibal rituals? Presumably not everything gets eaten. Perhaps every time we ate fish in Athar, we were eating some part of people we used to know!

But seriously, though, some kind of fuckery involved Asherah seems more likely one way or another. Come to think of it, maybe part of the cannibalism ritual was to offer part of the flesh to Asherah, which would have the side effect of allowing more fish to survive in the area since he was sated enough not to eat as much of them as he normally would.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. C
2. E
3. N - I think this will score more points. It's one thing to sacrifice a whole fish when we can just grab another one fairly easily. It's another thing to deny ourselves the tastiest part of the fish.
P - 4
R - 1. A little maintenance every day will make sure we don't need to do A LOT of maintenance later.
V - 3
T - 2
U - 3
W - 2
X - 1

see below

the_steve fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 17, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

1 C

2 F.

3 N.

4. 4P 8Q 3R 1X

I'd like to spend more time exploring and being with Snarls, but really, we can do that when we're properly equipped - say, with a bow and supplies and all the time in the world. For now, make shelter, consecrate our altar with delicious fish-bits, get a proper Nailbat From Hell*, and gather those pearls so we can get back home.

*I think it's vanishingly unlikely we'll get back to Zepath without meeting another monster, and if we do, this is what I want to put in its face:

UppaTree fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 17, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. Do you keep sleeping in a tree?
C. On the ground and I spent time to build a lean to. It will take time away from other things but make me more comfortable and keep me drier if it rains.

2. You tried to make or find a weapon. What was it?

C. I did not. I hung onto my two foot long club with jackal spikes.

3. Did you make an offering to El?
N. Yes. The tastiest part of the fish.

4. What is your daily schedule like? You have 16 waking hours to work with each day. Spread the hours out accordingly.
P. 4

Q. 6.5

R. 1

T. 2

U. 1

V. .5

X. 1

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

Q8.
Let's become the richest slave in all of Zepath.

I am sympathetic to the fact there is a lot of information in the game to keep track of. I am NOT suggesting how anyone vote but I would like to point out a few facts that you, Enkidel know for sure and may be relevant here:

* Zepath may only be two weeks from the sea but no one EVER goes there. It may as well be on the moon.

* Pearls are highly valuable.

* Slaves own their own property, not their masters. Anything you return with is yours.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
edit: vvvv bwahahaha, Canuck's has more features let's stick with his! :)

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 17, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spreadsheet updated.

e:f,b

Note: UppaTree, you shorted yourself 4 hours on 4.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 17, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You are far from Athar.

I kept pushing it back a map but I do should.

The outer edge of the forest Athar is in is two weeks south and from there TWO MONTHS to Athar.

The climate is different as well as the plants and animals.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 17, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
1. C
2. F (and on fire, of course.)
3. N (It seemed to do wonders last time...)

P = 4 (So hungry)
Q = 6
R = 2
U = 1
V = 1
W = 1
X = 1

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Editing my votes for #4
P - 3. We need to eat, best not to spoil ourselves though, in case we have a hungry walk home.
R - 1. A little maintenance every day will make sure we don't need to do A LOT of maintenance later.
V - 2 - gently caress yes, quality time with our best friend.
T - 2 - Exploring is fun.
U - 3 - See T
W - 2 - If nothing else, it's good practice.
X - 1 - May as well hedge our bets.
Y - 2 hours a day to physical training/conditioning.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1 - B
2 - F
3 - O, sacrifice the fish by eating it all, then taking a dump in the ocean, claiming it in Els name for as far as it floats.

4; P - 3, keep feed, not so much that we get too comfortable though
Q - 7
S - 2, we want to learn magic don't we?
T - 1, U - 2, so we can find other cool stuff
V - 1, obviously

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 17, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

Spreadsheet updated.

e:f,b

Note: UppaTree, you shorted yourself 4 hours on 4.

Throw four hours at pearl diving, then.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. C Let's not tempt our heroic immune system. I'd rather not be weeks from Zepath with strep because we decided to sleep out in the rain. :saddowns:

2. C Our club is badass. Why mess with perfection?

3. O I'm not convinced El is Alpha Omega, but whatever he is he seems to dig offerings, so...

P. 4 We may have trouble getting food later on. Go ahead and try to put on a few pounds while we can.

Q. 6 Pearls. And coral or expensive looking shells if we see any

R. 2 Gotta take care of your poo poo.

U. 2 There might be better pearl beds, shells, or coral around

V. 1 Who's a good boy?!

X. 1

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
1. C
2. G
3. N
4. P 4
Q 4
R 4
S 1
U 1
V 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
1)C - build a little lean-to if we're going to be here a bit. We've had a tough month, let's recover.

2)F - Giant branch with jackal spikes. It was our first monster kill. Club/Bow combo is perfect because a club is a very simple weapon and many things can be fashioned into a club, which counter-balances the intricacies of the bow.

3)M

4)
P - 4 - We probably lost a bit of mass, let's regain it for any future hardships.
Q - 6
R - 2
S - 2
U - 1
V - 1

Edit: Also, as I mentioned in '2', Tudiya subscribes to this theory of combat as well, fashioning clubs out of monster limbs and so forth :P

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 17, 2013