Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

odark thirty posted:

use a wavelet model to simulate light interference through a slit or grating. output to a file and make pretty pictures with gnuplot, or have a realtime output maybe with adjustable parameters.

model various things rolling down ramps or along tracks under the influence of gravity. take into account friction and angular momentum. model some rollercoasters and calculate if a human could survive them

make a pendulum simulator, then make a pendulum on earth simulator taking coriolis and centripetal forces into account.

i like these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do i write shaders?
where do people learn this poo poo?

my only encounter with shaders has been via unity, but it was pretty pleasant. what's nice is you can pick out the aspects of the graphics rendering process you want to script yourself, and manipulate the rest of it through an idiotproof GUI.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the last time i touched opengl HW T&L wasn't a thing yet

how do i write shaders?

There are a few tutorials on the opengl site:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutorials/

If you already used opengl before shaders existed, I think this one might be nice as it starts by hilighting the differences between the old fixed pipeline and the programmable one:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutorials/TyphoonLabs/

it doesnt go into more recent features such as geometry shaders and tesselation shaders but you can find more documentation for those elsewhere

btw the opengl spec itself has been rewritten and actually makes for a pretty readable documentation:
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/

something you need to know with modern opengl is that it comes in two flavors: the compatibility profile that retains most of the opengl api going back to 1.0, which still includes the old predefined rendering piepeline where you can render and light things without having to use shaders (but you can still mix and match it with shaders)

and the core profile where everything that doesn't reflect how modern hardware actually works have been removed so things are a bit more low level. even to render a simple solid colored triangle you need to create shaders and vertex/index buffers

for learning purposes i'd go with the compatibility profile

most of the work involved with shaders is to setup all the data (textures, vertex buffers, and parameters (called "uniforms")) that they will need. the shader itself is usually the fun part where you get to perform the actual magic of deciding what color each pixel should be (or to decide the position and other attributes that each vertex should have in screen space for this frame in the case of a vertex shader)

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I've started more than one project, sometimes I even initialize an empty git repository and leave it forever

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

echinopsis posted:

i try something for a fminute, get hell demotivated becvause im terrible at eveyrthing then mast again

failure is good for you, go out and fail.

sorry about your upbringing in the modern education system

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
do you want a link to my soundcloud of my failures in ableton live

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the last time i touched opengl HW T&L wasn't a thing yet

how do i write shaders?

http://arcsynthesis.org/gltut/
http://open.gl/

glhf, although if you try and program opengl on a linux you might find your open source driver only supports 3.1 or something ancient, like I did :(

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

protip use GLFW for windowing and input so you don't spend 10 years trying to open a window with a context

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

um didn't u hear? they're shutting down games live for windows

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zlodo posted:

There are a few tutorials on the opengl site:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutorials/

If you already used opengl before shaders existed, I think this one might be nice as it starts by hilighting the differences between the old fixed pipeline and the programmable one:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutorials/TyphoonLabs/

it doesnt go into more recent features such as geometry shaders and tesselation shaders but you can find more documentation for those elsewhere

btw the opengl spec itself has been rewritten and actually makes for a pretty readable documentation:
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/

something you need to know with modern opengl is that it comes in two flavors: the compatibility profile that retains most of the opengl api going back to 1.0, which still includes the old predefined rendering piepeline where you can render and light things without having to use shaders (but you can still mix and match it with shaders)

and the core profile where everything that doesn't reflect how modern hardware actually works have been removed so things are a bit more low level. even to render a simple solid colored triangle you need to create shaders and vertex/index buffers

for learning purposes i'd go with the compatibility profile

most of the work involved with shaders is to setup all the data (textures, vertex buffers, and parameters (called "uniforms")) that they will need. the shader itself is usually the fun part where you get to perform the actual magic of deciding what color each pixel should be (or to decide the position and other attributes that each vertex should have in screen space for this frame in the case of a vertex shader)

dont use compat profile use opengl es on ur phone

fixed function pipeline is old and sucks and doesnt work in es so if u want cool pixels on iphone suck it up and use es

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

dont use compat profile use opengl es on ur phone

fixed function pipeline is old and sucks and doesnt work in es so if u want cool pixels on iphone suck it up and use es

im not very familiar with es but doesn't es 1.0 actually only implement the fixed pipeline and shaders were only introduced in es 2.0?

also if someone asks me "i want to learn shaders" id rather tell them to ease into it by using the compat profile (even by doing inefficient things) than directly use the core profile.

if you do go for using only the core profile you better get yourself a good opengl debugger like gDebugger (http://www.gremedy.com/) bc otherwise you won't be having much fun to track down whatever youve setup wrong that prevents anything from actually rendering

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

im not very familiar with es but doesn't es 1.0 actually only implement the fixed pipeline and shaders were only introduced in es 2.0?

yes, es 1.0 is fixed-function only. es 2.0 is shaders only.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
i've been building a vidcon p.much from scratch in java+lwjgl

you fart around in space and assemble poo poo out of geometric solids

i thought of it after i spergbinged on minecraft for like two weeks and went "okay but what if you had a construction game in free fall and could build in all directions"
"and what if instead of fetishising cubes and pixels it looked like starblade"

turns out i have to write my own rigid body physics engine now though because Bullet freaks out at the kind of geometry i'm throwing at it

prolly going to end up porting to c++ too because :pcgaming:performance:pcgaming: & i'm going to be simulating structures that get into the km scale

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

NICE!

which rigid body alg did you implement?

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

coffeetable posted:

NICE!

which rigid body alg did you implement?

i haven't even started on that yet, i suddenly had freelance poo poo to do and was like "holy poo poo i simultaneously have to learn ios + anroid + web dev basically from scratch" and got real burned out on being alive basically

looks like i'm kicking those projects out the door in the next week or so tho, gonna hit the books

i need to be able to support collisions between relatively small numbers of complex objects, which going by all the "cascades of so many primitives it looks like they're splashing water whooooaaa" demos is the opposite of what every physics engine out there is optimised for

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can you please add some antialiasing and a glow and flicker shader? every time i see something done with vector graphics i neeeeeeed to see that

not world's best example but

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i have a project thats gone java->c++->java->clojure. i have trouble remembering what i was going to do after the yak shaving is done

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i haven't even started on that yet, i suddenly had freelance poo poo to do and was like "holy poo poo i simultaneously have to learn ios + anroid + web dev basically from scratch" and got real burned out on being alive basically

looks like i'm kicking those projects out the door in the next week or so tho, gonna hit the books

i need to be able to support collisions between relatively small numbers of complex objects, which going by all the "cascades of so many primitives it looks like they're splashing water whooooaaa" demos is the opposite of what every physics engine out there is optimised for

physics is well understood for uniformly dense spheres in a vacuum. the further u get from that the worse it is

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i have a project thats gone java->c++->java->clojure. i have trouble remembering what i was going to do after the yak shaving is done

physics is well understood for uniformly dense spheres in a vacuum. the further u get from that the worse it is

i really don't want to port until it's absolutely unquestionable that it's the only way to get the performance i need, for now i can probably get a few hundred percent by not having the dumbest possible render pipeline

bullet gave me pretty good behaviour and performance as far as it actually worked, so i think the math for what i want to do is there, it was just that once my compound objects got to more than a few dozen cells it started losing track of where chunks of them were

that might still have been my engine loving up and losing sync between the collision model and the render model tho

Sagebrush posted:

can you please add some antialiasing and a glow and flicker shader? every time i see something done with vector graphics i neeeeeeed to see that

not world's best example but

it's all compatibility profile right now (see above re: dumbest possible) but once i get my hands shadery i'm gonna go hog wild throwing poo poo at the wall so yeah gonna happen

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

yeah bloom the gently caress out of that vidcon

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

he's dealing with completely rigid bodies so everything can be simplified down to centers of mass and moments around them. if there're aren't many objects, it can't be *that* bad surely :v:. hard part will be collision detection cause the bodies are distinctly non-convex. usagi, this kind of thing what you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrCwyXXZ7E

paper's here and they reference this paper and this paper vis a vis non-convex collision detection. also cites the Handbook of Computational Geometry as the best survey, but i can't find a non-:filez: version of that

i might be goin a lil' ott though, something simpler would probs suffice first

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 18, 2013

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

coffeetable posted:

he's dealing with completely rigid bodies so everything can be simplified down to centers of mass and moments around them. if there're aren't many objects, it can't be *that* bad surely :v:. hard part will be collision detection cause the bodies are distinctly non-convex. usagi, this kind of thing what you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrCwyXXZ7E

paper's here and they reference this paper and this paper vis a vis non-convex collision detection. also cites the Handbook of Computational Geometry as the best survey, but i can't find a non-:filez: version of that

i might be goin a lil' ott though, something simpler would probs suffice first

those look like exactly the kind of thing i need, even if they're overkill for now they're going to stay in the reading list because i'm thinking about structures way down the line measuring thousands of cells across -> millions of surface polygons (broken up into an octree or something for LOD and collision purposes)

way later on i'd also like the engine to be able to do some kind of stress analysis, like determine that an object with two huge strong masses connected by a flimsy bridge is going to fracture at that point, because right now my planned model for object destruction is localised to the point of impact and should result in neat craters but not amazing catastrophic failures

i want structures that can tear themselves apart if you spin them fast enough &c. but i'm worried that's just going to be more than a desktop pc can handle real time this decade

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i've been building a vidcon p.much from scratch in java+lwjgl

you fart around in space and assemble poo poo out of geometric solids

i thought of it after i spergbinged on minecraft for like two weeks and went "okay but what if you had a construction game in free fall and could build in all directions"
"and what if instead of fetishising cubes and pixels it looked like starblade"

turns out i have to write my own rigid body physics engine now though because Bullet freaks out at the kind of geometry i'm throwing at it

prolly going to end up porting to c++ too because :pcgaming:performance:pcgaming: & i'm going to be simulating structures that get into the km scale

TAKE MY MONU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the source is selling litehawk aero's for $60, gonna get one and put a keyfob camera on it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

the source is selling litehawk aero's for $60, gonna get one and put a keyfob camera on it

attache yarn to the skids, fly over catte

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dr. Honked posted:

you'll chop ur head off!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so this is culmination of preobaly a year or more of lots of fuckings round in ableton and trying to find a sound i really liked
its probably the first complete musical anything ive ever been content* with in my life, ever since i started playing guitar when i was 14
id appreciate some honest constructive criticism if you are down. i know this is yospos so im expecting nthing but the opposite
https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/shaumber
excuse the hosed up long end tail of nothing bu noise i cant even export

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I have a bunch of friends that brew beer (including one that's actually gone microbrew and opened a legit brewery). . . We're beginning to considering building gazebos in our backyards to grow hops on.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

so this is culmination of preobaly a year or more of lots of fuckings round in ableton and trying to find a sound i really liked
its probably the first complete musical anything ive ever been content* with in my life, ever since i started playing guitar when i was 14
id appreciate some honest constructive criticism if you are down. i know this is yospos so im expecting nthing but the opposite

good music to get murdered to

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
http://fartgeist.com is still up somehow

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
oh yeah i guess im supposed to make an api for my twitter screen capping shits. sorry whoever that dude on twitter was i completely forgot

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

opened it for ten seconds, saw 4 dicks

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

echinopsis posted:

i like ur mud boobs

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

ol qwerty bastard posted:

opened it for ten seconds, saw 4 dicks

Such is the fartgeist

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ban for anime

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

good music to get murdered to

yeah maybe i should see how it pans out

peepsalot posted:

i like ur mud boobs

totally the best part i know

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i've been trying to desolder some chips and led dot matrix displays and poo poo from a bunch of circuit boards. i think they were spare parts for a skeeball machine or something. they have these awesome led driver chips but they are 40 pins ughh and also whoever manufactured the boards had the extremely bright idea of bending some of the pins over to keep the chips in while they were soldered. barf

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

yeah maybe i should see how it pans out

in case my comment wasn't clear, i meant i liked it and it's creepy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

in case my comment wasn't clear, i meant i liked it and it's creepy

thanks
i was pretty intox last night when i put it up and looking back its totally unpolished but its amazing i got that far with anything before giving up tbh
but thanks means a lot
its also designed for subwoofers coz i am achilde

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

thanks
i was pretty intox last night when i put it up and looking back its totally unpolished but its amazing i got that far with anything before giving up tbh
but thanks means a lot
its also designed for subwoofers coz i am achilde

good stuff

you ever listen to the caretaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i think your choons would be better if you took some more risks with your compositions and maybe alienated some people with bland tastes