Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
I finally have one!

This one's not so much a failure but a failure waiting to happen.

This is the pedal cluster bracket from my Porsche 944 Turbo.

Not only is it split in two places, it was held in by about half the number of bolts it was supposed to have.

Thanks PO, just another one of your fuckups!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JayKay posted:

Ever wondered what would happen if you sent a tire off a ski jump? Well this was a recommended link off that video.
Thanks to that video I learned that the Japanese phrase for "sports car" is pronounced "sports car", and that a truck tire costs ¥380,000.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

If I owned an alignment shop, I'd do this on purpose :)

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Why is this 4 runner misfiring?

That might explain it. The mighty Bosch Platinum +0/.

Don't run Bosch plugs in a 4Runner. At least with mine, it runs like dog poo poo with anything but OEM NGK/Denso twin-tip plugs. The 5VZ is really picky about plugs and wires, for some reason.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Don't run them in a Subaru, either (for that matter, only use NGK in a Subaru). Anyway, I didn't know better, and this happened within about 2 weeks.

gently caress Bosch plugs, they seem to suck in everything...

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

The Midniter posted:

When I was around 13, I was walking from a video rental store that my dad dropped me off at to the CVS he was at across the street. An 18-wheeler took a right turn too sharply and squeezed one of the tires against the sharp curb, and the tire proceeded to explode. This was about 50 feet in front of me, and not only was it the loudest thing I'd ever heard in my entire life, but it propelled sand and dirt right into my eyes. I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack that day.

I was working at a bulk storage terminal (where the tankers get gas) and when I was up by the road, a passing tanker blew out a tire. I hit the deck and expected to be blown to bits in the next nanosecond. When you hear an explosion and you are surrounded by 500k-1mil gallon gasoline tanks, your life does indeed flash before your eyes.

Apologies for the double post, I had some catching up to do with this thread.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think my turbo qualifies for this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtfmlQiMd_E

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bandman posted:

Don't run Bosch plugs in a 4Runner anything

Fixed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, I had a Bosch plug in my Enfield. Wait...it was like six Bosch plugs, because they kept fouling or breaking. Now I have an NGK B8ES and it has been fine for over a year (3-4 Bosch equivalents).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I am dumbfounded that Bosch still exists as a company. Every experience with a Bosch product (both electrical car components as well as non-electric parts) has ended with my throwing up my hands and vowing to never buy Bosch again.

It all started with a vw coilpack.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Hilariously my old Sachs Dolmar chainsaw has a Bosch plug in it and its been in there for drat near 20 years- Still running the original plug and its so old it still says "Made in West Germany" on it!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have literally never had a problem with a Bosch O2 sensor, fuel pump, or airbag controller. My vehicles don't use any Bosch sensors that I'm aware of though (aside from the O2s.)

Hell the fuel pump in my 91 is now over 250k miles, and still going strong. I bought a brand new fuel pump for it when I swapped the tank and sender, then realized it was an Airtex and decided I'd rather trust the 230k stock fuel pump than one of those. It was the right decision... I didn't even replace the sock, just left it on the pump, because the one autozone gave me was nowhere near fitting properly.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I am dumbfounded that Bosch still exists as a company. Every experience with a Bosch product (both electrical car components as well as non-electric parts) has ended with my throwing up my hands and vowing to never buy Bosch again.

Their dishwashers are decent :)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

xp67 posted:

If I owned an alignment shop, I'd do this on purpose :)

If Motronic was in the neighbourhood it would drive them insane.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Farking Bastage posted:

Their dishwashers are decent :)

I'm reasonably satisfied with their electric drills, as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've never had a problem with Bosch sensors (barring swap-meet CIS-E poo poo) or fuel pumps. I really like their wiper blades too.

NGK plugs are all I run though. I'm only dimly aware that other brands even exist. The best part about NGKs is buying them for an old Japanese car, getting NOS left over at the warehouse and thus having the retro 70s packaging on some of them. :3:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

NGK plugs are all I run though. I'm only dimly aware that other brands even exist. The best part about NGKs is buying them for an old Japanese car, getting NOS left over at the warehouse and thus having the retro 70s packaging on some of them. :3:

Retro 70s packaging? Do you mean the yellow boxes? Because those are, hilariously, definitely still current packaging.

And when it comes to broken spark plugs, it's really the center electrode breaking off that ends up causing damage. The ground electrodes are small enough that they can make it past the valves. The center electrode, though, tends to cause problems if it goes, as it's a much bigger piece. That said, the center electrode doesn't break off unless there's already something seriously wrong with the engine and/or calibration.

The only time you'd ever want to run Bosch +4s is if you cannot get your car to stop fouling AND going to a hotter heat range will cause pre-ignition.

Someone mentioned NGK and Denso "Twin tip" plugs. From what I've seen, then Denso plugs basically form the ground electrode "tip" by punching the ground electrode material. NGK plugs have a platinum pin (kind of like the one on the center electrode, though that material is an iridium alloy) welded onto the ground electrode, which is better for durability. Depending on the engine, the wear on the ground electrode can be pretty severe, and especially in those designs, as the tips have smaller surface areas and thus more gap growth.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My VW came from the factory with Bosch "super 4" plugs and only ran properly on them to fart out 50 blisterng horsepower, but every other car gets NGK spark or glow plugs and I'll swear by them all day every day. The retro packaging is adorable. :3:

I've never had a problem with Bosch either, but I'm too young to ever have touched a K-Jetronic system. My whole car's engine management is Bosch parts, you've got me worried now. :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've never had any major issues with a single Bosch component, and I run both their turbodiesel parts (injection pumps, sensors, injectors, etc.) and their gas parts (CIS Fuel Injection, etc.)

I do run NGK spark plugs though.

Bosch is on the forefront of a lot of technologies, so honestly you are being a little unfair.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't even know where the failure is here, suspecting a fuel filter, but I know carb needles should _prrrrrrrrrobably_ not look like this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bandman posted:

I was working at a bulk storage terminal (where the tankers get gas) and when I was up by the road, a passing tanker blew out a tire. I hit the deck and expected to be blown to bits in the next nanosecond. When you hear an explosion and you are surrounded by 500k-1mil gallon gasoline tanks, your life does indeed flash before your eyes.

I'm driving from Durham to Philly, it's about 3:00am, I'm passing an 18-wheeler on I-95. He has a blowout just as I'm passing that particular tire.

I swore someone just fired a gun at me. When I looked over and saw the sparks I started to calm down but it still took about 30 minutes for the adrenaline to wear off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I've never had any major issues with a single Bosch component, and I run both their turbodiesel parts (injection pumps, sensors, injectors, etc.) and their gas parts (CIS Fuel Injection, etc.)

I do run NGK spark plugs though.

Bosch is on the forefront of a lot of technologies, so honestly you are being a little unfair.

I can understand where the frustration comes from though. My 2 largest experiences with bosch parts are the VP44 injection pump out of the 24v cummins, a $1,100 part that only lasts 100k kms, and the MAF in my BMW which with a BMW part number is $600, with a VW part number is $170, when the parts are the same down to the plug.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

I have a camera with LEDs that plugs into a laptop that would fit through that hole. I think i paid $40, it's a seriously good investment.

I have this same one. Do not discount the usefulness of this cheap device. Not every person wants to buy a professional tool. It has a long USB cable

I have used mine to look:

inside combustion chambers of engines with large enough spark plug holes

at the top of pistons in engines with spark plug holes too small

for an obstruction in a household heating system

to inspect a chimney

deep into an inner fenderwell attached to a magnetic tool to retrieve a lost tool

into a bathroom sink roof vent (it is water resistant)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

This is currently in the middle of the road blocking traffic outside my apartment.... :v:
There is nobody in it, it's just sitting there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's a VW product working as intended. What's the big surprise? :v:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's a VW product working as intended. What's the big surprise? :v:

Hey now.. Don't be sayin thing like that about VW's..

its not on fire

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 18, 2013

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

So the dude came back in a cop car with a can of gas. Filled it up and drove off. In the last two months there's been a 30's ford coupe, jetta, full size chevy truck, and that. Run out of gas in the exact same spot. Although most of them make it into the parking area in front of the apartment building rather than just stopping in the middle of the road...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Veeb0rg posted:

Hey now.. Don't be sayin thing like that about VW's..

its not on fire

No, car fires belong to Ford and Lamborghini, you can't beat em.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

CommieGIR posted:

No, car fires belong to Ford and Lamborghini, you can't beat em.

Aircooled VW's had quite the reputation of catching fire. The brass fitting would work loose on the carb and start spraying raw fuel all over the engine/exhaust.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm reasonably satisfied with [Bosch] electric drills, as well.

We had a Milwakee cordless drill at work. I don't know how old it was, but since it was there when I got hired it had to be at least 12 years old when someone decided they needed it better at home, never had any problems with it (except that it was heavy enough to euthanize cows with). Since then we have to get a new one every year since the Bosch we get now breaks like clockwork. And they're all those "professional blue power tools" too.

Oops.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Veeb0rg posted:

Aircooled VW's had quite the reputation of catching fire. The brass fitting would work loose on the carb and start spraying raw fuel all over the engine/exhaust.

Isn't there a bit of magnesium in the engine bay as well? That likes to burn.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

rscott posted:

If you actually create a fire hot enough to ignite magnesium the magnesium is the least of your worries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rscott posted:

Everything else would have burned by the time the magnesium ignites. It takes a lot of heat to light large chunks of magnesium.

e:fb

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Haha yeah, either the engine blocks, heads, or both are made of a magnesium alloy.

At the last VW meetup/campout I attended, a guy caused a bunch of drama by throwing old VW engine blocks into the campfire. Magnesium burns white hot and neither water or CO2 will put it out, and gives off UV radiation while doing so. (Mg actually burns better in CO2, while water will flash to steam and fling metal everywhere in the process) The organizers were pretty pissed and called a fire truck to the campground, although honestly there's not much you can do besides watch it burn (behind sunglasses) and keep people away.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

We had a Milwakee cordless drill at work. I don't know how old it was, but since it was there when I got hired it had to be at least 12 years old when someone decided they needed it better at home, never had any problems with it (except that it was heavy enough to euthanize cows with). Since then we have to get a new one every year since the Bosch we get now breaks like clockwork. And they're all those "professional blue power tools" too.

Oops.

Chevy NP241C? Not entirely sure but it certainly looks like it. Either that or a '94 and later Dodge fullsize case, but I believe the front output yoke is different on those.

Never seen that particular failure but I'm betting on a shoddy SAS, front driveshaft didn't have enough slip joint and suspension fully compressed and shattered the case?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

If you actually create a fire hot enough to ignite magnesium the magnesium is the least of your worries.

In cars, yes. But sometimes the wrong people decide to use a bit too much magnesium in their barbecue burner alloys, and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4ucQCjNvU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

chrisgt posted:

This is currently in the middle of the road blocking traffic outside my apartment.... :v:
There is nobody in it, it's just sitting there.

As the Vanagon Goon, I have to say "that happens". It's air cooled (no lower rad grille) so it's not the miserable wasserboxer blowing up.

I've done that exact traffic blocking thing with the blue 84 that I had, except it was Highway 51 in Millington, and on Union Ave in Memphis.

Regarding the subject of Fire - on a van there's a little plastic fuel coupler that is held to the firewall with bolts and is terrible to break and puke fuel all over the engine resulting in your van burning down.

This plastic piece of garbage couples the fuel lines in the engine compartment to the line leading up to the tank. When the hose busts off the end of it it's angled to shoot pressurized fuel right at the exhaust. This one piece has resulted in more fires than anything else.

You can see this thing in the photo on the wasserboxer wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserboxer

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 18, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Chevy NP241C? Not entirely sure but it certainly looks like it. Either that or a '94 and later Dodge fullsize case, but I believe the front output yoke is different on those.

Never seen that particular failure but I'm betting on a shoddy SAS, front driveshaft didn't have enough slip joint and suspension fully compressed and shattered the case?

You are correct. Running a 241 with 46s. Too much heavy poo poo causing spring compression to essentially make the driveshaft too long (compressed most of the way). Hit a big bump, tires actually came of the ground, shoving the shaft back into the TC. Something had to give and the cast aluminum half of the TC was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Mine's green, corded, cost $35 and has taken everything I've thrown at it so far.

It's probably all plastic gears inside, so it will break someday, I guess. Though from the nose it makes, it does sound like metal gears, so I dunno.