Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Is this the place to talk about the new Sleigh Bells album? Because apparently it came out two weeks ago and no one told me.

And now that I've listened to it... I have no idea how to feel. It's super poppy... but not quite in the good way I'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The single popped up on my google all access and wasn't feeling that, but i'll give the album a shot (Because they're fun live and thats all that matters).

Now this new cults album :allears:

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
I saw Half Moon Run last night (still amazing live, go see them), and was really taken by the band opening for them, MisterWives.

They're releasing an album at the end of the month, but they've got some of their music up here:

http://misterwives.com/music-2/

"Kings and Queens" is the song that grabbed my attention last night, but the entire set was really solid.

Serisothikos fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 16, 2013

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

incoherent posted:

The single popped up on my google all access and wasn't feeling that, but i'll give the album a shot (Because they're fun live and thats all that matters).

Now this new cults album :allears:

Cults debut album was a stone cold classic, this one is really good but doesn't nearly hit me the same way.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I've been listening to Lucius pretty obsessively ever since I saw their Tiny Desk Concert about nine months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pk_2dVPjms

Two ladies with almost identical voices singing great songs with ridiculously good hooks. Their first album just came out yesterday, and it's fantastic. Far more dirty, distorted, and reverbed-out than their live performances, but that just makes me like it more. You can hear the whole thing on NPR's First Listen, and a video for the first single is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmck8zg4_OY

:swoon:

Now if they'd only come to Australia.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 16, 2013

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Is this the place to talk about the new Sleigh Bells album? Because apparently it came out two weeks ago and no one told me.

And now that I've listened to it... I have no idea how to feel. It's super poppy... but not quite in the good way I'd expect.

This is exactly how I felt about it, particularly with 'Young Legends' -- it's really catchy, but it reminds me of something I'd have heard on the radio in the late 80s or early 90s. It doesn't have that overly powerful sound that came with so many of their other songs. No edge.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I literally had no idea Sleigh Bells had a new album out. Excellent.

I'm terrible at recommending stuff but if you like dark electro synth stuff give Gentlemen by LA Girlfriend a spin. Single of the year for me.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

"Bitter Rivals" is a loving obnoxious song. Late 90s rap rock is back :suicide:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
If anyone is interested Cat Power is doing a small tour of eastern United States in the upcoming month.

I don't know about else hwere, but here, she's playing in a little church for some reason, which is just :allears:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I could never hear another Sleigh Bells song ever again and be totally happy. All of their stuff sounds like a woman singing in her car during a traffic jam in the middle of a construction zone by the airport.

This however...

Trig Discipline posted:

I've been listening to Lucius pretty obsessively ever since I saw their Tiny Desk Concert about nine months ago

Is fantastic, thanks dude/brosahphine! I'll go enjoy them for the both of us on Oct. 29th when they come my way.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Texibus posted:

I could never hear another Sleigh Bells song ever again and be totally happy. All of their stuff sounds like a woman singing in her car during a traffic jam in the middle of a construction zone by the airport.

Wait, this is a bad thing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I really hated Sleigh Bells' abrasive sound at first, but once I came around to it, I really came around to it. Once it clicked for me, I absolutely loved it. Though I can still understand why people don't like it.

I still have yet to hear their new album.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I really hated Sleigh Bells' abrasive sound at first, but once I came around to it, I really came around to it. Once it clicked for me, I absolutely loved it. Though I can still understand why people don't like it.

I still have yet to hear their new album.

Exactly the same situation. I didn't go crazy for it but if I had a vagina and was between the ages of 12-22 I probably would've thought it was the second coming.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Texibus posted:

This however...

Is fantastic, thanks dude/brosahphine!

Glad you like it!

Texibus posted:

I'll go enjoy them for the both of us on Oct. 29th when they come my way.

:argh: I wanna see them so bad! I'm going to be back in Canada and the US for a few weeks in November, but they're going to be elsewhere.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2013

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I feel like Sleigh Bells is kind of an acquired taste, but yeah, once it clicked for me I was totally in. Still can't believe that I ended up digging a song with the lyric 'wonder what your boyfriend thinks about your braces'

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

nasboat posted:

I feel like Sleigh Bells is kind of an acquired taste, but yeah, once it clicked for me I was totally in. Still can't believe that I ended up digging a song with the lyric 'wonder what your boyfriend thinks about your braces'

I dunno, that kinda goes with everything towards the noise rock end of shoegaze yeah?

I listened through the new album, it's alright I guess. I ended up just going back and listening to their first album though.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So who remembers Failure, Ken Andrews and Troy Van Leeuwen's alt-rock band probably best known for "Stuck on You"? (They also did a pretty great cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence")

They broke up in 1997 yet still have an official Facebook page (link), which just changed its cover photo, without comment:

So yeah — Andrews and Co. might be resuscitating the band, which is awesome news for the nostalgic 30-something geeks like me who remember them.

E: thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575468&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 18, 2013

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm not much of an indie rock fan but my girlfriend and I saw Phantogram for $20 last night. They were good but the guy who opened (Giraffage) played such a great dance set that the slower rock vibe kind of bummed us out. Also the crowd was full of self-conscious dorky people oscillating between nervously swaying their heads to the music and being absorbed in their iphones. One guy actually got angry because, while dancing in the same spot I'd been in all night, he moved close enough to me that we started rubbing shoulders (god forbid).

We had a lot of fun despite that we saw almost no one else moving even though the band has songs that are very easy to dance to. We talked to Giraffage after his set and he was really friendly, told him his set was the best part of the night.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Giraffage is excellent and all of his stuff is free on bandcamp. Worth checking out if you're into chillwave.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Tycho counts as indie electronic right? His new single Awake came out a few days ago and it is fantastic, as usual. New album next year.

http://youtu.be/VZBrZV3nHAA

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Texibus posted:

Is fantastic, thanks dude/brosahphine! I'll go enjoy them for the both of us on Oct. 29th when they come my way.

You're in for a treat -- I saw them live in Seattle last week and it was incredible. This band is going to be big.

Drunken Warlord
Jul 8, 2013

It's a dogs life.
Does anybody know of any decent indie protest bands - preferably something that's either folk or rock? Feel free to send me some YT links.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Drunken Warlord posted:

Does anybody know of any decent indie protest bands - preferably something that's either folk or rock? Feel free to send me some YT links.

Back when I did college radio I came across an album by a group called Dear Leader titled The Alarmist. It's apparently hard to find and I see none of their stuff is on YT, but the song Bleed might be up that alley.

Snowden's first album Anti-Anti is also pretty, well, anti-establishment.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Elsinore released their newest album, Push/Pull, a few days ago. Here's what Paste has to say about it:

quote:

As a final product, Push/Pull still sounds distinctly like Elsinore, which is to say it’s a bit dualistic in tone. A handful of the tracks display the bouncy (although not so psychedelic) energy that has kept the group hovering on the periphery of national indie-rock consciousness, with trademark spacey keys and power guitar in full effect. And then there’s the other Elsinore, as in the languid, dream-like “Sinister Sister” or “New England,” identifiable as the same band only because lead vocalist Ryan Groff’s uniquely high-pitched but mellifluous voice is hard to mistake. They’re understandable artistic explorations, but not the kind of thing that makes rock club audiences scream and applaud.

Thankfully, there’s plenty of the latter on Push/Pull as well. “The Art of Pulling” is an obvious lead single, and buoyed by huge guitars and an exultant chorus, it’s as catchy as any of Elsinore’s best singles, such as 2010’s “Chemicals.”

Elsinore is at its best when it embraces its sonically ambitious and aggressive side, as it does in tracks like “Fatal Flaw” and this version of “Life Inside an Elephant.” They seem to have retained the youthful voice of college students at the University of Illinois while simultaneously acknowledging the encroaching responsibilities of mundane adulthood, something perfectly encapsulated in the final track “Mislocation” when Groff sings “So many seeds of the 1980s/ Have grown into gardens.”

Those are without a doubt the words of an indie-rock father, one who has struck a balance between music and family. It calls into question whether Elsinore will ever truly “arrive” on a national scale, but if they continue to produce songs like “The Art of Pulling” on every record, fans will probably remain satisfied.

It's a little different sound from Yes Yes Yes to be sure, but I'm digging pretty much every track except for a couple of the slow ones.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If anyone feels like getting sentimental (or just listening to great music by a guy who left us far too soon), tomorrow (10/21) is the 10th anniversary of Elliott Smith's death.

:smith:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bRVGOweRw:unsmith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Real Name Grover posted:

If anyone feels like getting sentimental (or just listening to great music by a guy who left us far too soon), tomorrow (10/21) is the 10th anniversary of Elliott Smith's death.

:smith:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bRVGOweRw:unsmith:
Aw man, it's been a while! :smith: I remember reading a copy of The Big Nothing that a friend lent me probably 6 or 7 years ago.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I dunno, that kinda goes with everything towards the noise rock end of shoegaze yeah?

I listened through the new album, it's alright I guess. I ended up just going back and listening to their first album though.

I really liked their first album and felt it was a fresh sound at the time. Unlike a lot of popular indie bands their sound hasn't matured at all and it seems like they are clinging to a scheme.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

Drunken Warlord posted:

Defiance, Ohio! I love these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcw2ev9PKAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTmSmK5GzI

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75BFcH4u2k&hd=1

Although it's not bad, someone on the official FB comments described it as lazy, which sounds about right.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man Sleigh Bells could have been this amazing band but they kinda lost what made them so good with their first album in my opinion. Now its just like they're trying so hard to capture that while doing something new (but still clutching to that first album's sound). I don't know I loved their first album, but their 2nd album disappointed me when they moved away from their hiphop inspired beats, and the new song just sounded a bit to high quality in comparison to the lo-fi sounding first album. I don't know honestly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
New Cults album and new Sleigh Bells album:

Static is clearly the better of the two, but I still like the Sleigh Bells album. But it's got that nice, catchy beat that I loved in their second album, so it's all good.

I generally like anything, anyway, so both Static and Bitter Rivals will be on my music playlists for awhile.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Surprised no one posted about this, but Arcade Fire played Colbert Report tonight as "The Reflektors". It was pretty weird, since at first all you could see was these giant papier mache heads of Colbert, John Stewart, and I'm guessing a couple guys from the band:

and then the camera panned over to them playing, and they're all dressed in these Western-style jackets. The song sounded really great, though. I'm pretty excited for this album :D

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
New Los Campesinos! album leaked, called No Blues. It's really good. I love this band so much. They toned down on the poppy-tweeness of their old stuff and as a result have a lot cleaner and more coherent sound. But, of course, still the same ridiculous and brilliant lyrics: "A heart of stone, rind so tough it's crazy, that's why they call me the avocado, baby"

Check it out!

Khashie
May 21, 2007
Really liking Broods these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjrA3mz6j4

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
White Denim's new album, Corsicana Lemonade, is up for streaming. As someone who absolutely loved their last album, this one is pretty kickin' rad.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/21/white-denim-corsicana-lemonade-album-stream

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In more Moonface news, Pitchfork is streaming the entire new album here. For those of you wondering who Moonface is, it's one of the guys from Wolf Parade. The weird one.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Reflektor time. Please don't be bad.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

First listen impressions:

Welp, it's okay as far as music goes, but it's their worst album. The stuff that was coming out prior to that made me expect as much, so I'm not really surprised. It's not even close to being their best album and a lot of the songs sound kind of the same. It's a "happier" album than the others, I guess, but it's not something I'd want to play from start to finish like I might with the others. Nothing on it is really all that memorable aside from the title track, Normal Person, and maybe It's Never Over. The last track is really only five minutes followed by another six of gibberish. By the second or third song from the end, I was starting to actually want it to be over, which I suppose isn't all that good a sign. It was mentioned in at least one or two reviews that have already come out, but lot of the songs really are too long.

I should add that while I think it's their worst album, some people might think this is their best. It's going to be divisive.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I really like the Haitian percussion thing they've got going on in songs like Reflektor and Here Comes the Night Time and I wouldn't have minded more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's gonna take a few more listens, but I'd say this is probably one of their best. Love the new direction, but I guess I'm biased since I already love new wave-y poo poo anyway.

The beginning of Normal Person is hilarious with Win aping David Byrne's awkwardness.