Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
Guys. Guys. Bread is fun. I love baking it. My mom has noticed this so when I went over to visit her today she gave me a baking stone and a couple of cookbooks that she had from when she used to bake a lot more. I was excited about all of it but especially the book called Bread Baking. It was published in 1975 and has amazing recipes and illustrations. Check these out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That definitely looks like a book from the 70s.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Is the book published on Christmas Island?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Marv Albert posted:

Is the book published on Christmas Island?

This picture rings a bell, but something's missing...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

geetee posted:

What am I, chopped liver?

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

geetee posted:

I thought it was sensible that the baker removed their jewelry before handling the dough.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

I call it "Breadse"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

NightConqueror posted:

I call it "Breadse"

Doughse

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
How do I make pita with a good pocket in it? I think I might be making it too thin before I cook it? Any suggestions or secrets?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

FishBulb posted:

How do I make pita with a good pocket in it? I think I might be making it too thin before I cook it? Any suggestions or secrets?

I do this recipe 50/50 WW/AP, with 1 tsp sodium citrate instead of dough improver:

They come out of the oven looking like beach balls.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't have sodium citrate :(

That's almost exactly the recipie I used minus the dough improver/citrate so I guess I'll just try again.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 18, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've used this with pretty stellar results:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-pita-bread-90844

They puff up like magic! Use a stone.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I make these pita. If they don't puff up it's because I rolled them too thick or too thin.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anybody have a no-knead recipe that they use often? I've done Lahey's a couple times and I'm always underwhelmed at the taste. The crust is excellent and crackling, the crumb is well developed, but it doesn't taste like much. My sourdough starter is midway through growing so I'll probably mess with that later on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody have a no-knead recipe that they use often? I've done Lahey's a couple times and I'm always underwhelmed at the taste. The crust is excellent and crackling, the crumb is well developed, but it doesn't taste like much. My sourdough starter is midway through growing so I'll probably mess with that later on.

Use sourdough no-knead. Same technique but about 1/4 cup starter instead of yeast.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Before you jump ship to a different recipe, check to make sure you're using enough salt. Measure it by weight, especially if you're using a courser salt like kosher or sea salt.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That definitely looks like a book from the 70s.

I wonder if it taste what it looks like.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

I tried again making the sweet potato bread that I showed in my first post in the thread. This time I knew more what I was doing so I kneaded it more (which I'm pretty sure I didn't do enough of the first time) and let it rise longer. I also know to lower the temp of my oven a bit since it was consistently burning loaves until I started doing that. I added more sugar and used pumpkin pie spice in it and holy crap this stuff is amazing. Anyhow, here's kind of a lovely picture of the bread:

Excuse the canyon in the top. I didn't need to cut it since the loaf doesn't rise a ton in the oven.

I also made a four-strand eggless challah. I was going to try a few more egg-free challah recipes but everyone loves this one so much that I haven't bothered.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

The Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day "mother" recipe and techniques are a great place to start.

The ratio approach also works great to create your own bread recipes, or when you want to scale up or scale down an established recipe. You can use ratio when you want to create multi-grain bread (like rye or part whole wheat), but be aware different kinds of flours absorb liquid differently, so you may need to vary the hydration. You need a scale to use ratios effectively, but then again, you should really use a scale if you're going to be doing any baking. If you look at no-knead recipes, you'll see that they tend towards 5 parts flour to 4 parts liquid.

I think that 1:.025 is a good general ratio for salt - IE 40 ounces of flour to 1 ounce of salt for perfectly seasoned bread.

Yeast is highly variable in that you'll get the same thing in the end, but generally adding more gets you a faster rise. A 1/4 ounce envelope will leaven around 20 ounces of flour in 2-3 hours so you can stash the dough in the refrigerator for later. Or, as little as 1 or 2 grams of yeast will leaven that same amount of flour more slowly, as the yeast multiply, so that you can let the dough ferment at room temperature for a day prior to baking. That slow ferment at room temperature is also a good way to get a sourdough tang to your bread.

Marv Albert fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 22, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

I think I see how doughse was slipped in there.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Today I tried making two different kinds of bread. The first one (a savoury chocolate bread) called for 6 cups of flour and 1 3/4 cups of water plus oil, salt, sugar and cocoa. When I tried to mix that together it was dry as hell and there was no way it was going to come together into a 'soft dough' with a wooden spoon as the recipe claimed. I cautiously added more water while trying knead it into a recognizably dough-like form. It ended up this stiff, hard ball that would barely knead at all. I eventually left it to rise and it did a bit but nothing much. Adding more water and kneading more has kind of helped but I'm not sure I'm going to try baking it at all.

The other bread was a no-knead using more yeast and only a few hours in the bowl. It also used 6 cups of flour but nearly twice the amount of water than the chocolate bread. Even it stayed much drier than a no-knead usually does and had little weird hard crusty bits in it after it had sat for the allotted amount of time. I tried kneading it together a bit more and letting it rise a little more again but even then it had weird bits. I baked it and I'll cut into it soon and see what it looks like inside.

What is going on here? The only thing I can think of is that I had the living room window open and forgot about it so it was colder than usual in here today. It was around eight degrees celsius outside but the lady downstairs controls the heat and it gets too warm at times so I opened things up in the morning.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Today I tried making two different kinds of bread. The first one (a savoury chocolate bread) called for 6 cups of flour and 1 3/4 cups of water plus oil, salt, sugar and cocoa. When I tried to mix that together it was dry as hell and there was no way it was going to come together into a 'soft dough' with a wooden spoon as the recipe claimed. I cautiously added more water while trying knead it into a recognizably dough-like form. It ended up this stiff, hard ball that would barely knead at all. I eventually left it to rise and it did a bit but nothing much. Adding more water and kneading more has kind of helped but I'm not sure I'm going to try baking it at all.

The other bread was a no-knead using more yeast and only a few hours in the bowl. It also used 6 cups of flour but nearly twice the amount of water than the chocolate bread. Even it stayed much drier than a no-knead usually does and had little weird hard crusty bits in it after it had sat for the allotted amount of time. I tried kneading it together a bit more and letting it rise a little more again but even then it had weird bits. I baked it and I'll cut into it soon and see what it looks like inside.

What is going on here? The only thing I can think of is that I had the living room window open and forgot about it so it was colder than usual in here today. It was around eight degrees celsius outside but the lady downstairs controls the heat and it gets too warm at times so I opened things up in the morning.

Are you using the same flour as usual? I can't think whet else would account for such dry dough. Add more water!

The hard bits on top I sometimes get if I don't properly cover the dough with oiled film. It dries out and forms little hard scabs.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
It sounds like, in the first recipe at least, it was way too dry. Online recipes are often lovely. If you had just used that amount of flour and water it would have been a 36% hydration dough (actually slightly less because the calculator I'm using accounts for at least 10g of a wet starter). The "average" sandwich loaf is around 60-65% hydration, so yours is already way below average. Add a bunch of cocoa and other dry ingredients and the only result possible is a brick.

Even your second recipe is too dry.

Try using about 600g of water in your first recipe. With just flour that's a 75% hydration but it should even out with the addition of the cocoa and sugar (I think).

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/22944/dough-hydration-calculator

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Thanks, therattle and The Doctor. I used my usual AP flour but I agree that both recipes had not nearly enough hydration. Both were dismal failures; especially the chocolate one that baked into ugly bricks.

Thanks for the hydration calculator! I'm going to try the chocolate one again tomorrow.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Are you measuring by volume or weight? Volume is awful and is affected by a number of variables. Invest in good bread and buy yourself a cheap electronic scale.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Thanks for posting that calculator! I have my first sourdough starter brewing up, and that will definitely come in handy when I bake the first loaf.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's a great little tool. I never cared about hydration when I first started baking but getting into really nice breads it's totally needed.

Volume does suck also but if you're really stuck using it you can just convert the ingredients to grams online and get a pretty decent approximation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Hydration and weight are very useful, but so is intuition. Trust yours more! It felt dry, and it was.

loldor
Jul 4, 2008

The Doctor posted:

Yeah it's a great little tool. I never cared about hydration when I first started baking but getting into really nice breads it's totally needed.

Volume does suck also but if you're really stuck using it you can just convert the ingredients to grams online and get a pretty decent approximation.

I probably dont understand, but how is 'converting ingredients to grams' compatible with using volume as an approximate in general, and in comparison to using the empirical system in specific?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

therattle posted:

Hydration and weight are very useful, but so is intuition. Trust yours more! It felt dry, and it was.

Baking is more about following recipes than most other cooking tends to be, but it's still an art, not a science. If something doesn't feel right when you follow a recipe, it probably isn't.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

IDateBois posted:

I probably dont understand, but how is 'converting ingredients to grams' compatible with using volume as an approximate in general, and in comparison to using the empirical system in specific?

google "how many grams is a cup of water". Most common baking ingredients have conversions online.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

The Doctor posted:

google "how many grams is a cup of water". Most common baking ingredients have conversions online.

I find these conversions poor at best since it's dependent on your brand and type. Also note that these conversions for flour assume that you're sifting the flour prior to scoop and leveling.

A scale costs $25 and is a one time expense that will save you a lot of headache, I just don't see why you wouldn't just get one if you were finding that baking recipes just aren't working for you for whatever reason. It should be the first troubleshooting step.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I use a scale, but I know what it's like to legitimately not be able to afford the expense. Conversions are fine for the average baker until a scale can be acquired.

e: Also, if you're making a totally average sandwich loaf and you can't get it to work out, scales are not the problem, the recipe or the person following it is the problem. When someone complains that a recipe has failed them, the problem is never or extemely rarely "I should have weighed it" until you start getting into serious recipes with features reliant on accuracy. The problem is almost always: terrible recipe, substituted/forgotten ingredients, inadequate proofing, cold oven, cold rise, etc. All other things being equal, in a simple recipe, volume/weight is inconsequential.

This isn't to argue that measuring by weight is not vastly superior to any other method, because it is, once you actually need to care about it.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 24, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The lack of kitchen scales in the US is just seriously weird. An analogue kitchen scale can be bought for ~$4 in any supermarket in the UK. Its just simply something which every kitchen has, in nearly every country apart from the US.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

The Doctor posted:

e: Also, if you're making a totally average sandwich loaf and you can't get it to work out, scales are not the problem, the recipe or the person following it is the problem. When someone complains that a recipe has failed them, the problem is never or extemely rarely "I should have weighed it" until you start getting into serious recipes with features reliant on accuracy. The problem is almost always: terrible recipe, substituted/forgotten ingredients, inadequate proofing, cold oven, cold rise, etc. All other things being equal, in a simple recipe, volume/weight is inconsequential.

This has not been my experience, but it might just be because my whole wheat flour is exceptionally weird.

loldor
Jul 4, 2008

Measuring water in volume I can understand, but flour by volume is just weird. There are so many variables influencing the amount of flour you pack into a given container it seems like guessing at best. I'll have to mirror the sentiment that its hard to understand why you would not have a scale in your kitchen.

Also, if you're converting cups to grams to not work with volume in the first place I still don't see how that works. You're still working with volumes, but now you're adding an estimate of its weight.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Measuring flour by volume is significantly less accurate, and it gets compounded since there's inaccuracy on your end and inaccuracy from whoever's writing the formula you're using, but it still shouldn't gently caress your recipe up beyond recognition like it did for TenKindsOfCrazy. I'd expect either there was a typo in the recipe, or there was a cup of milk or something in there that got forgotten. Maybe the cocoa in the recipe was supposed to be a brewed cup of hot cocoa instead of cocoa powder, or there was an extra cup of water in the instructions for blooming active dry yeast. Something like that.

But get a scale if you can. Even a 5% margin of error makes a big difference to your final hydration %, and you don't have to deal with crap like scooping out 12 half cups since your 1 cup measure is in the wash.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

For what it's worth here's the recipe I tried: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-bread/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

For what it's worth here's the recipe I tried: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-bread/

That tiny, little bit of sugar with all that chocolate and flour almost seems like it would be worthless as a flavor modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Drifter posted:

That tiny, little bit of sugar with all that chocolate and flour almost seems like it would be worthless as a flavor modifier.

It's not supposed to be sweet but you're right. I wonder if it was supposed to read 3 cups of flour, not six, and it got overlooked. There are people in the comments saying the recipe worked for them.

Anyhow, it was a poo poo recipe and I'm not going to try this one again. I may just make up my own based on my favourite white bread recipe.