Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Do you get a lot of snow? I heard the cheapo ones will trap water, thats what Im mostly worried about.

New Englander here.... There is no such thing it a water proof cover, water will get under it no matter what.
if you did get totally water proof, condensation builds up under it and will cause mold to grow on non metal parts, and rust to appear on metal parts. It will also oxidize parts like the alternator, brakes, and other galvanized metals. the ceiling is made of cardboard/fabric and will warp if you keep the car covered with a totally water proof cover.

What you want is something to protect it from harsh elements, wind, dust, pollutants in rain water and snow.
any decent cloth based cover will do. unfortunately the smallest water particles will get in and you will have to deal with washing your car before your 1st spring drive. The pollutants will stay outside when the cloth is on.

another reason to avoid total waterproof covers is because every morning as night turns today, you build up a fine layer of condensation on the car. that water needs to escape via evaporation as the day becomes "warmer" with sunlight.

Its up to you if you feel that getting a $400 custom stitched NOAH, Sunbrella, or Weathershield cover will be better or you can get a $60 car cover from autozone, that does the same drat thing.

You want to look for water resistant covers. The material can be purchased in different thicknesses based on how much UV, Wind, and protection from heavy debris like hail, or twigs, etc.. you want.

you also want to leave a gap between the floor and the cover. covers that touch the floor pick up dirt and stuff as the wind blows and spread that stuff all over the bottom edges of your car.

good luck dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

I supercharged a DOHC mod motor in 2006-2007 with a Paxton Novi 1000. The answer is it depends on your goals. The earlier mod motors aren't torquey motors at all and adding a centrifugal suprercharger meant that at 3800 RPM I got a ton of power and stock drive-ability and gas mileage on the lower end.

I'm looking at the 2200SL or Vortech units, considering Whipple if the price is right because who cares about quarter miles. Running 3.73s right now so low end isn't a problem, but 3.31/3.55 might need to happen while running boost.

Tide posted:

Check out http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/. They can help you with a specific set up. Really helpful people. I have heard really good things about their Beefcake Special Vortex and Paxton blowers. I bought the Roush 625 HP PD set up from them.

Which is sitting in a box that's waiting on me to get the time to install it :smith:

Is this Phase 2? I'm curious as to how much power it would make on a fully bolt on car (Headers, 3" full exhaust) with ID725s or ID1000s. Please let me know!

I've bought a bunch of parts from Beefcake and their support is spot on.

kalvick posted:

I would not give up your intake either, that is a major character trait for your car! I like a centrifugal in this case just to have the boss intake front and center.

Zero gains when going Paxton/Novi so it might need to go. I have the accufab throttle body and parking lot driveablity is pretty much a joke. The car is either going 2/5ths throttle or above or not moving at all. Everything gets quite choppy and the MT82 does not play nice.

Anything above 650hp I consider dangerous for the block itself, so I'd like to stay below that mark.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Anyone have any experience with supercharging the coyote here? Would really like a goon opinion on PD vs Centri vs the opposition for what it's worth.

Get yourself the new i-1 procharger. It's ridiculous. It adjusts the amounts of boost based on the settings you choose while in the drivers' seat. No need to get out & wrench on things to change boost levels; and during a dyno run I got to watch with one bolted to a new Camaro SS, you can take it up to some crazy numbers. They took the Camaro up to 680 HP with nothing but the i-1.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 17, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Is this Phase 2? I'm curious as to how much power it would make on a fully bolt on car (Headers, 3" full exhaust) with ID725s or ID1000s. Please let me know!

Your best bet would be to call them up. They could give you a ballpark idea.

quote:

I've bought a bunch of parts from Beefcake and their support is spot on.

I can't recommend them enough. I'll price comparison shop a little bit, but I don't mind paying a little more for the extra service and attention those guys give.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

New Englander here.... There is no such thing it a water proof cover, water will get under it no matter what.
if you did get totally water proof, condensation builds up under it and will cause mold to grow on non metal parts, and rust to appear on metal parts. It will also oxidize parts like the alternator, brakes, and other galvanized metals. the ceiling is made of cardboard/fabric and will warp if you keep the car covered with a totally water proof cover.

good luck dude.
Thanks so much, this is my first winter storing a car and I thought I heard a while ago that waterproof was what I wanted. Ill just look for a decent cloth one then. Ive already got swirls in the paint so I know Ill have to give it a good washing and detailing next spring.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Devyl posted:

Get yourself the new i-1 procharger. It's ridiculous. It adjusts the amounts of boost based on the settings you choose while in the drivers' seat. No need to get out & wrench on things to change boost levels; and during a dyno run I got to watch with one bolted to a new Camaro SS, you can take it up to some crazy numbers. They took the Camaro up to 680 HP with nothing but the i-1.

I never really considered this a legitimate option but I'm talking to TPS Motorsports (very local) to see what a Stage 2 (Intercooled) system would set me back. Procharger systems are rock solid but this new kit is *so* new it makes me pretty worried.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Thanks so much, this is my first winter storing a car and I thought I heard a while ago that waterproof was what I wanted. Ill just look for a decent cloth one then. Ive already got swirls in the paint so I know Ill have to give it a good washing and detailing next spring.

I should mention, about storing....

if you are storing the car, make sure to put some STA-BIL in the fuel tank, it stops gas from going moldy. You also want the tank to be completely full because water can build up in the tank.

You can drop a mothball or two inside the car, but be really careful because that will keep bugs out, but will make your car stink when you take it out. dont put a a whole box of that poo poo in there! keep it on a sheet of foil to stop it soaking into the carpet. if you can get bags of moisture absorbers you can throw them in the car instead. oder eaters may also be useful.

get a trickle charger for the battery, its like $40 bucks to $100. that will power the battery so it wont die. if thats a no go you can get a solar panel for like $60 but they don't do a good job when the nights come quickly. you can leave a solar panel stuck in the cigarette lighter.

any aftermarket equipment like a stereo, or other battery life sucking equipment. pull it out for the winter.

If you can every few weeks take the car cover off and start the car and run it for a little while. move all the parts of the car that require fluids to keep them moving.... transmissions, wheels, steering, brakes, etc... you dont want that stuff settling too much. make sure you tires are not flat spotting and roll em around.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 17, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I never really considered this a legitimate option but I'm talking to TPS Motorsports (very local) to see what a Stage 2 (Intercooled) system would set me back. Procharger systems are rock solid but this new kit is *so* new it makes me pretty worried.

Here is a good video of some extreme torture testing they did on the Camaro. If it can survive that long drive and still run those kinds of numbers without cooling off, I think it's pretty good. Needless to say, I hope whatever you choose works out well for you and I'd like to see more pics of your Mustang in here :)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kalvick posted:

If you can every few weeks take the car cover off and start the car and run it for a little while. move all the parts of the car that require fluids to keep them moving.... transmissions, wheels, steering, brakes, etc... you dont want that stuff settling too much. make sure you tires are not flat spotting and roll em around.

Bad advice, don't start it unless you're going to drive it at least 15-20 minutes to burn the moisture off.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

good advice
Thanks!

opengl128 posted:

Bad advice, don't start it unless you're going to drive it at least 15-20 minutes to burn the moisture off.
Id rather not drive it because of all the salt on the roads, but would idling be ok or no?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cage posted:

Id rather not drive it because of all the salt on the roads, but would idling be ok or no?

Sitting there idling it will never get to full temperature. All you're doing is wearing the engine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Cage posted:

A winter off isn't going to ruin your car, I wouldn't worry about starting it up. Keep the battery tended, put stabil in a full tank, change the oil in the spring when you start driving it, and it should be A-ok. As an extra bonus, depending on where you park, you could park your tires on some linoleum remnants or something to keep them from losing their moisture through cement. This is how I winter my Buell.

Unrelated: I have the Mustang in the shop today for an oil change. Last time, I pointed out what I thought was a wheel bearing noise and it turns out the rear end needed to be completely re-bearinged. Hoping for a... less expensive visit this time.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 18, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Aforementioned Roush supercharger install is done, test drive successful. Wasn't able to make the appointment with the tuner, so that will have to wait until next week.

Took us about sixteen hours of actual install time, but we really took our time with it. Could have probably done it in about 7 or 8.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Scored my second roadkill ever last night, some retarded coyote jumped over the Jersey barrier on I-476 and hurled itself directly at my front left wheel.

A survey of the damage looks mostly cosmetic with the exception of a torn wiring harness which I haven't bothered to trace yet but I'm assuming it's a turn signal because the car seems to *work* perfectly as far as I've observed so far. And then there's this bracket holding a couple of...things...which looks to be bent to poo poo and might also need replacing.

What are these things? Pretty much dead center of the photo, looks like a pair of steel cups with a black plastic attachment mounted to them.

Edit: Hurrr, right you are, horns it is. Thanks.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 27, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Look like horns to me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

According to Car and Driver, this is the 2015 Mustang (or the closest representation of it we've seen so far).

They say there will be a 2.3L ecoboost option priced just slightly above the carryover 3.7V6 with better fuel economy and 310hp. They also talk about a twin-turbo V8 with a flat-plane crank between 5-5.5L showing up in a GT350 model. :fh:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like...a Tiburon? Genesis? FRS'ish?

If that is it, which I don't think it is, not quite sure I like it. Looks rather bland.

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 28, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Without looking at a picture of a Camaro side by side I have to say that everything behind the headlights looks like a Camaro.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tide posted:

Looks like...a Tiburon? Genesis? FRS'sih?

Not quite sure I like it. Looks rather bland.

It's be more OK if the two front grills were not so gapingly tall. The front end just looks like it needs to be vertically compressed down a bit to get it in to proportion.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

According to me, Car and Driver is dumb

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Gwaihir posted:

The front end just looks like it needs to be vertically compressed down a bit to get it in to proportion.

If you compare the actual camo mules to this Car and Driver image, I'm pretty sure you're going to get exactly what you want in this regard.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

That render annoys me so much. Derp just gonna paste these hood vents over the airbox and fuse box locations. Oh yeahhhhh let's sell some magazines. :downsbravo:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
My wife just said that it looks like the old Mustang. The more I look at it, the more I feel like that's a pretty accurate statement.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I'm pretty sure that's a Fusion with a horsie taped to the grille.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Looks pretty nice. Would kind of like it to borrow the Fusion grille like they did with the Fiesta but Aston Martin would probably be very angry

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
And black friday sales are on!

through JPC racing

OR

Paxton 2200/Id1000s/ and your choice of a whiteline mount or bmr sway bar relocation: $4615 shipped!!!! through beefcake.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wooooooooooooooow. That's an unbelievable price.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Tide posted:

Wooooooooooooooow. That's an unbelievable price.

I know, I'm kicking myself trying to figure out if this is a really good idea or a really bad idea. Since it's a tuner kit, would all I need is my normal SCT tuner?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I know, I'm kicking myself trying to figure out if this is a really good idea or a really bad idea. Since it's a tuner kit, would all I need is my normal SCT tuner?

I think the normal tuner kits require injectors and a custom tune. But since it comes with the injectors, it looks like all it needs is the tune. A BAP probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

As to whether it is a good or bad idea overall?

Do you really need to ask? :getin:

No idea where you live, but if you were/are within about 2 hours of me (Mobile), I would love to help with the install

cropguru357
Nov 5, 2012
Out with the 2004...

...in with the 2014.

It's a base model, no options. It's quite a handful on the road, and is going to take some time getting used to the power and handling.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

cropguru357 posted:

Out with the 2004...

...in with the 2014.

It's a base model, no options. It's quite a handful on the road, and is going to take some time getting used to the power and handling.

"Base" model Cobra or is it a appearance package?

Edit: Either way, nice buy! Gorgeous cars.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
That would cost a lot for the bumper, grill, lip, hood, etc

Base model as in gt500 without any upgrades (they have the svt package or something for it for like $2000).

Anyways thats a big loving jump (was your 2004 blown or ANYTHING?) and you basically have the highest hp car on AI now that i think about it. Holy gently caress.

cropguru357
Nov 5, 2012
It's real! Not a decorated GT. 2014 GT500, none of the SVTPP or Track Pack options (big $$$ for not a lot of benefit that I would appreciate).

The old 2004GT was stock except for the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter (definitely recommended for those cars). The base engine HP was 260, the GT500 has 662. Upgrade of 402 horsepower, YESSSSS.

Here's the best factory option available on a Mustang:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

cropguru357 posted:

Out with the 2004...

...in with the 2014.

Love it! Have you had the issue of everyone taking pictures & drooling on it every time you stop to get gas?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

coolskillrex remix posted:

and you basically have the highest hp car on AI now that i think about it. Holy gently caress.

Is this a challenge?

Because I want to be able to afford to accept it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

coolskillrex remix posted:

you basically have the highest hp car on AI now that i think about it. Holy gently caress.

It's close. I'm sitting right around 600 bhp with my E55 AMG, but I think one of the other guys with an E55 has more than me. I quit at the Eurocharged Stage 2 level, the dollar to hp ratio was getting way too high.

I'd love to have 600(+) pounds less to push around, too. Dang. Jealous of that power/weight.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am at 562 rwhp on my '12 GT. My biggest restrictions right now right now are the headers and mid pipe.

Anyway, beautiful car, crop. I love that color.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Freakin jelly. Let me know if you want a Roush AB for super cheap, it should bolt right up.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

A while ago I was considering selling my 2012 GT because I bought another vehicle that was more practical and better suited to my needs. But then I drove the mustang one day and was like "nnnnope, I'm keeping it."

So just a heads up: if anyone thinks that selling their mustang is a good idea, make sure to drive it some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I have been struggling a lot with the "I want something new" bug. I get it every 2-3 years. I really want an SUV, but I just paid off my 11 GT, so I think I will keep it as long as I can. I really love the car and would probably hate myself if I got something different.