Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

ok, so i'm assuming that eddie alvarez is probably at least kinda well known by the bellator audience. does him being on a show boost their ratings at all?

alvarez hasnt fought in awhile so I don't think anyone knows how many eyeballs he can get on TV. From what I remember hes a pretty big local draw in Detroit kinda like how certain guys were/are in San Jose

outy posted:

Zuffa could quite easily buy up most of Bellator's star roster, but it's clear that they don't need to. It'll be a lot cheaper to buy the failing company in about 3 months time.

not true at all, the whole Eddie Alvarez court battle is about exactly this. UFC can't poach all of Bellator's guys. Bellator won. And as Dana has said, there's no reason for them to buy bellator, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Eddie Alvarez isn't from Detroit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
alvarez is a philly dude

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
got the east coast city i know nothing about wrong, my bad

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
detroit is not really "east coast" either

it's not on the coast

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Told you I don't know anything about it

Im lucky I remembered who eddie alvarez was

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it's just more talent poaching than anything. Zuffa wants the best in the world. If Joe and Dana think that a guy in another org is one of the best, they're going to grab them when they get a chance.

They signed Alvarez right when Bellator was about to debut on Spike. It is about talent poaching, but not because Alvarez is one of the best, but because he's the one of the best in the #2 promotion.

syxxcowz
Jan 27, 2006

by angerbeet
I wouldnt be surprised if Alvarez beat Chandler in the rematch, they are both top fighters, and Alvarez was doing well up intil he lost.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Meat Recital posted:

They signed Alvarez right when Bellator was about to debut on Spike. It is about talent poaching, but not because Alvarez is one of the best, but because he's the one of the best in the #2 promotion.

they were also short on LW title contenders when the whole thing began

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
BLEAGUE ALERT!

ProFC 50 goes down at 12 noon EDT today! Headlined by Oplot president Alexei Oleinik against weird Guile wannabe and Dan Cormier victim Dion Staring!

Card:

Stream: http://profc.ws/live-tv

As always, join me in #mma to discuss.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I don't know if this goes in the B-league thread or what but I just read that Jon Fitch moved to the opposite side of the country to take a day job teaching MMA at a gym in Syracuse, NY, and I didn't see it posted in any of the other threads. Maybe I missed something, maybe not.

quote:

Fitch and AKA are practically synonymous. So it might take some by a little bit of surprise to hear Fitch packed up his family and headed cross-country recently to take a job at a mega-fitness center in Syracuse, N.Y.

Fitch said money definitely played a part in his move from one side of the country to the other.

"There are financial things to take into consideration – it's a salaried job with guaranteed income and health benefits for my family," he said. "Those are huge, really. Honestly, California is falling apart. The whole country's kind of falling apart. But the cost of living here in California is ridiculous, and the taxation in California is ridiculous. I'm not sure it's any better in New York yet, but I've got to start doing something, thinking outside the box trying to keep yourself and your family above water and outside the sinking ship."

It was money that was a key part of the conversation when Fitch was unexpectedly released by the UFC earlier this year following a loss to Demian Maia at UFC 156. He made a disclosed $66,000 in show money for that fight, and it would've doubled with a win. At 1-2-1 his previous four fights, UFC President Dana White said he was just too expensive to keep around for non-winning outputs.

And Fitch's start with WSOF was no better. He was choked unconscious in 41 seconds by Josh Burkman, who earned a shot at the promotion's first welterweight title at WSOF 6 with the win.

And while Fitch didn't say that a change in scenery might do him some good after years in California, it might not have been far from his mind.

His new full-time job is for Pacific Health Club in Syracuse, which Fitch said is a 90,000 square-foot state-of-the-art gym. He's running the MMA area there.

"Just in my MMA section, we've got 8,000 square feet of mat space and two full-sized cages," he said. "It's just a ridiculous facility, and that's one of the reasons I made the move, just to take advantage of what they have going on up there. I'm running the MMA and grappling program, but I'm trying to start a fight team."

Wasn't he complaining a while back about needing more money from the UFC because he had to make payments on two houses in CA?

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

individual865 posted:

BLEAGUE ALERT!

ProFC 50 goes down at 12 noon EDT today! Headlined by Oplot president Alexei Oleinik against weird Guile wannabe and Dan Cormier victim Dion Staring!

Card:

Stream: http://profc.ws/live-tv

As always, join me in #mma to discuss.

WATCH THIS! We currently have live orchestral music, singing, a lady descending from the ceiling on strands of silk, serious Cirque De Soleil poo poo going on. This owns.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EvanSchenck posted:

I don't know if this goes in the B-league thread or what but I just read that Jon Fitch moved to the opposite side of the country to take a day job teaching MMA at a gym in Syracuse, NY, and I didn't see it posted in any of the other threads. Maybe I missed something, maybe not.

Wasn't he complaining a while back about needing more money from the UFC because he had to make payments on two houses in CA?

Fighters just can't stop bitching about taxes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Nice win for Pannie Kianzad there. I was a bit worried when she lost that point in the second round.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

EvanSchenck posted:

I kind of think he's just going off the deep end or something

quote:

I don't have a Facebook, and the last thing I'll say is everyone else should cancel their Facebook, because it's criminally spying on us and it's helping the government spy on us. The owner of that organization is a horrible person who is promoting fracking and putting a lot of money into poisoning our country. Basically, in my opinion, he hates children. Anyone who supports fracking is a child hater. I just want to put that out there.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Well the government IS coercing big companies like Facebook to turn over data to the NSA, and fracking IS really bad for the environment.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I kind of think he's just going off the deep end or something

All of that is true though. Except making people cry on facebook is worth the spying

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Man with Twitter and Xbox Live accounts declares Facebook is evil, chemtrails exist, and veganism is good for you. Vote Ron Paul 2016!

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

DekeThornton posted:

Nice win for Pannie Kianzad there. I was a bit worried when she lost that point in the second round.

Beating Dudieva is definitely impressive. That being said, can she really make 135? Tapology recorded this as a 140 Catchweight fight, and just in general she definitely seems as large as any Bantamweight in the UFC or TUF, with the freak exception of Peggy Morgan.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bean Fried posted:

Beating Dudieva is definitely impressive. That being said, can she really make 135?

Don't know. Iassume she can, considering that she aims for the UFC according to her Swedish interviews. I think, though I'm not sure, that her last fight before this one was at banramweight.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Weekend B-League Update!

Friday, October 18

9 AM EST - OneFC
Card: http://www.onefc.com/events/20-one-fighting-championship.html
Stream: This is a pay-per-view
Notable fighters: Bibiano Fernandes, likely the best bantamweight outside of the UFC; Turned down a UFC offer because he was making more money in OneFC. Shinya Aoki, self explanatory.

7 PM EST - Bellator Prelims -> Main Card
Refer to the Bellator thread, we don't serve their kind around these here parts.

8 PM EST - Watch Out Combat Show!
Card: http://www.sherdog.com/events/WOCS-Watch-Out-Combat-Show-30-29327
Stream: http://tv-aovivo.nl/lutas.html
Notable fighters: Uhhhhhh, Indy? Doesn't look like anyone has fought in Bellator/PRIDE/UFC on this card. But it's Brazil and they got big-booty ring girls.

10 PM EST - XFC 26 - AXS.tv
Card: http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/19892-xfc-26
Stream: It's AXS, there's no consistent stream but VipBox, Firstrow, or any of the usual spots will likely have a stream.
Notable Fighters: No one notable, but there's two women fights so I'm sure BeanFried is salivating at the prospect of weepy interviews and sub-z league mma striking.

Saturday, October 19

There's Oplot but there's no link up yet. I'll post one at start time which as usual should be 2 PM EST. It's UFC day anyway.

As always join us in #mma on synirc for b-league mockery, reactions, discussion and anything else you might want.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Yuriy posted:

Weekend B-League Update!

Friday, October 18

8 PM EST - Watch Out Combat Show!
Card: http://www.sherdog.com/events/WOCS-Watch-Out-Combat-Show-30-29327
Stream: http://tv-aovivo.nl/lutas.html
Notable fighters: Uhhhhhh, Indy? Doesn't look like anyone has fought in Bellator/PRIDE/UFC on this card. But it's Brazil and they got big-booty ring girls.

Who cares, check out this loving poster:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

individual865 posted:

Holy loving poo poo, a god drat Pig-Man.

Does this mean Chael was right?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Does this mean Chael was right?

Always and about everything

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

individual865 posted:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

One FC: Total Domination is starting now! If you're up early and wanna watch the closest thing to jmma left, join me in #mma.

Fight 1 Rene Catalan vs. Khim Dima: The first fight is between a wushu champion who did some sick katas and posed a lot before his walk out versus a Cambodian with a martial art I've never heard of who is a "Fighter looking to get out of his father's shadow in the One FC cage"

I don't know what exactly wushu is but it's apparently doing a lot of poses whenever a camera is on you.

Flyweights, spinning poo poo and a cool SLAM in the first 30 seconds.

Wushu armbar being countered with kicks to the face and flexibility. Armbar attempt guy ends up mounted but backwards. Commentary describes it as "crazy reverse monkey mount."

The whole kicks to grounded opponents thing is cool as hell and the Cambodian is using it after getting taken down by wushu-guy and hit in the face a whole bunch.

Round 1: Wushu guy for the takedowns, ground and pound and know what a jab is dominance.

I don't think the Cambodian has ever heard of a wrestle.

Cambodian guy can kick and take a beating but not much else. I dunno what OneFC's rules to shots to the back of the head are but from this beating "non-existent". Oh he warned him. As he continued.

Posing-kata wushu guy loses by a back of the head beating as the ref kneels, watches, and occasionally murmurs a warning.

Winner: Khim Dima - TKO (Brutal back of the head beating)

Fight 2: Shannon Wiratchai vs Mitch Wilson: This is a rematch. The thai guy is walking out with two wacky hats.

Apparently their first fight is why OneFC went from only allowing soccer kicks when a ref permits them to just letting them happen whenever.

Lenne Hardt's announcing improves everything. White guy has won muay thai championships in Thailand so he might not stink plus he's American so he likely has the bane of all Asian fighters "The ability to wrestle"

Shimada is reffing, acts out all of his instructions. One of them is cut already and bleeding within the first 50 seconds. Lots of clinch work and fence humping so far.

Asian crowd is excited about everything that any fighter does and no one has chanted "You're going to die" yet or anything. Eat your hearts out UFC.

Thai guy just wrecked whitie as he pulled guard via soccer kicks. Holy poo poo that owned. White guy is on the ground clutching his neck and just seemed really hosed up by the soccer kicks.

They put a neckbrace on the white guy and he didn't pull guard, he whiffed a spinning elbow.

Winner: Shannon Wiratchai TKO (Soccer kicks and a left hook to finish)

Fight 3: Jake Butler vs Sylvain Potard Jake Butler's last fight was really good, he's the non-Bibiano prospect from OneFC that I think has the best chance of making it in the UFC.

French guy walking out to Rick Ross in sunglasses. A judo black belt. Being cornered by a man with a pink mohawk.

I cannot get over how awesome Lenne Hardt is. The way she trills her R's is so loving cool.

Judo versus Wrestler. Butler probably should have finished it in that GNP beating but Shimada gonna Shimada.

He seems to have recovered and temporarily reversed it. Ooh, sick knee to the head. I love this ruleset.

Well Butler got caught by the French man.

Winner: Sylvain Potard TKO (Punches)

Fight 4: Rafael Silva vs Tatsuyo Mizuno

Well this asian has lost to the likes of Babalu (in 2012), Mousasi, Sergei, Crocop and Thiago Silva. But he does have a win over UFC great "Itir Latifi" aka the guy that got jabbed to death by Mousasi in Sweden and Melvin Manhoef.

Rafael Silva has fought like 40 times against people I've never heard of but Lid informs me that he lost to Tor from TUF.

Tatsuya's walkout highlight reel didn't feature footage from any of his fights, just pictures of his family. Hope he doesn't ever go to Bellator.

Tatsuyo is having his fingernails clipped before he gets in the cage.

The Portugese guy just went for a takedown, somehow ended up in mount being armbarred with the most confused expression on he face.

Mizuno just did what I think he thought was a flying knee attempt but he just kind of leaped into the air several feet away from his opponent and did a little foot flail.

Eye poke in round 2 leading to a pause after which the Portugese guy has hit him with two sick right hooks but Mizuno doesn't seem to care about being punched.

Round 2 is gassy, really bad striking which seems to be affecting the Portugese more from the knees to the body. Neither man gives a poo poo about being decked in the face.

Mizuno is definitely getting the better of the striking in round 3, landed a sick body kicks, a few soccer kicks to the body on the ground, and now some GNP. All the while grabbing on the cage while Shimada swats at his hands.

Silva is dead, doing nothing from the ground but I don't think Mizuno knows how to finish any of the submissions he was attempting. Oh well, he soccer kicked him in the head earlier.

Winner: Mizuno via unanimous (and correct) decision

Fight 5: Eddie Ng vs Peter Davis

Peter Davis is a male model with really nice abs. Who is walking out to chiptunes or something weird.

Eddie Ng has a last name that looks like someone accidentally hit two characters on a keyboard and is walking out to some asian-chanting song with flutes. Announced as an "explosive fighter" but he's clearly not black...

Eddie Ng started out with a very James Thompson-esque gongrush. It didn't work out well for him either.

The uplink from Singapore is dead and then came back and I guess Eddie Ng won. Eddie Ng doesn't fight his friends or team friends so he will not fight Shinya Aoki.

From the replay, I guess he won via armbar.

Winner: Eddie Ng - Submission (Armbar)

Aoki time bitches!

Fight 6 - Shinya Aoki vs Cody Stevens

Aoki has moved down to featherweight for this fight, will vacate the OneFC lightweight title if he does well at featherweight.

Shinya is looking great at featherweight and is "built for choking" according to the commentator.

And after that, he's not built for reproducing. RIP Aoki's balls.

Commentary: Aoki could probably make bantamweight, "he has the body of a young boy"

After that knee, his balls ascended back into his body like a young boy as well. Apt metaphor.

The rest of round 1 was a wrestling by Aoki.

Round 2 had Cody Stevens getting a yellow card for first kicking and then elbowing Aoki's spine.

Round 3 starts with some cartwheel kick poo poo from cody Stevens.

For a fight with so many fouls and a cartwheel kick, it's mostly a boring wrestlefucking from Aoki. And that terrible fight ends with Aoki taking a faceplant after being bucked off Steven's back.

Winner: Aoki by decision; Loser: Aoki's spine and balls. Aoki credits his warrior spiritu for overcoming the knee to the balls.

Fight 7 & The Main Event: Bibiano Fernandes (Interim Champion) vs Soo Chul Kim (Champion) - Unification bout.

Bibiano is considered the best non-UFC bantamweight in the world and the best fighter in OneFC by a long shot. This should be a really one sided beating.

The korean opened with a gong & dash and then spent the next 4 and a half minutes being wrestled by Bibs.

Round 2 - Nothing happened, bibiano does more wrestling and a bit of ground and pound but nothing substantial. Kim doesn't really seem to have anything for him. If the next 3 rounds look like this, that'll suck.

Round 3 - zzzzzzzz Kim looking better this round, still boring. Bibiano got cut from an elbow, Kim still has nothing for him on the ground. Loses every scramble.

Round 4: Kim got a takedown, didn't do anything with it. Kim landed a pretty cool elbow and tried some spinning poo poo. First round that I think you could argue he won. I really don't think this is going to be a finish from either guy. Kim lands some good body shots near the end of the round, think he solidly takes the round.

Round 5: Kim took what looked like a headbutt to the cock early on in the round, recovered quickly. Nothing really happened in that round. Kim looked either REALLY PISSED or REALLY PUMPED after the last bell, hit the fence and threw his mouthpiece on the ground.

It goes to the judges.

Winner by unanimous decision: Undisputed BW champion, Bibiano Fernandes. Kim is crying.

Bibiano won a weird looking chair, attempted to console a weeping Kim during his interview.

The OneFC belt looks really cool.

Kim is being interviewed but he's sobbing and it's making the interview really awkward. Between this and TUF, there's been more MMA-man tears than I'm comfortable with.

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 18, 2013

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuriy posted:

One FC: Total Domination is starting now! If you're up early and wanna watch the closest thing to jmma left, join me in #mma.

The first fight is between a wushu champion who did some sick katas and posed a lot before his walk out versus a Cambodian with a martial art I've never heard of who is a "Fighter looking to get out of his father's shadow in the One FC cage"

I'm not watching this, but I want to know the outcome

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

I'm not watching this, but I want to know the outcome

Since I think I'm the only person watching this, I'm just gonna keep it to editing that first post you quoted.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuriy posted:

Since I think I'm the only person watching this, I'm just gonna keep it to editing that first post you quoted.

Jesus thank you that was awesome

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The Aoki fight is about to start on One FC

#mma for discussion

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
just hopped in. did somebody get hit in the nardicles.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

david carmichael posted:

just hopped in. did somebody get hit in the nardicles.

aoki's balls got kneed real hard

And now Cody Stevens got a yellow card after kicking and elbowing Aoki's spine.

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 18, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Stevens is going to finish the job Sotiropolous started

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Stevens is going to finish the job Sotiropolous started

At least Aoki's already got a kid.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

OneFC was pretty cool except for the Aoki fight which sucked

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Additional Japanese B-League Update!

Sunday, October 20th

DEEP Tribe Tokyo Fight - 4:30AM EDT - $15 ippv at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/deep-official

Card: http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/20101-deep-tribe-tokyo-fight

asianmma.com posted:

DEEP join the realm of iPPV with TRIBE TOKYO FIGHT

JMMA fans have be clamoring for it and now they’ll finally get it, as DEEP will broadcast a major card world wide via UStream and what a card it is!

The main event will see Ryo Chonan challenge Dan Hornbuckle for the DEEP WW Title in Chonan’s retirement fight, as well as Yoshiro Maeda vs. Mamoru Yamaguchi, Yasuhiro Urushitani vs. Matheus Nicholau Pereira, Takenori Sato vs. Ismael de Jesus and Yuya Shirai vs. Akihiro Murayama, just to name a few!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

individual865 posted:

Additional Japanese B-League Update!

Sunday, October 20th

DEEP Tribe Tokyo Fight - 4:30AM EDT - $15 ippv at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/deep-official

Card: http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/20101-deep-tribe-tokyo-fight

Dan "Meathead Mechanic" Hornbuckle vs. Ryo "Literally might be part fish my God just look at his face" Chonan

Also that play by play ruled and should happen for more events. Seriously.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I guess there's two oplot cards this weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YYA7uExDo

Starts at 2 EST.

As always, #mma for discussion and supperweight mocking

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

There's a "Master of Breakdance" whose pre-fight vignette is him doing some sick dance moves/fighting like Mac from Sunny

Oplot is getting English announcing and post-fight interviews, they gave their US youtube viewers a shout out.

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Captain Log posted:

Dan "Meathead Mechanic" Hornbuckle vs. Ryo "Literally might be part fish my God just look at his face" Chonan

Also that play by play ruled and should happen for more events. Seriously.

Son of a bitch, that is supposed to say Methhead Mechanic.

Iphones don't do drugs.