Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It's not that difficult either if you A) Know what the gently caress you're doing and B) Set the environment up right.

I get so tired of lovely admins that don't know what they're doing, or companies that won't fund their critical infrastructure properly. The worst end user experience during our email migration was having to restart Outlook. Maybe I'm loving spoiled or something because my company isn't afraid to spend money on IT. Our Office365 E3 sub costs us drat near 7 figures a year.

Pretty much the entirety of my career as been with lovely companies that wont spend money, including some that wont even let their IT staff work outside 9-5 as they don't trust them to lock the building when done. I've spent my time trying to get as close to doing it right as possible and making things happen with what I have available, and I'm pretty drat good at it. Of

You're lucky to work for a place that is willing to invest. But don't knock those who are forced to work with what they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

In the last twenty years, having worked for exactly one company that has existed longer than five years, I got a perverse delight in the optimism involved around creating 10 year, 20 year and Permanent folders.

More like:

Inbox
_Crazy Months
_Good Years
_Fading Hopes
_Oh Please Buy Us
_I'm the last guy here. Guess I'll burn this to DVD and shut the lights off now.
It's a local government, they'll be around for a while.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
About 200ish users... I was absolutely ecstatic the day we migrated to Google Apps. The month after migrating we made a big push to get almost everyone off local email clients and to the web interface. Nearly all preferred the web interface once we got them to use it. As it stands only 2 special snowflakes still use Outlook. Google Apps provides a 30GB per user storage limit (shared across all Google Apps services). We don't bug users until they get within a few % of that limit.

Our business is not subject to any legal retention requirements, which makes things so much easier.

We make fairly heavy use of Google's ecosystem. Some users have even moved towards using Google Docs over their local office installations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Agrikk posted:

Inbox
_Crazy Months
_Good Years
_Fading Hopes
_Oh Please Buy Us
_I'm the last guy here. Guess I'll burn this to DVD and shut the lights off now.

Startup life!

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

TWBalls posted:

For us, the only way you're going to get a 400MB Inbox is if you're on the Admin team. Directors top off @ 300MB, end users most often top off at 50MB but, I've seen go as high as 100MB depending on their role. Standard Inbox is 20MB, which is where mine is. We're expected to put poo poo into PST's or delete.

code:
Folder - Size    - Total Size (including subfolders)
Inbox  - 3294 KB - 1271637 KB
That's two weeks worth of emails. I used to be on a 512MB quota and I'd be archiving twice weekly, once I got put onto the general staff quota of 2GB I could drop that down to monthly. (Of course the real problem is 1257725KB of that are logging emails that I need to try and glance through to see if they're reporting errors since out logging is loving awful and reports either everything or nothing depending on the application).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I haven't deleted an email (other than automated alerts) so I've got 6 years of email. Gmail shows me as having 92k messages, and that takes up 1.11GB of space.

I literally don't know how I could function if email got deleted after 90 days. There's so much policy and procedure that lives exclusivly in email, if I wasn't able to look any of that up I think the whole organization would just fall over.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This might be a record, at least for me:

code:
Query OK, 504 rows affected (4 min 55.59 sec)
Query would have hit the long query killer in a bit less than 5 seconds, at any rate.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

I haven't deleted an email (other than automated alerts) so I've got 6 years of email. Gmail shows me as having 92k messages, and that takes up 1.11GB of space.

I literally don't know how I could function if email got deleted after 90 days. There's so much policy and procedure that lives exclusivly in email, if I wasn't able to look any of that up I think the whole organization would just fall over.

I just looked at my archive PST and I have 14 years worth of email (almost 27GB). I regularly search back through stuff that is years old for things that people ask for, 90 days is crazy short, we don't even finish a single project in 90 days.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
poo poo that pisses me off for some reason, people who never clean their poo poo.

Every time a laptop gets passed to me after a staff member leaves, or someone needs me to fix something they're always smeared in dust, hair and hand grease.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

theperminator posted:

poo poo that pisses me off for some reason, people who never clean their poo poo.

Every time a laptop gets passed to me after a staff member leaves, or someone needs me to fix something they're always smeared in dust, hair and hand grease.

It's cum. It's always cum.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/17/francis-maude-own-wifi-network-rubbish-westminster-it

quote:

Francis Maude, the Cabinet Office minister, is so frustrated with the state of government IT that he has installed his own Wi-Fi network in his Westminster office.

Maude had the wireless network set up “so he can use his phone and iPad in his office”, according to a source close to the minister quoted by the Daily Telegraph’s Georgia Graham, who quotes a source as saying the Cabinet Office’s systems are “clunky” and “rubbish”.

Those "rubbish" systems cost about £7,000 per employee, and are designed with government security in mind.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Just to rub things in, I happen to know from 2 sources that there's absolutely no security on any of the iDevices, not even the most basic (and easily worked around) MDM.
There was originally a commitment to evaluate the different MDM providers before allowing devices to be used (as in, this is what government ministers were told would be happening) but Call-Me-Dave seems to like the "Prime Minister's control centre" app he has for his iPad that that all got thrown out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yesterday I finally deleted a computer from the domain that hadn't been online in over a year, no one could locate it. I was even on-site this week and looked for it, no dice. Presumed lost/disposed.

Today someone calls me to say they can't log into it. :bang:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Today is 'talk about how much Windows 8.1 sucks even though nobody has installed it yet'

:words:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Today is 'talk about how much Windows 8.1 sucks even though nobody has installed it yet'

:words:

Windows 8.1 killed my first born! :argh:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Windows 8.1 killed my first born! :argh:

8.1 pisses me off because it's taunting me :argh:

My personal laptop had 8 on it, but I put a new hard drive in it and therefore have no recovery partition, and there's no product key listed on the back of the laptop. So I'm stuck running an evaluation copy of 8 Enterprise until I figure out what I'm going to do

I just want a drat start button :argh:

edit-- god drat it I just discovered that Windows 8 OEM keys are embedded in the BIOS so all I have to do is install 8 Standard and it'll auto-detect. I'm a dummy.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 18, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

QPZIL posted:

Windows 8.1: Start Button

:microsoft:

Is there anything else compelling about 8.1?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Native 3d printing support? :shrug:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

evol262 posted:

The Metro/Start screen can now use your desktop wallpaper for a background ... looks a hell of a lot nicer and more seamless. Small thing that should have been there from the beginning. That's all I've got.

I didn't give half a poo poo about the Start button. Still could click in the corner.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

evol262 posted:

Turning off the loving charms bar hot corners.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I cya so loving hard when it comes to emails. I archive everything that's plain text, and if there's a attachment, I download the attachment to the local server, and resend the email chain (once it's done) to myself without the attachment.

3 years worth of emails is less than 100megs. :smug:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Yesterday I finally deleted a computer from the domain that hadn't been online in over a year, no one could locate it. I was even on-site this week and looked for it, no dice. Presumed lost/disposed.

I hope you asked them where they've been for the last year plus.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I tried to install 8.1 last night, and it wouldn't. I just had to hard boot my laptop, luckily it rolled back. Decided to use the opportunity to put in a new bigger SSD today and do a clean install. I do one, and discover my Windows 8 key is only for upgrading. Format and install Windows 7, install Windows 8, install Media Center and updates, upgrade to Windows 8.1 from web, now copying stuff from my old SSD and trying to gather drivers for a computer that was made for 8 months and then never again (Studio XPS 13, I love it to death and will kill anyone who says anything bad about it!).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
gently caress ZEBRA PRINTERS.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

I tried to install 8.1 last night, and it wouldn't. I just had to hard boot my laptop, luckily it rolled back. Decided to use the opportunity to put in a new bigger SSD today and do a clean install. I do one, and discover my Windows 8 key is only for upgrading. Format and install Windows 7, install Windows 8, install Media Center and updates, upgrade to Windows 8.1 from web, now copying stuff from my old SSD and trying to gather drivers for a computer that was made for 8 months and then never again (Studio XPS 13, I love it to death and will kill anyone who says anything bad about it!).

You can install Windows 8 on a blank hard drive with an upgrade key. Do the initial install without a key, change one registry entry, then enter your key. It's pretty easy.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Sirotan posted:

mission still accomplished.

Last night's annoyance: It was absolutely URGENT that an oracle RAC get built. But not urgent enough that we wake up network engineers to fix the network that they did not provision correctly, therefore ruining my plans for last evening.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nitrogen posted:

mission still accomplished.

It's true. I'm not sure which lesson I should be learning from this: that disable is better than delete or that disabling access on things is a better way to get compliance than sending a friendly email asking for information.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Both lessons are important, but never underestimate the usefulness of disabling a computer/someone's account to force them to talk to you.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Does anyone know if it is legal for a company to randomly poll all employees requesting/requiring their college transcripts?

You can guess what is pissing me off. I've been here for ~2 years and out of the blue they are "auditing" everyone.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

the spyder posted:

Does anyone know if it is legal for a company to randomly poll all employees requesting/requiring their college transcripts?

You can guess what is pissing me off. I've been here for ~2 years and out of the blue they are "auditing" everyone.

Why wouldn't that be done when you are hired? Confirming your education isn't illegal, especially if you have had claimed to have a degree.

Education audits are a good thing. A am willing to bet there are more people than you think out there who claim degrees they don't actually possess.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 18, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

the spyder posted:

That actually happened this week to me too. And 3.5 years. I was told it was for "education verification".

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Education audits are a good thing.

Why? My education level isn't going to go down during my period of employment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhymenoserous posted:

To see if you're lying about your degree I assume.

Mind you, if they can't tell the difference between someone with a degree or without, it's probably not a good metric.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

It would if you claimed to have something you didn't. (not saying you did)

The last two jobs I had did not verify certifications, although they did verify degrees. Some places don't take the time to verify degrees due to laziness.

I would imagine that someone realized that some employees might have been pulling fast ones on the company and decided to do an audit. Although its pretty incompetent to not have stuff on file already.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would be more than willing to give them a copy of my degree but no way in hell is anybody ever looking at my horrible transcript.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I would be more than willing to give them a copy of my degree but no way in hell is anybody ever looking at my horrible transcript.

I am pretty sure every college has someone you can talk to that will confirm your degree without the need to disclose your entire transcript.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

It would be fun if a job asked me to verify my education. I think my high school diploma is around here somewhere.......

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Sickening posted:

Why wouldn't that be done when you are hired? Confirming your education isn't illegal, especially if you have had claimed to have a degree.

Education audits are a good thing. A am willing to bet there are more people than you think out there who claim degrees they don't actually possess.

I never went to university, nor did I ever claim to. They still wanted a *HIGH SCHOOL* transcript, though, which i found silly, but they got one.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

QPZIL posted:

My personal laptop had 8 on it, but I put a new hard drive in it and therefore have no recovery partition, and there's no product key listed on the back of the laptop. So I'm stuck running an evaluation copy of 8 Enterprise until I figure out what I'm going to do

edit-- god drat it I just discovered that Windows 8 OEM keys are embedded in the BIOS so all I have to do is install 8 Standard and it'll auto-detect. I'm a dummy.

I was working on a laptop and they put the key sticker UNDER the battery in the battery compartment -- talk about the most unintuitive place to put a COA. It was an HP Envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
My first job asked me for my SAT scores. :raise:

That said, they're pretty drat weird in general.