Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Voting A.

Let's not do this now. I don't want to pass out again. And I don't feel like attracting attention of monsters or demons.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I also highly advise against putting out our fire. We went through hell to get that y'all. Why put it out? We can always practice this somewhere else.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FoxTerrier posted:

In that case, I'm super-extra voting Aw Hell No for practicing El magic we don't understand. By the beach. Under a hungry Ashera moon.

gently caress that poo poo. We have a long trip inland to get our fire starting badge if we want. Dabbling right now is a terrible, terrible idea way too likely to attract the wrong kind of attention. Or at least tire us out before monsters start doing their full-moon-mambo.

(I'm assuming I'm remembering correctly Ashera is more powerful under a full moon. But even if I'm remembering wrong, it's still a terrible idea. Seriously you goons, just wait like two weeks. :colbert:)

seconding this, we've more than done enough to complete our task, let's get the hell out of dodge.

Voting timeskip to when we're within sight of Zepath, unless something eventful happens on our journey back.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Asherah, you were taught, is just as omnipotent and hungry under a full moon as all other times. Asherah being stronger under a full moon is a theory posted in the thread. Some rituals were timed to the moon, some were not.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Everyone is being pretty persuasive. Changing my vote to A, but only because we're near the ocean on a full moon. We'll get plenty of chances later, but I'm strongly opposed to attempting any sort of magic within sight of Zepath, though.

Diogines posted:

Asherah being stronger under a full moon is a theory posted in the thread.

...ah. Guess I'll leave my vote changed anyway. The ocean's edge is still a bad place to screw up.

*edit* Sorry. Changed again.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 19, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Voting A. Overall if we're going to be experimenting with magic, I'd prefer for it to be in a controlled environment where we can prepare for as much as possible if things go south somehow. While we're in a reasonably comfortable situation right now, the possibility of being hit with mega-hunger and getting knocked out is still not a great one when we're trying to survive in the wild. And that's leaving aside the possibility of Asherah mucking things up, of course - full moon or no we're a wee bit too close to his territory for comfort.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Voting A because I suspect this has something to do with the plurality of votes and we just don't have it here.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Once again, voting A. There is no reason to do this; the benefit of finding out right now is zilch.

Can't we just try to learn the secrets of it once we are safely back home? Maybe ask an expert about it, like Ishamal or *gasp* Bareen? Tudiya is likely to tell us again it is impossible for us to do - why not utilize our resources after the test is over to help us figure it out in a much safer manner? I just don't get the urgent need to do it right now when we already have fire and a drat good offerring in the pearls and are months from home and our only safety net is Divine Uncle Jorah and Snarls.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Diog are temple rites for El also carried out on the full moon? Atharian calendar was lunar it seems. Is Elisian calendar also lunar?

Also, what exactly is 'moral agency' which apparently distinguishes adults from children in some way?

A for me too.

I, for my part, do not think Asherah is necessarily more powerful on a full moon. I do think a full moon is an occasion for observance. It is not a good time to be lying unconscious in the wilderness. We don't know much about any of this, but we do know that losing consciousness is a distinct possibility of succeeding with an invocation. It also seems to weaken us and we do not actually need a fire since we have one. It is therefore not a good use of resource on the full moon, though it was good to try and we should do so again. Even succeeding could put us in a bad, vulnerable spot at a time we might want to be in exactly the opposite position.

That said, I am all for a moonlight swim. It is possible the sea bed will look very different in the moonlight.

I am also for carrying out a somewhat more extensive rite on the altar under the moon.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2013

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I want to practice magic, but it made us vulnerable before. It seems prudent to wait until we're in a safer place. Maybe Ishamal has some advice on the matter, our number one bro.

A

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

FoxTerrier posted:

In that case, I'm super-extra voting Aw Hell No for practicing El magic we don't understand. By the beach. Under a hungry Ashera moon.

gently caress that poo poo. We have a long trip inland to get our fire starting badge if we want. Dabbling right now is a terrible, terrible idea way too likely to attract the wrong kind of attention. Or at least tire us out before monsters start doing their full-moon-mambo.

(I'm assuming I'm remembering correctly Ashera is more powerful under a full moon. But even if I'm remembering wrong, it's still a terrible idea. Seriously you goons, just wait like two weeks. :colbert:)

This.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C - Sheer force of will/authority. This Vayahi WILL Or because we El-damned told it to.

My theory: I think it works for Tudiya, not only because of his bloodline, but because he knows it will work.
He ostensibly spent his whole childhood being told "Here is a list of cool poo poo that you can do because of your bloodline. It will happen because fire knows to show some respect to you."

Basically, he speaks with El-given authority that he KNOWS he has. Whether he was actually given that authority or not doesn't matter, he KNOWS he was and there is not a single iota of doubt in his mind, so he's able to out-will it.

We, on the other hand, are riddled with doubt and the belief that what we're trying is stupid, even as we continue to do it in the hopes that we CAN do it.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

FoxTerrier posted:

A-yup.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

the_steve posted:

C - Sheer force of will/authority. This Vayahi WILL Or because we El-damned told it to.

My theory: I think it works for Tudiya, not only because of his bloodline, but because he knows it will work.
He ostensibly spent his whole childhood being told "Here is a list of cool poo poo that you can do because of your bloodline. It will happen because fire knows to show some respect to you."

Basically, he speaks with El-given authority that he KNOWS he has. Whether he was actually given that authority or not doesn't matter, he KNOWS he was and there is not a single iota of doubt in his mind, so he's able to out-will it.

We, on the other hand, are riddled with doubt and the belief that what we're trying is stupid, even as we continue to do it in the hopes that we CAN do it.

Voting this. We can do it cause we know we can do it. Although there may be a certain amount of need in there too.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

the_steve posted:

This.

And try to breathe out this time Enkidel, will you?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
A, and let's sleep in a tree tonight. I have a bad feeling about a full moon. Keep the fire going and sleep a little ways away so we can see anybody or anything that drops by.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Alternate theory C. This fire will work if El wants it to. Tudiya did not making fire happen, he asked for El to make fire happen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A wrong time and place

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Maybe if we are going to go for something like Vayahi Or we should focus on being receptive to a vision without having to violently knock ourselves unconscious.

Also, personally I don't want us to be king. Seems like a sucky job. Equally I don't want us to be wealthy. Comes with all sorts of encumbrance. Essentially I do not want us to become a domestic installation in Zepath. Surviving to encounter any such questions is really the first order at the moment though.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 19, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

the_steve posted:

Voting this.

Don't be stupid, goons. We got knocked out last time because we hit our head. We have no reason to believe Asherah is any more dangerous now than he always is. We should practice this now because we may need it at short notice later. There's a good chance that if we try to do this at home we'll be forced to stop because it offends some of the incredibly varied sensibilities around there.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

the_steve posted:

Eh fine, changing vote from A to this. I don't buy any of the A arguments honestly.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

the_steve posted:

Sure. This

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

dyzzy posted:

Eh fine, changing vote from A to this. I don't buy any of the A arguments honestly.

No real reason to do it now, rather than later in secure surroundings with people who might help or have insight, and getting knocked out accidentally for half a day is, at best, wasteful and at worst lethal?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A, play wizard on another night.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
I'm voting C but I think that we shouldn't say "Vayahi Or".

I think we're focusing too much on the words, rather than the action itself. Just have total focus on the task and execute it. Pick up the sticks and know that they will ignite.

We have never had any ability to project our words as Tudiya can, but we seem to be able to feel the power of words and almost touch them. I think we may have a potentially greater ability to harness or at least manipulate the power of others. Simply saying the words is not enough though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Theglavwen posted:

No real reason to do it now, rather than later in secure surroundings with people who might help or have insight, and getting knocked out accidentally for half a day is, at best, wasteful and at worst lethal?

I'm not sure anyone in Zepath would be both capable and willing to teach us. Also, this time we're on a nice and soft beach.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If we're worried about people in Zepath trying to stop us, we can try setting up an isolated shanty/cave lab in the outskirts of Zepath where it should still be mostly safe from monsters. In said lab we can prepare plenty of food/drink/pillows in case of possible side effects if we get knocked out again, plenty of wood to experiment with, and perhaps above all we can lock the door or else set up some kind of defensive barrier.

Currently, we are in a monster-infested wild living more or less hand-to-mouth on what we can find for ourselves. Since it's about afternoon, odds are if we get knocked out again we'll wake up at night. Even supposing we are successful at this, and even supposing that Asherah doesn't give a drat about it, do we really want to be unconscious next to a blazing fire out in the open (we're not setting this fire from within our lean-to, I'm presuming) only to wake up with a big ol' bout of HUNGER and then go hunting in the middle of the night?

It's not just the hunger. It's not just the fact that we might get knocked out. It's not just Asherah. It's also the giant lizards and whatnot poking around the area who might decide that some unconscious human lying around where everyone can see him might make for a tasty snack.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Diogines posted:

You...
A. Give up and go back to your normal routine.

We Vayahi Or'd because El smiled upon us. We didn't work magic, we said a prayer, and El listened, because we NEEDED it.

We don't NEED it right now, and we're not tight like Tudiya is with El.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Next update in the morning. You can expect a second one later in the day tomorrow.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

the_steve posted:

drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

(We probably need close to 80% votes for this to work. Unanimity)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

the_steve posted:

I like this. I'm voting this.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

Ok, changing my vote to this. I like it. I forgot about my policy to generally do interesting things versus lame babby things.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

the_steve posted:

Fine fine I'll change my vote to THIS in the interests of testing unanimity theory.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's going to work because it worked before, the reason it isn't working is because we have doubt, because we think it shouldn't work. But we KNOW it will work because it works. So just do it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

the_steve posted:

I'll join the bandwagon and vote this.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A. Give up and go back to your normal routine.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Changing to C.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I'm not sure if the swing vote is going to help much.

For reference, the vote when we actually did magic: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjGhkGMc8GAwdDd1Qzk0X1dvSUg0eHlGSVpFU2RvN2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

20/24 votes were for doing the fire.

What we were thinking was a resounding "Can't let snarls down" at 10, "I WILL make fire" at 7. Rest was scattered gently caress YOU I WANT FIRE, ELLLL. Only 1 vote out of 29 was doubting ourselves.

Other reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=198#post420431486

Also the vote before that also had a determination check. We voted for "It might work" as the majority, rest of the vote was spread out over It will work and other stuff like that. We also prayed to El and believed that it would help. We also voted and said we want it to work because we (enkidel) are cold.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 19, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I had intended to update about now, but since people are changing their votes and still debating, I will leave voting open a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I'm voting A. Hey guys, what if we aren't a muscle wizard... :ohdear: