Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

jhorphear posted:

I agree that roasting my own would be best. And i have been watching videos on how to break down a chicken, so i guess i am just working up to it. Does anyone have any tips on how to make a good roasted chicken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

Seriously, salt and pepper inside and out the chicken, throw it in a hot oven (425+) for ~50-60 minutes. Use a thermometer to pull when it's up to temp (i shoot for 165 at the thickest part of the breast and thigh). Let it sit covered for about 10-15 minutes.

It's that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

jhorphear posted:

I agree that roasting my own would be best. And i have been watching videos on how to break down a chicken, so i guess i am just working up to it. Does anyone have any tips on how to make a good roasted chicken?

Salt the skin a few hours before eating, put uncovered into the fridge. When you take it out rinse it off and pat it dry.

Lots of garlic and butter under the skin.

Rub melted butter on the skin and sprinkle with Old Bay or your other favorite seasonsings

Start at normal heat and crank it way the hell up in the past ~10 minutes

I don't know if vegetables inside truly contribute a lot but I do them anyway, carrots and onions mostly, and more garlic

Learn to make a gravy from the drippings.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Thanks for the advice! I will have to give that a try on my next chicken. I still have yet to attempt to make stock, but I think i will give that a try on this next chicken.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I find the bandoleer of thighs have an incredible amount of fat on them, to the point where I feel like I'm cutting more of the package away than I'd like to. Also the girlfriend doesn't like dark meat but that's besides the point.

Also jhorphear, why not roast your own chickens? I find the result is way better and you can get a lot more meat for cheaper. I do grab the pre-done birds when I'm in a hurry and I can stretch it over a few days, but roasting it yourself is a bit cheaper and lets you get some really great flavors.

I jump on whole chickens when they go on sale and have a bunch in my freezer. My threshold for buying chicken is ~.89/lb in the bay area. Chicken can do ok in the crockpot too if you take the skin off.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Where the fffffuck are you finding chicken for $0.89/lb in the bay area :byodood:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Safeway, sales prices. Wait, then buy em up. Just don't come to my safeway. I'll cut you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ah, ok. Main difference I noticed between east coast and west coast is that meat prices are cray in the west. Not even costco has it that low. Gonna have to keep an eye out when I move back :ninja:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

I jump on whole chickens when they go on sale and have a bunch in my freezer. My threshold for buying chicken is ~.89/lb in the bay area. Chicken can do ok in the crockpot too if you take the skin off.

I actually do it in the crockpot with skin on because I'm a rebel, but I find that the conveinence doens't really make up for having to put in a ton of work to separate the resultant pile of chicken into edible and non-edible

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

M42 posted:

Ah, ok. Main difference I noticed between east coast and west coast is that meat prices are cray in the west. Not even costco has it that low. Gonna have to keep an eye out when I move back :ninja:

You can get whole chickens for that price on the east coast (suburbs of boston). Gotta pay attention to stop n shop's weekly deals and such, but it comes up sometimes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh yeah, I know, I lived in Boston for 13 years. Which is why when I moved to the bay area and saw regular chicken for like, what super mondo organic gold fed chicken would go for on the east coast I was like :wth: $8/lb? Get the gently caress outta heah

Cheapass veggies and fruit year round evens that out, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

M42 posted:

Oh yeah, I know, I lived in Boston for 13 years. Which is why when I moved to the bay area and saw regular chicken for like, what super mondo organic gold fed chicken would go for on the east coast I was like :wth: $8/lb? Get the gently caress outta heah

Cheapass veggies and fruit year round evens that out, though.

...hoo boy, that's why I shouldn't post while tired. I read your post in opposite land and thought you were having trouble finding cheap chicken on the east coast.

Good luck, and stay off BART right now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

silvergoose posted:

You can get whole chickens for that price on the east coast (suburbs of boston). Gotta pay attention to stop n shop's weekly deals and such, but it comes up sometimes.

$1 or less at Market Basket supremacy.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

When you cook a whole chicken, I suggest that you put more salt on it than you think you want. I always put way too little because I'm not not super into using salt, but that poo poo makes the skin crisp up like crazy if you actually use enough.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

God dammit, you jerks are making me want to run out and buy a chicken to roast when I just bought this giant 10lb lump of pork shoulder the other day. :argh:

Me and the girlfriendfiance are getting married at the end of June, and we decided that as one of the favors for the reception, we're going to make batches of our own barbeque spice rub to give to people. We're at the stage where we're going to try a bunch of different recipes to get ideas, and then pick our favorite and modify it until we have perfection.

The process we'll be using is to take a small ~1/3rd lb chunk of shoulder, coat with rub, refrigerate 8 hours/overnight. Roast at 425 for 15 minutes, then turn down to 325 and continue internal temp is ~180-185.

For starting recipes, we're gonna try all of the recipes on this page and figure out which one we like best, and modify that till it's perfect. There's 10 recipes there, and we figure we can do at least 2 per day, maybe 3.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I did my first roasted chicken a few weeks ago and it came out pretty good, wonderfully crispy skin thanks to the butter and salt I rubbed on the skin. Some questions though:
A good part of the neck was still on the bird. Most pictures I see of roasters have the neck removed down to the wishbone. I cut off as much as I could with some shears before cooking. Correct?

What are some "poor good food" things to do with the giblets? Can I freeze the liver for pâté later? I wasn't feeling adventurous so these went in the trash.

Can I still use the carcass for stock even if it's been roasted?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neptr posted:

I did my first roasted chicken a few weeks ago and it came out pretty good, wonderfully crispy skin thanks to the butter and salt I rubbed on the skin. Some questions though:
A good part of the neck was still on the bird. Most pictures I see of roasters have the neck removed down to the wishbone. I cut off as much as I could with some shears before cooking. Correct?

What are some "poor good food" things to do with the giblets? Can I freeze the liver for pâté later? I wasn't feeling adventurous so these went in the trash.

I save the giblets and chop up / throw in gravy or directly into stuffing.

Yes, save the carcass for stock! I just toss mine in a grocery bag and pop it into the freezer and throw the rest of the chicken bones in it later in the week as I eat everything then boil that down later.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh, after cooking it, take all the meat you can off of the bird, then make a stock. I think there's a recipe earlier in the thread but if not we can throw one down. Freeze the stock for later.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Neptr posted:

Some questions though:

Bony parts are especially good for saving for stock. This in includes the neck, the backbone, and the wings. If you choose to cut off the neck before cooking, do so just to make it look pretty. Stick the parts you cut off in the roasting pan too and then into the stockpot.

quote:

Giblets are for gravy. Yum. Livers? I don't care for them, but some people do. Great cat or dog treats.

quote:

Absolutely. Not only can you use it, I like to roast the carcass again under the broiler after I've stripped the meat off. Any brown you can put on it is good in general and will add flavor to the resulting stock. Don't forget to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the roasting pan if you haven't already done so to make your gravy.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If lemons are reasonably-priced, I like to quarter one and stick it into the cavity along with some salt and some sprigs of thyme (easy to grow if you have the right window conditions). I don't know how much effect it has on the bird itself but it makes the pan sauce taste lovely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will never, ever understand people just tossing the wings in the stock pot like the wing isn't the most delicious treat on the whole bird. Unless you just mean the wing tips or the bones or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I will never, ever understand people just tossing the wings in the stock pot like the wing isn't the most delicious treat on the whole bird. Unless you just mean the wing tips or the bones or something.

I assume he means the wing tips. When I buy whole wings, I always cut off the wing tips and freeze them until I have a great big bag. They contain a ton of collagen, and will give a lot of body to your stock.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I love buying chicken feet to give body to a stock. They're super cheap at the Asian grocer and then I can menace any passersby with the creepy claws.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just found a local family-run butchers that does really cheap but very good beef steak for stewing, slices of bone-in leg beef, chicken carcasses for stock (good bit of meat still om 'em too) for 1 euro/KG, and yesterday they had a whole pig's head for 3.50.

Woo!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Neptr posted:

Cut the neck and save for stock, save livers and brown them when you have a few to chop and sprinkle over a thick root veggie stew (potato leek, call your office), gizzards can be saved to fry as a great light meal, and roast chicken carcass makes a great stock and I often prefer it to raw chicken stock.

Also, roast chickens over cubed turnip or rutabaga. I use rutabagas because they are cheaper. They are soooooooo good roasted with chicken fat/drippings all over.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 25, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I assume he means the wing tips. When I buy whole wings, I always cut off the wing tips and freeze them until I have a great big bag. They contain a ton of collagen, and will give a lot of body to your stock.

Oh, this I know. People always say it as "wings" and it just seemed weird to me. I hope they're just using the tips and not missing out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, this I know. People always say it as "wings" and it just seemed weird to me. I hope they're just using the tips and not missing out.

I will say though that when I roast a chicken, the wings never make it to the table. That's because as soon as I pull it out of the pan, I pull off the wings and eat them myself. Because dammit I deserve them.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

EVG posted:

I love buying chicken feet to give body to a stock. They're super cheap at the Asian grocer and then I can menace any passersby with the creepy claws.

Hell loving yes. This also has the benefit of being able to weird out my kid when he asks what I got at the store and I give him my very best Deliverance grin and say 'I done got me a big ol' bag of feeeeet'

My son doesn't ask me very many questions anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I will say though that when I roast a chicken, the wings never make it to the table. That's because as soon as I pull it out of the pan, I pull off the wings and eat them myself. Because dammit I deserve them.

I take them off and roast them separately so I don't have to even wait for the bird to finish.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When I get whole chickens I save the drumsticks and wings for "roast chicken and veg" nights, so the drumsticks and wings are the only parts I roast.
The breasts go in stirfries, katsu or schnitzels; and the thighs go in curries or things like cacciatore.
No way would I waste a wing for stock, just the wing tips and scraps left over after deboning a chicken after I first get it home.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Before I went vegetarian as a teenager, the wings were my favorite part. I also like the giblets, and anyone's skin they didn't want. I was the worst kind of meat eater. Chicken giblets wrapped in bacon... delicious. I never knew which organ I was eating and I didn't care.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Before I went vegetarian as a teenager, the wings were my favorite part. I also like the giblets, and anyone's skin they didn't want. I was the worst kind of meat eater. Chicken giblets wrapped in bacon... delicious. I never knew which organ I was eating and I didn't care.

Don't you mean BEST kind? The best part is that everyone else goes "ewwwww" and turns up their nose at those most delectable bits - which means more for me!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

All this chicken talk made me pull one out of the freezer a couple days ago, and it should be ready to cook up after some sink time. I love it because I barely have to use anything other than salt, since I'll just be throwing the parts in pasta or rice later anyway. Aside from the skin, that gets eaten before it's even safely cooled.

Something I only just tried as a super novice cook so it might be new to someone: try putting alfredo sauce in your chicken and rice instead of pasta! You can use a little less, since the rice does such a good job of absorbing it, and rice is always cheaper than pasta!

Question, though: can I just leave the organs in the chicken and let them cook that way, or is it better to cook them separately?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Separately is better. It's already hard enough getting all the meat parts of the bird to cook evenly.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Something I only just tried as a super novice cook so it might be new to someone: try putting alfredo sauce in your chicken and rice instead of pasta! You can use a little less, since the rice does such a good job of absorbing it, and rice is always cheaper than pasta!

Question, though: can I just leave the organs in the chicken and let them cook that way, or is it better to cook them separately?

I cook the organs separately -- kidneys can be soaked in milk, for example, before frying. Hearts benefit from a grilling, and I'm reading that gizzards do also. (I've never tried working the gizzards into things, since the supermarket ones don't usually have them and I've been too distracted to fast my own chickens properly enough to make them easy to harvest.) The organs just seem so well-suited to different uses than the meat, and different cooking styles, that I feel like I get more out of a bird to prepare them separately.

Although to be perfectly honest the cats usually get the shredded and pan-fried kidneys and liver instead of me. They're spoiled.

Taft Punk fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 26, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So yesterday, I bought a pack of bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts with ribs. I also bought a carnival squash and a butternut squash. I plan on roasting everything, and I need a bit of advice on flavor pairing. The squash will be cut in half, seeds scooped out, and baked cavity side up with butter, salt, pepper, and brown sugar in the cavity, until that's tender, then scooped out and either chopped and tossed in the extra glaze, or made into mash depending on how soft it gets. What do you guys think I should stuff under the skin of the chicken to compliment the squash?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

So yesterday, I bought a pack of bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts with ribs. I also bought a carnival squash and a butternut squash. I plan on roasting everything, and I need a bit of advice on flavor pairing. The squash will be cut in half, seeds scooped out, and baked cavity side up with butter, salt, pepper, and brown sugar in the cavity, until that's tender, then scooped out and either chopped and tossed in the extra glaze, or made into mash depending on how soft it gets. What do you guys think I should stuff under the skin of the chicken to compliment the squash?

Butter, thyme.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hmm, maybe add some chopped fresh garlic to it as well? How about parsley?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

For some reason I'm thinking nutmeg

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
How can I go about planning cheap meals for six while keeping dietary restrictions in mind? We have one diabetic and an onion allergy/intolerance, so it gets pretty tricky to make things everyone can eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebellum
May 15, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

How can I go about planning cheap meals for six while keeping dietary restrictions in mind? We have one diabetic and an onion allergy/intolerance, so it gets pretty tricky to make things everyone can eat.

I highly recommend The Prudent Homemaker. She cooks with whole foods so it should be easy to work around dietary restrictions, and she is the queen of cheap cooking. She somehow manages to cook for a family of 8 on less than $3 a day. That's $3 for ALL of them.