Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

There's no saving in I am the Night mode, that would kind of defeat the whole point.

Did they really say that? Every other "hardcore" mode generally allows saving, it just deletes/marks/otherwise disables your save after you fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

Did they really say that? Every other "hardcore" mode generally allows saving, it just deletes/marks/otherwise disables your save after you fail.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if they didn't at least keep a running autosave that deletes when you die. I can't imagine they'd make you play the whole game in one sitting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Terminally Bored posted:

Not sure if this was posted but here's an AMA with two Arkham Origins single-player devs: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1olm9z/we_are_eric_holmes_and_ben_mattes_game_devs_of/

Speaking of difficult achievements:

That achievement owns and I plan on going for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

There's no saving in I am the Night mode, that would kind of defeat the whole point.

I don't see anywhere it says you have to complete the whole thing in one sitting. That would be ridiculous.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I love Riddler's character and performance. I just think they tried to make him a serious threat in a lazy way, with the threat of implied violence.

I'll say this: beating all of that smug fucker's challenges in City was worth it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

raditts posted:

I don't see anywhere it says you have to complete the whole thing in one sitting. That would be ridiculous.

My bad, when the mode was announced all the sites that reported on it said that there were no saves, but it turned out to be misinformation.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Riddler has had a billion different incarnations - with several authors trying to turn him into THE NEWEST DEADLIEST THREAT.

Which never worked.

The most underused Riddler-portrayal was probably back in Paul Dini's run a few years ago. The Riddler claimed to be reformed and opened up a detective agency that directly competed with Batman's Justice-ing.

Its up there with "Penguin now runs a high class high-crime lounge" as great additions to the Gotham mythos.

That said, I loved all of Arkham City's crazy riddles - because a good chunk of them required all the gadgets I waited until I had finished the game to really dive in. It was like an entire second game for FREE, forcing me to use Batman's skillsets in crazy new ways.

The only real disappointment was the utterly lame placement of Catwoman's Riddler Trophies which were almost always just laying around like day-old baguettes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't like he was hugely dangerous in AC though. He kidnapped people but Batman stopped every single thing he tried without overly large amounts of effort. Considering the rest of the villains get successful murders or plots under their belt, he's still a chump.

The very best thing about New Game+ (if you've already collected all the riddles) is that Riddler goes from,"You'll never solve my riddles, Dark Knight :smug:" to "Oh God the Dark Knight has solved all my riddles! :derp:" in the space of like 10 minutes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

Speaking of difficult achievements:
Unless they do something obtrusive with cloud saves this will be easy to circumvent on the PC.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The only real disappointment was the utterly lame placement of Catwoman's Riddler Trophies which were almost always just laying around like day-old baguettes.

Catwoman was in my opinion hands down the worst part of Arkham City. Playing as her wasn't as fun as batman. All her story stuff was pointless and I'm sad that all pc copies had her cause I would have prefered the game with out those parts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

randombattle posted:

Catwoman was in my opinion hands down the worst part of Arkham City. Playing as her wasn't as fun as batman. All her story stuff was pointless and I'm sad that all pc copies had her cause I would have prefered the game with out those parts.

I definitely preferred played as Batman, but I thought her combat portions were excellent. I do have to say that Predator mode and traversing the city weren't as enjoyable/intuitive as they were for Batman though, and I'm glad her non-optional sections were kept fairly short.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Combat as Catwoman was fun, but just about everything else about that particular character was awful and I'd be pleased if she never showed up ever again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MMAgCh posted:

Combat as Catwoman was fun, but just about everything else about that particular character was awful and I'd be pleased if she never showed up ever again.

For me, switching between Batman and Catwoman back and forth would throw me off because I was used to moving around as Batman so then traveling as Catwoman felt like your wings were clipped.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
After reading through the Injustice comics and seeing the in-game cutscenes I really wish there could be a Batman-focused game that involved more of the DC universe. Move outside of Arkham and Gotham City and include allies outside of the Bat family. Something like a Justice League game but with Batman as the central character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Action Tortoise posted:

For me, switching between Batman and Catwoman back and forth would throw me off because I was used to moving around as Batman so then traveling as Catwoman felt like your wings were clipped.

Her movement system with timing the jumps was cool, but it didn't really do much. I would have liked to see it as a way to keep your combo going while you get a bit of space from your enemies. Something like each "Perfect!" counted like a hit in a combo so you could vanish really quickly and come back to attack someone else without losing any freeflow moves you want to use.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Eddain posted:

After reading through the Injustice comics and seeing the in-game cutscenes I really wish there could be a Batman-focused game that involved more of the DC universe. Move outside of Arkham and Gotham City and include allies outside of the Bat family. Something like a Justice League game but with Batman as the central character.

There's Lego Batman 2.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eddain posted:

Rocksteady's next gen project may end up being something like this.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Eddain posted:

The issue would be that then the people who are more fans of the other Leaguers would be complaining that Batman's the main focus. Some fans are adamant Batman shouldn't even be a member of the Justice League. I agree with you that it'd be awesome, but I bet it'd piss off a lot of people.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Beeez posted:

The issue would be that then the people who are more fans of the other Leaguers would be complaining that Batman's the main focus. Some fans are adamant Batman shouldn't even be a member of the Justice League. I agree with you that it'd be awesome, but I bet it'd piss off a lot of people.

They could make a game where he breaks off from the League and starts up the Outsiders. He could add other characters to his group like Shepard in Mass Effect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Action Tortoise posted:

They could make a game where he breaks off from the League and starts up the Outsiders. He could add other characters to his group like Shepard in Mass Effect.

A Batman game that's literally Mass Effect but with involved brawling and gadgets instead of shooting would be amazing. With Yakuza 5 not coming out here the time is right.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
That'd be pretty cool. It could also potentially be a Batman Incorporated thing instead of the Outsiders.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, trying to reteach myself how to play Asylum (and later City) using a controller instead of M/KB feels weird as hell, it's going to take me awhile to get that same instinctive feel that I got from the (hundreds!) of hours I put into them using m/kb.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know how you got good with the mouse and keyboard, seems like it'd be really tough. Then again, I use a laptop so I don't even have a mouse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beeez posted:

I don't know how you got good with the mouse and keyboard, seems like it'd be really tough. Then again, I use a laptop so I don't even have a mouse.

It played very intuitively for me, everything felt natural and the more I played, the more it became second nature. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I'd used the controller from the start, and that I'd struggle if I then made the switch to m/kb.

Part of the problem is that I'm so used to the game I want to play it in hard mode, which removes all the on-screen prompts.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

It played very intuitively for me, everything felt natural and the more I played, the more it became second nature. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I'd used the controller from the start, and that I'd struggle if I then made the switch to m/kb.

Part of the problem is that I'm so used to the game I want to play it in hard mode, which removes all the on-screen prompts.

Just play a couple of challenge maps so you can internalize the combat and stealth controls. That's what I do whenever I pick up the game and forget how to Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eddain posted:

That'd completely destroy what the Arkham series is about.

E: I think, anyway. I just keep imagining Superman being involved completely deflating the tension.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 19, 2013

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
I can't bring myself to be hyped for this game. I liked the first two games enough to say this is a day one buy, but Arkham City was sort of a letdown for me. I could never put my finger one why though. I think I preferred the more closed off nature of the first game. I also felt like the riddles and collectibles in the 2nd game were all really annoying to figure out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Beeez posted:

If you get good, it's probably actually easier to play with a KB/M, since greater control over the camera means greater control over your directional flow. At least I find that part limiting when I'm using a controller. The only thing that's a problem is that using the special finishers is kind of awkward since it requires you pressing a key at the same time as a mouse click. Also all the gadgets are assigned to different keys, so if you want to get a high multiplier it requires you to keep track of a lot of different poo poo.

Either way playing with a mouse and keyboard is totally fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, but it seems the Deathstroke DLC is pretty much a skinned Robin DLC from Arkham City. A lot of people are upset and worried it means the whole game will be just like Arkham City but renamed as a cheap cash-in while Rocksteady makes a better game for PS4 and Xbox One.

The devs in the previously linked Reddit AMA didn't really comment much beyond that Deathstroke has different gadgets and plays differently than Robin, despite having the same block, walk, and mirrored moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHTs0-FQl8

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's gross.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's disappointing, especially as Robin was probably one of the less fun DLC characters for me to play in City (Nightwing was probably the best, in my opinion).

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's a shame that Robin and Nightwing weren't playable in the actual city. Even if there was nothing to do in the city it still would have been fun to do travel all over the place with different characters.

Icura
Oct 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, but it seems the Deathstroke DLC is pretty much a skinned Robin DLC from Arkham City. A lot of people are upset and worried it means the whole game will be just like Arkham City but renamed as a cheap cash-in while Rocksteady makes a better game for PS4 and Xbox One.

The devs in the previously linked Reddit AMA didn't really comment much beyond that Deathstroke has different gadgets and plays differently than Robin, despite having the same block, walk, and mirrored moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHTs0-FQl8

That is quite lazy for a paid DLC. Did they really not expect people not to figure that out? It's a bit insulting, especially when they are asking money for it. They should have just dropped Robin into it, though very few people would ever want to buy that (outside of preorder bonuses and GOTY edition).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm just kind of hoping this doesn't reflect on the actual game itself.

I'm guessing embargoes will go away on Monday, maybe. We'll probably get some reviews trickling in by then and we'll know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering it's the thing they're giving out as preorder DLC, I wouldn't jump to worried conclusions. It's more likely they had to toss something together for retailer DLC and went the easiest possible route. AO's probably not going to be stunningly original either way but I doubt everything'll be that cheap.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Shouldn't deathstroke have swords and guns? Why is he bonking everyone with a staff anyway?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

randombattle posted:

Shouldn't deathstroke have swords and guns? Why is he bonking everyone with a staff anyway?

Because they cannibalized most of the Robin DLC from Arkham City to make it. The thread just covered this, keep up.

Judging by the artwork and trailers he will use a sword when you fight him in the main game though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

randombattle posted:

Take out all three thugs in this timed challenge to maximize your score!
Begin!
*bang bang bang*
New Highscore!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

randombattle posted:

Isn't Deathstroke a bad guy? Does he share Batman's morals or what? Because from my limited Batman experience, I would have thought he would just have shot his enemies.

(Yes, I know the explanation is probably that they had to fit it into the Batman framework, but still...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Iacen posted:

Isn't Deathstroke a bad guy? Does he share Batman's morals or what? Because from my limited Batman experience, I would have thought he would just have shot his enemies.

(Yes, I know the explanation is probably that they had to fit it into the Batman framework, but still...)

He does use guns if he needs to. But the game already has Deadshot, we don't need another crazed gunman.

Also, for the record, Deathstroke does use a staff in the comics. Admittedly, a high tech staff that shoots energy blasts, but he uses it like a bo.

• Locked thread