Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Blattdorf posted:

You need to go down the elevator in the Boss's room at least once.

Doing that should also open the room across from the Boss's room with the elevator with the sweet music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
During the playthrough where you complete do the opposite of what the narrator tells you (the unplug the phone one), what happens when you do use the voice detector next to the door, or is that the joke that Stanley never speaks so you can't complete it anyway?.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That's the joke, yes. People digging into the files have found a teleport trigger, but spawns you into total blackness and doesn't seem to be activatable, so it seems to be a leftover.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's for the mod. There are (at least, potentially more) 18 endings in the real game. Some of those are easter egg endings though.

Eighteen? Were there more endgame conditions found?

Let me know if I'm missing anything in this list, I want to know if there's more stuff found.

1. Stanley "escapes" after turning off the mind control device.
2. You turn on the device and get blown up.
3. Take the "escape" path and get the crusher ending from the original game plus a developer room.
4. Go down the stairs, get the "crazy" ending from the original.
5. Confusion ending.
6. Phone/"push a button" ending that was kinda in the original.
7. Unplug the phone, get the "real person" ending.
8. Red door, kill yourself with fall damage.
9. Blue door, play to the end, "destination" ending from the original.
10. Blue door, play the baby game for four hours.
11. Escape pod ending. Seems kinda broken.
12. Heaven.
13. Go out of bounds. Can hit yes or no.
14. Serious room.

There's also the "whiteboard" ending but that isn't a situation where you have to restart.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

This game is ripe for urban legends to sprout up. Already it's proven that ridiculous things like pressing a button for 4 hours will lead to a hidden ending, of sorts. The devs probably need to crank out a quick update to disable the commands that people are using to delete entities though, so they can properly continue to hide things. Then just sneak little content updates in here and there to keep people guessing.

I'm pretty sure at this point I've seen everything, or at least everything that anyone is aware of so far. Although I am still left with uncertainty since some of the images on the Steam store page don't seem to exist in game. Along with just about everything in any trailer or preview video. But then, that sort of thing would fit the theme pretty well. According to Steam I've played the game for 12 hours, which is a little ridiculous for something which can be 'finished' in 4 minutes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If this game has Hondo map-like easter eggs it would be incredible.

You clearly forgot the Broom Closet ending, which is the best of all. The 14th ending can be repeated about 3 times.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 19, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, because I'm curious about what some people are saying about turning on the dev console and trying to noclip during the countdown timer, I turned on the dev console, but how do you turn on noclip? I haven't even gotten to the countdown timer yet, but I can't get noclip to activate after trying Noclip 1

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I hope that in four years the devs patch in a bunch of extra content, just to gently caress with everyone trying to legitimately earn the "go outside" achievement :unsmigghh:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

So, because I'm curious about what some people are saying about turning on the dev console and trying to noclip during the countdown timer, I turned on the dev console, but how do you turn on noclip? I haven't even gotten to the countdown timer yet, but I can't get noclip to activate after trying Noclip 1

Like in most Source games, noclip only works if you do sv_cheats 1 first.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

jonjonaug posted:

Eighteen? Were there more endgame conditions found?

Let me know if I'm missing anything in this list, I want to know if there's more stuff found.

1. Stanley "escapes" after turning off the mind control device.
2. You turn on the device and get blown up.
3. Take the "escape" path and get the crusher ending from the original game plus a developer room.
4. Go down the stairs, get the "crazy" ending from the original.
5. Confusion ending.
6. Phone/"push a button" ending that was kinda in the original.
7. Unplug the phone, get the "real person" ending.
8. Red door, kill yourself with fall damage.
9. Blue door, play to the end, "destination" ending from the original.
10. Blue door, play the baby game for four hours.
11. Escape pod ending. Seems kinda broken.
12. Heaven.
13. Go out of bounds. Can hit yes or no.
14. Serious room.

There's also the "whiteboard" ending but that isn't a situation where you have to restart.

I'm not counting whiteboard ending or broom closet ending, as they aren't endings.

And I actually miscounted. There's 16. You're missing coward ending and trapdoor ending. Devs have also hinted that it actually is possible to continue the confusion ending, and you can see the adventure line in a few places after the next restart.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
I was able to get a diary page from the game's files. Lounge spoilers
http://i.imgur.com/eWUqNdk.png

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, and I should point out, for anyone who wants to dig into the game's files, the dev has hidden a lot of files. They're kept in an encrypted .vpk file in platform/, cleverly labelled "dump0.tmp". I'm working on decrypting it right now, as I'm quite sure it's a simple XOR cipher.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

yaoi prophet posted:

Like in most Source games, noclip only works if you do sv_cheats 1 first.

That doesn't seem to work, though. It leads you to a very serious room instead.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That doesn't seem to work, though. It leads you to a very serious room instead.

I think that's what people are really hinting at when they suggest using cheats.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

And I actually miscounted. There's 16. You're missing coward ending and trapdoor ending.

Wait, which ones are these?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp, apparently trying to get the close door ending after activating Raphael Mode bugs it out and it ends up being the same bug the ending replaced. At least, that happened the one time I tried it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

yaoi prophet posted:

Wait, which ones are these?

Close the door at the start for the coward ending.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Someone found another fun console command: imabird makes you float like in the Crazy ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tempo 119 posted:

I think that's what people are really hinting at when they suggest using cheats.

Oh, duh, that makes sense. :downs: Though I thought someone said earlier they got through the door in that ending using it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, duh, that makes sense. :downs: Though I thought someone said earlier they got through the door in that ending using it.

Much like the game itself, people posting about it might be being disingenuous!

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
If anyone can find the "Buisness Stratagy" picture, I'd appreciate it!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
What is the Broom Closet Ending? I thought it gets boarded up the third time?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's not a real ending, take the normal story path and after the meeting room, there will be a door on your left. Open it and stand in there.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 19, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Thus far I've heard that the only ways to get through that door are by using console commands that allow you to delete the map entity under your crosshairs or by doing some trickery involving copying the game files into the demo folder and playing it from there (or maybe it was renaming the game folder to the demo folder, something like that), either of which just reveals a bare tunnel that goes dark after a bit, and which is still blocked by an invisible wall unless you're noclipping. And even when you can get noclip to work by moving files around, it tends to make the game very broken and crash prone.

Also some enterprising souls have decompiled bits of the maps, looking for secrets. They've found that a trap door in the countdown room appears to have a trigger brush over it, but that there's really nothing under it. My guess is that the trigger is just there to make the little interact circle pop up when you look at it, furthering the paranoia. Similarly, the door in the boss's office in the real person ending that asks you to speak a password doesn't have anything behind it except a teleport trigger that isn't linked to anything. Either it's unfinished, cut content, or the devs have really thought ahead on this and even the map files are set up to screw with people.

I'm still pretty convinced that the escape pod ending is just broken, though, because with -dev and -console in your launch commands you will see error messages popping up in the corner where the narrator is apparently supposed to be speaking, but nothing plays. And then the final thing that seems like it should be a video is just a white line at the bottom.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think it's interesting the way the endings explore all the possible permutations of an idea. For example

Portal Ending = Narrator abandons Player
Corruption Ending = Player abandons Narrator
Confusion Ending = Narrator and Player are both abandoned by Game

If I had to take a message away, it's that the player, the storyteller and the gameplay designer must all work together (in some degree) for a game narrative to work. All the endings feel like permutations of one or more of these factors failing to pull their weight.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm still pretty convinced that the escape pod ending is just broken, though, because with -dev and -console in your launch commands you will see error messages popping up in the corner where the narrator is apparently supposed to be speaking, but nothing plays. And then the final thing that seems like it should be a video is just a white line at the bottom.

No, that's not a video, it's what you see if you go out of bounds in a source game.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

BobTheJanitor posted:

This game is ripe for urban legends to sprout up. Already it's proven that ridiculous things like pressing a button for 4 hours will lead to a hidden ending, of sorts. The devs probably need to crank out a quick update to disable the commands that people are using to delete entities though, so they can properly continue to hide things. Then just sneak little content updates in here and there to keep people guessing.

I'm pretty sure at this point I've seen everything, or at least everything that anyone is aware of so far. Although I am still left with uncertainty since some of the images on the Steam store page don't seem to exist in game. Along with just about everything in any trailer or preview video. But then, that sort of thing would fit the theme pretty well. According to Steam I've played the game for 12 hours, which is a little ridiculous for something which can be 'finished' in 4 minutes.
Pressing a button for 4 hours actually gets you a ending?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Speaking of urban legends, is jumping out a window real or did someone make that up? I've spent twenty minutes groping office chairs and I can't find a climbable one anywhere near a window.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rocketlex posted:

Speaking of urban legends, is jumping out a window real or did someone make that up? I've spent twenty minutes groping office chairs and I can't find a climbable one anywhere near a window.

It's real. The First office area at the back left wall. There are two desks, the one on the left has a chair a bit farther out then most. You can walk up it and then crouch walk over the computer monitor and out the window

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Rocketlex posted:

Yep. It's the windows directly to your left as soon as you start, assuming you don't get one of the random variations on the first office. The desk diagonally across the room from Stanley's office, with a phone on it, is the one you want. Just keep mashing yourself on that one until you get on top, then crouch to go over the partition and towards the windows.

Boxturret posted:

No, that's not a video, it's what you see if you go out of bounds in a source game.

Not really... usually you get a hall of mirrors effect, but if that's what they're going for it wasn't done very well. It usually doesn't only cover the lower 10% of the screen, for starters.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

BobTheJanitor posted:

On the final floor before the escape pod there is an instruction/warning sign. The fine print on the bottom is kind of smeared with dirt but it seems to say that the pod only works correctly if player and narrator are present. And you seem to leave the narrator in the bosses room when you slip out at the last second.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I am so using the adventure music as a ringtone. I can't be the only one who totally got into following the line with that invigorating sound driving him on.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

Cugel the Clever posted:

I am so using the adventure music as a ringtone. I can't be the only one who totally got into following the line with that invigorating sound driving him on.

Already using the disco secret music as a ringtone. God so good.
William hides the best secrets!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm quite convinced it's leftover content as well. The office layouts you start in are randomized between plays, and only one of them actually really leads to that ending. The rest either glitch out entirely, or close the door on you before you can reach it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So even though this game gives you choices, its interesting how it seems to guide you to choose them in the most meta-narrative appropriate order.

For example, when you get to the telephone room, sometimes its lit only by a lamp and sometimes its fully-lit. I think it becomes fully lit after you've answered the phone once, because it makes it easier to see the plug on the wall.

I didn't even notice until I watched that Video Games Awesome video and saw them come to that choice for the first time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still can't get the speedrun achievement. Either something is wrong with my copy or I am somehow managing to walk towards my goal slower than intended.

Shellm
Oct 2, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I still can't get the speedrun achievement. Either something is wrong with my copy or I am somehow managing to walk towards my goal slower than intended.

I think you need to get the right random starting room. Keep restarting until you just see a straight hallway outside of Stanley's office, which I believe is the shortest path. I'm not sure if you really are required to do this, but I couldn't get the speedrun until I got this hallway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shellm posted:

I think you need to get the right random starting room. Keep restarting until you just see a straight hallway outside of Stanley's office, which I believe is the shortest path. I'm not sure if you really are required to do this, but I couldn't get the speedrun until I got this hallway.

If only I could make a certain big door open faster...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

You need to either get one of the fast office layouts, or use the trick where you walk on the railings in the monitor room to not have to wait for the gates to open.

Rocketlex posted:

So even though this game gives you choices, its interesting how it seems to guide you to choose them in the most meta-narrative appropriate order.

The big mistake was putting the museum where it was. That was my first ending, and it was sort of uncomfortable to walk through it without staring at anything to avoid spoilers.

I really like that if you obey everything, you end up turning off a Mind Control Machine. That sort of broke my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Suspicious Dish posted:

The big mistake was putting the museum where it was. That was my first ending, and it was sort of uncomfortable to walk through it without staring at anything to avoid spoilers.

Yeah, it's way too easy to get that ending. It should really be the last you get.

quote:

I really like that if you obey everything, you end up turning off a Mind Control Machine. That sort of broke my brain.

The most hilarious part is that that's probably exactly what The Author was going for. He intended you to follow the story, then reflect on how well you followed the story and how your compliance parallels the story. The choices were put in not for you to take them, but merely to emphasize the incredibly sledgehammer-driven point The Author was trying to make. He did name it "The Stanley Parable" after all.

The Author really is the perfect satire of a whiny artist who expects his audience to engage his work on his terms and not their own. As much as its a commentary on games, you could apply The Stanley Parable to a lot of creative work.

EDIT: Speaking of the Museum ending, there was one part that made me really sad. According to one exhibit, there was a very elaborate ending cut from the game called the War Zone ending. Basically Stanley gets dropped into a first-person shooter game, is given a gun, and the game actually becomes a shooter for a while with Stanley blasting aliens. (The concept art made it look rather Resistance-ish.) Eventually the characters in the FPS become aware that the narrator controls everything, so they all team up in a massive war against the narrator.

They say it was cut because it was getting too complicated, and also because people were reading it as them making fun of people who like FPS games, which wasn't what they were trying to do.
That sounds incredible. It's a shame it didn't make it in.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 19, 2013

• Locked thread