Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

These things are awesome! I remember having to be really careful of the leading edge slats when fueling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powercube posted:

I love the Bison just because of the bicycle landing gear. I blame Kruschev for the the Bounder, I don't think that the debacle you are writing about next was entirely Myashischev's fault- I blame the political climate of "SOVIET SUPERMEN WILL USE SCIENCE TO PREVAIL" for creating unrealistic goals.

Without spoiling too much, the political climate at the time was a big factor - after all, the Soivet Union must have bigger and faster bombers than the imperialist pigdogs - but at the same time, Myasishchev stepped up to design an airplane that Tupolev (and in fact everyone else in the Soviet Union) looked at and basically said "oh gently caress that noise".

Also, if you think the propaganda and bad intelligence surrounding the Bison was fun, just wait until you see the rumours propagated about the Bounder.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 19, 2013

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MrChips posted:

Without spoiling too much, the political climate at the time was a big factor - after all, the Soivet Union must have bigger and faster bombers than the imperialist pigdogs - but at the same time, Myasishchev stepped up to design an airplane that Tupolev (and in fact everyone else in the Soviet Union) looked at and basically said "oh gently caress that noise".

Also, if you think the propaganda and bad intelligence surrounding the Bison was fun, just wait until you see the rumours propagated about the Bounder.

I'd argue that Sukhoi also stepped up and said "Hey hey! Look at us! We can build more than interceptors!" - but that's another big spoiler. If I recall correctly, the rumors about that horrifying failure of an aircraft were even funnier than the Bounder! I think Tupolev had the freedom to gently caress any and all noise they chose because of their successful commercial and military projects. The favourite son, even in the Soviet Union, always had right of first refusal. The Myashischevs and Lavochkins of the era had to do anything and everything to keep their dachas, even if it meant killing pilots. At least they weren't working for the OKB of Dr. Brunholf Baade :cry:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powercube posted:

I'd argue that Sukhoi also stepped up and said "Hey hey! Look at us! We can build more than interceptors!" - but that's another big spoiler. If I recall correctly, the rumors about that horrifying failure of an aircraft were even funnier than the Bounder! I think Tupolev had the freedom to gently caress any and all noise they chose because of their successful commercial and military projects. The favourite son, even in the Soviet Union, always had right of first refusal. The Myashischevs and Lavochkins of the era had to do anything and everything to keep their dachas, even if it meant killing pilots. At least they weren't working for the OKB of Dr. Brunholf Baade :cry:

Apart from Artem Mikoyan, who was apparently born under a lucky star, every design bureau fell out of favour from time to time with the Politburo. Even the mighty Tupolev very nearly lost face over the Tu-144 debacle (though Andrei himself had retired some time before that). I do agree that Tupolev could pretty much pick and choose what they worked on; they had so much power that they could pull rank and take projects that other bureaus worked on. In an effort post I have planned for the future, there is a story where Myasishchev got it very, very right (for once), only to have Tupolev pull rank and take the design as their own.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

MrChips posted:

Apart from Artem Mikoyan, who was apparently born under a lucky star, every design bureau fell out of favour from time to time with the Politburo. Even the mighty Tupolev very nearly lost face over the Tu-144 debacle (though Andrei himself had retired some time before that). I do agree that Tupolev could pretty much pick and choose what they worked on; they had so much power that they could pull rank and take projects that other bureaus worked on. In an effort post I have planned for the future, there is a story where Myasishchev got it very, very right (for once), only to have Tupolev pull rank and take the design as their own.

I know the project of which you speak, and I am very excited to read your take on it. I'll avoid further discussion because of spoilers. I'm just curious now, what kind of cold war avgeek are you? I'm actually employed as a Russian aerospace geek somewhere media-y.

Edit: Yeah, that is true. Even Andrei ended up in a Stalashka!

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Plinkey posted:

I love goofy looking testbeds. I flew on this a few days a week for 2-3 years. I think we are retiring it this year though :(

Is that Scan64?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Powercube posted:

I'm actually employed as a Russian aerospace geek somewhere media-y.

Don't tease, where can we read/watch this stuff?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Koesj posted:

Don't tease, where can we read/watch this stuff?

Unfortunately, right now I am not doing much interesting stuff with the Russians simply because I am not a Russian citizen, and therefore cannot get on an airforce base (okay there are ways around that, but I am not going to discuss those in semi-public). I am, however, the goon that went to DPRK to fly on all their Russian pax jets. I wrote effortposts for the thread- which in turn got me a gig here.
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/05/flying-on-an-air-koryo-ilyushin-il-62-to-north-korea/

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kmcormick9 posted:

Is that Scan64?

What is Scan64?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Plinkey posted:

What is Scan64?

A bac111 that departs Martin state or bwi and flies circles over the Chesapeake vfr at 175 almost daily. Theres a 62, a 63, and a 64 that i know of. That one appears to be N164W, hence the 64.

kmcormick9 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 19, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powercube posted:

I know the project of which you speak, and I am very excited to read your take on it. I'll avoid further discussion because of spoilers. I'm just curious now, what kind of cold war avgeek are you? I'm actually employed as a Russian aerospace geek somewhere media-y.

Edit: Yeah, that is true. Even Andrei ended up in a Stalashka!

I'm just a dumb pilot who loves to read about aviation history, especially that of the Cold War. I find that era to be very interesting because the advent of the jet engine kind of threw the design consensus out the window and spawned the development of some pretty crazy stuff. I especially like to read about all the obscure aircraft that don't necessarily get much attention from the public (or even more mainstream aviation nerds).

Put simply, I guess I'm kind of an amateur aviation hipster/historian. :)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kmcormick9 posted:

A bac111 that flies circles over the Chesapeake vfr at 175 almost daily. Theres a 62, a 63, and a 64 that i know of. That one appears to be N64W, hence the 64.

Ah yeah, that's us. I had no idea that we were Scan64 though.

All the ATC guys that I hear just call us 64W or 164W.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Plinkey posted:

What are you guys doing out there?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kmcormick9 posted:

What are you guys doing out there?

Wasting government money. Testing radar and stuff like that. I worked flight test for B1 radar for a few years. They jets are multi-use though a couple different programs share them.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Plinkey posted:

Yeah he means a radio callsign. Some flights may utilize the callsign only for certain flight plans and use the tail number for others. Sometimes use of the callsign is only on agreement with a local ATC facility, so it would be used near the home base but revert to the tail number when entering another ATC facility's jurisdiction.

Everywhere I've worked has had medical helicopters with local use callsigns (and squawk codes) but if they leave our area and want ATC services then they use their tail number. This is all spelled out in letters of agreement between the company and the FAA.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah he means a radio callsign. Some flights may utilize the callsign only for certain flight plans and use the tail number for others. Sometimes use of the callsign is only on agreement with a local ATC facility, so it would be used near the home base but revert to the tail number when entering another ATC facility's jurisdiction.

Everywhere I've worked has had medical helicopters with local use callsigns (and squawk codes) but if they leave our area and want ATC services then they use their tail number. This is all spelled out in letters of agreement between the company and the FAA.

Outside of an area that has a pre-assigned transponder code, we are to use tail number, prefixed by "medevac" if responding to a call or with a patient on board. Not all our pilots get this, and leads to lots of "who did you say you were again?" if we wander over to Buffalo or something.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Exactly, the LOA usually involves the local ATC facility and company, maybe adjacent facilities if operations are common there. Outside of those areas covered by the letter, ATC probably won't recognize the callsign. Go far enough away and your designated squawk codes may be assigned to a different company by a different ATC facility.

Military callsigns are national, but they're always easily pronouncable by reading them directly. Ex "DEATH53." Civilian national callsigns are abbreviated to 3 letters followed by a flight number. Ex DAL343 = "Delta 343."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

Sounds sad; looking forward to that. Didn't Tupolev end up in the gulag at some point? I thought he was part of that crazy prison design bureau that designed the Pe-2.

Loving your infodumps!

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sounds sad; looking forward to that. Didn't Tupolev end up in the gulag at some point? I thought he was part of that crazy prison design bureau that designed the Pe-2.

Loving your infodumps!

Yes, yes he did. He was in the "stalashka"-I can't remember why. I think Stalin just wanted to show the other OKB leaders that even Andrei was not immune from his ire.

Artem Mikoyan's a bit of a funny case, his Great Patriotic War aircraft did not come off to a strong start- it was just that the PVO and VVS absolutely jerked off over his jet fighters and made him untouchable. Notice also that he never picked up any transport, bomber, or really any strike work (well, other than the Mig-27 but I am pretty sure he was dead or retired when that came to be).

Then again, when you look at the competition the Mig-15 faced; such as the Lavochkin LA-15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavochkin_La-15) - you can sort of see why he rose faster than Ziggy Stardust. He was even forgiven for the Mig-9 being renown for double-engine flameouts whenever the cannons were fired!

Powercube fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 20, 2013

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
As far as Mikoyan goes, the fact that his brother was one the top boys in the Soviet government probably made it a bit easier for him to pick and choose his projects.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I'm just going to leave this here as I know there must be at least one more trijet geek on this forum:

Biman posted:

Thank you for the email. The DC10 will be flying in to Birmingham or Manchester, not London, as we don't have traffic rights from London. Yes, we will have a few seats for sale to Seattle, which will be sold via our website. We don't yet have a date for this flight in Feb 2014.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Manchester seems like a good choice for a DC10 enthusiast flight, I think it's home to like 50% of the aviation nerds on the internet.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Manchester seems like a good choice for a DC10 enthusiast flight, I think it's home to like 50% of the aviation nerds on the internet.

Honestly, BG knows their DC-10 market. It's not even that MAN is home to the most vocal Avgeeks, it's simply that BG flies there and has fifth rights to the US from there from back in the days when you could fly a DC-10 from JFK all the way to DAC. I think they also tried it via BRU or something. Either way- I'll be on it from Dacca onwards. Then again, I am a whore for three holes.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
So I'm going to Rio de Janeiro in June for the first week of the World Cup, and to save money on the flights I booked on GOL (one of Brazil's low cost carriers) from Miami to Rio. The flight stops in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic for an hour then continues to Rio. 7 hours in a 737-800. The flight is somewhere around 2,900 NM and the maximum range of the -800 is around 3,100. Tell me I'm going to be OK goons :ohdear:. We fly over a majority of Brazil so I'm sure they've got plans for diversions if it becomes necessary and what not. It is going to be interesting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zochness posted:

So I'm going to Rio de Janeiro in June for the first week of the World Cup, and to save money on the flights I booked on GOL (one of Brazil's low cost carriers) from Miami to Rio. The flight stops in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic for an hour then continues to Rio. 7 hours in a 737-800. The flight is somewhere around 2,900 NM and the maximum range of the -800 is around 3,100. Tell me I'm going to be OK goons :ohdear:. We fly over a majority of Brazil so I'm sure they've got plans for diversions if it becomes necessary and what not. It is going to be interesting.

Just remember, if you walk downstream you'll eventually find someone.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Zochness posted:

I've been on AS138 (ANC-ORD) many times. That's 2,836 with most of it over the 3rd world ;)

Long flights aren't too bad if you can time them for overnight flights. Take a sleeping pill as you board and forget it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Fly into the gulf coming out of Europe and you're bound to cross some *special* airspace :confused: There are so many places in the world that work better at 30kft AGL.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Was out to Arizona with the fam for a few days, stopped by the Pima Air and Space Museum and the AMARG Boneyard. The bus-tour of the actual facility left a little to be desired, shooting through smudged smoked bus-glass wasn't ideal, but had 7$ worth of fun looking at stuff.

They currently have around 4000 aircraft in inventory, down from a historic high of closer to 6000. Apparently a good 15-20% of the aircraft delivered to the boneyard fly out again under their own power, either sold to allies, or put back into service in the US, or as target drones.

They have a lot of C-130s.

And a lot of Phrogs.

And the tooling and jigs for the B-2.

This is actually from a private junkyard that isn't on base, so I could wander around a bit and not shoot through somebody elses nose-prints.

Some funny stuff from the Pima Air Museum:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Slo-Tek posted:

And the tooling and jigs for the B-2.

That is cool! I imagine when you spend enough on an airframe that you can afford more aircraft carriers than airframes, you'd want to keep some of that equipment around.

Anyone know if the Buff's tooling is still hanging around or do they have enough spares to make that irrelevant.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Not as exciting as Pima maybe, but I was up at Selfridge with the kids on Saturday, and they finally have their Scorpion restored. No pictures, sadly, since I was wrangling pre-schoolers, but it looks really nice. It came to them in pieces on two flatbeds and a shipping crate. Now it's all restored with a great Michigan ANG paint job in gray, black, and yellow. It's an awkward and ugly aircraft, but it looks pretty cool there in the airpark.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Slo-Tek posted:

Some funny stuff from the Pima Air Museum:

Glad to see they got their B-36 restored! That was in process when I was out there in 2008.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can it fly or is it static?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

slidebite posted:

Can't imagine it's not static, didn't those fall out of the sky a lot?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Its probably static, I thought that B-36 was actually reassembled from the carcasses of multiple B-36s

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It would be crazy expensive to fly one of those (a few months ago in this thread someone estimated it to be in the tens of thousands of dollars just for fuel.) It looks like it has the same blue coating on the glass as the static displays at that museum.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Yeah, no B-36's flying, and precious few on static display.

The B-36 would cost a ton more to maintain and operate than a B-52 would. One of the interesting things about the Jet Age is that it didn't happen because jets were faster/higher, but because it is dramatically less expensive to keep a jet flying than it is to put in the huge number of mx hours per flight hour required of a 50's vintage high performance piston engine.

Keeping 6 R-4360's running reliably enough to make at least a few of your airshow commitments would be unimaginable. Would cost dozens of times what it costs to keep a B-17 flying, for a hundredth the interest from airshow paying passengers.

Public interest is absolutely everything in the warbird restoration business, which is why you have dozens of flying B-17's all over the world and 2, count 'em two, flying B-24's, even though there were more B-24's built, and they did a lot more of the heavy lifting, nobody made a movie about them.

"Although reliable in flight, the Wasp Major was maintenance-intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs, which would require hours to clean or replace. As with most piston aircraft engines of the era, the time between overhauls of the Wasp Major was about 600 hours when used in commercial service."

And that was when there were new parts, and more than a couple dozen guys who knew how to do it, and were young enough to climb up the catwalks to wrench on them. Might be interesting to try to scare up the numbers for the Martin Mars water bombers.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 21, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slo-Tek posted:

"Although reliable in flight, the Wasp Major was maintenance-intensive. Improper starting technique could foul all 56 spark plugs, which would require hours to clean or replace. As with most piston aircraft engines of the era, the time between overhauls of the Wasp Major was about 600 hours when used in commercial service."

They tended to eagerly burst into flames when mounted in a pusher configuration, though. Although that probably wouldn't be a problem flying at nice low airshow altitudes.

But, still, yeah: trying to operate a B-36 would be crazy expensive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A flying B-36 is an unobtanium dream of mine. Just think of the heritage flybys: B-17, B-24, B-29, B-36, B-47 (another dream of mine, and possibly slightly more feasible,) B-52, B-1, and a B-2, all in one (gigantic, obnoxiously loud,) formation.

Back in reality, just getting one R4360 in running order is a not-insignificant achievement. Six of them, plus four J47s would just be an incredible undertaking. And that's just the power-plants, to speak nothing of the complexity of the rest of the aircraft.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Slo-Tek posted:

And that was when there were new parts, and more than a couple dozen guys who knew how to do it, and were young enough to climb up the catwalks to wrench on them. Might be interesting to try to scare up the numbers for the Martin Mars water bombers.

The Mars isn't going to be an apples to apples comparison as it uses the R-3350 and there were considerably more Duplex Cyclones in service than Wasp Majors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

ehnus posted:

The Mars isn't going to be an apples to apples comparison as it uses the R-3350 and there were considerably more Duplex Cyclones in service than Wasp Majors.

Huh, apparently only the Caroline Mars had the 4360's. Still awesome, but not the same.