Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tzarnal posted:

This is exactly correct.

Two things though - I originally said "days" not "years" in my answer (I'm not sure why it goes to years, but I edited as you replied without seeing your reply because I figured it would stay at years), and I still don't know why it's the next three digits.

I'm more of a philosopher than a math guy though, which is why I triggered on the language and not the numbers.

e: Would you mind if I shared this riddle with some friends? They might get the answer in different ways than me. I can credit you if you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Two things though - I originally said "days" not "years" in my answer (I'm not sure why it goes to years, but I edited as you replied without seeing your reply because I figured it would stay at years), and I still don't know why it's the next three digits.

I'm more of a philosopher than a math guy though, which is why I triggered on the language and not the numbers.

e: Would you mind if I shared this riddle with some friends? They might get the answer in different ways than me. I can credit you if you'd like.

It is 3 digits because I wanted each stage to be longer than the stage before, the story mentions that it rains years to ensure there can be no confusion as to the lower limit ( it must be at least 887 days because you cannot get a smaller number out of phi at that point in the sequence ) but i would have accepted an answer with more digits just fine if they fit.

From this experience I've learned I need to write things to be more clear since I suppose. Oh well. Thanks for playing.

As to sharing, feel free, its just a riddle, credit or not matters little to me.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Mr. Maltose posted:

We three know the beat, but Guido said no go when he mapped us and our brothers. We didn't stick together but we didn't cause trouble. Once the scene got amorous, we got a bit glamorous with that dangerous devilish connotation, but eventually we settled back in with the rest. We're key in the kits those cats from Orleans use, and George kept us opening in a blue jay way.

I don't think anyone's got this yet. Is it notes in a chord?

e: Better guess.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 19, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tzarnal posted:

From this experience I've learned I need to write things to be more clear since I suppose. Oh well. Thanks for playing.

Reading back over it, you're perfectly clear. I'm just bad at reading every single detail in these things, especially after I think I've grasped the main idea in the first quarter of the riddle (I had to go back to "name of the sword" at first because by focusing on "how long" I'd forgotten about the name part).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
This is more of a lateral thinking puzzle than a riddle, but, hey, close enough for other people to enjoy. I picked it up in like elementary school so it's probably google-able so don't.

Two people walk into a fast food place on a hot day and sit down; they both order a cold Coke. One of them drinks his Coke slowly, the other one quickly. The person who drank slowly drops dead.

What happened?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

neongrey posted:

This is more of a lateral thinking puzzle than a riddle, but, hey, close enough for other people to enjoy. I picked it up in like elementary school so it's probably google-able so don't.

Two people walk into a fast food place on a hot day and sit down; they both order a cold Coke. One of them drinks his Coke slowly, the other one quickly. The person who drank slowly drops dead.

What happened?

Poisoned ice cubes?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I hate those sorts of puzzles. I don't know why, but they always read like a badly DMed RPG, where the only answer is obviously that you put the red gem in the yellow skull's left eye socket you idiots, you should have listened to the old man's song about rainbow gems 14 sessions ago and then done the opposite because he always lies, poison gas fills the chamber and you all die.

e: especially when there could be thousands of explanations and it's this one really specific thing like "a walrus fell on her" that's not really contained in the question but implied by "cold" or something. Not that I'm saying that's what you did.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 19, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Allstone posted:

Poisoned ice cubes?

Got it in one. I dunno, I always thought that one was more or less fair.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, that one isn't too bad, but some of those lateral thinking puzzles get really loving lateral.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

petrol blue posted:

I don't think anyone's got this yet. Is it notes in a chord?

e: Better guess.

No.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

America?

I'm too tired to think of a real riddle, so here is a "riddle" that is really a pun.

Why shouldn't you eat two hundred and eighty eight worms?
No, unfortunately.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I guess it's my turn to riddle:

We three know the beat, but Guido said no go when he mapped us and our brothers. We didn't stick together but we didn't cause trouble. Once the scene got amorous, we got a bit glamorous with that dangerous devilish connotation, but eventually we settled back in with the rest. We're key in the kits those cats from Orleans use, and George kept us opening in a blue jay way.

I believe this is the tritone, or "devil's chord".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Correct!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Zandar posted:

I believe this is the tritone, or "devil's chord".

You might get a title for figuring that one out, because god drat.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
I have never before seen heavy moderation turn a thread so awesome, and so quickly.

I think I might just like this place.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

It's one of those curiosities that was weird enough to stick with me once I read about it. The combination of three, music and "devilish connotations" just tripped the memory.

Anyway, here's my cheesy riddle, in honour of D&D:

Fires burn within me, my dark wings spread wide
My treasures are guarded by sharp fang and claw
I lie 'neath the earth or within mountainside
Just waiting for heroes to kick in my door.

But tremble! Beware! for I do not fear death
My armour is proof against any steel blade
And there's no way of killing what's never drawn breath
Not with magic, nor armies, nor e'en the gods' aid.

I can doom a whole party with nary a twitch
Now tell me my name, if your goal is to bitch.

(I don't have PMs, so I've emailed the answer to you, Winson.)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

Could someone explain this whole thing? Because that riddle is hella crazy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah sure, let me break it down.

We three know the beat, (It's music!:downs:)
but Guido said no go when he mapped us and our brothers. (Guido of Arezzo was a Medieval music theorist who first classified B flat as a Diatonic note, classifying the tritone as Dissonant.)
We didn't stick together but we didn't cause trouble. (The Tritone may have been the Devil In Music but no one actually got excommunicated or anything for using it.)
Once the scene got amorous, we got a bit glamorous with that dangerous devilish connotation, (First major use of the Tritone in classic western composition was during the Romantic Era, where composers liked to use it and it's connotations to denote scary bad evil hell things.)
but eventually we settled back in with the rest. (Around the beginning of the 20th century composition began using Tritones to do things other than to imply spooky hell bad.)
We're key in the kits those cats from Orleans use, and George kept us opening in a blue jay way. (Tritone substitutions are one of the basic tools in Jazz improvisation, and George Harrison liked to use them in songs like Blue Jay Way because of his grounding in non-western musical modes.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So is this latest survey just about druids and stuff, or is it more holistic?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Whybird posted:

A bloodstain on the harvest.
Three cards of matching suit.
A mirrored stone of madness.
Walls, doors, traps, death, and loot.

Where once I stood divided
In mind and heart and soul,
You made me who I am, my friends.
Your choices made me whole.

Well, nobody's guessed this yet, and as I understand the rules, there's no longer any probations riding on whether anyone gets it, so here's the answer.

The harvest moon is blood-red;
The moon reflects the sun.
The three-card game is Monte, but
a Monty Haul's no fun.

(E: Credit to Petrolblue's photoshop talents.)

Whybird fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 19, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zandar posted:

It's one of those curiosities that was weird enough to stick with me once I read about it. The combination of three, music and "devilish connotations" just tripped the memory.

Is it a dungeon?

Anyway, as far as Vancian casting goes, I'll agree that it's more about its context in the general adventure framework. "You can do four awesome things and then you have to sleep for 8 hours" doesn't really work when you can just sleep for 8 hours whenever you want, and nothing really comes of it.

Would it work better if magic was Vancian and explicitly per adventure, rather than trying to make the DM decide what snagging 8 hours did to the storyline?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Glazius posted:

Is it a dungeon?

Can't be, a Mage could kill it easily with stone to mud, etc.. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Glazius posted:

Is it a dungeon?

Anyway, as far as Vancian casting goes, I'll agree that it's more about its context in the general adventure framework. "You can do four awesome things and then you have to sleep for 8 hours" doesn't really work when you can just sleep for 8 hours whenever you want, and nothing really comes of it.

Would it work better if magic was Vancian and explicitly per adventure, rather than trying to make the DM decide what snagging 8 hours did to the storyline?

I think per session would be better, perhaps. Way I see it is that it allows a spellcaster to be awesome a certain number of times during a meet-up. This decreases the annoyances of long-term resource management if you don't know if you're going to be able to rest before the next session and --while there is much better methods like per encounter and at-will -- it is a more set time length (usually about 2-3 hours, in my experience) so its easier to balance around.

Edit: Perhaps per scene (basically, overcoming an obstacle) would be better. Less worrying about resource management, -- while not a set length of time -- its easier to balance around, and it makes less bookwork. Spells would have to be less numerous and less versatile to compensate, however.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 20, 2013

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Zandar posted:

Fires burn within me, my dark wings spread wide
My treasures are guarded by sharp fang and claw
I lie 'neath the earth or within mountainside
Just waiting for heroes to kick in my door.

But tremble! Beware! for I do not fear death
My armour is proof against any steel blade
And there's no way of killing what's never drawn breath
Not with magic, nor armies, nor e'en the gods' aid.

I can doom a whole party with nary a twitch
Now tell me my name, if your goal is to bitch.

(I don't have PMs, so I've emailed the answer to you, Winson.)

Is it a volcano? I dunno, I just can't stop thinking of "rocks fall, everyone dies" :v:

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Is it the Dungeon Master?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Glazius posted:

Is it a dungeon?

That's right!

petrol blue posted:

Can't be, a Mage could kill it easily with stone to mud, etc.. :v:

I was going for the whole lack of sentience angle there. It turns out that trying to evoke dragons in the first verse means that it's quite hard to make sure that "a dracolich" or "some sort of robot dragon which is probably in a supplement somewhere" can't be valid answers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's a tomb(of horrors)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Zandar posted:

I was going for the whole lack of sentience angle there.

Yeah, I was joking, it would have been my guess as well.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Contest or not, I'd like to throw in a riddle:

Emigrants from obscurity, papers granting history,
a homeland from duality, given a whole-cloth rival.
Smiles of jagged pearly nails, hair of flowing serpent's tails,
choice of lungs with quintet scales or eyes of fear's arrival.

Tongues sickly sweet with noble class, backs so wide with mighty mass,
or just the stubborn will of rear end, graceless forms and not so smart.
And though some looked upon with doubt, their steam refuses to give out,
but all you choose to talk about: what's above their sister's heart.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zandar posted:

That's right!

Well, here's my little something cryptic, then.

"Next-to-no charcoal, chopped up fine, gives three lanterns four flames."

Covok posted:

I think per session would be better, perhaps. Way I see it is that it allows a spellcaster to be awesome a certain number of times during a meet-up. This decreases the annoyances of long-term resource management if you don't know if you're going to be able to rest before the next session and --while there is much better methods like per encounter and at-will -- it is a more set time length (usually about 2-3 hours, in my experience) so its easier to balance around.

Edit: Perhaps per scene (basically, overcoming an obstacle) would be better. Less worrying about resource management, -- while not a set length of time -- its easier to balance around, and it makes less bookwork. Spells would have to be less numerous and less versatile to compensate, however.

FATE does refresh basically as per-scene, per-session, per-adventure. Of those, I think per-session is maybe the most ambiguous? Like, I've had sessions end at a decent place to wrap up loose ends in comfort and safety, and I've also had them end in the middle of cliffhangers.

With FATE it's a little different because what's refreshing is basically stock footage or spotlight time, and not in very great quantities. But with something like wizard spells, where there's this big wad of fluff wrapped around exactly how you get them back, per-session is a little weird. Between adventures you can hole up in your lab and attune yourself to the universe; between fights you can take a few minutes to clear your mind and refocus.

(Yeah, I'm not exactly a big fan of "rest for an hour/rest for eight hours" either, because neither of those timescales make a lot of sense when you're going dungeoning.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The only problem with spellcasters as I see them is that their areas of expertise are too broad. I've got no problem with Loki being able to shapeshift into anything he wants as many times as he wants... as long as that's all he can do (levelling up gives better forms, I guess, to shoehorn him in to D&D). Or Gandalf being able to kill with a flash, drive off evil with beams of holy light, or create a magic shield of light to protect himself, as many times as he needs to. You only have to start doing per-day limits if you give them access to every spell you can think of, which is what the 2e/3e D&D wizard has.

You also get the thematic problem where every wizard packs the same set of spells once their player gets to a certain point. Everyone has fireball, improved invisibility, and fly, three spells that in any other medium would belong to three very differently themed wizards (EG: A Warhammer Bright Mage, a gnomish illusionist, and a classic witch on her broomstick). But having them all be accessible to any wizard that's ever made makes for themeless, boring spellcasters. I'd far rather see a party of an illusionist, a fire-wielding warmage, a shapeshifting Merlin-guy, and Gandalf, than a party of four wizards splitting those themes across each of their spell lists.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I still wish D&D had a full time shapeshifter, that doesn't get spells just has a full range of at will shapeshifting.

I liked the Shapeshifter variant of the Druid in 3.5, but it had a few problems. It added to stats, instead of replacing, which is fine except they used Enhancement as the type of bonus so they didn't stack with items. Of course it couldn't benefit from magic items anyway. Couldn't cast spells wile transformed, which would be fine if it was better than a normal Druid's Wild Shape, and couldn't make use of Natural Spell like a normal Druid. It was interesting, though I wish it got more forms and that some of the forms had special abilities. Like turning into a fire elemental actually did extra fire damage on a hit, and burned things that attacked it, maybe even a fiery aura kind of thing. It was just a huge downgrade from the normal Druid.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ryuujin posted:

I still wish D&D had a full time shapeshifter, that doesn't get spells just has a full range of at will shapeshifting.

I liked the Shapeshifter variant of the Druid in 3.5, but it had a few problems. It added to stats, instead of replacing, which is fine except they used Enhancement as the type of bonus so they didn't stack with items. Of course it couldn't benefit from magic items anyway. Couldn't cast spells wile transformed, which would be fine if it was better than a normal Druid's Wild Shape, and couldn't make use of Natural Spell like a normal Druid. It was interesting, though I wish it got more forms and that some of the forms had special abilities. Like turning into a fire elemental actually did extra fire damage on a hit, and burned things that attacked it, maybe even a fiery aura kind of thing. It was just a huge downgrade from the normal Druid.

I remember that fighters got a "Bear Warrior" prestige class in 3.5. You got to specialise your entire being into getting a fraction of one class feature that the dude who wrote "druid" on his character sheet got. That was awesome.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Glazius posted:

FATE does refresh basically as per-scene, per-session, per-adventure. Of those, I think per-session is maybe the most ambiguous? Like, I've had sessions end at a decent place to wrap up loose ends in comfort and safety, and I've also had them end in the middle of cliffhangers.

With FATE it's a little different because what's refreshing is basically stock footage or spotlight time, and not in very great quantities. But with something like wizard spells, where there's this big wad of fluff wrapped around exactly how you get them back, per-session is a little weird. Between adventures you can hole up in your lab and attune yourself to the universe; between fights you can take a few minutes to clear your mind and refocus.

(Yeah, I'm not exactly a big fan of "rest for an hour/rest for eight hours" either, because neither of those timescales make a lot of sense when you're going dungeoning.)

Honestly, the problem with per-session restrictions is that they're necessarily based on assumptions about how long a session is. One group only has time to play for two hours at a time; another runs full eight-hour sessions every weekend. How do you balance a 'per-session' resource to work well for both parties?

This is a problem I ran into FATE: the characters never seemed to run low on fate points, at least partially because our sessions weren't as long as the developers implicitly expected.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

PleasingFungus posted:

Honestly, the problem with per-session restrictions is that they're necessarily based on assumptions about how long a session is. One group only has time to play for two hours at a time; another runs full eight-hour sessions every weekend. How do you balance a 'per-session' resource to work well for both parties?

This is a problem I ran into FATE: the characters never seemed to run low on fate points, at least partially because our sessions weren't as long as the developers implicitly expected.

Ratcheting the numbers up one way or another (more enemies, tougher challenges) tends to work well for that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Personally I think it's a bigger problem is if you read about Loki and go "Yes. Wizard."

I remember several times when Avatar was first gaining it's popularity, a lot of people thought about how to make benders, and you inevitably got a group going "Well if you make a wizard with these spells..."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
For a hilarious example of this, Pathfinder's Mythic Adventures book gave all of the shapeshifting powers that didn't have to deal with Wild Shape to the Archmage archetype, and didn't give a single thing to the Trickster archetype despite it being, you know, one of the iconic features of tricksters in the trickster archetype such as Loki.

Tricksters don't even get stuff like this one:

quote:

Many Forms (Su)

You can alter your appearance at will as if using alter self. You can expend one use of mythic power to change shape as if using polymorph, with a duration of 1 minute per tier. Your caster level for this ability is a number equal to 10 + your tier. At 6th tier, the duration of the polymorph ability increases to 10 minutes per tier.

Despite it not requiring any casting ability and the fact that other archetypes also shared some of their abilities. Sure, the Trickster has the ability to take a feature from one other archetype, but that's hardly fair when the Archmage gets stuff like:

quote:

Shapeshifting Mastery (Ex)

Source Pathfinder Player Companion: Mythic Origins

Your ability to magically adopt other forms is unparalleled, and you can expertly translate your arcane might into brawn. You add half your tier to the caster level of spells or extracts from the polymorph subschool. While under the effects of a spell or extract of the polymorph subschool, you can use your caster level instead of your base attack bonus when making natural attacks that rely on your new form.

Because if there was one thing a wizard needed, it was to be a better fighter than the fighter whenever the wizard wanted it.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Participated in a level 20 playtest last night.

Yeah, game is pretty rough at that level. The GM threw a level 20 encounter at us, which was "a dozen giants". They all had mountains of HP, better attack bonuses than a Balor, and strength/constitution out the wazoo so that most fighter maneuvers had a hard time.

Noticed a few things. First, some abilities and feats are great at level 4, but they don't scale properly. Charger is amazing when you first get it, getting a +5 damage bonus is a really big deal. But then at level 5 if you Charge you don't get to make an extra attack. Meanwhile, a +1 attack/damage bonus is factoring in on all 8 attacks you make in a round. In the same way, the Dirty Trick maneuver will grant you Advantage on your next attack, which is really good at level 3 when you get it. But at level 20 you're, again, making 8 attacks, so you're going to attempt the Trip maneuver even if it only hits on a 9-10 on the d10, because that'll give every advantage on the party's attacks for the whole round. These things aren't really obvious at low level, but glaring at high level, and hopefully it'll be one of the first thing the math fixers notice.

Second, multiple attacks means that a fighter burns through maneuvers really fast. And other than Trip, the other maneuvers don't really stack up, again due to the "higher level threats means you and them make more attacks". Fighter's should start recovering dice much sooner. I'd go with

Level 3: If you start your turn with no superiority dice, recover 1 at the end of your turn.

Level 10: If you start your turn with no superiority dice, recover 1.

The other thing was high level is really lethal if you're a wizard when the enemies can hit you on a 5 and the Fighter doesn't really have an effective mechanic for tanking.

So yeah, while the math is working really well at the lower levels I've been playing at, really gets wonky at the high end.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

So I figured I'd throw this one out because riddling is fun.

I am low and yet have lower; my greatest point is a lie.
My namesake traveled by his name, but not to see poor I.
My third most large has a rival in my neighbor's prime.
My limits are a flawed arc, stolen river, and false lines.
So the answer to this one was Delaware. Perhaps a bit technical?

I am low and yet have lower; my greatest point is a lie.
Delaware's the lowest state in the US, the southern portions are affectionately known as Slower Lower (or Lower Slower, for an LSD joke), and the second highest point is Mount Cuba (not technically a mountain). [I was incorrect on thinking it was highest; the actual highest point is near the Ebright Azimuth.]

My namesake traveled by his name, but not to see poor I.
Thomas West, or Baron De La Warr, is the namesake of the state. He never actually visited but did travel west ("by his name") to the Virginia colony as governor.

My third most large has a rival in my neighbor's prime.
Both Delaware and its neighbor New Jersey have cities called Newark, though they're pronounced differently.

My limits are a flawed arc, stolen river, and false lines.
The "flawed arc" is the Twelve-Mile Circle to the north, and is technically several arcs feathered together. The "stolen river" refers to the fact that Delaware controls the Delaware river up to the low-tide mark on the Jersey side. The "false lines" refer to the north-south portion of the Mason-Dixon line (which has slight but systematic errors) and the Transpeninsular Line to the south (which was supposed to extend to Cape Henlopen instead of Fenwick Island, 24 miles south).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gort posted:

I remember that fightersbarbarians got a "Bear Warrior" prestige class in 3.5. You got to specialise your entire being into getting a fraction of one class feature that the dude who wrote "druid" on his character sheet got. That was awesome.

Fixed that for ya.

The Bear Warrior was actually alright if you were going for a lot of stat boosting on your Barbarian. I mean, you're already playing a 3.5 Barbarian, so you're never going to be top tier, but going 1 Bear Warrior then Warshaper was fun for a year in college where I was going out of my way to see just how high I could get my stats without doing any Wizard polymorphing or +X stat manual reading. Our DM had also houseruled that Druids didn't get an animal companion because it was too big a pain in the rear to keep track of, so that also leveled the playing field a little bit. It also helped that no one was interested in playing more seriously than beer and pretzels...

• Locked thread