Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

Basscop I expected better of you!

1:S - Come at me!
2:B - El!
3:X - Back up the beach a little, but otherwise stand our ground!
4:AB E - Put on our boots, grab our club and wait.

Guys, if we run it'll eat our dog! Let's make squid!

This is hero business. We'll just break it's ne...wait, where's its neck?

This is my vote, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Nettle Soup posted:

Snarls can generally keep pace with you when you run, he is faster than you over short distances.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1S.
2B.
3F. I know I picked S for 1 so in theory I shouldn't be able to do this, but I interpret my vote as 'run for safety, but be prepared to fight'.
4E.

So this is how it ends; naked, alone, wet and scared. Hopefully Tudiya's 'a heart full of El is stronger than any monster' remark wasn't just allegorical. :ohdear:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1. I
2. B Pray for the strength to prevail over evil!
3. D
4. ACE I

We can try to make a stand against this thing but we'll need everything we have, and some distance to formulate a plan. After grabbing our things we should head for the treeline.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. I
2. B
3. D
4. A, E, H, J

Also try and grab a torch from the fire.

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 19, 2013

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
About how large is the eyeball tentacle monster thing? Whale size, shark size, kraken-esque?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
1. I - LEGS, IF WE DIE, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!
2. B Elelelelelelelelelel!
3. C Head for the woods! We can come back for most our stuff later, once that thing is dealt with.
4. Put on the sandals of running forever (B) and grab your club (D)

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1: I: Holy crap!
2: B: A quick prayer couldn't hurt! As long as it's brief, I mean. El should get the idea.
3: D
4: A, B, C, E, K

It's still about half a mile away - we should have enough time to get our stuff situated and run, and it'd probably be a good idea to have some protection for our feet for our sprint away from mini-Chtulu!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't our offering of some pearls mean a lot more if we defeated the Kraken to get them? I have come around a bit and I think El has our back, but we still need to do some heavy lifting.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Nettle Soup posted:

:stare:

Anyway.

1: I. What else is there to do? Hopefully get into the forest and hope that the trees or other beasts will slow it down. If we reach scrubland, maybe Azz will do something?
2: B. If there's ever been a time to pray to El, it's now. Maybe if we were an Asherahn priest, there might have been some recourse in Asherah, but that path is far behind us, praying to Asherah will only kill us faster, if anything. There might be something in praying to the Lobster god, or the Whale Mother, but El seems a more direct bet, particularly with the way we've been dedicating ourself lately. Lobster guy, or even Azz, as a last resort though.
3: C. Get into the forest, hope the trees slow it down, etc. It's the only cover left to us, the beach sure as hell won't help. Avoid heading towards our camp at all costs, lest we lose everything we've amassed there; Kraken's sure to extinguish our fire, scatter our loot and crush our skull, and we'll get no appreciable gain from anything we have there. We can return to it later, hopefully.
4: A. Grab the sandals, if we're passing by them, just scoop them up. Don't stop to put them on, but they're the only thing we don't really want to lose, and they're sure to disappear if that monster runs over them.

I'm sure Snarls can fend for himself, but shout at Snarls to run for it while we're booking it past him.

Edit: Seriously though people, stay away from our camp. Unless maybe the El altar would make it consecrated ground or something, but that seems like a big risk, and it's never seemed to work that way before. Monsters even freely attacked Tudiya's caravan, and surely he's as blessed as they come.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 19, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Walrusmaster posted:

About how large is the eyeball tentacle monster thing? Whale size, shark size, kraken-esque?

The eyes size varies and come in human, whale and shark size.

It is a seething mass of tendrils, teeth, eyes and flesh morphing and slithering in and out of each other before your eyes, the creature is firmly in the "giant" category.

It is difficult to judge how big it is. Small enough that it can't get to the beach in one step. Large enough that it could crush any building in Zepath. Possibly Zepath? It is tough to judge the exact size of a giant amorphous horror half a mile out to sea with water churning before it. In the world you live in, it is probably better to measure it by comparing it to geographic features, than feet.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 19, 2013

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
1. You...

H. RUN!!

2. Do you yell, pray, plead, beg or otherwise ask for help? If so, to who?
B. El!

3. If you are running for it... where are you going?

B. STRAIGHT towards the forest!

4. Which of the following things do you do, each of which will slow you down? Pick as many as you want to
A. Grab my sandals.
C. Grab my clothes and belt.
E. Grab my club.

We can go back to the camp later to get our other stuff, hopefully the monster doesn't destroy everything

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Theglavwen posted:

Anyway.

1: I. What else is there to do? Hopefully get into the forest and hope that the trees or other beasts will slow it down. If we reach scrubland, maybe Azz will do something?
2: B. If there's ever been a time to pray to El, it's now. Maybe if we were an Asherahn priest, there might have been some recourse in Asherah, but that path is far behind us, praying to Asherah will only kill us faster, if anything. There might be something in praying to the Lobster god, or the Whale Mother, but El seems a more direct bet, particularly with the way we've been dedicating ourself lately. Lobster guy, or even Azz, as a last resort though.
3: C. Get into the forest, hope the trees slow it down, etc. It's the only cover left to us, the beach sure as hell won't help. Avoid heading towards our camp at all costs, lest we lose everything we've amassed there; Kraken's sure to extinguish our fire, scatter our loot and crush our skull, and we'll get no appreciable gain from anything we have there. We can return to it later, hopefully.
4: A. Grab the sandals, if we're passing by them, just scoop them up. Don't stop to put them on, but they're the only thing we don't really want to lose, and they're sure to disappear if that monster runs over them.

I'm sure Snarls can fend for himself, but shout at Snarls to run for it while we're booking it past him.

Edit: Seriously though people, stay away from our camp. Unless maybe the El altar would make it consecrated ground or something, but that seems like a big risk, and it's never seemed to work that way before. Monsters even freely attacked Tudiya's caravan, and surely he's as blessed as they come.

Seconded.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
1F: Run.
2B: El! Ask for either aid in escaping or a sign of whether we should remove this filth from the sea or not.
3D: Towards my camp so I can get what I left there!
4:A, B, E, H

I don't know if we can do this, but... if we seem to have a really long headstart on the critter, I also vote to bring J. the jackal skull.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines on IRC posted:

<Diog> It is ambiguously huge. It is tough to tell if it could squash Zepath.
<Diog> You have time to calmly gauge it now. Enkidel is in a bit of a hurry, so it's exact size is being left vague.
<Diog> If you want to vote to stay still for a few moments and gauge it's size, you can do that.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Nettle Soup posted:

I will go with this plus
  • make sure Snarls is not grabbable by any tentacles.
  • Make the thing get out of the water.
  • Tell Snarls to stay out of reach unless we are fully fighting it.
  • grab fishing spear(s) and if it is coming ashore aim for the eyes.
  • if we end up engaging, pick our ground and try to fight it near the altar.

Edit: It does seem to be getting much larger (building crushing size?) in more detailed description.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 19, 2013

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines in IRC posted:

All it wants is a hug

Maybe we should just go hug it.

1. I
2. El!
3. B
4. A
Run Snarls!

Don't gawk! It's big and it will eat us. That's all the information we need.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 19, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Voting yes to gauge size and then carry on with everything else.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tsyni posted:

Wouldn't our offering of some pearls mean a lot more if we defeated the Kraken to get them? I have come around a bit and I think El has our back, but we still need to do some heavy lifting.

When fighting creatures larger than buildings, escape is the generally accepted as a method of "defeating" them. If it doesn't eat us, we win.

1. We've seen the face of Asherah. After that, we're not going to panic over being chased by a little thing like this. We should probably get out of its way though.

2. I'm starting to think that these options in prayer votes are actually voting for self-reliance. El obviously doesn't have our back the way he's got Tudiya's. We've been told that over and over again and it is starting to look like we'll never have that level of support. Time to start learning to stand on our own.

to size gauging. We'll have a pretty good idea of how big it is by how many trees it knocks over at a time if it chases us into the forest.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Hmm... Given the slithering fungibility of limbs, it might also be regenerative like the forest lizards.

There is not necessarily a conflict between prayer and self reliance.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Anyway.

This seems like the best option, also No to trying to figure out how large it is since we already know that it's massive and we need to get as far away from it as possible.

Absum
May 28, 2013

1: I
2: B
3: B
4: BC

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1- I - Lets put some things between us and the cthulhu esque horror as fast as we can, shall we?
2 - D - pray to Smattas, as Smis (pretty sure they're one in the same- plus it'd be faster than relaying a message to him through El- we need those delicious arms of yours man!!
3 - B- gently caress the camp and what's in it, that stuffs no use to us if we're dead
4 - A, E - As above, plus clothes aren't that important in our immediate future either

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 20, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1. You...

I. RUN!!!!!!!

J. Ask that El make your climb up the mountain easy, a traditional prayer for those about to die.

F. To the altar!

4. Which of the following things do you do, each of which will slow you down? Pick as many as you want to
A. Grab my sandals.
B. ...and put on my sandals..
E. Grab my club.

(If you are going back to your camp...)
I. Grab the knife
J. The jackal skull.
K. All of the above.

If we grab the pearls we should sacrifice them on the altar.

I don't want to die, but I also do not want to get taken down running from this thing. Get our stuff and see what is up.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

HiHo ChiRho posted:

1. You...

I. RUN!!!!!!!

J. Ask that El make your climb up the mountain easy, a traditional prayer for those about to die.

F. To the altar!

A. Grab my sandals.
B. ...and put on my sandals..
E. Grab my club.

(If you are going back to your camp...)
I. Grab the knife
J. The jackal skull.
K. All of the above.

If we grab the pearls we should sacrifice them on the altar.

I don't want to die, but I also do not want to get taken down running from this thing. Get our stuff and see what is up.

I have reassessed based on the building crushing size of our sudden adversary.

Not sure, but I think it is mostly the above for me now. My intent would be that if we are going to fight it, the trees are probably a better terrain. Plan to fight it until we know whether or not we do. So I would have us focus on that aspect of equipment.

I am not sure about grabbing offerings/trophies. Do they need defending from the giant seething multi-eyed horror from the sea?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

5: Tell Snarls to run, that we'll catch up!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Just get away from this thing. Not only is it loving huge but its also covered in devouring maws eyes and tentacles. I know spiky maws and tentacles are huge death traps and based on our prior experience with monster eyes the situation doesnt look so good.
Sure we faced a 3 ft jackal monster and it was a hell of a fight. And we got pretty roughed up from it. This thing is just a whole bunch of levels more monstrous.
Dont... just dont. We havent even eaten any monster hearts yet.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I understand, but if we are going to run through anything, I want it to be while we have some means to defend ourselves and by running through an area we have consecrated for El.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Diogines posted:

Z. Something else, fill in.
I want to run for the treeline, dive for cover and then watch while creeping away.

I was re-reading our early Asherah lessons to see if it made sense that Asherah would be interested in punishing us, personally. I found these things:

quote:

Your father motions you to reach back into the rocks, to search for more snails, which you do, but he answers your question. "You will meet Asherah when it is your time to replace me and then it shall be your responsibility to see that his will is done. If you stop running off from your lessons. You have no choice in the matter, but this is a solemn and sacred duty and should you fail, our people will starve at best."

quote:

"Asherah does not care for the prosperity or suffering of our people, except that we obey his commandments. The rituals you will learn when you are a man, shall be those things most pleasing to Asherah, my son."

quote:

You tell your father that you thought you heard Asherah as a four year old. You pull a snail out of the rocks and drop it into the leather bag your father holds. He frowns. "Asherah does not speak to children and most certainly not to babes." He does not believe you.

We're not an adult in either culture. And Asherah doesn't seem to care about the morality of children. Plus, we haven't done anything to specifically disobey the Fish God. We've just been away.

So, it seems odd that the horror would be an instrument of wrath directed at us, specifically.

This means the creature is either a wandering monster or a divine messenger.

I don't think we can run from a divine messenger. And I don't think running is the best way to escape from a wondering horror. We'd probably attract less attention by moving slowly, under cover.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
My word, yes, let's all go to the sea and get pearls and become wealthy and famous. What a marvelous idea. The jackal skull wasn't enough, no, we need to really bling ourselves out!

And now we'll be lucky to get out of this alive with the cloak on our back. Even odds we'll be unable to recover anything we've gathered so far as an offering. I wonder how much longer we're going to need to stay out here to get a decent offering?

Also, someone please explain to me why anyone is suggesting that we fight what is in effect Cthulhu, and is at the very least a being so terrible and dangerous that it literally EMPTIES THE SEAS as it goes along. Hell, I'm offering even odds that this is ol' Asherah Empty-Belly himself and there are people suggesting that we attack it with a spiked club.

Right, voting.

1. I. We are getting the gently caress out of here, there are no other options remotely conducive to survival.

2. B. Given the poo poo we pulled with the jackal I think our El-Credit is probably good enough for a little bit of help here. And what the hell, what's the worst that can happen from praying for help? Is El going to decide that he REALLY doesn't like Magic Firestarting Experiments and trip us up if we ask him directly?

3. C. Our primary hope is that this son of a bitch doesn't like land and doesn't have much power there. Let's get as much land as we can between him and us. And even if that doesn't work, slowing down before he slows down doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me. The only time we stop is if we're good and certain he's not still coming after us.

4. A. The sandals are the only really, completely irreplaceable thing we've got. If need be we can try to hunt another monster, or find more pearls, or anything else for an offering. If need be we can create new tools from scratch. If need be we can build a new home. But we're not getting those sandals back if we lose them.

Actually, wait, I tell a lie. We have one other thing that's irreplaceable.

4b. If Snarls can't keep up, scoop him up too. We didn't want to leave him with Azzazel, we are sure as loving poo poo not leaving him to Asherah/Cthulhu/Tentacle Beast. If it comes to a choice between the sandals and Snarls, drop the sandals.

Looking behind minivote (is it a minivote?) I'm just going to leave this to higher authorities than myself.

Terry Prachett posted:

‘I never look back,’ said Rincewind firmly. ‘One of the first rules of running away is, never look back.’

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yeh, the altar is potentially both a target and a weapon.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Nettle Soup posted:

This, we're in Zepa's line and fighting Asherah spawn, we can totally take it.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Basscop posted:

Dont... just dont. We havent even eaten any monster hearts yet.

Oh, come on. How are we supposed to get any monster hearts if we just run away? I'm sure this thing has a huge heart. Possibly several.

My vote:

1. F
2. K
3. D
4. K Except the knife. Leave the knife. We can make another, I assume, if the "stops to pick up all his loot" Enkidel I'm voting for actually survives this encounter.

Don't bother gauging size. Just move.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I think the best plan is to put on the sandals (we can run faster and farther I'd we don't get fatigued), grab the unbreakable spines as a weapon, and book it into the forest.

Edit: I firmly agree with anything Terry Pratchet says. Don't look back when running, it will just slow us down.

Walrusmaster fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 20, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

falcon2424 posted:

We'd probably attract less attention by moving slowly, under cover.

Given that it breached the surface just when we got out of the beach and that all the fish disappeared long before we did, I think it's a little late to try and hide. Good odds on the fact that it sees us and it's chasing us right the hell now for whatever reason. Let's hope it just wants to cuddle.

Walrusmaster posted:

I think the best plan is to put on the sandals (we can run faster and farther I'd we don't get fatigued), grab the unbreakable spines as a weapon, and book it into the forest.

I think putting on the sandals is a good idea in the long term, since it helps us over time. Trying to put them on actively slows us down in the short term, however, and if the short term goes all pear-shaped there is no long term worth worrying about. Let's just beat feet.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I understand, but if we are going to run through anything, I want it to be while we have some means to defend ourselves and by running through an area we have consecrated for El.

At this point "having something to defend ourselves with" is probably more psychological comfort than practical use, given the scale of what's coming after us. Are our odds of surviving a combat against something huge with tentacles and sharp teeth really all that much better with the addition of a spiked club? And that's assuming of course that what we see is what we get and its eyes can't shoot laser beams or whatever. Conversely, having to pick up the club and carry it along with whatever else we're picking up IS going to significantly slow us down. I'd suggest that it'd be better to focus on one survival strategy instead of trying to run two survival strategies at once, thereby diluting both. I'll grant that if we pick almost nothing up and get caught we'll be pretty well hosed, but even WITH the club we'll be pretty well hosed if we get caught, so we might as well try our best not to get caught at all.

The idea about the altar is more interesting, though. Personally I wouldn't rely on it, but given our previous track record trying to have a heart full of El may well provide dividends.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

1:E . Purge the monstrosity in the name of EL!
2: B. We are loyal to EL, let him prove that loyalty goes both ways!
3: B
4: E We might be naked but we'll be damned if we are caught unarmed

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

1. I
2. B
3. B

Grab everything we can when we ditch that sucker, hopefully it isn't very fast on land, and/or the trees will slow it down. If its following us, just run in a big cemicircle through the trees to camp, grab everything, then haul rear end back into the trees.
Don't guage it's size till we are in the tree line at the very earliest.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
This is the entire point of our trial. We need to kill this thing with the aid of El and return to Zepath an accomplished slayer of horrors committed to keeping the world safe.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

1. You...

I. RUN!!!!!!!

I don't think we're quite on the level of battling eldritch horrors yet.

A. No, I do not.

B. STRAIGHT towards the forest!

Don't go to the camp, this thing will just mow over it and all will be lost. We can retrace our steps to retrieve our things later, I doubt it has interest in looting our stuff so much as devouring us or anything else it can find.

A. Grab my sandals.

The sandals are the only thing there that are actually valuable and irreplaceable. Even in a worst case scenario where we cant return to our camp, we can find a way to make new clothing and tools and get a new sacrifice before we make our way back to Zepath. Survival is most important right now.

Additionally should this thing be persistent, slipping our sandals on later will allow us to continue fleeing without fatigue until we can get somewhere safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Theglavwen posted:

Anyway.

This.

I feel like, our own experiences to the contrary, we should know that stubbornness and gumption won't win the day every the time.

Diog, this may have been asked and answered already but have we heard any tales of heroes being outmatched and having to retreat at first?