Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Autumncomet posted:

I'm not good at anime, what's this referencing? :(

Got my hands on volume 6, have the Kodansha translations of their names:
http://i.imgur.com/RfjGSuF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qAUA8qW.jpg

How do they get 'Hange', exactly? I've seen that crop up elsewhere and it just irritates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BdaaN posted:

Not certain, just reminded me a lot of

I thought about this image also when I saw it. Would have guessed it was the inspiration but maybe not?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Floating character pyramids are a thing in every movie poster, but I think Star Wars originally made it iconic

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Syrant posted:

How do they get 'Hange', exactly? I've seen that crop up elsewhere and it just irritates me.

If I remember right, Hange is the proper spelling and also an actual (fairly common) German surname.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I like how a good proportion of those headshots are :stonk: faces. This is such a stonky property.

E: Except for Marco, who is

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Have this instead.

Nobita is cool and good.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since mostly everyone's moved over from the anime thread, I'll just mention that the anime's second OST is now out.

Good luck guessing the track names this time. Sawano didn't even bother with his usual codes.

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Since mostly everyone's moved over from the anime thread, I'll just mention that the anime's second OST is now out.

Good luck guessing the track names this time. Sawano didn't even bother with his usual codes.

Have a link to a FLAC download? all i can find are terrible quality ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Those scenes with Oluo/Aruo biting his tongue make me cringe more than anything else in this series.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Found it here.

:stare:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If I remember right, Hange is the proper spelling and also an actual (fairly common) German surname.

No, it's not! Hange is an exceedingly rare German name, if at all. Also, it would sound like "hung-eh" spelled out loud, which is... Not at all what the SnK character's name is supposed to sound like.

Huber is a very common name (like Bert... Hoover?), Braus or Kraus (Sasha) could be a common name, Braun is common, just like Jäger, there's about 37 thousand people called Lenz in Germany, and you're quite likely to meet the occasional Bott, Kirstein and Schultz when wandering around central/west Europe. But Hange? No.
According to this geographic genealogy site, there's a grand total of 13 phone lines registered to Hange in all of Germany. I can't be bothered to look up similar sites for the neighboring countries.

I'm not sure what exactly the name is supposed to sound like in Japanese, but you can be sure that Hange is just an Americanization of the phonetic spelling instead of whatever it was supposed to be.

Unless it was supposed to be an English name, i guess.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 16, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

HenryEx posted:

No, it's not! Hange is an exceedingly rare German name, if at all. Also, it would sound like "hung-eh" spelled out loud, which is... Not at all what the SnK character's name is supposed to sound like.

Huber is a very common name (like Bert... Hoover?), Braus or Kraus (Sasha) could be a common name, Braun is common, just like Jäger, there's about 37 thousand people called Lenz in Germany, and you're quite likely to meet the occasional Bott, Kirstein and Schultz when wandering around central/west Europe. But Hange? No.
According to this geographic genealogy site, there's a grand total of 13 phone lines registered to Hange in all of Germany. I can't be bothered to look up similar sites for the neighboring countries.

I'm not sure what exactly the name is supposed to sound like in Japanese, but you can be sure that Hange is just an Americanization of the phonetic spelling instead of whatever it was supposed to be.

Unless it was supposed to be an English name, i guess.

It's supposed to sound like Hanji (identical to this). Also Hanji is the given name in the original Japanese, and Zoe the family name. Presumably with Isayama's blessing they changed it around for the English release.

Without any knowledge of German naming conventions I'd guess it's meant to be "Hansi" which is apparently gender-neutral.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 16, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
The best argument I've heard is that its supposed to be Hansi, a feminized derivative of the name Hans.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Watched the whole season of Anime, decided to read entirety of manga from start to end (chapter 50) and WOW am I glad I jumped in exactly when I did. Chapter 50 tying off that story means I feel like I'm complete. Was actually fist pumping when I came to the realization that Eren is essentially the Commander of a Titan RTS game. Still kinda miffed that I haven't seen his basement, know wtf coordinates are for, why Historia matters at all, what's with the monkey, how humans are getting transformed, what the inner circle really knows, and what's with the titans in the walls... but still enjoying the plot nonetheless.

BTW I really don't think that "titan in the wall" stinger in the anime is as bad as all you readers insist it was.

Have to say the funniest thing in the entire manga was when Reiner pulled Eren over and just casually remarked "hey, bro, listen, I'm the armored titan and bert here's the colossal one, come join us!" Just had to stop reading and crack up laughing. Although you guys ruined the anime thread by making it extremely obvious who was who (you guys are assholes, btw) it was still quite interesting being able to read the manga from the start with those facts in mind. Makes certain panels make a whole lot of foreshadowing sense.

So, since I've finished, are there any facts that are obvious to all you analytical/conversational types that I probably missed on my own and now that I'm just jumping into this thread?

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Watched the whole season of Anime, decided to read entirety of manga from start to end (chapter 50) and WOW am I glad I jumped in exactly when I did. Chapter 50 tying off that story means I feel like I'm complete. Was actually fist pumping when I came to the realization that Eren is essentially the Commander of a Titan RTS game. Still kinda miffed that I haven't seen his basement, know wtf coordinates are for, why Historia matters at all, what's with the monkey, how humans are getting transformed, what the inner circle really knows, and what's with the titans in the walls... but still enjoying the plot nonetheless.

BTW I really don't think that "titan in the wall" stinger in the anime is as bad as all you readers insist it was.

Have to say the funniest thing in the entire manga was when Reiner pulled Eren over and just casually remarked "hey, bro, listen, I'm the armored titan and bert here's the colossal one, come join us!" Just had to stop reading and crack up laughing. Although you guys ruined the anime thread by making it extremely obvious who was who (you guys are assholes, btw) it was still quite interesting being able to read the manga from the start with those facts in mind. Makes certain panels make a whole lot of foreshadowing sense.

So, since I've finished, are there any facts that are obvious to all you analytical/conversational types that I probably missed on my own and now that I'm just jumping into this thread?

you forgot to mention that mikasa won the eren.

BdaaN fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 16, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Although you guys ruined the anime thread by making it extremely obvious who was who (you guys are assholes, btw)

A lot of people in this thread were actually pissed off at the people doing that, but there's not a whole lot we can do beyond report it when someone does that. v:v:v

And I think Historia matters because she might actually know something about whatever the big mystery is and unlike the wall cultists she didn't take any sort of oath and might actually be sane enough to spill it if asked.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
If people are posting pictures I can share this Work-In-Progress drawing of Chuckles, my favourite titan:

He's so happy to see you. :allears:

Elfforkusu
Jan 15, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

:getin:

Been looking for a few tracks that weren't in the first OST.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Historia is a big deal because she is a disowned daughter from a major Wall Cult family, which means she probably knows part of or a great deal of what the Wall Cult knows about the wall titans. Or even bigger mysteries.

TheKingofSprings posted:

A lot of people in this thread were actually pissed off at the people doing that, but there's not a whole lot we can do beyond report it when someone does that. v:v:v

I never read the manga but it seemed somewhat obvious from a narrative perspective that the titan that kind of looked like Annie in many ways was going to be Annie. And then all you had to do was re-watch previous episodes with this assumption to identify who Armored Titan probably was. It also confirmed that Female Titan was Annie just based on her weird behavior and the fact that she and Reiner had some kind of connection going on. Although Bert was also silently in a lot of those damning scenes, sweating silently and invisibly.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 16, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Dumble perst.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Try "Hantsch"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

genericnick posted:

Try "Hantsch"

That's closer to ハンツ than ハンジ. "Hansi" is still the closest one I've seen so far.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
What is the song that starts here? The one with the wibbly guitars that plays during Jean's Great Slideshow Escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOHy52PWF9s&t=1254s

I can only find it on full soundtrack links, the timestamps claim it's either army-attack or counter-attack-mankind but looking up those individual tracks doesn't bear that out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's the fifth track on the OST which I'm pretty sure is meant to be named "Mankind's Counter-Attack." The songs in general on the OST sort of blend together into full tracks when they seem like they should be separate at times which makes for a weird yet fitting dissonance.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Captain Backslap posted:

Historia is a big deal because she is a disowned daughter from a major Wall Cult family, which means she probably knows part of or a great deal of what the Wall Cult knows about the wall titans. Or even bigger mysteries.

I never read the manga but it seemed somewhat obvious from a narrative perspective that the titan that kind of looked like Annie in many ways was going to be Annie. And then all you had to do was re-watch previous episodes with this assumption to identify who Armored Titan probably was. It also confirmed that Female Titan was Annie just based on her weird behavior and the fact that she and Reiner had some kind of connection going on. Although Bert was also silently in a lot of those damning scenes, sweating silently and invisibly.

You are one of those sperlords. Stop it, you are not fooling anyone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man the soundtrack so so loving good, I kind of almost ignored it during the show because I was so intent on the action.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

change my name posted:

AOT was insanely popular at Comic con. There were tons of girls dressed as everyone but Eren (including some great "dead Marcos").

My personal favorite was a Cleaning Levy I passed on the escalators, so sadly, no pictures.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Backslap posted:

Freddie Wong crew has an Attack on Titan game party.

Game has come a long way since I tried to play it last. Still looks clunky as heck though, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV2OAgm-IOw

I know this is from a few pages ago, but where can I get this game? It looks pretty fun.

nevermind found it

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 17, 2013

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cmykjester posted:

I know this is from a few pages ago, but where can I get this game? It looks pretty fun.

Right here.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
With regards to Historia, the impression I got wasn't so much that she knows something, but that her family status would allow the Wall Priest guy to tell her everything without breaking his oaths. It would then be her decision whether or not to keep the secrets, because she never took the oaths herself. A loophole in his inability to spill the beans, basically.

Granted, an impression from fan-translated dialogue is a pretty flimsy thing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Well, I knew Historia was a key to the gate of information concerning the wall cult's secrets. I can understand how what I said would make you all describe exactly that fact, so my apologies for saying it in a dumb way which in turn made you explain something obvious. I actually meant two other things when I said "why she matters at all." Firstly, why does she matter to Ymir and/or the titan village people? To tie into this, secondly, why does she matter for getting information about the wall cult when there's a titan village full of people who probably already know and are doing poo poo to gently caress it all up?

If we assume the titan village people know wall cult secrets, then that means there's something to the walls other than the idea that they will soon crumble, titans will come out, and humanity within the walls will be hosed. I say other because the way Bert and Reiner talk makes it seem like this is an inevitability that they've already predicted. If this is true, then the titan village people want Historia either for some other secret or simply because they know she's the only person who could tell the people within the walls what's going on, which could be something the titan village people want to prevent. This also assumes Ymir was not making poo poo up when she was insisting she wanted to take Historia to titan village in order to atone for something. Finally, this would mean Historia is only partially important at all because those living within the walls could simply go out, find the titan village people (Reiner and Bert leave big tracks) and suck some information out of them via happy torture fun time.

If we assume the titan village people don't know the wall cult secrets, then sure, she's super important to both sides, but it brings up the question of what Bert and Reiner are so afraid of for the humans living within the walls. Since they only just found out about the titan walls, they're referring to some other apocalyptic event happening. Does Historia's knowledge even matter if they think the walled lands are hosed anyway? And was Ymir lying about needing Christa for anything other than hugs and kisses?

This is the mercurial situation of Historia's importance which I was trying to refer to in too few words. Now that it's all out there, thoughts?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
Historia is important to Ymir and Reiner because they want in her pants.

The way they talk about the wall civilization being doomed seems to have more to do with resources running dry than anything else. Although it may also be that they know something about Monkey Trouble and he's bad news for the wall people.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
I'm not sure anyone still posts in the anime thread. So, I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxzPQUqzac

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Bisensual posted:

I'm not sure anyone still posts in the anime thread. So, I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxzPQUqzac

What is this? Is this a Lelouch thing or a Death Note thing ... ?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
"I am Kira"

Yeah, it's a Deathnote thing.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I've been doing a reread, and it's fun watching Bert and Ernie knowing what we know now, but the biggest question I have now (beyond the big ones) was why some of the titans at Utgard were attacking each other in the opening pages of chapter 39. We know that 'normal' titans attack human-titans, but all of titans at Utgard came from the same place and most of them seem intent on hunting the humans inside, so why did one of the smaller class titans turn on another small titan while the vast bulk of them were sieging the tower?

So many questions, November can't come fast enough.

MMania
May 7, 2008

ATP_Power posted:

I've been doing a reread, and it's fun watching Bert and Ernie knowing what we know now, but the biggest question I have now (beyond the big ones) was why some of the titans at Utgard were attacking each other in the opening pages of chapter 39. We know that 'normal' titans attack human-titans, but all of titans at Utgard came from the same place and most of them seem intent on hunting the humans inside, so why did one of the smaller class titans turn on another small titan while the vast bulk of them were sieging the tower?

We know that there isn't a breach in the wall, and crazy monkey man seems to be carrying out a plan that's bad news for the humans. My guess is that he turned the people in that village into low-grade Titans, aka all Titans were once human. Since they were new, they didn't understand the rules yet. Or possibly they still smelled human enough to warrant in-fighting.

Honestly I'm so burnt out over them dangling that god drat key in front of our faces that I just want some motivation from the Titan humans. They've had dozens of opportunities already, arrrgh. No way it's as simple as "we think we're better than humans that can't turn into Titans."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMania posted:

Honestly I'm so burnt out over them dangling that god drat key in front of our faces that I just want some motivation from the Titan humans. They've had dozens of opportunities already, arrrgh. No way it's as simple as "we think we're better than humans that can't turn into Titans."

Remember that there are at least three factions to this whole thing. The brainless titans, the human-titans, and the humans. To me it seems pretty clear that the human-titans are looking for a way to get Eren in order to use his power to stand a chance against the brainless titans (and the monkey or whomever is their "leader").

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The problem is that according to Reiner, their objective was to destroy all the humans within the walls. It doesn't really fit with wanting to find the coordinate/coordinator. That the human-titans want to control the brainless titans makes much more sense, since that'd probably be an overriding concern when you're living in the middle of titan-infested wilderness.

Remember that the humans can be transmogrified into mindless Titans. Destroying all humans would reduce the number of future foes that they'll have. Kinda like in lovely zombie stories

So the plan was to destroy all of them but they realized that there was a better option. But they do need to bring proof back or they are going to be court - martialed for failing their mission. Seems to me like the human-giants must be few in numbers since, apparently, they can only get their powers by eating another one. They must have lost access to whatever technology it was that created them originally (and which Eren's dad probably has)