Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
You could also try the following playlist. It features nearly 4000 tracks, so you'll probably find something to your liking:
http://open.spotify.com/user/benuaq/playlist/0f5CAY9LBlFgJlQeeSaBut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Catman Begins posted:

I find that listening to ambient music helps me concentrate at work. At the moment I'm listening to The Social Network OST and the Mass Effect OST, but during a 9-10 hour shift they get a bit stale on repeat.

I'm looking for music with no lyrics, something fairly upbeat and modern. Does anyone have any playlists they listen to or perhaps recommendations?

NIN's Ghosts I-IV is very similar to The Social Network.

Not upbeat, but Stars of the Lid is definitely very ambient.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Try The Flashbulb, Solar Fields, Brian Eno (music for airports) , Girl with the dragon tatoo OST, Book of Eli OST, Benn Jordan (pale blue dot) , and browse through Nine Inch Nails albums to find the chill songs like A warm place.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is there a way to sync a playlist from your computer to your phone and keep it in loving order? I found my old Kelptones mp3s and I'd like to keep 24 Hours in order but even if I organize it on my computer, when I put it on my phone it just goes "nope gently caress you" and dumps it all in alphabetical order. It's driving me nuts.

Edit: Never mind. It just seems to kind of do it eventually if it wants to.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 1, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I see an update is available as of 4:07 PM ET, 10/03/13. Has anyone downloaded it? Did it break the application again?

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
What radio is better? Spotify or Pandora?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

numbs posted:

What radio is better? Spotify or Pandora?

Pandora. Hands down.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Brock Landers posted:

Pandora. Hands down.

That's what I've always thought.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just want a way to randomize my Starred tracks and keep that randomized list order. I'm sick of putting it on Shuffle and hearing the same 30 songs out of 600 every single time. I don't know if their shuffler is just dumb or if it tries to play things it thinks you want to hear but either way it's horrible, there are huge chunks of the list that I've never had come up on shuffle. Just let me randomize it once and play through the whole thing in sessions. :argh:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I just want a way to randomize my Starred tracks and keep that randomized list order. I'm sick of putting it on Shuffle and hearing the same 30 songs out of 600 every single time. I don't know if their shuffler is just dumb or if it tries to play things it thinks you want to hear but either way it's horrible, there are huge chunks of the list that I've never had come up on shuffle. Just let me randomize it once and play through the whole thing in sessions. :argh:

Don't think so :(

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah it just picks random stuff regardless of what came before.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So the latest update brought back total playlist time :toot:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Mine keeps telling to restart to update. Constantly. No matter if I restart or not.

Anyone else have that issue?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Try running with admin privileges if you installed spotify in program files.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

You can't choose where Spotify is installed - the Windows version is always in C:\Users\(Windows Username)\AppData\Roaming\Spotify. All users have rights to their Appdata folder, which is probably why Spotify chose this.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
How do you organize your music? I've had Spotify for 3 years and I love it, however I can't seem to find an effecient way to manage and organize my music.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Spotify seems to be actively hostile to the concept as far as I can tell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

numbs posted:

How do you organize your music? I've had Spotify for 3 years and I love it, however I can't seem to find an effecient way to manage and organize my music.

Alphabetical isn't good enough? :confused:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
If Spotify allowed a view that sorted all of your chosen songs by artist (as in, condensed) like the classic view in iTunes, it would be the end all, be all of every music player. It's more playlist oriented.

Like this:

ignore the red marks.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 19, 2013

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

89 posted:

If Spotify allowed a view that sorted all of your chosen songs by artist (as in, condensed) like the classic view in iTunes, it would be the end all, be all of every music player. It's more playlist oriented.

Like this:

ignore the red marks.

Isn't that what the Library view is (when sorted by artist) (yes my name is all over that but I don't care so)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I tried making playlist when I got spotify, but said gently caress it, and just jammed all tracks I listen to on a regular basis in my starred list, and use the sorting/shuffle options on that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samopsa posted:

I tried making playlist when I got spotify, but said gently caress it, and just jammed all tracks I listen to on a regular basis in my starred list, and use the sorting/shuffle options on that.

Same here. I probably wouldn't even use it if not for the Star feature, because Internet Radio Stations always play me poo poo I don't care about. (Now Playing: Artists Similar To Pavement: Lynyrd Skynyrd, "That Smell"). :what:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pavement would have a smell though, some next order playlist generation. But yeah I just toss everything into starred, or "PUT ON PHONE" for stuff I want to listen to in the car or walking around or whatever.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Samopsa posted:

That is also what I do. It is no different than how I used iTunes, honestly.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Samopsa posted:

This is why I still use itunes and rely on streaming services as try before you buy option. They don't give you any meaningful way to manage the music you star, which means you're just playing from oceans of varying sizes.

Edit: For me, the way I use itunes is drastically different than the way I use any streaming service.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 19, 2013

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

This is why I still use itunes and rely on streaming services as try before you buy option. They don't give you any meaningful way to manage the music you star, which means you're just playing from oceans of varying sizes.

Edit: For me, the way I use itunes is drastically different than the way I use any streaming service.

I just kinda look up bands I want to listen to, as if my "library" is just the whole of spotify. But I kinda tend to listen to whole albums in a go.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Spotify's UI pissed me off so much i switched to Rdio. Same catalogue, much better Android app and their collection system at least makes sense. But it seems they are finally moving towards copying it, so i might switch back once its added, as i do miss the better third-party app support Spotify has.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

numbs posted:

They've said a Collections feature similar to Rdio's is on its way for about a year now.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
I have been a Spotify subscriber for about a year now and have been loving it. Their are issues with tracks magically disappearing and reappearing at times (found DANGERDOOM on Spotify and a month later it's gone) but all in all both the convenience and social aspect of the app make it hard for me to want to switch to anything else.

I do have one question for all of you out there though: Has anyone tried out Grooveshark's mobile app yet, and what do you think?

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
Boards of Canada is now on Spotify, yeeees.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
How does the Offline Mode work exactly and can I use it when I have no internet connection? For example, I set one of my playlists to Offline Mode on my laptop, let the ~100 tracks sync, but when I get to work and start up Spotify and try to listen to that play list (no internet connection there) none of my songs are available to listen to. What gives? :argh:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Have you tried also setting the client itself in offline mode (File->Offline Mode)?

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
It works on my desktop computer, but at the same time I have internet connection. Do you still need an internet connection for offline mode?

Found this:

Spotify Premium allows you to play your playlists offline. It’s perfect for plane rides, the subway, or just about anywhere you don’t have an Internet connection.

It still won't work on my laptop at work though.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
It needs to be the same computer you've synced the offline playlist to. I have a ton of offline playlists on my phone, but they aren't synced on my laptop or my work computer.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dangerous Mind posted:

How does the Offline Mode work exactly and can I use it when I have no internet connection? For example, I set one of my playlists to Offline Mode on my laptop, let the ~100 tracks sync, but when I get to work and start up Spotify and try to listen to that play list (no internet connection there) none of my songs are available to listen to. What gives? :argh:

It sounds like you're downloading the songs to your laptop, and then expecting them to magically appear on some random other computer that has no internet connection?

And yeah premium is great just for the ability to download stuff to your phone and use in the car and on the metro and stuff.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Just in case you weren't syncing on a different computer, can you explain how the songs fail to play? Do they appear exactly as in non-synced playlists? Do they appear available but just fail to play? Also, does "no internet at work" mean that you are not connected to anything, or are you still connected to some kind of internal network?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Oh my goodness there is a Browse tab now and it has a "new releases" button.

I'm so happy I don't have to use their worthless Discover tab anymore.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It sounds like you're downloading the songs to your laptop, and then expecting them to magically appear on some random other computer that has no internet connection?

And yeah premium is great just for the ability to download stuff to your phone and use in the car and on the metro and stuff.

No, I have Spotify on both my desktop and my laptop. I want to listen to Spotify on my laptop when I am at work where there is no internet connection. So when I was home I went on my Laptop and synced a couple playlists for Offline Mode. When I am at home with internet connection the Offline Mode worked. However, when I went to work (where there is no internet connection) and tried listening to Offline Mode, it was as if none of the songs had synced onto my laptop.

Does that mean Offline Mode only works with an internet connection? Because if that is the case then I really don't see the loving point of it...

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Dangerous Mind posted:

No, I have Spotify on both my desktop and my laptop. I want to listen to Spotify on my laptop when I am at work where there is no internet connection. So when I was home I went on my Laptop and synced a couple playlists for Offline Mode. When I am at home with internet connection the Offline Mode worked. However, when I went to work (where there is no internet connection) and tried listening to Offline Mode, it was as if none of the songs had synced onto my laptop.

Does that mean Offline Mode only works with an internet connection? Because if that is the case then I really don't see the loving point of it...

Are you putting it on Offline Mode at home while you still have internet, or not changing it until you get to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dangerous Mind posted:

No, Offline Mode definitely works without an internet connection because it would make no sense for them to call it Offline Mode if you needed to be online. You need to be connected when you first sync everything on your phone or laptop or whatever you're using, but after that it should be available anytime on whatever you downloaded the stuff to. I had some trouble getting stuff downloaded to my phone at first, like it would say it was available offline, but some things didn't automatically download and I had to switch it on and off to get it to work sometimes. I didn't have any trouble with my computer, but maybe that's what's going on with you? Maybe try turning off Offline Mode and then switching it back to see if stuff starts syncing, that's really the only thing I can think of to do.

• Locked thread