Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I have been listening to this Caladan Brood album a bit. It's really corny, but I like it. The dude from Gallowbraid is in this band I guess. I realize most of you will find this to be terrible. But I like it. Maybe it's because I am a fan of the Steven Erikson books that this album/band seems to be based on.

Anything else out there that is similar to this and Gallowbraid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTAozE0yXc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They're basically a Summoning tribute act. So Summoning. And Kinstrife & Blood.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The Clit Avoider posted:

They're basically a Summoning tribute act. So Summoning. And Kinstrife & Blood.

Checking out Summoning right now. I like it. Definitely see the influence there. Thank you.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Also important: the crazy South American version of synthy epic black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0t5eaaBn-4

I recommend listening to both albums and the EP between them to get a better idea of what the band is like, it's unusual enough that it's tough to offer a single song as a snapshot of what the band does.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
South American Black Metal owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bF3o9LgVE

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

I agree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-ERpmsqtA

Also, the new Oranssi Pazuzu album is streaming here and it's pretty sweet. If you like prog you'll probably dig it. http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/exclusive-finlands-black-metal-psychonauts-oranssi-pazuzu-stream-mindblowing-new-album-in-full/

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I too, love south american black metal. It rules.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I figure this is the best place to ask, so which is the best Sabbat (JP) album? I've been meaning to check them out for a while and I don't really know where to start.

Also did anyone else check out the new Urfaust material? I really liked Die Erste Levitation but I wasn't as keen on the King Dude split. I think the atmosphere on the King Dude split would've worked better as a longer release than as a 7" though.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask, so which is the best Sabbat (JP) album? I've been meaning to check them out for a while and I don't really know where to start.

Tough to say really. Can't go wrong with the first three though, Envenom, Disembody, Evoke. Also it is a compilation, but Black Up Your Soul is a great mix of tracks from those albums and more, including a 13 minute version of Mion's Hill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5lElLB6e0

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The amount of live releases, splits, compilations and EPs Gezol has put out is just mindboggling.

Also check out this weird and largely talentless Russian guy http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Senmuth/90703

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Missing the kvltest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otq6mOcrfiM

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Oh I was just linking new stuff. The classics could be a book!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Crossposting from the vanilla metal thread:

QPZIL posted:

So, a couple years ago I see that Nachtmystium's Blake Judd is trying to raise funds for their next album (this was right before they recorded "Silencing Machine"). I emailed back and forth with Blake and he was going to sell me a couple limited pressing LPs for $50. I paypalled him, and gave it a few weeks. Emailed him to check up. Nothing. Emailed him a month later, no response. Emailed him a couple months later, no response.

Flash forward to today, I see that he's been arrested on theft charges because he's been doing that poo poo to tons of people, along with stealing from bandmates, allegedly stealing a guitar from a band they played with, even supposedly forging contractual documents so that he can steal royalty money. The guys who run HHB and NWN! even posted about sending him hundreds of dollars to buy CDs from him - both guys trying to buy the same CDs, neither of them getting anything! (Granted: I don't know what exactly he's being charged with in this case, that's just other stuff I've heard through the grapevine.)

Mugshot:

I guess I should have know better than to send money to a well-known heroin and cocaine addict. Whatever, I'm surprised nobody's beaten the poo poo out of him yet. Dickhead.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :)

So I guess it turns out Blake Judd is a scummy rear end in a top hat who steals poo poo from people.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Cross posting from the Metal thread but the new Shining 8 ½ - Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd, is turning out to be a pretty crazy release. Each of the songs are sung by a different front man. Gaahl, Famine, Maniac, and Atilla, each take a song and they are all awesome. It is a lot more raw and dirtier than their previous but I am liking it so far, defiantly buying this poo poo for sure.

Edit-Attila is the loving man

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 9, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

To Battle posted:

Cross posting from the Metal thread but the new Shining 8 ½ - Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd, is turning out to be a pretty crazy release. Each of the songs are sung by a different front man. Gaahl, Famine, Maniac, and Atilla, each take a song and they are all awesome. It is a lot more raw and dirtier than their previous but I am liking it so far, defiantly buying this poo poo for sure.

Edit-Attila is the loving man

Where did you see that each song has a different vocalist?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Where did you see that each song has a different vocalist?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Shining/8_%C2%BD_-_Feberdr%C3%B6mmar_i_vaket_tillst%C3%A5nd/384181

It's also worth noting that the songs are re-recordings of old material, which accounts for it sounding rawer than the previous couple of albums.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

To Battle posted:

Cross posting from the Metal thread but the new Shining 8 ½ - Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd, is turning out to be a pretty crazy release. Each of the songs are sung by a different front man. Gaahl, Famine, Maniac, and Atilla, each take a song and they are all awesome.

I had read this as well on an earlier review.

Angry Metal Guy

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 9, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
What are some blissfully long melodic songs like the two tracks on Moonsorrow's Viides Luku - Havitetty.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

thylacine posted:

What are some blissfully long melodic songs like the two tracks on Moonsorrow's Viides Luku - Havitetty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuTO3FVwEs

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm going to see Watain-- what's the protocol? Wear lovely clothes? I've got a two-hour dive back home afterward, should I bring a change for the car?

edit: vvv I meant in terms of dealing with the rotting corpse smell (or do they not do that any more?)

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 11, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Wear a Dissection shirt, cross your arms, and don't smile. Talk about Satan a lot and try not to laugh.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

I'm going to see Watain-- what's the protocol? Wear lovely clothes? I've got a two-hour dive back home afterward, should I bring a change for the car?

edit: vvv I meant in terms of dealing with the rotting corpse smell (or do they not do that any more?)

I don't know if they're doing it this tour, but I know they only didn't do it for their last tour because it was a hazard to Nergal's frail health.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So apparently the new Avichi album is out but I can't find a single thing about it. Did it actually come out?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I don't know if they're doing it this tour, but I know they only didn't do it for their last tour because it was a hazard to Nergal's frail health.

Nope, no guts. Good show though. One of their guitarists is just shy of 17 feet tall.

Scunthog
Jul 22, 2003
Just heard the news that Fanisk have split up... Hopefully the Kataxu follow up (if its ever released) will fill that symphonic void now left. Unless anyone has any recommendations in the same vein as Fanisk/Eldrig or Kataxu?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Scunthog posted:

Just heard the news that Fanisk have split up... Hopefully the Kataxu follow up (if its ever released) will fill that symphonic void now left. Unless anyone has any recommendations in the same vein as Fanisk/Eldrig or Kataxu?

Wait, really? Sucks, I heard they had one more album coming. I can't really think of anything to fill the void either, Kataxu are only vaguely similar and most symphonic bm is nothing like them.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Apparently there's a new Gehenna album out and it's loving sweet. If you're a fan from way back when you won't be disappointed with the production and writing. I haven't gone all the way through yet but I'm happy to not hear much in the way of keyboards yet, those were always my sticking point with Gehenna.

Nine Circles of Torture would be right at home on Malice...

Scunthog
Jul 22, 2003

skasion posted:

Wait, really? Sucks, I heard they had one more album coming. I can't really think of anything to fill the void either, Kataxu are only vaguely similar and most symphonic bm is nothing like them.

Since Fanisk recorded Insularum in 2010, I suppose it could be possible they have actually recorded Omnium too. So maybe a forth album will see the light of day. Although I think that's just wishful thinking! At least Eldrig is continuing for now.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Nazxul is kinda in the same vein and it's not bad, but they probably won't release anything new either idk

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Nope, no guts. Good show though. One of their guitarists is just shy of 17 feet tall.

Were you at the Montreal show? That's the one I was at and I thought it was a really good set, too. My only real (non) complaint was that it all started way earlier than I thought it would and I only just made it on time to catch one In Solitude song and then Watain. And I think I might have made the same two hour west-bound drive home as you? That's one dark, long highway.

About the tall guy; are you referring to the dude that was on the right-hand side of the stage (that's of course if we were at the same show)? If so, I think that was Pelle Forsberg.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A Serious Woman posted:

Were you at the Montreal show? That's the one I was at and I thought it was a really good set, too. My only real (non) complaint was that it all started way earlier than I thought it would and I only just made it on time to catch one In Solitude song and then Watain. And I think I might have made the same two hour west-bound drive home as you? That's one dark, long highway.

About the tall guy; are you referring to the dude that was on the right-hand side of the stage (that's of course if we were at the same show)? If so, I think that was Pelle Forsberg.

Yeah, I was at the Montreal show (came in from Ottawa). It was definitely a weird set time, the first band was wrapping up by the time the doors were supposed to be opening.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 15, 2013

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010
I don't remember having seen this anywhere in the thread so my apologies for posting this if it's already been discussed.

Lately, I've really been digging Entropia. I found them on bandcamp when I had one of those follow-the-rabbit-down-the-hole kind of days. Anyway, I know there's not always a lot of love for blackgaze in all circles but I really quite like this style. Honestly, I don't know if blackgaze is even the correct term to be using; it's just one I've seen used around a bit and it feels like it applies to Entropia. I guess it reminds me of Deafheaven but just way better.

It's also kinda disappointing that the kickstarter to put their album on vinyl isn't doing so well. I'm not really hopeful anymore that it's going to happen.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

A Serious Woman posted:

I don't remember having seen this anywhere in the thread so my apologies for posting this if it's already been discussed.

Lately, I've really been digging Entropia. I found them on bandcamp when I had one of those follow-the-rabbit-down-the-hole kind of days. Anyway, I know there's not always a lot of love for blackgaze in all circles but I really quite like this style. Honestly, I don't know if blackgaze is even the correct term to be using; it's just one I've seen used around a bit and it feels like it applies to Entropia. I guess it reminds me of Deafheaven but just way better.

It's also kinda disappointing that the kickstarter to put their album on vinyl isn't doing so well. I'm not really hopeful anymore that it's going to happen.

Pretty sure we discussed Entropia several pages back but I loved the record. Definitely up there for one of my favorite black metal records of 2013 with Sunbather. Shame about the kickstarter though.

Tesla is a wonderful track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmKxd63Q_QQ

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

A Serious Woman posted:

I love this album but I didn't get the impression that the Kickstarter people were planning on giving it a vinyl master and were just going to ship the CD or audio files off to the pressing plant, in which case it would be a pretty lousy sounding record. I think this will end up on a lot of year-end lists and end up getting pressed by someone who knows what they're doing.

Gauss is great too, but hell, so is the whole record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm18M9bbg8

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010
I didn't get an impression one way or the other if they were planning mastering it for vinyl; I just assumed they would or already did. The Kickstarter page says that band will be getting coloured copies pressed that will only be available through them so I don't see why they would want terrible sounding vinyl of their own album. I guess I'm assuming that everyone involved would just know better? In any event, I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen so I'm not too worried about whether or not I'm going to get some potentially awful sounding vinyl.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Some of you here might be interested. Funeral Mist are awesome and the albums will soon be available on vinyl again. I wish they'd done the DsO box like this, gatefolds and (presumably) plain black vinyl instead of pic discs. The sad part is I probably won't have the money in time to get this, although the DsO box did hang around for a reasonable amount of time.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Looks like someone's not too happy with Blake Judd.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nobody likes Blake Judd, his band sucks more than your average lovely black metal band and he has ripped off just about everyone who has worked hard to release and distribute black metal in the US. I'm sick of hearing about him, either because of his lovely band or because he ripped people off. That shirt is amusing though, perhaps they'll make a couple bucks and humiliate a loser who ripped off his friends who trusted him. I kinda wish the shirt kept one of the four classic DSP tenets of "no friends" though.

Meanwhile, have some good black metal also from DeKalb, Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q_zOpEw8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtZg2vmbVIg

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Zodijackylite posted:

Meanwhile, have some good black metal also from DeKalb, Illinois.

I was certain one of those was going to be Unholy Trinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0Kk00xyik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Blut aus Nord's new Liber EP is out and it's great. I loved the 777 trilogy but i'm happy to see that they're still doing the creepy dissonant style of BM that they're renowned for.