Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah, there really isn't enough evidence for reasons as to why they wanted to destroy the humans within the walls. Maybe they wanted to live in the walls, or there is something there. We really don't know.

But for whatever reason, when Eren had the possibility of being the titan king they switched plans. His power to command titans overrides the objective to destroy the humans in the walls. It's pointed out by Ymir that Bert, Reiner, and Annie are just pawns of the titan shifter faction. To make such a big decision for their whole faction at such a low rank, Eren's power completely overrides the need to kill the humans in the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

coordinate/coordinator.
OH. GODDAMMIT. That makes so much sense that it's a mis-translation and all along they meant coordinator. I shoulda known. This is what I get for finally reading Manga after so many years.

So the thing that stands out to me is Ymir saying she's been a titan for 60 years and that outside the walls it's "not so bad." Meaning the human-titans actually want to live outside the walls, not within. Meanwhile, they all have some kind of selective memory loss because Reiner and Bert, despite knowing where "home" is and what it means to be "a warrior" aren't really sure why they're doing what they did (kill all humans) but feel some need to do so anyway. Then there's monkey man who knows very little about humans in general and what they're up to. Then there are the titans who don't know what from what because they just recently transformed. So, here's what I'm gathering from all this.

Oh, I apologize if this stuff has been said a dozen times over. Writing it down and organizing it like this helps me work through and speculate based on what I know. Plus it helps to have you guys tell me if I'm wrong about anything.

• Monkey man is the cause, part of the group that caused, or working for the group that caused titans to exist in the first place. That group (likely human, mind you, as we can see titans are created via chemicals thanks to the one cut-scene with Eren's dad) doesn't live in Reiner/Bert's village and has been away from the walled-humans for a century. This is definitely a party unrelated to Reiner/Bert, the Wall Cult, and other walled humans. They also speak a different language from the walled humans.
  • The newly-formed titans can just as easily create aberrants who sometimes do or don't last outside the walls. The only reason we've seen the ones we do, and the reason they're so much more deadly, is because they lasted outside the walls. Thus, we see the poorer, more likely to get killed aberrants when we get the side story of the titan who talked, Connie's mom who said welcome back, the little titan who didn't follow monkey man's commands, and the little one who attacked another titan. They were all aberrants.
  • Another form of aberrant are the high-will titans. Aka the human-titans. These are the ones who can fight off a dozen other titans, have special abilities, probably created the walls, but also gently caress up the humans. These guys are humans who, when transformed into titans, had such a high will, they were able to eventually fight off their transformation and become human again.
  • High-will titans are probably well known to wall cultists or some other secret society and have been kept out of human society. Thus they're forced to their "village" outside the wall. That village is probably protected by other high-will titans. Perhaps they've been raised to believe that inside-the-wall humans are terrible people who all deserve to die, simply because they kept the villagers out. They also know that there's a coordinator high-will titan out there that could keep their village safe forever and they'd never have to worry about fighting them off. They probably also knew that high-will titan lived within the walls and the only way to expose him was to try to kill off the humans. However, I'm thinking their selective memory made them forget that fact by the time Eren exposed his true self, all they had left was the memory that they needed to kill humans, find a coordinator with the assumption that wall cultists knew who it was, and get home.
  • Another reason I think selective memory loss is super important here is because of how often we're given the "why am I remembering this now?" line from various characters during important experiences in their lives. Not because it's related to the memory loss but rather because it's such an important motif to the overall story. It's there to give flashbacks but every character who has it says "why am I remembering this now?" which ought to make a parallel when the high-will titans begin to remember important things about their past, thus revealing things like what happened to Eren's dad and how/why Reiner and Bert began their journey of the Warrior.
  • BTW Reiner and Bert are warriors because the other high-will titans of their village are probably lame-rear end titans who can't fight very well because they're tiny or weak in some way. They probably used to defend their village and were fed up with having to do so. It was during this defense that Ymir probably ate their colleague (she was too fast for them to detect in time) and their transformation was what kept them alive from her. Speaking of which...
  • Ymir is like a nomad high-will titan who couldn't be reined in for the village. Thus why she probably actually does need Historia, she wants to use her as an apology so she can live in the village.

At least, that's what I think. I'd expect at least two or three twists on these facts somewhere down the line.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

trucutru posted:

Seems to me like the human-giants must be few in numbers since, apparently, they can only get their powers by eating another one.

Wait, what? I must have missed it, when was this said?

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Saagonsa posted:

I think trucutru may be referencing the "they're merging!" line from the anime which I don't think is in the manga at all. Eren wanted to eat/merge with Annie and it's possible that doing so helped him gain the ability to create hard surfaces which in the Manga they suddenly believe he can do? That's the only logic I can make out of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I think trucutru may be referencing the "they're merging!" line from the anime which I don't think is in the manga at all. Eren wanted to eat/merge with Annie and it's possible that doing so helped him gain the ability to create hard surfaces which in the Manga they suddenly believe he can do? That's the only logic I can make out of it.

It's referring to the conversation between Reiner and Ymir. A lot of people interpret it as you need to eat a shifter to become a shifter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

At least, that's what I think. I'd expect at least two or three twists on these facts somewhere down the line.

Yeah, my personal theory, which I bet will be 100% wrong is the following:

A while ago humans developed the technology to become titans because :cmon:. For whatever reason there were both free-willed titans and mindless ones so a new kind of coordinator titan was created to control them.

Then, as usual, everything goes to poo poo and there is a huge war between different coordinator factions. In any case, there is no clear winner and all sides are pretty much eliminated. One of the coordinators (probably the last one) leading a group of free-willed titans escapes to wherever the heck it is the walls are located, creates a bunch of newly mindless titans and makes the walls with them. The land is then re-populated (which could explain why they don't understand the old tongue). Then, before dying, he/she creates the church to keep the secret alive and an outside village of free-willed titans that is there to protect the humans.

Now, hundreds of years later, a new coordinator arrives to the land, the free-willed titans are able to sense him and decide, for whatever reason, to kill the people inside the walls (it could be mercy, they could have panicked, whatever) but there -thanks to Eren's dad, who somehow managed to recover the Titan technology- they find another coordinator, who could actually let them stand a chance.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Saagonsa posted:

Ymir was a mindless Titan who ate Reiner&Bert's friend, that's how she was able to regain her mind.

Also: Eren is the worst possible person to be a coordinator because he really loving hates titans and is an intransigent reckless idiot. They obviously want Eren to help their free-willed titan faction.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 20, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't know how canon this is. But it raises some interesting questions about the biology of titans.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

trucutru posted:

Ymir was a mindless Titan who ate Reiner&Bert's friend, that's how she was able to regain her mind.

This isn't 100% for certain. Armin snapped Eren out of his Titan-induced hallucination without him needing to devour anyone. There is no real link so far between eating Berrik and regaining her humanity afterward. Ymir and Bert's conversation implies that everyone who can turn into a titan suffers a hallucination episode before they can get control over the power.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

trucutru posted:

Oh, I never thought of it like that. If that's the case, then the question how exactly did she become a titan in the first place? She said she was a titan for only sixty years. So I doubt it has anything to do with the original titan outbreak. However, it doesn't seem like she was a part of Reiner and Bert's village either.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This isn't 100% for certain. Armin snapped Eren out of his Titan-induced hallucination without him needing to devour anyone. There is no real link so far between eating Berrik and regaining her humanity afterward. Ymir and Bert's conversation implies that everyone who can turn into a titan suffers a hallucination episode before they can get control over the power.

Eren was not created in the same way as the other titans. Reiner&Co believe that he was a mindless titan and forgot about it but we know (I guess) that he was transformed into a free-willed coordinator titan by his dad.

Edit: This all links back to the stupid basement and Eren's dad. He knew or re-discovered the way that was used to create the original coordinator titans and, being such a nice dad, experimented with his son.

Saagonsa posted:

Oh, I never thought of it like that. If that's the case, then the question how exactly did she become a titan in the first place? She said she was a titan for only sixty years. So I doubt it has anything to do with the original titan outbreak. However, it doesn't seem like she was a part of Reiner and Bert's village either.

Yeah, who knows how she became a mindless titan in the first place but it is pretty obvious to me that she (And Reiner, Annie, etc.) became a free-willed titan by eating one of them (And that they believe that Eren is the same, they obviously don't have all the information about the past either, that's why Historia is so important). There is something that creates mindless titans, that's why the walls were built, but we don't know the process and what it involves.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 20, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

trucutru posted:

Eren was not created in the same way as the other titans. Reiner&Co believe that he was a mindless titan and forgot about it but we know (I guess) that he was transformed into a free-willed coordinator titan by his dad.

Reiner, Annie, and Berthold know that the Rogue Titan is a Titan-shifter. They're the ones to suggest it's really an ally after all. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c009/25.html

We don't know if Eren was created the same way as other titans, or anything about the creation process. Maybe he was born with his powers. His father is likely a titan-shifter because he's obviously In The Know. Maybe it was the injection, in which case Grisha had the Titan King serum on hand.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reiner, Annie, and Berthold know that the Rogue Titan is a Titan-shifter. They're the ones to suggest it's really an ally after all. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c009/25.html

Yes, that's my point, they know he's a Titan-shifter, so they naturally assume that he was created in the same way as them because that's what they are used to http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c047/17.html. They believe he was a mindless titan who forgot about it.

But we know that his transformation into a Titan controller, which is a type of shifter, involves some extra fuckery (Edit: and no, we do not know this directly but that's how stories work). It is very probable that he never was a mindless titan.

All sides have incomplete information (with the possible exception of the Church and Eren's dad)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 20, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Phobophilia posted:

I don't know how canon this is. But it raises some interesting questions about the biology of titans.
Earlier in the thread this spinoff was stated to be non-canon. Also the artwork is really disgusting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DaveKap posted:

OH. GODDAMMIT. That makes so much sense that it's a mis-translation and all along they meant coordinator. I shoulda known. This is what I get for finally reading Manga after so many years.

The translations are pretty bad but that's not a mistranslation. The original is zahyou (座標), which is coordinate as in the x/y, latitude/longitude sort.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnonSpore posted:

The translations are pretty bad but that's not a mistranslation. The original is zahyou (座標), which is coordinate as in the x/y, latitude/longitude sort.

What does that even mean, though? Why and how, exactly, would Eren "have" a coordinate? :psyduck:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Keep in mind this is the author who approved(came up with?) the English title.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 20, 2013

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Bisensual posted:

I'm not sure anyone still posts in the anime thread. So, I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxzPQUqzac
This is like finding out that episode of Pinky and the Brain syncs up exactly with the Orson Welles Peas Commercial.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, forget it. I had a lovely theory with a lot of holes that I have to re-think.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 20, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

DrSunshine posted:

What does that even mean, though? Why and how, exactly, would Eren "have" a coordinate? :psyduck:

Keep in mind that we know barely anything about it yet.

Although it could simply refer to telling the Titans where to go, I guess.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

trucutru posted:

This all links back to the stupid basement and Eren's dad. He knew or re-discovered the way that was used to create the original coordinator titans and, being such a nice dad, experimented with his son.

For all I know he might have experimented on Eren before the fall of the wall, but the impression I got from the odd flashback scenes was that Grisha was panicking about what had happened with the invasion and the death of his wife, and decided Eren would be safer if he had the titan/titan coordinator ability.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
My pet theory is that Eren *was* shifter-ified as a mindless shifter, and he ate his dad (also a shifter) as part of his dad's plan to turn Eren into a weapon. It's based on how this page of flashback goes. Grisha says Eren will suffer memory loss because of the injection, and he's crying while Eren, whom he's telling he is keeping somewhat out of the loop, is not.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Factory Factory posted:

My pet theory is that Eren *was* shifter-ified as a mindless shifter, and he ate his dad (also a shifter) as part of his dad's plan to turn Eren into a weapon. It's based on how this page of flashback goes. Grisha says Eren will suffer memory loss because of the injection, and he's crying while Eren, whom he's telling he is keeping somewhat out of the loop, is not.
The very next page... Grisha refers to a power, which you would assume is Titanshifting, but now his wording makes it sound more like Coordinating:

quote:

Once you reach the basement, the "power" ought to prove useful. Their memories should teach you how to use it.
And there's something in the basement that is used with it.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The coordinate could simply refer to the location of the basement, and the secrets therein. They may not have known specifically what they were looking for, only that it could be used to give someone titan shifting powers or worse (namely titan controlling powers). Eren managing to turn into a titan would have made him the prime suspect, and him having titan controlling powers (probably the result of advanced research into titan secrets) would be a dead giveaway that he knows where to find the thing they need. They obviously don't want the military to get their hands on it, so clearly they need to kidnap Eren before they retake Wall Maria.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

quote:

Once you reach the basement, the "power" ought to prove useful. Their memories should teach you how to use it.
Memory motif again. It's almost like Big O is getting cribbed a little bit. You just know that the general walled populace is either memory wiped or memory modified. It makes no sense that it only took 100 years for a book about oceans and deserts to become "prohibited material." No reason and no way that the previous generation, which saw the origin of the walls or the initial migration into them, could keep such information from the very next generation.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 20, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

DaveKap posted:

Memory motif again. It's almost like Big O is getting cribbed a little bit. You just know that the general walled populace is either memory wiped or memory modified. It makes no sense that it only took 100 years for a book about oceans and deserts to become "prohibited material." No reason and no way that the previous generation, which saw the origin of the walls or the initial migration into them, could keep such information from the very next generation.

I'd almost think that was what the "2000 years in the future" from the first chapter referred to, but there's no way a book survived that long.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I've been rereading the earlier chapters, and it's...definitely something seeing Reiner and Bertholdt casually asking Eren and Armin "Hey you're from Shiganshina, right? Man, those titans are pretty scary aren't they..."

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

DaveKap posted:

I don't think this is likely. We haven't seen any signs in the story that general widespread memory loss is a theme - it's only Eren who has difficulty remembering things due to his titanification process.

I think a more likely scenario is that an army of titanshifters built the citadel of walls by themselves, and then led the flood of refugees to the safe space. Walls built by god that magically appeared in a day to save the last of humanity! The Coordinator may even have herded the refugees to the city with waves of lesser titans.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Jackard posted:

The very next page... Grisha refers to a power, which you would assume is Titanshifting, but now his wording makes it sound more like Coordinating:

And there's something in the basement that is used with it.

I don't know, the page after that one says "you must embrace this power" and Eren shifts. Doesn't give me the coordinator vibe.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Christa Renz.

Christa Lenz.

Crystalline(z).

GODDESS TITAN CONFIRMED :angel:

:suicide:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Crystalline Z sounds like a handle or something. So I guess she's the DJ at the hella tight Titan-only nightclub, where all the coolest Titan shifters hang out.
EDIT:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I hear "Crystalline Z" and my mind immediately checks to see if a new Mazinger series got announced.

:negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I haven't watched any anime or read any manga in quite a while. Last weekend I was bored enough that I decided to check out AoT on Crunchyroll. Now I've read all the way through the manga as well. :v:

It's getting a bit annoying at this point though how literally everyone who knows what's going on would rather die/cocoon themselves/kidnap Eren than spill the beans. Hopefully now that the action seems to be cooling down they'll have time to ask Christa what she knows, but I'm sure that's just going to lead to even more questions. Given the BSG vibes I'm getting off the series it will probably amount to "humans abused titans as tools, sentient titans retaliated by killing most humans, but some of them are open to the idea of peace". Maybe the walls were formed by a faction of titans who wanted to spare the remaining humans from the wrath of the angry ones?

Also I'm expecting Irvin to pull off a fully-fledged Adama Maneuver at some point and it will be goddamned amazing. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to slow down just because he's missing an arm.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm almost certain I've asked this before, but do you think Mikasa and Armin also had their memories modified by Grisha in the 2 years between the invasion and enlisting? The fact that Eren says "you've been asking crazy ever since Mom died" implies that that wasn't the first time he saw his dad since the attack. And while I'm willing to believe Grisha could have found Eren in a refugee settlement and pulled him to a secluded area to inject him, then disappear in a crowd, I find it impossible for Eren to be able to have any sort of sustained contact with his dad without Mikasa and Armin knowing. Or at least Mikasa; Armin might not have been hanging out with the other two while his grandfather was still alive, since he could have been living with him.

I'd really like to see a flashback of their life as refugee kids, showing what that situation was like. I can only assume they were living in shantytowns of tents and maybe tiny shacks made of lovely wood and tin roofs?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

Yeah, who knows how she became a mindless titan in the first place but it is pretty obvious to me that she (And Reiner, Annie, etc.) became a free-willed titan by eating one of them (And that they believe that Eren is the same, they obviously don't have all the information about the past either, that's why Historia is so important). There is something that creates mindless titans, that's why the walls were built, but we don't know the process and what it involves.

I don't remember them ever drawing any sort of causal link between the two things. We're told that Ymir ate Reiner/Bertholdt's friend and we're told that Ymir at some point stopped being mindless, but I don't think we're ever told "Ymir stopped being mindless immediately after eating Reiner/Bertholdt's friend," much less "Ymir stopped being mindless because of eating Reiner/Bertholdt's friend."

And even if that was the case, which I don't think it is, that in no way implies that eating a person is necessary to become a titan shifter. I think that whole idea is just the result of people over-analyzing the specific language used in the translation or having questionable reading comprehension skills.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

having questionable reading comprehension skills.

It's this one.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'll point out again that it also directly contradicts one of the handful of things we know about titans: that they don't actually digest anything. They just chew the bits up and then spit them out again. A titan isn't really capable of eating anyone in a way that would mean anything.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

And even if that was the case, which I don't think it is, that in no way implies that eating a person is necessary to become a titan shifter. I think that whole idea is just the result of people over-analyzing the specific language used in the translation or having questionable reading comprehension skills.

Yeah, it could be me just reading it wrong.

Reiner mentions that she ate her friend. Soon afterwards he mentions that she recovered her mind. But they don't say link one thing with the other.

She recovered her memories some time after eating that dude. It may be linked to it or it may not.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
The whole argument about Ymir eating Berik, therefore she regained her humanity is a pretty solid example of people falling into the post hoc fallacy. You guys are forgetting that while the temporal sequence "Ymir ate Berik., Ymir regained humanity." happened, inferring a mechanism is impossible. I could say "Bert kicked down the wall., Eren gained the power to become a titan.", and infer that the destruction of Wall Maria is what gave Eren his powers. This follows the same form as the argument about Ymir and Berik, so it's blatantly fallacious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

trucutru posted:

Yeah, it could be me just reading it wrong.

Reiner mentions that she ate her friend. Soon afterwards he mentions that she recovered her mind. But they don't say link one thing with the other.

She recovered her memories some time after eating that dude. It may be linked to it or it may not.

Elvis died in 1977. AIDS was first clinically observed in 1981 in the US, only a few years later. But they didn't link one thing with the other.

A widespread, horrible illness first developed some time after a famous man died. It may be linked to it or it may not.