Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Crudus posted:

1. You...

I. RUN!!!!!!!

I don't think we're quite on the level of battling eldritch horrors yet.

2. Do you yell, pray, plead, beg or otherwise ask for help? If so, to who?

A. No, I do not.

3. If you are running for it... where are you going?

B. STRAIGHT towards the forest!

Don't go to the camp, this thing will just mow over it and all will be lost. We can retrace our steps to retrieve our things later, I doubt it has interest in looting our stuff so much as devouring us or anything else it can find.

4. Which of the following things do you do, each of which will slow you down? Pick as many as you want to
A. Grab my sandals.

The sandals are the only thing there that are actually valuable and irreplaceable. Even in a worst case scenario where we cant return to our camp, we can find a way to make new clothing and tools and get a new sacrifice before we make our way back to Zepath. Survival is most important right now.

Additionally should this thing be persistent, slipping our sandals on later will allow us to continue fleeing without fatigue until we can get somewhere safe.

I'm changing my vote to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Man, I'm really tempted by the talk to it try to make friends options. I bet that thing doesn't have many friends. Sure it is ugly, but judging by appearances is pretty shallow.

1. You...
H. RUN!!

B. El!

Hollering to El while charging or running away seems like the Zepath thing to do.

D. Toward the camp. The altar is a good spot to stop a moment and assess our next move.

Squid type things are usually slow and clumsy out of the water. That thing definitely shouldn't be able to support it's own weight, except magic. On the other hand even if the mass of it stays in the water, it's longest tentacles could reach quite a ways. So even if it can't follow us, we'll have to get pretty far from the water to be "safe".

By the time we reach the camp it should be at the shore, and we'll be able to assess how far away we need to run.

4. Which of the following things do you do, each of which will slow you down? Pick as many as you want to
A. Grab my sandals.
C. Grab my clothes and belt.
E. Grab my club.
F. Some of the clams you already collected this afternoon, which lay in a pile.

Grab everything in an amorphous bundle, keep running. We'll likely never be able to come back to this spot, and even if we can that thing might sweep everything out to sea out of spite. We'll NEED our stuff to survive the trip back to Zepath. If we run to the scrubland naked we're dead.

(If you are going back to your camp...)
K. All of the above.

Take a moment at the camp to grab things, and decide what to do next.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, I was waiting for doom to spring from the ocean, and I'm not disappointed :suspense:

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

I [/B} RUN YOU STUPID SHITSACK RUN!

F Get to the altar and..

B PRAY your rear end off to El.

Get our sandals, clothes and pearls. at least. Don't bother putting anything on.

Remenber that our sandals allow us to WALK forever, not run forever. Putting them on is a waste of time if we're running.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Volmarias posted:

Well, I was waiting for doom to spring from the ocean, and I'm not disappointed :suspense:

Remember all those votes to stick around in the ocean and see what's up? Yeah....

Diog: What sort of rituals do we know involving the altar that could help? Do we know of ANYTHING useful the altar could do to help us?

1. F
2. B
3. D
4. We have an empty cloak that can be used to bundle everything, oorrect? Just put all our stuff inside the cloak, then leg it for the camp

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 20, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

For any who missed it earlier, your magical sandals let you walk indefinitely, but not run. Not being barefoot will help you run quicker, but their magic does not seem to do anything when you run.

NinjaPete posted:

Diog, this may have been asked and answered already but have we heard any tales of heroes being outmatched and having to retreat at first?

The Heroes, Kings and Mighty Men of the Old Tales you know do not always win, sometimes they die, but they never run away, the men of Ur are much too macho for that.

Counterbalanced against that position is a giant monster coming in your direction, it seems to be making a rather good argument for flight.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Diog: What sort of rituals do we know involving the altar that could help? Do we know of ANYTHING useful the altar could do to help us?
You know that El and the Ophanim cannot be controlled. You cannot say magical words and compel them to act. According to your religious education, the only thing you could "do" to obtain divine aid is to be a true believer, suitably virtuous and ask for help. Making a sacrifice might help to draw attention, however.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am going to start on the next update, voting remains open till the update is up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Diogines posted:

According to your religious education, the only thing you could "do" to obtain divine aid is to be a true believer, suitably virtuous and ask for help. Making a sacrifice might help to draw attention, however.

Throw a pearl onto the alter and scream "Ninja Vanish!" If you are pure of heart, El will transform it into a smoke bomb so that you can disappear :ninja:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

All of your life, you have been told stories of horrific, unspeakable horrors and the Melachim, Heroes, Kings and Mighty Men who did battle with them. When you were a young child, Jalitha delighted you with tales of ancient heroes and Sky Giants smiting terrible beasts. In Zepath, you heard more such tales from Ishamal and Tudiya, though in their versions, the body count tended to be higher. The beasts they told you of were no less horrible.

You saw giant lizards on the trip from Athar, a boar the size of a house and a strange snake monster.

This year, you saw a horde of minotaurs march upon Zepath and then you saw them be slaughtered.

You have been told all of your life that the world is a direly dangerous place with monsters very literally over the neck hill.

In your month in the wilderness, you fled one giant lizard, met Azzazel and slew some sort of monstrous jackal.

And now... a horror equal to any story you have been told screeches in unholy horror as it lumbers towards you.

Snarls does not need to be told twice, or even once, once you are out of the sea he bolts for the forest as quick as he can. You lift up your club and your sandals and run for your life as an unspeakable horror comes for you.

You do not pause for even a moment to look back behind you, you do not need to know exactly how big the horror is, it was big enough.

Every moment a thousand voices come from a thousand gibbering mouths within the beast, screaming in agony.

You are not screaming, but you are yelling out a wide variety of prayers to El to intervene and save you as you run for your life.

You have made it to the tree line, Snarls is beside you. The creature is still approaching, but from the screams behind you, it has not yet made it to the land. Maybe a quarter of a mile to go? Your possessions at this moment include a pair of sandals(which you have not put on yet), your cloak and a thick tree branch about 4 feet long with the jackal spikes on one end. Your knife, the pearls you have saved so far and your clothes are all back at the camp, which lay at the forests edge, 300 yards south of you.

You....

A. Just KEEP RUNNING! You want to put as much distance between you and that thing as you can. You go straight east, towards the scrubland, which begins to open up a few miles ahead as the forest thins out.

B. Find a tree to climb and hide, hoping that the creature passes you by.

C. Hide under a log and vegetation on the ground.

D. Go north, under the cover of the trees, hoping to loose it under the cover of the trees.

E. Go south, under the cover of the trees, hoping to loose it under the cover of the trees.

F. Run a short way north or south and THEN hide in a tree or on the ground.

G. Run a longer way north or south and THEN hide in a tree or on the ground.

H. Your camp lay 300 yards south. Run for it, make an offering to El with your pearls on the altar and hope for divine intervention.

I. You believe that your possessions at the camp are vital to your survival, or, otherwise are unwilling to just abandon them. You go to your camp first to retrieve them. This can be combined with another option here.

J. Give in, remain stationary and die if that creature reaches you.

K. You have lost the will to live or lost your mind. Run towards the monster.

L. You have definitely lost your mind. Raise your club, turn and charge at the monster.

M. Something else. Fill in.

MINIVOTE - Do you pause for the brief seconds required to turn, look at the beast, gauge it's size and try to gauge how quickly it is moving? The results to this one will go up before I go to sleep tonight.
N. Yes.
O. No.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 20, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
H L EEELLLLLLLLLLLLL

edit oh and Yes Stare that fucker down to show it that it doesn't intimidate you. You gotta think badass to be badass.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 20, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. H, sacrifice the jackal trophies as well to show we mean business and need help.
2. N

yo paragon if we're gonna attack it might wanna check the size first.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 20, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

shouting "Give me back my marbles!"

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I wonder if there's any special meaning behind the thing's cries. Is has screamed out in agony, horror, agony again, and then just gibbering and screaming. Maybe it has some of Smis' claws stuck in its teeth?

In any case, voting I then H. N for minivote.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 20, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

H L EEELLLLLLLLLLLLL

edit oh and Yes Stare that fucker down to show it that it doesn't intimidate you. You gotta think badass to be badass.

This has my vote.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1: I If ever there was a time for divine intervention...
2: N Show no fear!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
edit: disregard

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. A
2. O

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, I want to gauge its size and take measure of it before I decide the next move. Let's not be hasty, we definitely have a moment to spare to do this.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Definitely N.

H, L flank through camp if possible.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
:stare:

We really have lost our minds. The El crowd is officially as punch-drunk as the Asherah crowd ever was.

Anyway. Question for Diogenes: Does the "East to the scrublands" vote still involve going through a hefty chunk of forest? Or is it more or less skirting the forest until the scrublands start to emerge?

Under the assumption that it's the former, I'll vote A. If we're going to lose it in the forest, we can do it as well in the miles between here and the scrubland as we could by running north, and possibly Azzazel will have something to say if it shows up in the scrublands, although I doubt it.

And hell, Yes to the minivote. Won't hurt just to glance back, and maybe it's doing something interesting.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

M - H, but pray not so much for intervention, but for El to grant you the strength and courage to face this abomination. Or, barring that, a definite clear sign to run.

And Yes, let's size this thing up

Edit: Yes, wishing for strength IS divine intervention. But I interpreted Diog's meaning to mean divine intervention to be "Somebody comes and fights this thing for me." or something to that effect.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm truly not sure on this vote, but I'm going to say that if we actually fight this fucker, we want unanimity. This will be our faith in El to allow us to slaughter whatever this thing is, or at least drive it back. And we will want to fight in our camp, near our altar.

eta: I propose Plan Divine Strength and Best Offering Ever.

We place everything we have ever fought for on this trip, our pearls, our jackal eye, our club perhaps, everything, onto the altar. We then light the altar and as we light the fire we say the traditional words of sacrifice to El but then we make a vow to El that we will faithfully serve him the rest of our days or something to that effect, and then we ask for strength to slay this thing, hardiness to survive it, skill to outwit it, etc.

Then we kill this fucker and bring it's heart/eyes/whatever as our offering to El. If we truly have divine strength after this? We'll get back pretty fast too.

eta2: I'm not voting this, I'm just saying, do this if we want to actually fight this thing.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 20, 2013

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Yay a good fight plan. I want to either run or do this
Ill change my vote if this gains ground but we need little enki to be sure. Whatever we vote we need to vote pretty unanimosly

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I really like Serspook's plan. Making my vote that.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

SerSpook posted:

I'm truly not sure on this vote, but I'm going to say that if we actually fight this fucker, we want unanimity. This will be our faith in El to allow us to slaughter whatever this thing is, or at least drive it back. And we will want to fight in our camp, near our altar.

eta: I propose Plan Divine Strength and Best Offering Ever.

We place everything we have ever fought for on this trip, our pearls, our jackal eye, our club perhaps, everything, onto the altar. We then light the altar and as we light the fire we say the traditional words of sacrifice to El but then we make a vow to El that we will faithfully serve him the rest of our days or something to that effect, and then we ask for strength to slay this thing, hardiness to survive it, skill to outwit it, etc.

Then we kill this fucker and bring it's heart/eyes/whatever as our offering to El. If we truly have divine strength after this? We'll get back pretty fast too.

Oh god we're going to die but I'm voting for killing this fucker with Plan SerSpook.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Voting against anything that involves pledging to serve El. We don't know what's going on godwise, let's not just cuff ourselves to the first diety we stumble upon that isn't outright murderous.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ralith posted:

Voting against anything that involves pledging to serve El. We don't know what's going on godwise, let's not just cuff ourselves to the first diety we stumble upon that isn't outright murderous.

This is all true, but we have a literal monster possibly the size of the city we have lived in these last few years. It has thousands of mouths and eyes, screams in agony in a thousand voices, and has tentacles.

I'm not saying that El is the best, I am saying that if we fight this thing we want every ounce of divine mojo we can manage.

I think running is maybe the smartest idea. My plan is a "hey, if we're going to fight this fucker, let's do this" more than anything.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
We haven't gotten the results of the minivote yet. We do not know how fast this thing is travelling. Whether or not there's any magical stuff going on, illusions, stuff like that.

A plan to fight is good. I'll vote for it without the Pledge. But we should take the results of the minivote into account first before deciding.

Or if we intend to pledge anything, devote the sacrifice and glory of this kill to EL. No personal trophies from it, no personal glory, no bragging of it. All that is sacrificed and given up to EL.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We haven't gotten the results of the minivote yet. We do not know how fast this thing is travelling. Whether or not there's any magical stuff going on, illusions, stuff like that.

A plan to fight is good. I'll vote for it without the Pledge. But we should take the results of the minivote into account first before deciding.

Or if we intend to pledge anything, devote the sacrifice and glory of this kill to EL. No personal trophies from it, no personal glory, no bragging of it. All that is sacrificed and given up to EL.

I'm fine with the kill being pledge to El as well, FWIW.

Basically, I am Plan All-in. I want to do literally everything we can to attract El's attention and have him do something to seriously help.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I have a hard time buying that we'd have enough time to put together a proper sacrifice, I can't imagine it would take this thing long to overtake us once we stopped to prepare the altar. I'd figure that either El's already on our side and set to respond to prayer, should this insane fight vote pass, or we're dead.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

I have a hard time buying that we'd have enough time to put together a proper sacrifice, I can't imagine it would take this thing long to overtake us once we stopped to prepare the altar. I'd figure that either El's already on our side and set to respond to prayer, should this insane fight vote pass, or we're dead.

A proper sacrifice takes little time. Toss stuff on altar, but it on fire/put fire on it as best we can, while saying the words. We did it earlier when starving to death and it took almost no time beyond butchering the meat. When we're just going all-in, that's not a factor.

Most of it is getting to our altar, which is also consecrated ground (maybe).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
More realistic fight plan:

Run away until it beaches. If it can move easily on land, keep running. If it can't, carefully sneak up on it and start bashing outlying tentacles, especially anything it looks like we can knock off. It doesn't seem sane enough to ambush us. Either it'll bleed to death by attrition or eventually leave, and then we can add some monster bits to our pile of sacrifices to be made at the city.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Wait, are we actually considering fighting this thing? Seriously? This sounds like something that even Tudiya would probably struggle with. This thing is way, way out of our league. Any plan right now that doesn't involve running as far and as fast away as possible is suicide.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Angela Christine posted:

Man, I'm really tempted by the talk to it try to make friends options. I bet that thing doesn't have many friends. Sure it is ugly, but judging by appearances is pretty shallow.

1. You...
H. RUN!!

B. El!

Hollering to El while charging or running away seems like the Zepath thing to do.

D. Toward the camp. The altar is a good spot to stop a moment and assess our next move.

Squid type things are usually slow and clumsy out of the water. That thing definitely shouldn't be able to support it's own weight, except magic. On the other hand even if the mass of it stays in the water, it's longest tentacles could reach quite a ways. So even if it can't follow us, we'll have to get pretty far from the water to be "safe".

By the time we reach the camp it should be at the shore, and we'll be able to assess how far away we need to run.

A. Grab my sandals.
C. Grab my clothes and belt.
E. Grab my club.
F. Some of the clams you already collected this afternoon, which lay in a pile.

Grab everything in an amorphous bundle, keep running. We'll likely never be able to come back to this spot, and even if we can that thing might sweep everything out to sea out of spite. We'll NEED our stuff to survive the trip back to Zepath. If we run to the scrubland naked we're dead.

(If you are going back to your camp...)
K. All of the above.

Take a moment at the camp to grab things, and decide what to do next.

Echoing this. I don't get the sudden deathwish, this is some final dungeon-tier poo poo right here, we've just left the tutorial.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Rahul posted:

Wait, are we actually considering fighting this thing? Seriously? This sounds like something that even Tudiya would probably struggle with. This thing is way, way out of our league. Any plan right now that doesn't involve running as far and as fast away as possible is suicide.

I agree for the most part. I'm just saying, if we gotta fight this thing, do this. Don't count on it being weak on land, don't count on it not having some magic projectiles or some poo poo, don't count on it not regenerating faster than we can deal damage.

We'd have to go all in on El. If we can't do that, then run. Even if we can? Probably still a smart idea to run.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 20, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
The monster covered 400 metres, or .25 of a mile, in the time it took us to run from the sea to the treeline.

It is possibly as big as a building. So big enough that trees and other obstacles that would slow us down, won't slow it down on land.

Do you believe that if we run, we can out run this on land? Our sandals help us walk forever. No help with running.

Normal human means will not help us. We need something extra. Get to the altar, pray and sacrifice.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The monster covered 400 metres, or .25 of a mile, in the time it took us to run from the sea to the treeline.

It is possibly as big as a building. So big enough that trees and other obstacles that would slow us down, won't slow it down on land.

Do you believe that if we run, we can out run this on land? Our sandals help us walk forever. No help with running.

gently caress it. You're right. I'm backing my own plan now. Go all in.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Sometimes you just have to stare down the world's crazy bullshit and scream a stream of obscenities at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Guys, we already ran away from a lizard that was juvenile to the ones Tudiyah fought, because we knew it would eat us. This thing is so much bigger and more complicated than a lizard, and we have no chance against it.

I am very against swearing ourselves to El in a last ditch effort to fight this thing.

I think we should risk a glance back to assess it's size and capabilities, but only to figure out how better to get away. Hopefully it doesn't have some kind of Medusa stare. Also, for all we know, this thing could be moving slowly because it's in the water.

So I say stop briefly, glance back while putting on our shoes, then book it toward the scrubland. (A and N)

Crudus fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 20, 2013