Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Waterbed posted:

I could post bad fighting game design rants. I'm sure everyone loves those. (They don't).

I love your posts :allears: POST ALL THE WORDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Sade posted:

If you're a shoto and you do this vs. Claw you are just gonna get st.mk'd to death.

The hope is that it hits, then :v:

If you're a shoto you can't play really play a zoning game against him anyway so you've got to take a risk somewhere. Thankfully his only chip is lp roll (and dive but that's less threatening in the corner) so you can block for a while.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
So when I started playing KoFXII on PC I was completely new to fighting games (well except for playing some Divekick but that doesn't count) and, 250 matches later, I've gotten to the point where I kind of crush newer players although I'm probably not much more than "well below average".

What are the proper ethics for playing against someone who can't possibly beat you? I've been cutting my combos short and playing defensive a lot to try and help them practice their offense (my biggest issue when I started out playing against veterans was that I had absolutely no opportunity to practice my offense -- they'd brush me off with the right normal and then force me to hold the stick back for twenty seconds. On the bright side I got really good at blocking). I feel like it's a pretty big dick move to punish someone's mistake with a 500-600 damage combo (or, worse, a full HD combo) when a simple, meterless 250 damage is more than enough to convey the point that you really shouldn't do random Dragon Punches (where do people get that habit?) or that you shouldn't input the unsafe parts of your target combos if the opponent blocked successfully.

I also feel like a huge jerk whenever I OCD someone. Maybe I'm a bleeding heart who's unfit for fighting games but it's important to me that my opponent also have fun when playing the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heavy neutrino posted:

I also feel like a huge jerk whenever I OCD someone. Maybe I'm a bleeding heart who's unfit for fighting games but it's important to me that my opponent also have fun when playing the game.

You should feel bad for triggering someone's mental disorder. :colbert:

There really is no "good manners" in fighting games when playing someone worse than you. Some people will get offended if you sandbag too hard, some people will get offended if you blaze thru them. Personally, I'd say exploiting their flaws as much (or as hard) as you can is the best thing you can do, since they might take something out from it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's a game, there are no ethics. You can hold back and give them a chance if you want (although it might blow up in your face) or you can get it over with quickly. You can swap to a character you don't know as well and then try your hardest with them, reducing your overall effectiveness but giving you both a greater chance to learn without having to play like a chump on purpose.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I tend to wipe the floor with them because I sure as hell wouldn't want someone going easy on me just because I'm new. Even against people who aren't completely clueless, if a gimmick works I'm not gonna bother switching things up as long as they don't adapt. Really, if someone wants to learn they'll take something away from that, and if they don't, it's not my responsibility to put training wheels on for their sake when they're not putting in the effort either.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I dont even feel like I beat a vega unless I take that mask and claw.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont even feel like I beat a vega unless I take that mask and claw.
Can't take the mask in ST :negative:

Going hard against worse players only works when they actually care about getting better at fighting games. Of course, if they don't there's not much you can do.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I honestly just tick throw non-stop if some really new-bad player comes into my lobby. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's just going to be a really boring match of waiting for the inevitable mashed SRK or wake-up ultra and punishing otherwise, then I kick them. Some random guy sent me this a few days ago after he kept rejoining after I kicked him, after a couple of perfects.

AE is going for a few quid on GMG if anyone wants to get a second account, btw.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/action/super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition/#item-s1

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Redmark posted:

Pretty sure the mask doesn't come off in ST.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Redmark posted:

Going hard against worse players only works when they actually care about getting better at fighting games. Of course, if they don't there's not much you can do.

also true. some you have to talk into it. some you can beat into it those are the best they tend to stick around the most.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Heavy neutrino posted:

So when I started playing KoFXII on PC I was completely new to fighting games (well except for playing some Divekick but that doesn't count) and, 250 matches later, I've gotten to the point where I kind of crush newer players although I'm probably not much more than "well below average".

What are the proper ethics for playing against someone who can't possibly beat you? I've been cutting my combos short and playing defensive a lot to try and help them practice their offense (my biggest issue when I started out playing against veterans was that I had absolutely no opportunity to practice my offense -- they'd brush me off with the right normal and then force me to hold the stick back for twenty seconds. On the bright side I got really good at blocking). I feel like it's a pretty big dick move to punish someone's mistake with a 500-600 damage combo (or, worse, a full HD combo) when a simple, meterless 250 damage is more than enough to convey the point that you really shouldn't do random Dragon Punches (where do people get that habit?) or that you shouldn't input the unsafe parts of your target combos if the opponent blocked successfully.

I got my start playing 3s and then ST on ggpo. When it became clear that more experienced players were playing bad intentionally, whether for laughs or out of some kind of do-right impulse where they're trying to help the newbie it made me furious. Just loving PLAY. I'm here to learn the feel of the game so that I can actually improve. If you play lovely on purpose or don't punish my mistakes optimally then all you're doing is depriving me of the experience I need to learn how to deal with those things for real.

Then again, I also have a thicker skin than most when it comes to losing. I don't care if I lose. I challenged people to matches on ggpo for months knowing I was going to lose. Losing isn't the point. It's the learning that's important. When you deprive me of that information, then you're wasting my time, and that would upset me more than anything.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I honestly just tick throw non-stop if some really new-bad player comes into my lobby. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's just going to be a really boring match of waiting for the inevitable mashed SRK or wake-up ultra and punishing otherwise, then I kick them. Some random guy sent me this a few days ago after he kept rejoining after I kicked him, after a couple of perfects.

Yeah but that guy is gonna end up being a good player.

This is why I bring good beer to ranbats, sometimes you need to bribe a player into giving you lots of matches when you aren't close to their skill level.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 19, 2013

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
When I play a game with somebody, even if it's somebody I've never met, I do feel obligated to do my part so that both of us have fun. If I'm playing somebody I know I can body I try to talk to them; tell them what they're doing wrong and suggest what they should try instead. But, y'know, some people don't want to talk or don't want to listen and there's nothing you can do about it, at that point I generally don't feel bad exploiting their willful ignorance.

I like to have secondary teams/characters, that way I can still play my hardest and at least one of us can learn something. I don't play much Marvel anymore, but I'll run Ryu/Storm/Iron Man as a "these characters are bad and I have to be 110% precise" team. I'll also run Wolverine/Iron Fist/Hawkeye for the berserker slash-call Iron Fist mixup, it's not that difficult to counter but you have to be ready and think about how to deal with it or it'll blow you up; it's kinda like Marvel 101.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sade posted:

I got my start playing 3s and then ST on ggpo. When it became clear that more experienced players were playing bad intentionally, whether for laughs or out of some kind of do-right impulse where they're trying to help the newbie it made me furious. Just loving PLAY. I'm here to learn the feel of the game so that I can actually improve. If you play lovely on purpose or don't punish my mistakes optimally then all you're doing is depriving me of the experience I need to learn how to deal with those things for real.

Then again, I also have a thicker skin than most when it comes to losing. I don't care if I lose. I challenged people to matches on ggpo for months knowing I was going to lose. Losing isn't the point. It's the learning that's important. When you deprive me of that information, then you're wasting my time, and that would upset me more than anything.

This is true, but it's also the attitude of a small minority of players. Most people don't feel that getting stomped over and over with such a huge skill gap is worth it. I tend to try and give advice and not be a complete rear end in a top hat and body players worse than me (not that there is anything wrong with playing like that.) while seeing if they are improving at all during a set. I've had more success with helping people improve with that method than just beating them over and over but if you are playing against one of the few people who enjoy learning by masochism then just wreck them all day long.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Part of the reason I don't think tick throws are as much of a barrier as advertised is that ST is one of the rare games where grinding against the CPU can actually be useful. You won't learn any matchups or strategy, of course, but you start seeing really quickly exactly when and where Gief will get a free SPD on you because the computer will do it whenever possible. And you get a lot of practice mashing out reversals, which you'll need because half the people on GGPO seem to have a pocket T. Hawk.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
You can turn any bad player into an mediocre-to-okay player by reaching out and going easy on them but I've never met a good player who wasn't self-motivated to get over that initial hump. All the knowledge and combos and frame info you can give them doesn't mean anything compared to that little voice in the back of your head after you get thrashed that says "I am gonna get this fucker". If someone doesn't have that competitive mentality they'll hit a wall and quit no matter what you do.

That said there's nothing wrong with going easy on a player who'll get upset if you go all-out, just don't bother trying to teach them anything past the basics because it won't stick.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I don't really have that voice; mine says "this guy is really good, I'll watch the replay and try to mimic what he does" or "I wonder what I can do against this pressure string." I mean I'd love to eke out a win on a really good player but most of the time I have to be honest with myself after he OCDs me three times in a row (and somehow sticks around anyway -- I guess there is a dearth of players on KoFXIII pc).

And don't get me wrong; I'm not intentionally playing bad at all. Just cutting my combos short and, sometimes, playing my best defensive game to help someone who has trouble opening people up (you know, the guy of person who does jump in crouching LK like clockwork). I'm still trying my best to win, just... in an educational way?

Part of the problem is with how Steam works. You can't send any message to anyone who hasn't accepted a friend invite from you, and people either play without the overlay or don't pay attention to invite notifications until three hours after we've stopped playing, so it tends to be a pain to talk with people.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Not sure if this is the new stream monster inside-joke, but it's OCV (one character victory) not OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Again apologies if I am out of touch on the latest intentional misspellings.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I use OCD, "one character domination," because the word "domination" usually feels more appropriate than "victory." Is it uncommon?

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 19, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Heavy neutrino posted:

I use OCD, "one character domination," because the word "domination" usually feels more appropriate than "victory." Is it uncommon?

Certainly the first time I've heard it - but if anything I think it's just that OCD already has a common and recognizable meaning.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mio Bison posted:

You can turn any bad player into an mediocre-to-okay player by reaching out and going easy on them but I've never met a good player who wasn't self-motivated to get over that initial hump. All the knowledge and combos and frame info you can give them doesn't mean anything compared to that little voice in the back of your head after you get thrashed that says "I am gonna get this fucker". If someone doesn't have that competitive mentality they'll hit a wall and quit no matter what you do.

That said there's nothing wrong with going easy on a player who'll get upset if you go all-out, just don't bother trying to teach them anything past the basics because it won't stick.

Going easy on them can also create false confidence that wont be diminished because they are literally grasping for anything they can hold up as a possible credential

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I hope this is the right thread in which to ask an arcade stick hardware question (or if not, I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction).

Awhile back, I picked up a Madcatz Street Fighter IV arcade stick (the 360 version -- this one, based on appearances), and I replaced the stick and buttons with Sanwa parts. I seem to recall that I bought the parts from Lizard Lick, which I gather is out of business, so it was maybe 2-3 years ago. Anyway, I used the stick successfully on the 360 and the PC after replacing the parts.

I recently took it out of the box, after not having used it for a few months, and it seems to have just crapped out on me. When I plug it into my PC or into the 360, the green ring of lights around the Xbox guide button flashes once, and then nothing -- neither console nor PC detects the stick is there. I assume the Sanwa parts in the stick are solid, so I suspect that whatever little board in there that interfaces with the 360 is busted. I'm not sure there's any troubleshooting to do with that (although if there is something worth doing, I'm all ears). Anyway, I'm not that concerned about using it on the 360 any more, but I'd like to keep the Sanwa parts to use with my PC, and it seem like there ought to be some interface or something I can buy to connect the outputs from the buttons and stick and run out a USB cable, right?

What are my best options here? Can I install something like an IPAC (presumably with some dremmel work to make it all fit) and just output USB? Are there any other options for things like the IPAC, since the models I'm seeing are all for 2-4 sets of controls? I'm not sure what IPAC alternatives there are, but I just need something for a single set of controls. Any ideas?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

McCoy Pauley posted:

I hope this is the right thread in which to ask an arcade stick hardware question (or if not, I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction).

Awhile back, I picked up a Madcatz Street Fighter IV arcade stick (the 360 version -- this one, based on appearances), and I replaced the stick and buttons with Sanwa parts. I seem to recall that I bought the parts from Lizard Lick, which I gather is out of business, so it was maybe 2-3 years ago. Anyway, I used the stick successfully on the 360 and the PC after replacing the parts.

I recently took it out of the box, after not having used it for a few months, and it seems to have just crapped out on me. When I plug it into my PC or into the 360, the green ring of lights around the Xbox guide button flashes once, and then nothing -- neither console nor PC detects the stick is there. I assume the Sanwa parts in the stick are solid, so I suspect that whatever little board in there that interfaces with the 360 is busted. I'm not sure there's any troubleshooting to do with that (although if there is something worth doing, I'm all ears). Anyway, I'm not that concerned about using it on the 360 any more, but I'd like to keep the Sanwa parts to use with my PC, and it seem like there ought to be some interface or something I can buy to connect the outputs from the buttons and stick and run out a USB cable, right?

What are my best options here? Can I install something like an IPAC (presumably with some dremmel work to make it all fit) and just output USB? Are there any other options for things like the IPAC, since the models I'm seeing are all for 2-4 sets of controls? I'm not sure what IPAC alternatives there are, but I just need something for a single set of controls. Any ideas?

http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/ is what I put in my Madcatz stick and have been 100% happy with it since. It works on PS3/360/PC, and it's a single set of controls. You don't have to solder if you don't want to at all, and the firmware is upgradable for DC/Saturn/SNES/PS2/PS1 etc.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/ is what I put in my Madcatz stick and have been 100% happy with it since. It works on PS3/360/PC, and it's a single set of controls. You don't have to solder if you don't want to at all, and the firmware is upgradable for DC/Saturn/SNES/PS2/PS1 etc.

Awesome -- that looks like just the thing. Thanks.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

interrodactyl posted:

Just play ST.

Let's talk about anti-claw starts, because that character is bullshit.

Rule #1 against ST Claw: NEVER let him get to the wall behind you.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Hey GG fans: I just bought GGAC on XBLA after not playing since GGX2 in 2002 or so. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I'm not spending any power cards with Jam. Did they change the command? It says it's just the same K command on dust loop, but I can't figure out what's going on. I've checked in training too and can't seem to spend it. Trying say QCF+K won't spend the card (yes after charging all three to make sure I'm not charging the wrong one) and QCF+D only gives me a high dust. What am I doing wrong?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

Just play ST.

Let's talk about anti-claw starts, because that character is bullshit.

Says the person who plays st claw :|

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Antillese posted:

Hey GG fans: I just bought GGAC on XBLA after not playing since GGX2 in 2002 or so. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I'm not spending any power cards with Jam. Did they change the command? It says it's just the same K command on dust loop, but I can't figure out what's going on. I've checked in training too and can't seem to spend it. Trying say QCF+K won't spend the card (yes after charging all three to make sure I'm not charging the wrong one) and QCF+D only gives me a high dust. What am I doing wrong?

Jam's cards changed significantly in AC, now a charged move can only be used by cancelling off one of the 3 kick moves, qcf+S->K, or qcf+S->D.

So if you do, for example, qcf+k, qcf+k, you will do a uncharged ryujin, cancelled by a charged ryujin (assuming, of course, that you a have a K card).

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Sade posted:

Did you really spend months losing to people repeatedly? I thought I wasn't cut out for this genre; I've got about 60 hours of training + play time in KoF13, 40-ish in SSF4AE and another 20-30 hours in GGPO games and just lose constantly to everyone, even other new players quite consistently. I still have a 26% winrate in KoF13. I'm not too upset over losing, but it would be nice to know that someone else also got their rear end destroyed for months.

I've won a couple ranked games in SSF4AE and KoF13, but I really am happy if I can take a round or two characters most of the time. I've seen improvement, but I really didn't think I'd sit at poo poo tier play for so long. Though I think a lot of that is not using training mode as anything but various inputs practice.

My piece for the beating on newbies discussion: as a guy being poo poo on all the time, I think it really just depends on the game. I don't really care about being completely and utterly poo poo on in SSF4AE because I have time to think and sorta have an idea of what's going on in the match. When I fight Juicebox in KoF13, I don't get to play the game almost at all, even after nearly 400 matches. My evolution against Juicebox has gone from landing crouching normals to occasionally landing a hit confirm into a 3-hit combo. If I were introducing someone to KoF13 I'd punish them mercilessly, but I wouldn't use HD combos and I'd avoid doing punishes that take over half their HP unless you can't avoid it (Shen). In SSF4AE I'd play as hard as I could, because you sort of have to play hard in that game it seems.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 20, 2013

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

rivals posted:

Says the person who plays st claw :|

You've found me out; I'm fishing for anti-claw strats so I can learn anti-anti-claw strats.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

You've found me out; I'm fishing for anti-claw strats so I can learn anti-anti-claw strats.

Too many yomi layers~

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are there still people in goonsgarden that will play st? Havent gotten on there in forever and I miss playing st.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Yes there are about 6 people or so that play regularly.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Quite a few are west coast though, so that might gently caress with timing.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I want to learn ST, but I'm bad + new at fighting games so I'm probably not what you are looking for.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Faffel posted:

Did you really spend months losing to people repeatedly? I thought I wasn't cut out for this genre; I've got about 60 hours of training + play time in KoF13, 40-ish in SSF4AE and another 20-30 hours in GGPO games and just lose constantly to everyone, even other new players quite consistently. I still have a 26% winrate in KoF13. I'm not too upset over losing, but it would be nice to know that someone else also got their rear end destroyed for months.

Yeah basically it seems like the secret to getting good at fighting games is to lose a shitload of games. I'd probably have a similar record to yours if it wasn't for getting into rooms with particularly stubborn newbies a couple times (someone bought the game, quickly went online after watching a few juicebox videos and practicing a bit, and went 0-16 against me. That's loving dedication; I usually take a break after four of five back-crushing losses). You just gotta try to reason out what good players are doing and why they're doing it, then -- the hard part -- try to apply it in your game.

We lagged horribly, but you did take a couple matches from me. I'm horrendously bad but my advice is to work on your neutral game and footsies a bit. I'd get so many free pokes on you all the time, they probably won it for me on their own.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah basically it seems like the secret to getting good at fighting games is to lose a shitload of games. I'd probably have a similar record to yours if it wasn't for getting into rooms with particularly stubborn newbies a couple times (someone bought the game, quickly went online after watching a few juicebox videos and practicing a bit, and went 0-16 against me. That's loving dedication; I usually take a break after four of five back-crushing losses). You just gotta try to reason out what good players are doing and why they're doing it, then -- the hard part -- try to apply it in your game.

We lagged horribly, but you did take a couple matches from me. I'm horrendously bad but my advice is to work on your neutral game and footsies a bit. I'd get so many free pokes on you all the time, they probably won it for me on their own.

I lost 84 games in a row before I took my first victory in KoF13. It owned.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Faffel posted:

I want to learn ST, but I'm bad + new at fighting games so I'm probably not what you are looking for.

Are you east coast? I'll teach you if you are.

I'll play with west coasters if the ping isn't too bad, where I moved a year ago there is exactly zero fg scene so I kinda gave up practicing but I miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Antillese posted:

Jam uses cards with motion+D in AC+R, not regular AC. Go into Game Options and change game type to +R so you aren't playing the old version anymore.

• Locked thread