Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Q seems like a good plan.

Voting for B along with Sogol's prayer :frogout:

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 20, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

B: Let's just get outta here guys, keep the pearls. It's not gonna follow us across the desert.

Edit: Roll our eyes, huff loudly, throw our our hands in the air and then just walk away.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 20, 2013

Uberwill
May 1, 2007

我的中文不是很好
Do we still have the smoked eye? If so:

R. The Jackle's Third Eye

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
B I think we have over stayed our welcome.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
R. Pull a Tudiya. Enkidel rests his head on the altar and vows to serve El for the rest of his life. He vows to feed the hungry, defend the helpless, tend to the sick and dying, comfort the lonely and punish the wicked.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
B

Don't waste all our poo poo on a hail mary to try and kill the monster a third the size of Zepath. Just get our poo poo and go.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Q seems like a good plan.

Voting for B :frogout:

Yup. This look told me all I need to know, we can totally run from it or at least start running from it. I'd like, while we're gathering our things, to begin saying a prayer beseeching aid as we flee though.

Also, I'd like to also apologize for leaving the altar behind while we pray, and ask that we be forgiven for this. This is all as we are getting our poo poo and running.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
This thing seems to be having difficulty getting on land, so since we seen to have a little time I say B, grab our stuff and go. I think snarls would agree to getting the hell out.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ok fine <:mad:>

Changing my vote to B

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C no time for counting pearls. Just grab some and see how many we have left later.

Do the rite. Continue to monitor Seething Horror's progress inland. It might only be able to get bits of itself up the beach. We should try to determine where the edge of that is, if possible.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It doesn't look like this thing can really support itself all that well outside of water - probably too used to letting buoyancy help out with its weight. That'll be interesting information to keep in mind for later, if we ever get buff enough to take it on. For now, what it mainly means is that it's probably gonna have trouble catching up to us if we run.

So let's do that.

Voting B, let's get the hell out of here with as much of our stuff as we can carry without slowing us down too badly. If need be we can drop stuff for extra speed. Pray to El like a madman while we run.

Also, this is planning ahead a bit, but if we get out of this alive with all our stuff intact? I'm voting we sacrifice half the pearls to El as thanks right there and then, take the rest, and go home. We've done way more than enough.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
*edit* Vote changed further below! *edit*

B! As we're running, hurl bits of smoked fish wildly in every direction, but as far as we can. That thing is made of mouths and screams in agony, probably due to hunger. Even though it is very large, it looks like it's going to have trouble keeping form while chasing us; even a moment it has to spend distracted by fish is one more step or three out of its reach.

Or, joke option, we could pray for speed and cunning and then try and offer it our smoked fish while communicating. I wouldn't be surprised if the poor thing was hungry all the time, scaring off all the fish before it can even arrive with its moans of starvation. Or it could be composed of the dead flesh of the cannibal meals of Athar, grown larger after each sacrifice and mindlessly hungering for more human flesh...

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 20, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
No seething horror, don't eat me! I can tell you where a huge town is... right on a river! Yum! Think how tasty that would be. You just need to give me a ride a bit up the coast and then up the river. Should only take a day or so.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
B.Grab our stuff and run!
R. Also curse at and mock the beast.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Sogol posted:

No seething horror, don't eat me! I can tell you where a huge town is... right on a river! Yum! Think how tasty that would be. You just need to give me a ride a bit up the coast and then up the river. Should only take a day or so.

"Also, there's a place not too far from here filled with regenerating dragons that attack on sight! Flow yourself into a ravine somewhere, gibber loudly for awhile, and I guarantee a never-ending buffet will bring itself right to you!"

*edit* In all seriousness though, I'm not sure whether making a full retreat, scrambling back for better ground, or offering a sacrifice and standing our ground is the better choice.

Sure, standing still is likely suicide. The thing has trouble on land but has enough size to flow right over us, especially if it's flattening out. On the other hand, every legend we've heard says that El favors those who stand against impossible odds and we just happen to have an altar at hand with a bunch of awesome offerings. Running away entirely is also tempting. It's not our problem, even Tudiya's afraid of the thing, Zepa may have merely beat it back into the ocean, and we are incredibly inexperienced in fighting. Besides, we've already passed our test and are merely fishing for better prizes and accolade at this point.

Fighting back from further within the treeline gives us plenty of potential high-ground if the thing can't support itself on land, and we may be able to figure a way to beat it down or burn it up with it slowed. Of course, there's always the possibility that it will chase us into a tree and then stay there, constantly regenerating every piece we manage to chop off of it until we finally starve and fall into its gaping maw(s).

Anybody got any ideas?

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 20, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
After the rite-

I want us to lure bits of it away from or out to the edge of the main into the trees and kill them.

Don't know if that is possible yet. We need to see more of its behavior on land and not be killed in the process.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Voting for plan ' let's just grab our poo poo and run, ' B

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Sogol posted:

After the rite-

I want us to lure bits of it away from or out to the edge of the main into the trees and kill them.

Don't know if that is possible yet. We need to see more of its behavior on land and not be killed in the process.

I'm in.

Changing vote to:

C or D, just hurl them on the altar; they were meant for El, anyway.
E because we put hard work into it and it is very useful.
I (if this is the skull and eye) because what good is reknown if we're digested? In any cae, this thing has many, many lots of eyes to bring back.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah but if the sacrifice saves us and El kills it, there's no point bringing it back, we'd just be giving El something he already owns.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't think El is known to ever kill things directly.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
All things are in glory of El, but He does not act directly.

If he helps us smite this thing, it won't be directly. We'll still need to rely on our own cunning to survive.

*edit* Yeah, what Sogol said.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah but if the sacrifice saves us and El kills it, there's no point bringing it back, we'd just be giving El something he already owns.

I think this is roughly true, even though El wouldn't do it directly.

The stuff we're grabbing as we flee though? That's a great sacrifice, in part due to having to run the gently caress away from this thing.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
B We should try to get as far away from this thing as possible.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
We only need to outrun it initially, the drat thing is gonna be a quaking jibbering mess when it hits the tree line.

Surely the boy can only keep walking this pace for a few more hours, just a feeew more hours. Surely only a day, maybe a couple of days. How long has this been? poo poo where's the water!? -Final thoughts of an abysmal sea monster.

Just remember to slip on the sandals at the tree line.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Can we do B and a quick sacrifice? Literally just toss an item and fire onto the altar, cross ourselves and then book it the hell out of there? If so I'm voting B and H. Toss that flaming branch/kindling onto the altar along with the fish, then grab our poo poo and book it. Don't take any time to make it fancy, this isn't a big El invocation to bring down his wrath, it's just the best offering we can make at the moment to ask him to watch over us and give us speed or something.

If not, just B I guess.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
A third the size of Zepath is big. Seems like B is the way to go for now. Maybe we can think of something else if it beaches itself by accident, or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
DEGHI COME ON BIG MAN COME THROUGH FOR US ON THIS ONE

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Can we do B and a quick sacrifice? Literally just toss an item and fire onto the altar, cross ourselves and then book it the hell out of there? If so I'm voting B and H. Toss that flaming branch/kindling onto the altar along with the fish, then grab our poo poo and book it. Don't take any time to make it fancy, this isn't a big El invocation to bring down his wrath, it's just the best offering we can make at the moment to ask him to watch over us and give us speed or something.

If not, just B I guess.

There is no reason you could not, if you wanted to, though a proper sacrifice is burned on an altar and prayed over.

B seems to be winning by a large margin, expect the next update in a few hours at this rate, we will wait a bit longer to see if this trend sticks.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B. Something tells me the further it chases us into El's domain the better chamce we have of standing on our own IF it catches up to us or just cleanly getting away. I'd like to see how it handles the altar's presence.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
B. Everyone out of the pool, Shoggoths in the water.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Be gone

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Yep, grab our poo poo and Beat feet. Do not stop to taunt Shoggie the Soggy Shoggoth. Do not stop to look back. In fact, do not stop. Be ever mindful that it probably could smash us if we poke at it too much. Hit the scrublands and walk toward ZepaStone, then make our way back.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
B. Grab things, run into the forest. I don't think it will deal well with land and forest.

Also, I want my pearls and jackal skull. They're cool.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C + H
This beastie came from the sea, so we'll give our sea stuff to El

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Voting - R

Put cloak and sandals on, stand on the shrine, eat the jackals fireball eye, the pearls, and torch ourselves while holding the club and "gently caress you demon, ELLLLLL!!!"

End result being - we'll then be able to fight it with a flaming club and by spitting pearl fireballs at it- all supercharged by god power. In regards to the whole "no human sacrifice" rule, Tudiya might have found a loophole in someone offering themselves

Or we'll be nicely sautéed by the time it gets to us.

Either way, I'm all in for any plan - :black101:

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 20, 2013

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

B Let's leave. It doesn't seem to be able to go fast on land, but if it can it would be good to get a head start.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I need a little more input on your running speed:

Minivote: On a scale of one to ten, how great is your desire to run the hell away from this thing?
1. Well... I suppose we should move away.
2. *Put on a monacole* Why good sir, I have carefully weighed all of the arguments, the pros and the cons and decided it would be just smashing if we moved away from this general vicinity, what do you say?
3. Guys- guys... um.. we gotta go guys.
4. No, not a minute, don't grab your coat man we gotta go now.
5. I mean NOW damnit!
6. Oh god *bolts*!
7. Aaaaaaaah!
8. AAAAAAAAH!
9. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
10. ITS ASHERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

2: Roll our eyes and huff loudly, throw our our hands in the air, collect our stuff and then just walk away.