Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I was thinking about buying this as soon as it launches but I've still got a lot of reservations about the game mostly because as far as i'm aware, there hasn't really been that much shown of the actual game has there?

I get that they don't want to spoil anything but i kinda feel that by this point, before AA and AC launched we knew a lot more about both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stroth posted:

He does use guns if he needs to. But the game already has Deadshot, we don't need another crazed gunman.

Also, for the record, Deathstroke does use a staff in the comics. Admittedly, a high tech staff that shoots energy blasts, but he uses it like a bo.

Oh, that's why. I had mixed up Deathstroke and Deadshot and thought they were one and the same. That answers my question :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kin posted:

I was thinking about buying this as soon as it launches but I've still got a lot of reservations about the game mostly because as far as i'm aware, there hasn't really been that much shown of the actual game has there?

I get that they don't want to spoil anything but i kinda feel that by this point, before AA and AC launched we knew a lot more about both games.

There have been quite a few videos on YouTube with game play. One shows Barbara Gordon in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsfA4VyV0o

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean it looks like a Batman game exactly like the other two. I'm not sure what showing more of it would accomplish at this point.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

There have been quite a few videos on YouTube with game play. One shows Barbara Gordon in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsfA4VyV0o

Oh cool, I haven't watched any videos/done any background yet, but that seems to be Batman fighting cops.

This is really going for the early years of his life when everyone and everything in Gotham was corrupt as hell, isn't it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
They admitted in that Reddit AMA that Deathstroke wasn't even originally supposed to be playable and they just enjoyed their version so much they wanted to give him some playable maps. It doesn't really say anything about the quality of the rest of the game, and I don't really know why people are complaining that the gameplay seems largely the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Arkham City's gameplay didn't really need to be changed in my opinion.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, going by the last two games you should have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into at this point with a third game using the same engine. Unless they massively poo poo the bed then odds are you'll like the single player in this one if you liked the single player in the others.

Jerusalem posted:

It played very intuitively for me, everything felt natural and the more I played, the more it became second nature. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I'd used the controller from the start, and that I'd struggle if I then made the switch to m/kb.

Part of the problem is that I'm so used to the game I want to play it in hard mode, which removes all the on-screen prompts.

I played Asylum on PC with mouse/keyboard and City on Xbox with a controller.

The controller is so much better.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 20, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No lie, I'm only getting Origins, because I can split a preorder for it on PSN on the PS3, so I only need to pay $30 for my copy. With the PS4 launch 2 weeks after and the deluge of holiday titles, I would really skip it at full price, and see if it hit below $30 on Black Friday.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

No lie, I'm only getting Origins, because I can split a preorder for it on PSN on the PS3, so I only need to pay $30 for my copy. With the PS4 launch 2 weeks after and the deluge of holiday titles, I would really skip it at full price, and see if it hit below $30 on Black Friday.

I would say odds are against that happening, but I did get a few games like Borderlands 2, rear end Creed 3, and Xcom for $25 last year when they'd only been out a month or two.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Hakkesshu posted:

Either way playing with a mouse and keyboard is totally fine.

A big part of that comes from both previous games having really quality console-to-PC ports. I honestly can't think of any others that actually bother to lay out the weapons in a horizontal line to match the keyboard, instead of just lazily using the default D-pad shape.

While I don't intend to buy it until sales start happening, I'm going to be really disappointed if Origins doesn't have that same level of work put into the PC version as the previous two did. I know it's nitpick-y, but it's something I really appreciated about the series thus far.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

raditts posted:

Yeah, going by the last two games you should have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into at this point with a third game using the same engine. Unless they massively poo poo the bed then odds are you'll like the single player in this one if you liked the single player in the others.

Yeah, I mean, I get what people are saying about Deathstroke even if it doesn't personally matter to me too much, but I see people complaining that Batman's animations and general abilities are too similar to City's, and I just don't get that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Action Tortoise posted:

It's a shame that Robin and Nightwing weren't playable in the actual city. Even if there was nothing to do in the city it still would have been fun to do travel all over the place with different characters.

Everyone's hoping that's what the "real" third game will be like.

But wait, isn't Robin in the multiplayer for this one? Wouldn't people notice that he plays exactly like Deathstroke even if they hadn't played the previous game?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Think I'm going to cancel my GMG pre-purchase. Buying stuff before the RPS review is a habit I've broken recently and it should stay broken. With the first two games having just gone on sale and gotten free GotY upgrades I can get all the Batman gaming I need for some time.

Deathstroke being a re-skin is a red flag for how much of this game might just be a new dev team turning cranks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't really care if Deathstroke keeps the same animations as Robin, as long as he still has the Throw move, since that's the best move in the game. If he doesn't, well then gently caress you Eric Holmes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beeez posted:

They admitted in that Reddit AMA that Deathstroke wasn't even originally supposed to be playable and they just enjoyed their version so much they wanted to give him some playable maps. It doesn't really say anything about the quality of the rest of the game, and I don't really know why people are complaining that the gameplay seems largely the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Arkham City's gameplay didn't really need to be changed in my opinion.

In my opinion, the gameplay should always seek to advance. I mean Arkham City's is pretty great, but it could still see to have more to it. The game looks fine though and it's probably gonna be pretty fun. Is there any word yet on if the multiplayer is actually going to be good or not or are they just shoving it in because every big game these days needs multiplayer?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

In my opinion, the gameplay should always seek to advance. I mean Arkham City's is pretty great, but it could still see to have more to it. The game looks fine though and it's probably gonna be pretty fun. Is there any word yet on if the multiplayer is actually going to be good or not or are they just shoving it in because every big game these days needs multiplayer?

Well, it seems like there'll be new gadgets, I just don't think they need to totally change the engine or the animations. Change for the sake of change doesn't seem better to me than using the last game as a base to put new scenarios and areas onto.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I definitely don't think this game is going to be bad, but it just looks like more of that exact same Batman game that I've already played two times.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Well, sure. But I'd almost rather replay Asylum just because that game has such a cool atmosphere to it that Origins doesn't look it has at all. At some point you're going to burn out on that same formula if the developers put everything on cruise control just because the engine already has good fundamentals and they don't have a lot of time to add more new stuff to it. More gadgets doesn't exactly sound like the thing I would want out of a new Batman game, since as far as I'm concerned they're mostly just there for multipliers.

I already bought this game 'cause I got it super cheap, so I'm not sure I should be complaining, but I was already getting that "you know what, I'm good, I don't need to play more of these" feeling out of City. I don't know what could make me excited about a new one, but I agree that change for change's sake isn't the way to go either.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I guess it's up to personal taste, and maybe you played City more than me, but I personally don't feel burnt out on it like you do. That being said, Asylum's more enclosed, creepy atmosphere was really cool, even though I felt City was still more fun overall.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, this is a lot sooner than I thought. Can anyone tell if this is going to be more like City and open-world, or more like Asylum and be a tight Metroidvania kind of place?

I hope it's the latter. Open worlds are fine but a good tight Metroidvania environment like Asylum had is like a diamond unicorn. Also apparently REALLY hard to make.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
All eight assassins have been revealed.

Aside from the six that have already been officially announced, here are the last two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beeez posted:

I guess it's up to personal taste, and maybe you played City more than me, but I personally don't feel burnt out on it like you do. That being said, Asylum's more enclosed, creepy atmosphere was really cool, even though I felt City was still more fun overall.

I played the everloving poo poo out of City and I'm still good for more, regardless of which style it follows (my money would be on City, it makes more sense given what I've heard about it). I would be a bit more apprehensive if I'd paid more than $25 for it, but at that price I can think of it as a decently sized Arkham City DLC.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All eight assassins have been revealed.

Aside from the six that have already been officially announced, here are the last two.

Lady Shiva was revealed weeks ago and I would need more than a photographed screen to believe that Killer Croc is on the list. That does not qualify as an assassin no matter how you look at it. It's probably a side quest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, according to someone who got the game early, Killer Croc is one of the assassins and the first boss of the game. The fact that the progress meter at the top is only at 26% also seems to hint that they're an early encounter. And even if they aren't, Bruce gets a datachip on the assassins at the beginning of the game and would unlock all eight profiles immediately.

I haven't been able to find any concrete evidence aside from hearsay, mind you.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 20, 2013

willjbish
Nov 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, this is a lot sooner than I thought. Can anyone tell if this is going to be more like City and open-world, or more like Asylum and be a tight Metroidvania kind of place?

I hope it's the latter. Open worlds are fine but a good tight Metroidvania environment like Asylum had is like a diamond unicorn. Also apparently REALLY hard to make.

From everything I've seen it seems more like City.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

willjbish posted:

From everything I've seen it seems more like City.

Yeah, the game will definitely be open-world in vein of City seeing that the area is twice as large in Origins as it was in the previous game (to the point where they introduced fast travel). Check this preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKt7VsmZifQ
Even the UI is reminiscent of that in City.

EDIT: Actually, in the second half of that video you can see that there are some new Batman animations. Hope Deathstroke reskin was really done because they didn't have enough time.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 20, 2013

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
So I don't pay that much attention to DC comics - Copperhead in this game is a woman and I've read that this is the New 52 version of the character which used to be a man. However in the New 52 Justice League comics I have read, Copperhead is an actual snake man who has served as a jobber villain. Are there two Copperheads or something?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Really excited for Origins, I'm not even that big a fan of Batman but Asylum and City were both fantastic games with their own merits and even if this new game is just more of the same I could not ask for more. Hell I'm planning on getting Blackgate for the 3DS to! Did I mention I wasn't much of a Batman fan? I may be in denial.

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 20, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

So I don't pay that much attention to DC comics - Copperhead in this game is a woman and I've read that this is the New 52 version of the character which used to be a man. However in the New 52 Justice League comics I have read, Copperhead is an actual snake man who has served as a jobber villain. Are there two Copperheads or something?
The female one in the game is new, full-stop. Supposedly they're going to try to integrate her into the comics sometime after the game. And yes, there already is a male Copperhead hangin' out in the New52, but it looks like he's getting replaced.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, the game will definitely be open-world in vein of City seeing that the area is twice as large in Origins as it was in the previous game (to the point where they introduced fast travel). Check this preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKt7VsmZifQ
Even the UI is reminiscent of that in City.

EDIT: Actually, in the second half of that video you can see that there are some new Batman animations. Hope Deathstroke reskin was really done because they didn't have enough time.
Ooh, the dev said the Mr. Freeze fight was their favorite boss fight. It was for me too, and honestly the only boss fight in City I remember very clearly. If all the boss fights are like that then I'm sold.

edit: I bet this was answered already but why is it coming out on the 25th?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 20, 2013

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Anticipation got me to reinstall AA and AC on my new-ish laptop, and all this middle mouse button nonsense is making me tear my hair out. Its not such an issue on AC, as I can re-map keys, but on AA, even though the left mouse key works fine for strike and what have you, it just will not spray the gel, and its not the R key as many on google suggest, thats secondary functions, like explode. Its pissing me off, as I completed both on my last laptop and cannot remember any such problems.

Anyone got any ideas? I have a touchpad, and don't really want to have to hook up a mouse, but if there is an easy way to re-map keys, I'll do it. Random button smashing (last frustrated resort) did nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I bet this was answered already but why is it coming out on the 25th?

Nobody seems to know but the only thing I can think of is that they want a day without competition? It doesn't make much sense.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ooh, the dev said the Mr. Freeze fight was their favorite boss fight. It was for me too, and honestly the only boss fight in City I remember very clearly. If all the boss fights are like that then I'm sold.

I think the boss fights will be fun in this game, if it's not just PR speak:

Ben Mattes posted:

Our decision to create a premise of assassins coming to town and challenging Batman to undergo this significant evolution was inspired and driven heavily by the Mr. freeze fight. Our entire boss fight design philosophy centres around that idea of the masterclass. For every core encounter that we have in this game, the player is tested on the mastery of some subset of the Arkham mechanic. Each assassin serves effectively as an exam that, by passing, the player is given the confidence to take the lessons learned to apply in the rest world as we layer in more challenging enemy configurations.
Source

Being a big fan of Asylum and City, I'm really trying not to get pumped about this game. Only the Deathstroke reskin and bland, tacked-on multiplayer (judging by the posts earlier in this thread) are holding me back on getting this day one.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

If there's going to be any batman worth getting day 1 it's going to be the 3ds version.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

If there's going to be any batman worth getting day 1 it's going to be the 3ds version.

That's a mighty big assumption for a game that doesn't look good at all.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm going to call it: this will be the Saint's Row 2/4 equivalent of the series. People will bitch about reused assets, short cuts, etc. before playing the game - when they do, we'll start to get people realizing that the fact that they don't have to spend as much time on engine work and assets gave the devs a lot of time to get creative in other areas.

Also, it will probably be better than City.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope you're right, dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

timeandtide posted:

I'm going to call it: this will be the Saint's Row 2/4 equivalent of the series. People will bitch about reused assets, short cuts, etc. before playing the game - when they do, we'll start to get people realizing that the fact that they don't have to spend as much time on engine work and assets gave the devs a lot of time to get creative in other areas.

Also, it will probably be better than City.

You're putting an enormous amount of faith into an untested third party developer working on a placeholder game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hakkesshu posted:

That's a mighty big assumption for a game that doesn't look good at all.

Are you crazy? It looks great. I think you might be confusing it with the bland looking vita version.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

Are you crazy? It looks great. I think you might be confusing it with the bland looking vita version.

Oh, yeah, I might be? I thought they were the same game?

Edit: Googling suggests they are the same game, which means I stand by my original statement. I think that game looks baaaaad.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh, yeah, I might be? I thought they were the same game?

They are, and the Vita version will almost certainly look substantially better unless they made the game for the 3DS and the Vita version is just a lazy hack-job that looks the same but runs in 544p.

• Locked thread