Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1 B
2 G
3 U It's after me Snarls! Split up and meet me on the other side of the forest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spreadsheet updated.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Ralith posted:

Plan jng2058

Sounds good to me!

ETA:

jng2058 posted:

1. E

2. O
Time to be smarter. We run perpendicular to our current course such that the monster and thrown trees are aiming in the wrong direction!

<----- Me & Snarls

Treeline -------------------
.............^
.............|
.............|
....Horrible Monster

Beach------------------------

3. U Slow to Snarl's maximum speed.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1 A
2 O Serpentine! Don't run in a straight line. That is too easy to hit.
3 U It's after me Snarls! Split up and meet me on the other side of the forest!

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1, C - Ogopolis

2, Plan jng2058

then

HiHo ChiRho posted:

K., but command the spawn of the sea to go back in the name of El. It holds no dominion here, this land was claimed by Zepa when it's mother was smote long ago. In the name of El turn it back!

3, U - Split up Snarls! - Go thataway (10 oclock on jng2058's diagram)

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C Pearl Necklace

F-U that it is throwing trees means we are probably at the edge of its range. Awareness of flying trees is as important as raw speed for the next moments. Change direction and match Snarl's pace, urging him on.

If we were going to use the altar now is it not the time.

Edit:
Oh! This is basically plan jng2058 without the helpful diagram, so I think it can be counted as that. Angle away a bit though so we increase distance and get out of range.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 21, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Changing my #2 and #3 to Plan jng2058. But try to angle it so we're moving a bit inland as we go.

And don't split up from Snarls no matter what! This guy doesn't exactly seem to be an indiscriminate eater and we don't want puppy eyes being added to his menagerie. :ohdear:

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 21, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I just want to say that this thing probably won't give up even if we run straight to Zepath. Obviously a forest doesn't faze it. Should we avoid other beasts on our constant two week run to Zepath, we are bringing destruction a third the size of the city to its front gate.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

It's been chasing us like five minutes, I doubt we can estimate it's devotion to chasing us from that.

I'll go with jng2058

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
1. C. Camp Ashar-El: A bastion of El's civilization placed against the domain of Ashera(h|k). It has failed.

2. F. I like plan jng2058, but I don't want to make a 90 degree turn. Let's go off at maybe a 45 degree angle. Goal is to get to the other side of the forest, eventually.

3. U: Slow to Snarls' maximum pace. He should be able to go for a while before needing to stop to avoid overheating/exhaustion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jng2058 posted:

1. E

2. O
Time to be smarter. We run perpendicular to our current course such that the monster and thrown trees are aiming in the wrong direction!

<----- Me & Snarls

Treeline -------------------
.............^
.............|
.............|
....Horrible Monster

Beach------------------------

Yeah, okay, lets try this. It seems unlikely that we can run faster carrying a dog than the dog can run on his own, but maybe we're a beefy track star.

Hopefully the thing will decide we're too much trouble to chase soon. We're a pretty small meal for something that size. Go eat a whale.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

HiHo ChiRho posted:

1. Wait. Did you name it?
D. I did not name it but I will now as I run for it! Enkidelopolis.

2. You...
O. I have another idea. Fill in. K., but command the spawn of the sea to go back in the name of El. It holds no dominion here, this land was claimed by Zepa when it's mother was smote long ago. In the name of El turn it back!

3. What about Snarls?
P. I voted for an option above which does not involve running.

Voting for this.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

2: HiHo ChiRho's plan (O)
3: P: If this works, he (and we) won't need to run anymore!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Enkidel: In the name of El I command you, go back from whence you came! Your kind holds no dominion here, for this land was claimed by Zepa for his descendants. Again, in the name of El, turn back! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

ELDRITCH HORROR: Ok then, I guess I'll be on my way. Sorry about all that, I didn't realise I was trespassing. I'll just head back to the foul abyss from whence I came. Catch you later!

Yup. This plan can't possibly go wrong.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 21, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Will running perpendicular take us towards a river or body of water?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. C - Innsmouth Camp Barkidel
2. H. Honestly, I was going to suggest K, but gently caress it, let's make this thing kill its own damned self trying to catch us.
3. S - The only thing making our club special is the spikes. As long as we have our knife, we can make more weapons and tools and whatnot.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Rahul posted:

Enkidel: In the name of El I command you, go back from whence you came! Your kind holds no dominion here, for this land was claimed by Zepa for his descendants. Again, in the name of El, turn back! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

ELDRITCH HORROR: Ok then, I guess I'll be on my way. Sorry about all that, I didn't realise I was trespassing. I'll just head back to the foul abyss from whence I came. Catch you later!

Eldritch Horror: Ah, yes, terribly rude of me, what? I'll just shimmy out then, will I? Perhaps we can get tea and biscuits later on, old chap?

Vote Plan JNG2058

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Eat the pearls.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slaan posted:

Eldritch Horror: Ah, yes, terribly rude of me, what? I'll just shimmy out then, will I? Perhaps we can get tea and biscuits later on, old chap?

Vote Plan JNG2058

"Surely we could settle our differences with a rousing game of tennis, old bean?"

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I just want to say that this thing probably won't give up even if we run straight to Zepath. Obviously a forest doesn't faze it. Should we avoid other beasts on our constant two week run to Zepath, we are bringing destruction a third the size of the city to its front gate.

By the way it's lobbing trees instead of just charging after us I think we're already on the edge of its ability to pursue.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
What I, as a mere individual and not (intentionally) a component of Enkidel's psyche, keep thinking, is this: So, say we survive and get back to Zepath. What do we tell people? Are all the events meant to be secret, or can we start wildly exaggerating the way Tudiya did when we first got here?

"Oh, it was fierce. I was plagued by jackals every night. I killed several packs, and tore the head of their king from his demonic body with my bare hands. I gathered these pearls by diving into the very home of Asherak, evading the eyes of all the monsters of the deep, until one day a beast twice the size of Baitel rose to recover the pearls, so precious were they."

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Vavrek posted:

What I, as a mere individual and not (intentionally) a component of Enkidel's psyche, keep thinking, is this: So, say we survive and get back to Zepath. What do we tell people? Are all the events meant to be secret, or can we start wildly exaggerating the way Tudiya did when we first got here?

"Oh, it was fierce. I was plagued by jackals every night. I killed several packs, and tore the head of their king from his demonic body with my bare hands. I gathered these pearls by diving into the very home of Asherak, evading the eyes of all the monsters of the deep, until one day a beast twice the size of Baitel rose to recover the pearls, so precious were they."

I think these manhood rites are supposed to be secret. After all, we never knew it was coming.

Relatedly, when we get back we should ask Tudiya why he lied. I think we're close enough to get away with it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

We should try out ridiculous boasts on somebody, though. Maybe Tudiya, maybe Ishamal. Someone who would know that they're just ridiculous boasts for the point of being ridiculous.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ralith posted:

I think these manhood rites are supposed to be secret. After all, we never knew it was coming.

Relatedly, when we get back we should ask Tudiya why he lied. I think we're close enough to get away with it.

Tudiya looks at you.
A. "Did I lie? You and your mother both proclaimed to the whole city that I did all that I said I had done."
B. "The townsfolk love hearing that sort of stuff, and it's a harmless embellishment anyways."
C. "They never would have believed where all of those pearls came from. I had to claim a few extra loot tables. Seriously kid, you could have bought and sold my rear end with that much pearl-money. If people knew they were EASY to get, it'd crash our economy."
D. "It helps promote belief in El, and it is not a true lie. I HAVE slain all of those beasts before, just not all in your journey here."

Vavrek posted:

We should try out ridiculous boasts on somebody, though. Maybe Tudiya, maybe Ishamal. Someone who would know that they're just ridiculous boasts for the point of being ridiculous.

Where's your avatar from? I swear I've seen that show before.
Also, I don't think we should talk about it at all, not even facetiously. I mean, all of our years in Zepath, and we have NEVER heard anyone talking about their trial.
Besides, if we don't die out here, we'll have plenty of real stories to talk about when we become adventurers.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 21, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I'd been kind of assuming that as soon as we get back and make our big sacrifice the first thing we would be doing is hitting the bars with Ishmael & co. and having the biggest bar crawl of our life to celebrate our Manhood while we regale them with wild tales of our grand adventure.
We are going to do this right, Dio? (Assuming Mr. Eldritch Horror doesn't eat us first, of course...)

edit: As for the secrecy, I thought that was just around the children so they wouldn't know to expect it. If it's something all the men have experienced, I don't see why it would be taboo to talk about it amongst themselves.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 21, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Rahul posted:

I'd been kind of assuming that as soon as we get back and make our big sacrifice the first thing we would be doing is hitting the bars with Ishmael & co. and having the biggest bar crawl of our life to celebrate our Manhood while we regale them with wild tales of our grand adventure.
We are going to do this right, Dio? (Assuming Mr. Eldritch Horror doesn't eat us first, of course...)

edit: As for the secrecy, I thought that was just around the children so they wouldn't know to expect it. If it's something all the men have experienced, I don't see why it would be taboo to talk about it amongst themselves.

This is my interpretation too. We've also got some pretty solid stories to tell when we get back. We didn't wuss out on our ritual, and we even went places few from Zepath, even Mighty Men, will go.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1C. Camp here be Face-Eaters. Because that's what I imagine this thing that's currently chasing us does. Should traveling agencies become a thing in Zepath's near future, the name will also be tremendously useful when people decide on a list of places they'd rather not visit.
2O. K, but pull a Tudiya and offer a lifetime of service to El. A sacrifice has to be meaningful. The pearls probably are, but they're material goods. I think the immaterial offer of being a protector to the people is better.
3P.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

the_steve posted:

I believe that is the character Pilot from the show Farscape, which everyone should totally check out if they get the chance.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

1.C I name it "Sea reclamation outpost"
2.H
3.T we need snarls and a weapon, the rest doesnt really matter

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Rahul posted:

The plan is worse than assuming this thing might stop chasing us past the forest? Or that we can outrun it?

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. B
2. F
3. Q

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The plan is worse than assuming this thing might stop chasing us past the forest? Or that we can outrun it?

We probably shouldn't yell at it because then it can pinpoint where we are more easily by sound. At least at the moment it is blindly lobbing trees in our general direction.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

jng2058 posted:

1. E

2. O

Aside from the fact that I'd like to angle so that we're still running roughly away from the beastie, just at an angle, and adding in zig-zags to throw off the thing's aim, voting this.

By the way, Diog, can we still see the thing through the tree-line? If we can't, or we're having a hard time, that could indicate that it's throwing trees more out of sheer frustration than anything else.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Well, just yelling something as we run seems more or less harmless even if it is ineffective (which I think it will be). STOPPING to yell, though? That's crazy talk.

Because, yeah, there's actually quite a fair bit of evidence suggesting that this thing is gonna have trouble chasing us too far inland. Tudiya and co., of course, fled Asherah's wrath fairly effectively just by running ahead from the sea - Asherah didn't send a tentacle monster to chase them straight back to Zepath, after all. For that matter, Asherah used to own the lands around Zepath before Zepa kicked the crap out of him - if his minions could easily march out of the water and keep on hitting the city, why aren't we under near-constant siege by sea monsters instead of sea beasties being more of a distant myth? So the idea of this thing running allllll the way to Zepath is already fairly unlikely.

But that's in the long-term. In the short-term, can we run away in time? Again, seems fairly likely. Note the description of the monster when we looked at it - in particular, the fact that it couldn't lift itself too far above water before falling back. This strongly suggests that it has trouble supporting itself outside of the buoyancy of water, which is naturally going to slow it down and make wandering around on land fairly unpleasant in and of itself. Diog's description also noted that its mode of movement makes it likely that it'll be slowing down once it hits the land, and it was certainly doing its best not to get on land until the last minute. In short, this thing is a SEA monster, and not apparently well-designed for hunting on land.

Does this GUARANTEE that we can run faster than it can? No. But it does mean we've got a pretty decent fighting chance assuming we don't get impaled by a tree on our way out. The odds are not perfect, by any means, but they're pretty good.

In contrast, your plan involves standing still and telling this beastie that the land belongs to El and Zepa when Zepa HIMSELF was unwilling to set up a city less than a few weeks travel away from the ocean. In fact, no city set up by the line of Labras is anywhere close to the ocean, and everybody in such cities keep talking about how going near the sea is probably a death sentence. Under these circumstances, when all the evidence points to the men of Labras having no hold over the coast whatsoever, you want to try telling it that it should go away because Zepa planted a flag here (which he didn't.)

Do you still think those two plans are comparable?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

Note the description of the monster when we looked at it - in particular, the fact that it couldn't lift itself too far above water before falling back. This strongly suggests that it has trouble supporting itself outside of the buoyancy of water, which is naturally going to slow it down and make wandering around on land fairly unpleasant in and of itself. Diog's description also noted that its mode of movement makes it likely that it'll be slowing down once it hits the land, and it was certainly doing its best not to get on land until the last minute. In short, this thing is a SEA monster, and not apparently well-designed for hunting on land.

Five minutes ago it was struggling to get up on land. Now it is throwing trees at us. I don't think it's having THAT much of an issue on land anymore.

E: The trees are also being thrown in all directions around us. I am unsure how long our good luck dodging entire trees will last.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 21, 2013

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Its arms have reached the treeline and have begun tossing trees. We do not know if its body is actually overtaking the land in a meningful way. This thing is just that big that its arm span is moindbogingly long and its strength is as well.

I vote to change direction and go at snarles' pace. I think it would be wise to go less obtuse with our angle. If we are pointing forward I don't want to turn a full 90deg left or right. I would rather turn 60(ish)deg. Still change our location but also gain a bit of total distance. We still need to get out of its range. But weaving is always a good idea when trying to avoid a barrage poorly aimed though a treeline.

*QUESTION TO ALL OF US*

We have high quality vision and hearing. Should we try to anticipate where these pieces of timber are going to land and move more strategically? We have spent a lot of time practicing with wooden projectiles of our own, though obviously these are of a whole other spectrum, we should have an idea of parabolic projectile patters and how to take gravity and speed into account. It might cost us a bit of time but would be arguably safer.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

E: The trees are also being thrown in all directions around us. I am unsure how long our good luck dodging entire trees will last.

If only we actually had a helmet. It might help.

the_steve posted:

Also, I don't think we should talk about it at all, not even facetiously. I mean, all of our years in Zepath, and we have NEVER heard anyone talking about their trial.
Besides, if we don't die out here, we'll have plenty of real stories to talk about when we become adventurers.

paragon1 got it exactly right. I knew I had to make it my avatar when I saw the :geno: expression on his face. The title is a quote from the same show, same actor, different character.

Part of the reason we never heard anyone talk about their trial may simply be because you're not supposed to say anything to children (and presumably women). Who knows. Maybe men talk about their trials with each other all the time. Maybe the reason men don't talk about their 'trials' is because they went on a two-week camping trip with their older brother and didn't do anything noteworthy.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Tomn posted:

By the way, Diog, can we still see the thing through the tree-line? If we can't, or we're having a hard time, that could indicate that it's throwing trees more out of sheer frustration than anything else.
You cannot see it, the trees behind you obscure it.

But you can certainly hear it. Either it has come into the forest and is throwing trees as it goes, or it is big enough that its tendrils are crawling out of the sea towards you, throwing trees as it goes, in which case the portion of it underwater must be monstrously huge.

The sounds of snapping tree limbs do not match up to the number of trees currently in the air, it may simply be breaking trees apart as it climbs over them?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Hmmm... So we have really pissed it off somehow. Not just looking for tasty morsels it seems.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

If only we'd never had our hair cut. This could all have been avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'd like to take this moment to point out that the reason I called for a perpendicular course had more to with ease of diagramming not necessarily purely tactical concerns. I have no problem with a different angle of retreat so long as it isn't the one we're currently on and it takes us deeper into the woods. Maybe 60 or 70 degrees rather than 90.