Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Strangely enough my speedometer appears to be perfectly calibrated when I have my snow tires on. They must be larger diameter than my regular tires.

Is it easy to do a speedometer calibration? My brother's car is pretty far off.

In terms of speeding, I often set my cruise control at exactly the speed limit. People then speed by me and then slow down, and I overtake them... and it happens again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know how much of a difference it makes to population-level driving habits, but I assume pretty much nobody else knows how far off their speedo is. I had mine calibrated by the RCMP ("Do you know how fast you were going?" "Uh... no. Too fast, I guess. Why don't you tell me?" *realizes GPS that said 131 km/h is entirely accurate, in-car speedo indicating something over 140 km/h is not*), but I already strongly suspected a correction factor of 10%.

When I don't have my GPS running, I tend to drive at the speed limit - but my in-car speedo says I'm speeding. When people try to kiss my back bumper as a result, I just ignore them. In this part of the world, a nice safe passing zone will open up fairly soon.

I am assuming those "YOUR SPEED: __ MPH" radar signs they set up along the road periodically are somewhat accurate, as they tell me my speedo is about 10% high. So I'd expect joe sixpack to know about how far off his is based on these, even if he doesn't have a phone or a standalone GPS that can tell him.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

I am assuming those "YOUR SPEED: __ MPH" radar signs they set up along the road periodically are somewhat accurate, as they tell me my speedo is about 10% high. So I'd expect joe sixpack to know about how far off his is based on these, even if he doesn't have a phone or a standalone GPS that can tell him.

You're assuming that "most people" even give it a second thought.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just my observation but the signs only seem to be accurate at certain distances. It may depend on the setup though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There was actually a case here where some motorist was using the radar YOUR SPEED IS ___ displays to calibrate his speedo, and then got a speeding ticket (because it was off). He (or rather, our equivalent of AAA) took it pretty far up the court system, but in the end he lost.

The average sign is probably more accurate than the average speedo, though, especially considering that wheel circumference might not be what the speedo was calibrated for.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Oddly enough my speedo reads slow. I've checked with 3 GPS devices and when the car indicates 80mph it is actually going 83mph. If I go the standard 5mph over at 80 I'm pushing 90.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

KozmoNaut posted:

You're assuming that "most people" even give it a second thought.

Also that they look at their speedo, understand a speed limit, and have the ability to maintain a speed for any length of time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Raluek posted:

Haha, there's currently one on I95 northbound into DC that's reading roughly 15 mph too low (accordingly to our speedos and GPSs).

I have a pie in the sky conspiracy theory about it, that maybe it's a deliberate effort to make people think their speedos are reading 65mph when they're supposedly going 50mph so obviously just to go the speed limit (65) they should crank it to a reading of 80mph. Which is actually ~80mph and will get you a pretty stiff Reckless Driving charge added to the speeding ticket.

I mean, it's been sitting there being that wrong for at least 7 months, it was already wrong when they put it out, and it's getting driven past by literally hundreds of thousands of people a day. How can it not be deliberate? :allears:

Hell, there's one on I95 southbound up by the DC Beltway that can't measure higher than ~18mph, by the last southbound HOV entrance. I don't trust any of them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I always thought those signs were a "see if you can get the high score" game :shrug:

Speedos aren't easy to calibrate on some cars, mine is pretty easy, just costs about 40 bucks in parts every time I have to do it. Reminds me, I need to check what speedo gear tooth count I have now, pretty sure it's a factory 34 tooth, I need either a 35 or a 36 tooth depending on which way I round it and how much air is in the tires.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know how much of a difference it makes to population-level driving habits, but I assume pretty much nobody else knows how far off their speedo is. I had mine calibrated by the RCMP ("Do you know how fast you were going?" "Uh... no. Too fast, I guess. Why don't you tell me?" *realizes GPS that said 131 km/h is entirely accurate, in-car speedo indicating something over 140 km/h is not*), but I already strongly suspected a correction factor of 10%.

Every car I've owned has been off by at least 10%. The one I have now is shockingly accurate - both radar and GPS say it's dead on.

I used to drive at least 5 over outside of residential, since I knew the speedo was off by at least that much. This uh, may have come close to biting me in the rear end recently.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

I always thought those signs were a "see if you can get the high score" game :shrug:

Speedos aren't easy to calibrate on some cars, mine is pretty easy, just costs about 40 bucks in parts every time I have to do it. Reminds me, I need to check what speedo gear tooth count I have now, pretty sure it's a factory 34 tooth, I need either a 35 or a 36 tooth depending on which way I round it and how much air is in the tires.

They put one of those overhead speed check thingies on the Hume Highway just south of Albury/Wodonga and didnt bother to set a max display on it, until photos of the thing showing 200, 230, 280kph started to appear online.

Now theres a sign on the side of it "MAX SPEED DISPLAYED 120KPH"

Being Victoria, Im honestly surprised there its not back to unlimited display and has a speed camera hanging off the back of it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah over here they wised up after they came out and just made them start to blink and say "slow down".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Speedos reading high is a common thing on bikes. My understanding was the DOT mandates that it read not more than 10% over reality and not under at all. Significant number of modern bikes read 10% over. Because bikers are unhinged delinquent speed freaks whose only desire is to violate civil ordinances and customs of decency, so if you tell them they're speeding, they'll be content and might commit fewer other crimes.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

A town I drive through a lot (Newtown CT) has a few of the little "Your Speed" things they like to put on telephone poles and move around every now and then. They never fail to put them as far away from an actual speed limit sign as possible. So all you have to go by is when they stop blinking. This wouldn’t be a problem but most of them that I've seen don't actually start blinking until you're doing 5-10mph over but at least they're on speed limit signs most of the time.

Ford Fiestas come from the factory with speedos that are slightly off. When I got tires for mine recently I went with common suggestion to go from 195/50R16 to 205/50R16 to correct this. Judging by GPS and your speed signs it is better.

My LTD is badly off since I replced the 2.75 open rear end with a 3.50 limited slip. So indicated 80 is more like 60mph.

SFH1989 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 21, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
My offices underground parking has those radar signs for speed. The limit is 5 mph, the security guards get sent out to sit behind a concrete column to write down plates of those who break the limit by a factor of 3: those that do get their parking privileges revoked for a month.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Every time I pass one of those radar speed signs (even walking - they put them up on campus sometimes) I wish I had a white board and a marker on me, to set up a High Score board.
Like this photo, that everyone has seen:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's hilarious.

Though anyone pulled over for doing 88 in a DeLorean, regardless of the posted limit, should automatically be given a free pass.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SFH1989 posted:

A town I drive through a lot (Newtown CT) has a few of the little "Your Speed" things they like to put on telephone poles and move around every now and then. They never fail to put them as far away from an actual speed limit sign as possible. So all you have to go by is when they stop blinking. This wouldn’t be a problem but most of them that I've seen don't actually start blinking until you're doing 5-10mph over but at least they're on speed limit signs most of the time.

If you're anywhere near the flagpole and assume it's a 25 MPH zone riddled with ticket-happy police who jump at the first echo of engine burble, you're probably not far off

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're anywhere near the flagpole and assume it's a 25 MPH zone riddled with ticket-happy police who jump at the first echo of engine burble, you're probably not far off

That's a given. I've seen plenty of stupid driving around the flagpole. Last time I was there, at the stop sign coming away from Sandy Hook waiting to cross 25, the person in front of me was trying to take a left. So they pulled away from the stop sign and stopped next to the flag pole , partially blocking lanes in both directions, with cars coming in both directions. Luckily people slowed down an squeezed by until they felt like it was a good time to finish their left turn.

Here's a good one I saw today. This is after she moved over a little when the second car pulling onto this street almost hit her.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Finnish highway police released 13 photos of car/truck loading done wrong

Well at least the driver made sure that the lid won't open during the move.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Like this one:

Happy coppers!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddammit I hate other drivers.

Coming to work today, two lanes of traffic, I needed to go left up ahead. So I placed myself next to a gap, matched speed, waited a couple of seconds, put on my blinker and started to move over after a couple of cycles. Like clockwork as soon as I started moving over, the gargantuan douchebag in the E46 "M3" behind me in the other lane tried to move up and block me off. It didn't work, so he got on his high beams, flicking them at me for a full 10 seconds to signal his displeasure with the great inconvenience that I had subjected him to.

gently caress him, there was plenty of space before he decided to act like an entitled jerkoff.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Speed Radar type devices measure the component of your velocity in a straight line normal to the measuring device. If you're coming straight at the device then your speed will be accurately measured, but usually you're driving at a bit of an angle, so your speed will be under reported slightly. Vectors and all that.

You can see this if you maintain the exact same velocity while coming towards a Your Speed box, it will often drop by a MPH or two before you pass, just due to your increasing angle to the box.

Edit: Component of your velocity (with a vector), not your speed (scalar).

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 22, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I measured that the M3's speedometer in the UK read high by 3%, so judging by this thread I'm a little surprised. 10% is quite a bit, do you guys think that mfrs do that to game CAFE regulations?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Germany has their own laws about speedometers that I'm assuming most German companies will just use for all of their vehicles. It's like 0.5% under to 6% over for indicated speed. I'm probably wrong about those exact numbers. My Jetta probably reads about 3% over.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

I measured that the M3's speedometer in the UK read high by 3%, so judging by this thread I'm a little surprised. 10% is quite a bit, do you guys think that mfrs do that to game CAFE regulations?

I think the ones that read 10% over a outliers.

Both of my bikes read maybe 2-3% over at most and the car reads about 5% over.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My BMW motorcycle's speedometer is about 7% optimistic but the odometer is correct. Judging by the other bikes in the (BMW MOA) club this is normal. :iiam:

Are there more strict regulations on odometers than speedometers?

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 22, 2013

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Every BMW car I've owned ('98 540, '93 850, '06 550) has indicated 3mph under actual speed. I adapted, but have a tendency to drive 3 mph fast in rental cars I rent while at work.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

ausgezeichnet posted:

Every BMW car I've owned ('98 540, '93 850, '06 550) has indicated 3mph under actual speed. I adapted, but have a tendency to drive 3 mph fast in rental cars I rent while at work.

Have you added larger wheels/tires to every car you've owned?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The UK is one of the places where the accuracy of the speedo is meant to be within certain limits (as per the contruction and use/type approval stuff, I don't think it's checked at the annual MOT). Mustn't under-read, and you're allowed to over-read by 10% + 6mph at normal road speeds (up to 70mph). The speedo's meant to be able to read up to the car's top speed.

I think commercial (tacho'd) stuff is required to be more accurate.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

That's a given. I've seen plenty of stupid driving around the flagpole. Last time I was there, at the stop sign coming away from Sandy Hook waiting to cross 25, the person in front of me was trying to take a left. So they pulled away from the stop sign and stopped next to the flag pole , partially blocking lanes in both directions, with cars coming in both directions. Luckily people slowed down an squeezed by until they felt like it was a good time to finish their left turn.

Here's a good one I saw today. This is after she moved over a little when the second car pulling onto this street almost hit her.

To be fair this entire thread could be ConnecticutDrivers.txt.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Opensourcepirate posted:

Both Audis that I own/owned were exactly 3 MPH over.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I beg all of the drivers around me to please just stop at the stop line. Not a car length or two behind it, not in the middle of the crosswalk. Please just stop at that line.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

razorscooter posted:

I beg all of the drivers around me to please just stop at the stop line. Not a car length or two behind it, not in the middle of the crosswalk. Please just stop at that line.

I feel your pain. This is a huge problem at a major intersection near where I live:

About 50% of the time when I take a left onto Essen from Perkins there will be some assfuck way past the line and it completely fucks up the ability of the left turn lane to actually turn. I've gotten to the point of rolling down my window and yelling at the guilty party while waving for them to back up when this happens. Sometimes they're attentive enough to know their fuckup, but usually they're on their phone or just stare at me blankly.

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 22, 2013

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

I feel your pain. This is a huge problem at a major intersection near where I live:

About 50% of the time when I take a left onto Essen from Perkins there will be some assfuck way past the line and it completely fucks up the ability of the left turn lane to actually turn. I've gotten to the point of rolling down my window and yelling at the guilty party while waving for them to back up when this happens. Sometimes they're attentive enough to know their fuckup, but usually they're on their phone or just stare at me blankly.

Be careful when you do this. The neanderthals who think it's alright to stop well beyond the stop line are also liable to think that you shouting at them is an affront to their masculinity and dominance. A perceived threat to their social status paired with a deficit of well-wired neurons can be a dangerous combination. Put that combination in charge of a vehicle and, well, that's how road rage incidents happen.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Horse Divorce posted:

Be careful when you do this. The neanderthals who think it's alright to stop well beyond the stop line are also liable to think that you shouting at them is an affront to their masculinity and dominance. A perceived threat to their social status paired with a deficit of well-wired neurons can be a dangerous combination. Put that combination in charge of a vehicle and, well, that's how road rage incidents happen.

I just had a thought... If I just plow into their car while they are blocking my turn lane will it be their fault?

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
No. This is in no way a good idea.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was helping my friend fix his girlfriend's sister's beater of a 90's E-Class Merc. After cutting the rat's nest of random wires leading to the improperly-installed aftermarket stereo (she was wondering why the battery would drain when the car was off :v:), I checked to make sure the car still started. The oil pressure gauge was pegged on max, so I assumed the gauge was broken. When I mentioned it to her, the response conversation went pretty much like this:

:) Hey, I fixed the dead battery issue. You don't have a stereo any more.
:j: That's fine
:) By the way, I think your oil pressure gauge is broken.
:j: No, it's probably right....
:crossarms: Wait... what? When's the last time you changed the oil?
:j: Uh... never, I guess.
:stare: And... how long have you had the car?
:j: 3 years?
:gonk:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Opensourcepirate posted:

Bone stock on all of them, though I did put 17's on the 850 eventually and had the same 3 mph discrepancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

I was helping my friend fix his girlfriend's sister's beater of a 90's E-Class Merc. After cutting the rat's nest of random wires leading to the improperly-installed aftermarket stereo (she was wondering why the battery would drain when the car was off :v:), I checked to make sure the car still started. The oil pressure gauge was pegged on max, so I assumed the gauge was broken. When I mentioned it to her, the response conversation went pretty much like this:

:) Hey, I fixed the dead battery issue. You don't have a stereo any more.
:j: That's fine
:) By the way, I think your oil pressure gauge is broken.
:j: No, it's probably right....
:crossarms: Wait... what? When's the last time you changed the oil?
:j: Uh... never, I guess.
:stare: And... how long have you had the car?
:j: 3 years?
:gonk:

It wasnt the stereo, it was the car screaming "KIILLLL MEEEEEEEEE"