Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Grondoth posted:

Sylvia seems to be destined to have the fate of every rival in every shounen romance: Become lovable and fun, and then tragically heartbroken.

Chapter 32: The most heartbreaking cosplay. May as well have dressed up as Yoko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Well, no reason to doubt whether Itou is going to get arrested for sex crimes in the future.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sunburnedcrow posted:

Well, no reason to doubt whether Itou is going to get arrested for sex crimes in the future.

It's weirdly gone from unpopular guys consoling each other to sexual deviancy and harassment of their only female friend. It's really out of place with the rest of the setting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Chapter 33

We finally got another timeslip but truth be told, Aoshima's kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Why you couldn't pay attention to Sylvia last chapter? :argh:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Oh man the couple last chapters. Im really loving this.

Though my favorite part so far has to be Singing The Blue Hearts' Mirai ha bokura no te no naka as a gently caress you for others for making fun of them at the culture festival.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So is this basically a less soul-crushingly depressing, gender-flipped Watamote?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So is this basically a less soul-crushingly depressing, gender-flipped Watamote?

I don't think they're alike.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Concerning newest chapter:

I was happy that the DX Brigade found their equivalents in creepiness and then they went and got even more creepy

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

punakone posted:

Concerning newest chapter:

I was happy that the DX Brigade found their equivalents in creepiness and then they went and got even more creepy

It was pretty fantastic, their depravity knows no bounds.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Chapter 34 for the lazy peeps

Speculation:Is it time for a new wife?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Tamagod Sushi posted:

I thought this was setup for the other DX members to not have horrifyingly bad futures, but the harem line works as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Chapter 35

This one was funny, the DX Brigade is still creepy as hell but at least they recovered their humor.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Chapter 36 certainly seems to be setting it up that way... Ai and Sylvia are already fantastic choices, why does he need a third one!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I offer a new loan word/idiom for the Japanese language: beer goggles.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FiftySeven posted:

Chapter 36 certainly seems to be setting it up that way... Ai and Sylvia are already fantastic choices, why does he need a third one!

Guess what's happening in the new chapter

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Love Triangle evolved into Harem! Should have pressed B to cancel, Aoshima.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Kind of sad this happened since the manga seemed to be heading straight for a conclusion, but I guess that's just life with serialized things.

I sure can't wait for the usual "everybody in the harem is more interesting than the character who actually wins" cliche.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BlitzBlast posted:

I sure can't wait for the usual "everybody in the harem is more interesting than the character who actually wins" cliche.
I was under the impression that this was already the case.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Paracelsus posted:

I was under the impression that this was already the case.

Yep (Chapter 38)

I'm really liking this new girl, is really cute :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yep (Chapter 38)

I'm really liking this new girl, is really cute :allears:

Yeah. Wagatsuma is your standard model, kinda dull, default love interest. Sylvia is always viewed from the outside and is rather taciturn, so she's something of an enigma. Ito, on the other hand, seems really fun and passionate. :3:

I don't see telling her about the time slips ending well for him.

:downs: So I've been hallucinating that you're my wife in the future
:what:
:downs: Actually this has been going on for a while now, only with two other girls that aren't you?
:geno:
:downs: This is totally real and not just me constructing elaborate fantasy lives with anyone that happens to look at me sideways, honest!
:stare:
:downs: Oh! But I'm in love with Wagatsuma so I have to preemptively break up with you now. Sorry!
:frogout:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I hope this goes full meta and Ito draws a manga based off his story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah. Wagatsuma is your standard model, kinda dull, default love interest. Sylvia is always viewed from the outside and is rather taciturn, so she's something of an enigma. Ito, on the other hand, seems really fun and passionate. :3:

Yeah, in only two chapters we know more about Ito that we know about Wagatsuma on the whole series. That's something that really bothers me, Aoshima only wants to be with Wagatsuma because was the first girl who showed up on his time-slips, no build up, no forgotten friend, nothing. Just because it was the first. :argh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, in only two chapters we know more about Ito that we know about Wagatsuma on the whole series. That's something that really bothers me, Aoshima only wants to be with Wagatsuma because was the first girl who showed up on his time-slips, no build up, no forgotten friend, nothing. Just because it was the first. :argh:

He is an accurate depiction of a stupid high school boy in that regard.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

chumbler posted:

He is an accurate depiction of a stupid high school boy in that regard.

I know.

Still stings when Sylvia and Ito are developed like really interesting and cute girls :smith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

"The first girl the MC meets who he didn't already know is the winner" is about as close to an ironclad Law of Anime as you can get. Exception: Childhood friends can still reach "first girl" status if the MC hasn't seen them in a long time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Paracelsus posted:

"The first girl the MC meets who he didn't already know is the winner" is about as close to an ironclad Law of Anime as you can get. Exception: Childhood friends can still reach "first girl" status if the MC hasn't seen them in a long time.

Tell me about it, I actually hated Ichigo 100% when the ending subverted those rules :ironicat:
In the end my problem is that we keep seeing more of the other girls while Wagatsuma keeps being static and bland. Usually an effort is made to validate that status of heroine, effort that's missing here.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tell me about it, I actually hated Ichigo 100% when the ending subverted those rules :ironicat:
In the end my problem is that we keep seeing more of the other girls while Wagatsuma keeps being static and bland. Usually an effort is made to validate that status of heroine, effort that's missing here.

Well they have to by definition not give us everything about Wagat Suma otherwise the manga would end. There was the swimming arc and bits of her personality revealed little by little, and it feels like flexible pacing so that when they do decide on a finale they can wrap up the story with her big reveal, i.e. "why her" and any other "why not other girl".

I don't think it's effort missing, it's just the flow of the story and your impatience.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This is the first non-seinen manga I've read and I vacillate between being completely disgusted* by it or laughing like a child.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'd like to think that Wagatsuma's utter banality is a commentary on other media that puts an archetypal perfect girl on a pedestal (something to be obtained, like a kingship or a magic artefact) and never gives her any characterisation, but really I think it's just another example of the trope. Anyway - I'm Team Sylvia.

*The DX Brigade are creeps. I think even if I was 15 again I wouldn't be able to genuinely relate to them. The main thing that keeps me reading is how thoroughly they're lampooned in every chapter.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New chapter

Aoshima, you rear end in a top hat :argh:

AnacondaHL posted:

Well they have to by definition not give us everything about Wagat Suma otherwise the manga would end. There was the swimming arc and bits of her personality revealed little by little, and it feels like flexible pacing so that when they do decide on a finale they can wrap up the story with her big reveal, i.e. "why her" and any other "why not other girl".

I don't think it's effort missing, it's just the flow of the story and your impatience.

You got a point there, and more than impatience is the fact that I found way more interesting the other girls (in just three chapters I'm more invested on Ito's wellbeing) than Wagatsuma and we all know that she's gonna be the winner on the end. It just doesn't feel fair :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm confused, suddenly Aoshima is getting called Chintao?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New chapter

Aoshima, you rear end in a top hat :argh:

You got a point there, and more than impatience is the fact that I found way more interesting the other girls (in just three chapters I'm more invested on Ito's wellbeing) than Wagatsuma and we all know that she's gonna be the winner on the end. It just doesn't feel fair :smith:

I dunno, it's not like not marrying the protagonist is a bad fate.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Chapter 40

Kind of an odd chapter focused on the Dx brigade and a possible new wife?

The Attack of Titan gag was fantastic tough :haw:

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, it's not like not marrying the protagonist is a bad fate.

It is when he marries the most boring and bland girl.

Look, I take too seriously this comedic manga okay? :smith:

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Anatharon posted:

I'm confused, suddenly Aoshima is getting called Chintao?

Are you reading the earlier/ special chapters? Aoshima's name in Kanji is read as Chintao in Chinese Mandarin, which some of those chapters were translated from :psyduck: I'm not quite sure why they didn't just look to see what the other scans were using but ehhh.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Chapter 40

Kind of an odd chapter focused on the Dx brigade and a possible new wife?

Chapter 40: Cause I'mma ride for my panties, die for my panties, puff lye with my bros til I'm high with my panties. (Dobashi just wants to be bros with you guys geez, be cool :( I seriously doubt they'll make Dobashi's older sister another future wife but we'll see!)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

In which Sylvia and her family keeps being awesome :allears:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
God drat, Sylvia's brother reveal had me in stitches.

Edit:Kenshiro is awesome, truly the manliest of all men.

sunburnedcrow fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 30, 2013

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It is when he marries the most boring and bland girl.

Look, I take too seriously this comedic manga okay? :smith:

I think you misinterpreted what I meant; in response to someone saying that it wasn't fair for Aoshima to not end up with the more interesting girls, I was pointing out that not ending up with Aoshima isn't exactly a bad thing and that they're probably better off with someone who isn't a total goon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So Crunchyroll picking it up has brought a whole bunch of new chapters, all basically reinforcing how Wagatsuma is the least interesting girl and Aoshima is bad at choices.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh god, the latest chapter. When did this manga go from kinda funny to hilarious. :allears:

http://i.imgur.com/dcNuJWd.png

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new chapter by the way :v:

This was a return to the greatness, such a great chapter :allears:

But now I'm sad because I don't have Crunchyroll manga on my country :smith:

Oh, and also I felt really bad for Sylvia :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
Grabbed one of the guest passes in the crunchyroll thread to read up on the manga but it won't load for me. I can't get my fix.

• Locked thread