Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

flavor posted:

reasonably-priced 4k displays

I'm really interested in how you'd define "reasonably-priced" for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm getting ready to buy a new iMac. I'm currently running a Hackintosh, manually shuffling crap between my SSD and my storage drive. How much slower would a fusion drive be than what I'm used to? Pretty much the only things I keep on my storage drive is my Time Machine backups and my Steam library (both Windows and Mac games).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

About Mac Hardware and accessories: I kinda hope they're going to release some kind of reasonably-priced 4k displays to replace the Thunderbolt Display, even if it's just 24 inches or something. Need something to show off that new Mac Pro with :cheeky:.
I'm hoping for something like this:

It'd them bundle a full length keyboard with the Mac Pro without making an excessively large box :v: (and I just want a good full arrow+numpad peripheral for my own occasional number entry use)

wdarkk posted:

Yeah I'm not sure any reasonably priced 4K displays are coming in the near future, current ones are $3500ish last I checked. Relative to that something like $2000 would be a steal. Well there's a 36" or so for $700 I think by some random company but it's limited to 30hz (granted a lot are limited to 30hz if it doesn't have the right inputs or computer doesn't have the right outputs).

Sinestro posted:

I'm getting ready to buy a new iMac. I'm currently running a Hackintosh, manually shuffling crap between my SSD and my storage drive. How much slower would a fusion drive be than what I'm used to? Pretty much the only things I keep on my storage drive is my Time Machine backups and my Steam library (both Windows and Mac games).
Depends, but it's pretty good: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6679/a-month-with-apples-fusion-drive
The issue is that Windows would go on the platter drive if you dual boot, I'm not sure if there's a workaround for that since I haven't messed with it myself.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I doubt there will be 4k Thunderbolt Displays until there are Retina iMacs, and since they already did their iMac update this year, I definitely don't think we'll see those for another year or more.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

wdarkk posted:

japtor posted:

Yeah I'm not sure any reasonably priced 4K displays are coming in the near future, current ones are $3500ish last I checked. Relative to that something like $2000 would be a steal. Well there's a 36" or so for $700 I think by some random company but it's limited to 30hz (granted a lot are limited to 30hz if it doesn't have the right inputs or computer doesn't have the right outputs).

It wouldn't be the first time a company like Apple would be democratizing something, and prices are in motion all the time. Plus the current ones are more like 30 inch and larger. While "reasonable" is a subjective term, I wouldn't call a display that costs as much or more than a beefy workstation reasonably priced. I'd say about half of the cost of the workstation if it's new tech (so ~$2000) and up to a third/quarter if it's established tech.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

carry on then posted:

I doubt there will be 4k Thunderbolt Displays until there are Retina iMacs, and since they already did their iMac update this year, I definitely don't think we'll see those for another year or more.

I dunno, the display seems to be the one major product in Apple's stable that seemingly doesn't adhere to any reasonable upgrade cycle, by Apple's standards or anyone else's.

I mean- it still hasn't been even silently updated to MagSafe 2, something that logically should have happened sometime around the launch of the 2012 notebooks. And let's not forget that they still haven't fixed the annoying height difference between it and the 27" iMac, making it kind of a bitch to use as a second display without putting a book or something underneath it. For a company as notoriously aesthetics-obsessed as Apple, it's weirdly out of character.

Oh yeah, and it's still got fat sides, like the pre-2012 iMac. That alone is kind of inexplicable.
:goonsay:

But seriously, I wouldn't use the iMac updates as any reasonable barometer for a new Tbolt display.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 21, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Plus they're trying to sell Thunderbolt 2 as a worthwhile feature, so it would make sense to have at least one product in their lineup that uses it.

It would also look good if they'd be able to say that the Mac Pro is priced $1999 and up and for another $1999 you can add a 4k display. This is all speculation and wishful thinking of course, but not entirely impossible. I remember all the speculations of how the iPad was going to be way more expensive than it ended up being.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just found out about the MBA SSD issue last night when my computer froze up; I tried to start it but got the flashing question mark folder. I wasn't able to run the firmware update, as my computer could not find a hard drive. I'm assuming this makes me eligible? I have an appointment booked at the fruit stand on Tuesday.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Yarbald posted:

I just found out about the MBA SSD issue last night when my computer froze up; I tried to start it but got the flashing question mark folder. I wasn't able to run the firmware update, as my computer could not find a hard drive. I'm assuming this makes me eligible? I have an appointment booked at the fruit stand on Tuesday.

Yeah that's how it went down for me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I am trying to decide between either the 13" MBA or the 13" rMBP after the Haswell refresh. While I love the portability of the MBA, I love the display on the rMBP. Hopefully the Haswell upgrade to the rMBP brings along some other changes that pushes me towards it.

That and I should be able to afford whatever I want after working massive OT this week .. 900 servers down today due to massive SAN failure :suicide:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

porkface posted:

Yeah that's how it went down for me.

Same here. Question mark folder and no disc found.

At least you know you're covered for a replacement Yarbald.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am trying to decide between either the 13" MBA or the 13" rMBP after the Haswell refresh. While I love the portability of the MBA, I love the display on the rMBP. Hopefully the Haswell upgrade to the rMBP brings along some other changes that pushes me towards it.

That and I should be able to afford whatever I want after working massive OT this week .. 900 servers down today due to massive SAN failure :suicide:

If the rMBP is announced this week and has a twelve hour battery, I am buying and will be saying goodbye to my 2012 MBA.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

If the rMBP is announced this week and has a twelve hour battery, I am buying and will be saying goodbye to my 2012 MBA.

12 hrs? Sitting idle with the screen brightness one notch from off. Running nothing.

I love the OMG 12 HR ratings from computer manufacturers. I know, they merely serve as an indicator as to real-world usage (chop it down ~40% if you are actually using your computer) but the numbers they put out there are pretty funny.

My new Haswell 11 MBA says 9 hrs. I was using it to browse the web at ~70% brightness last night and it was flat after 4 hours.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

hotsauce posted:

My new Haswell 11 MBA says 9 hrs. I was using it to browse the web at ~70% brightness last night and it was flat after 4 hours.

Agreed, but as long as it's wrong by the same factor as previous ratings, it's all okay by me. My rule of thumb has always been that I get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the maximum with any kind of meaningful usage and 1/6th with gaming.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hotsauce posted:

12 hrs? Sitting idle with the screen brightness one notch from off. Running nothing.

I love the OMG 12 HR ratings from computer manufacturers. I know, they merely serve as an indicator as to real-world usage (chop it down ~40% if you are actually using your computer) but the numbers they put out there are pretty funny.

Were you using flash or something? My old-rear end 2010 MBP with 700++ cycles on it lasts longer than that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

As other people have pointed out the 13" rMBP has actually smaller dimensions than the MBA.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

As other people have pointed out the 13" rMBP has actually smaller dimensions than the MBA.

Well then .. I think I know the path I must take.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had a 13" rMBP for work, and wasn't really happy with it. To be honest, the only real benefit was the second MDP and more RAM than the MBA could handle, but the Haswell MBA's fixed that. The rMBP is surprisingly heavy to me when I was used to an MBA. YMMV.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Anandtech got near 9 hours :v:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7180/apple-macbook-air-11-2013-review/2

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

hotsauce posted:

You sure you weren't also downloading the entire internet and calculating ever-more digits of Pi? I get 9-10 hours out of the 2013 11in MBA. I have the i5, not i7.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Was using some flash. Was also the first charge cycle on a new machine. Sorry everyone.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rufius posted:

You sure you weren't also downloading the entire internet and calculating ever-more digits of Pi? I get 9-10 hours out of the 2013 11in MBA. I have the i5, not i7.

Web browsing can be a light load, but it can also be very heavy. It'll consume lots of CPU if you open a shitload of windows on sites that use javascript or flash. Or even just forums full of animated GIF avatars and smileys. :siren: :pervert: :siren: SA gas chamber threads are especially bad, that CSS background animation is a killer. I actually wrote a Safari extension to disable that animation just because it makes my MBA's fan spin up to full throttle.

I also use ClickToPlugin to keep Flash CPU use under control, but there are still sites which consume lots of CPU continuously as long as the page is open.

The Mavericks version of Safari helps a lot with this because it halts most code execution for windows or tabs which are completely obscured from view.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

BobHoward posted:

The Mavericks version of Safari helps a lot with this because it halts most code execution for windows or tabs which are completely obscured from view.

This is one of those ideas that is so glaringly obvious that I've been wondering for years why this hasn't been standard since tabbed browsers appeared in 2003 or so. Particularly on laptops.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

flavor posted:

This is one of those ideas that is so glaringly obvious that I've been wondering for years why this hasn't been standard since tabbed browsers appeared in 2003 or so. Particularly on laptops.

Because the very rapid processor power state changes that enable the actually savings from such techniques didn't only come around till recently.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Was using some flash. Was also the first charge cycle on a new machine. Sorry everyone.

Well, you're right in that battery life depends a lot on the particular usage patterns. I was dubious about the 12 hour claims at first, but for me the 13" stock model has lived up to the hype. First Macbook I've had that feels like it's worth the price.

eames
May 9, 2009

I remember that lots of rMBP owners had massive image retention/ghosting issues with the displays, is that a thing of the past or still something to consider when ordering the new Haswell rMBP tomorrow?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

eames posted:

I remember that lots of rMBP owners had massive image retention/ghosting issues with the displays, is that a thing of the past or still something to consider when ordering the new Haswell rMBP tomorrow?

The Haswell GPU is much better than the Ivy Bridge one, so it stands to reason it might reduce artifacts on the display.

Edit: Mavericks also significantly improves battery life as a whole. I'm sitting at 89% on my i5 Haswell MBA and it's telling me a hair under 11 hours left.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 21, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Isn't mavericks only adding 45-60 minutes?

eames
May 9, 2009

mayodreams posted:

The Haswell GPU is much better than the Ivy Bridge one, so it stands to reason it might reduce artifacts on the display.

Yes, I wasn’t talking about framerate issues though.

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bwh_GnwBFA&t=48s

This is a display panel issue, it has nothing to do with the GPU.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I'm getting psyched up to get an rMBP when they refresh, but the storage available on these really bugs me...

How do people live with a 128gb drive? Do you lug a thunderbolt drive around at all times? Confine all your music to iCloud? Am I exaggerating this issue? :ohdear:

eames
May 9, 2009

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I'm getting psyched up to get an rMBP when they refresh, but the storage available on these really bugs me...

How do people live with a 128gb drive? Do you lug a thunderbolt drive around at all times? Confine all your music to iCloud? Am I exaggerating this issue? :ohdear:

128GB would be too small for me personally. I use a 256GB MBA with a WD USB 3.0 drive and it is really, really quick.

I imagine a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt enclosure with a desktop SSD in it would feel as fast as the built in SSD for most everyday tasks. The only really annoying thing about my WD USB 3.0 drive is that it slows down my 2.4 Ghz 802.11n transfer rates significantly. (down to 30% in my case) A thunderbolt enclosure or 5Ghz WiFi would solve that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

By some miracle of jesus they might upgraded the standard drive on the Pro to 256GB

Otherwise, my stuff fits on a 128GB. I lived with 64GB Airs before. I keep a 1TB 2.5" USB 3.0 HD for storing all by big poo poo.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

eames posted:

This is a display panel issue, it has nothing to do with the GPU.

Right. It's still very early and my coffee has yet to take effect.

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't mavericks only adding 45-60 minutes?

I haven't done any real scientific testing, but my gf's C2D 11" MBA is getting WAY better battery life than on ML, and my MBA is getting better, but not as noticeable.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I've spent the last year or so on a 64GB SSD with 250GB HDD in an optibay, so I'm quite keen on not having to fight OS X for disk space on a daily basis. Fingers crossed for that spec bump then! :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mayodreams posted:

\I haven't done any real scientific testing, but my gf's C2D 11" MBA is getting WAY better battery life than on ML, and my MBA is getting better, but not as noticeable.

I haven't really been running mine enough to notice yet.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I'm probably going to buy a 128 tomorrow because I keep all my music and big files on my desktop and nas.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Because the very rapid processor power state changes that enable the actually savings from such techniques didn't only come around till recently.

The state changes that enable a machine to actually save from only running the browser's foreground tab thread/process instead of it and the other 38 background ones only came around recently, got it. Previous CPUs and schedulers would have been completely unable to block tasks or reduce their priority, got it.

You either didn't understand what I was talking about, are otherwise completely wrong, or I'm missing something.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Weighing in here. I got the 128GB rMBP in January. After using an older MBP with a 128GB SSD upgrade for about two years, it wasn't much to adapt to, but as time went on I found myself actively managing storage.

Once I'd get to about 20GB free space I'd start looking at what I can delete and what's not needed. OSX would eat up about 2 - 7GB for paging (verified by the fact that there was always a bunch more free space after a reboot). It was just annoying.

I didn't have games or any big software packages. Just Photoshop, MS Office, and a couple of smaller apps for random stuff. My iTunes library is about 20GB, and my iPhoto library is about another 20GB.

Last month I bought myself an OWC 240GB upgrade kit, and I honestly couldn't be happier. Aside from the speed boost (it's a faster drive) it's just really great not having to micromanage my storage anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

Last month I bought myself an OWC 240GB upgrade kit, and I honestly couldn't be happier. Aside from the speed boost (it's a faster drive) it's just really great not having to micromanage my storage anymore.

I bought a 256GB OEM drive from a user with a 15" rMBP that upgraded to 512GB. I never ended up going over 100GB but it was nice to have the option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I live with these by getting the 512gig BTO option. 256 would also work if I compromised on some software I'd like to have on it, but am not really required to run. You're making it sound like more than 128 doesn't exist.

Hello Spaceman posted:

actively managing storage.

That's the thing, not having to fiddle with it every day.