Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Woke up this morning to a dead battery in my Fiesta ST. :( Waiting for my wife to get home at lunchtime so I can get it a jump. Thank goodness I can work from home in my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

echobucket posted:

Woke up this morning to a dead battery in my Fiesta ST. :( Waiting for my wife to get home at lunchtime so I can get it a jump. Thank goodness I can work from home in my job.

You can't push start it?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Just install a trap door in the floor panel and Flintstones that bitch until it starts.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

bobfather posted:

You can't push start it?

It's got the fancy push button keyless start. So not sure if that would work.

Anyway. I'm at the dealership now. On the way down here I got a tire pressure monitor fault as well.

Joy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

echobucket posted:

Anyway. I'm at the dealership now. On the way down here I got a tire pressure monitor fault as well.

Typical Ford behaviour would call for your ball joints, alternator and engine mounts to die next. After that you'll be fine.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

8ender posted:

Typical Ford behaviour would call for your ball joints, alternator and engine mounts to die next. After that you'll be fine.

Ha. I hope this turns out to be a joke.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Got my Fiesta back from the dealership. They tested the battery on the small tester and the "BIG" tester and tested the alternator. (or so they said). They didn't find any problems. It also started after sitting all night, and it started when I picked it up after sitting all day, and it started this morning. So...

:shrug:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
A couple of news items:

- If you own a Turbo Cooper S, there is a recall right now to add a heat shield to protect the oil lines coming from the turbo. Looks like they started the campaign a couple weeks ago but it hasn't really been publicized. I only found out because my dealer sent me an email. The part looks like this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11657634747/ES2596861/

- Dyno numbers for the Fiesta ST are looking pretty good: 184 hp/221 lb ft at the wheels. They also tested a Focus ST on the same dyno, it is making 236 hp/285 lb ft at the wheels. For comparison, BMW's 2.0 turbo is putting down 233/249 on that same machine.

On that note, does anybody have a Fiesta or Focus ST without the Recaro seats? I really like them but 2k is a pretty significant amount of money. Right now, a Focus ST1 is $21,970 on x-plan including rebates and that's awfully tempting.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

TheGoatTrick posted:

A couple of news items:

- If you own a Turbo Cooper S, there is a recall right now to add a heat shield to protect the oil lines coming from the turbo. Looks like they started the campaign a couple weeks ago but it hasn't really been publicized. I only found out because my dealer sent me an email. The part looks like this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11657634747/ES2596861/

- Dyno numbers for the Fiesta ST are looking pretty good: 184 hp/221 lb ft at the wheels. They also tested a Focus ST on the same dyno, it is making 236 hp/285 lb ft at the wheels. For comparison, BMW's 2.0 turbo is putting down 233/249 on that same machine.

On that note, does anybody have a Fiesta or Focus ST without the Recaro seats? I really like them but 2k is a pretty significant amount of money. Right now, a Focus ST1 is $21,970 on x-plan including rebates and that's awfully tempting.

I don't own one but I've been on quite a few road trips (5+ hour) in my friends and found them pretty comfortable even after extended periods of time. I'm average build but pretty tall (6'4) and have plenty of room in both the drivers and passenger seat. I haven't sat in the Recaros to compare but I don't know if they would be good enough to justify the huge price difference. Both the Focus/Fiesta ST are on my short list for a new car next year and I'm contemplating the same decision as you.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Recaros are great in the taking corners at 40mph without sliding around aspect, but their main strength is in ensuring that your farts will be super loud.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Recaros are awesome, but not 10% increase to the cost of the car awesome.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Eh. Buy a used ST3 and get 20% off MSRP!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The recaros are great on the ST3 but if money is tight or whatever they're not worth it. I was coming down from a more expensive car so it was basically house money to me and I love them. MFT blows though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MFT blows though.

Finally found a place with the rear motor mount parts in stock. Had it done. Driving feel is so much better now.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laranzu posted:

Finally found a place with the rear motor mount parts in stock. Had it done. Driving feel is so much better now.

Haven't gotten around to this yet :(

Had a very bizarre glitch show up: when I threw my FSWerks tune on the car last week, my external thermometer bugged out and now reads 10-15 degrees warmer than it is outside.

either that or the sensor failed just when I tweaked the ECU.

Driving with the tune is a little different: it's pretty finicky about spooling the turbo up unless you very deliberately call for it by going nuts with the throttle in 1st/2nd gear. However when it does it's like the jolly green giant's fist is smooshing you into your seat. Pretty fun to drive. MPG is slightly better with both daily city and highway driving, as others have mentioned, but not significantly.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 1, 2013

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Found a Fiesta ST without the Recaro seats. I thought it was fine given the price difference. Dealer offered me the car for under $20k. Told him I'd sleep on it since I'm not sure I'm ready to give up one of my other cars yet and I'd have to put some thought into juggling three cars by myself.

That is a pretty insane deal though, right? Even if you don't count the 1k factory rebate, it's still like 1k under invoice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know how the Fiesta ST is selling, but my local Ford dealer has way too many Focus ST's on the lot. They're doing 3K off the 2014's or 4K off the leftover 2013's. Now my kids aren't rear facing anymore I've thought about trading in my Fusion Sport for a base Focus ST, but my wife hates the car and can't drive stick. Plus I still really like my Fusion. 20K +TTL for a base ST though is a steal.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

skipdogg posted:

I don't know how the Fiesta ST is selling, but my local Ford dealer has way too many Focus ST's on the lot. They're doing 3K off the 2014's or 4K off the leftover 2013's. Now my kids aren't rear facing anymore I've thought about trading in my Fusion Sport for a base Focus ST, but my wife hates the car and can't drive stick. Plus I still really like my Fusion. 20K +TTL for a base ST though is a steal.

loving right that is, its a lot of car for that much money.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I've had the exact opposite problem with the dealers around me. There are 3 dealers within about 30 minutes from me and every one seems to only stock a handful of Focus ST's at a time. The ones they have are always loaded high end trims advertised at around 28k. I'm wanting to wait until later next year before finally putting the money down on a new car but if a dealer offered me a Fiesta ST at 20k I don't think I could turn it down. That's pretty crazy considering they are so new to dealers.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I put my winter wheels/tires on yesterday. Now my car is a sad soft couch :( Going from 235/35 19 to a 195/65/15 suuuuuuuuuuuucks. But I didn't want to take any chances with the all seasons after having a few really sketchy drives home last season. It's also supposed to be a really lovely winter this year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Speaking of, anyone know offhand what will fit on the ST for minimum wheel diameter?

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

16's will fit from what i've seen,not sure about 15's. I just put some blizzak lm-32's on my stock wheels since I plan on buying a second set of wheels in the spring.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I put 225/40/18 Blizzak LM-60s on the stock rims and it still feels so sad compared to the summers.

99.9% sure 15's will have issues with clearance. Most 16's will work, but some are pretty close. 16 inch steelies seem to be the going thing.
Your ST supplement manual has a bunch of tire/wheel sizes in it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

So I put my winter wheels/tires on yesterday. Now my car is a sad soft couch :( Going from 235/35 19 to a 195/65/15 suuuuuuuuuuuucks. But I didn't want to take any chances with the all seasons after having a few really sketchy drives home last season. It's also supposed to be a really lovely winter this year.

I live in Arkansas and we have maybe a week of bad weather each year (sometimes less) so I'm going to just hitch rides with my wife to work and stuff if the bad weather comes. That short of a bought of bad weather isn't really worth buying another set of tires.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Ran into an annoying issue with my ST - I can't put more than 40 cents of gas in the car without it constantly clicking on me and shutting off dispensing. You can hear gas gurgling in the neck so there must be some kind of evacuation issue...or spiders

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sepist posted:

Ran into an annoying issue with my ST - I can't put more than 40 cents of gas in the car without it constantly clicking on me and shutting off dispensing. You can hear gas gurgling in the neck so there must be some kind of evacuation issue...or spiders

Spiders.

Filing neck issues are really annoying. Hopefully your dealer doesn't suck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sepist posted:

I had this issue with one specific style of gas pump, so just in case you always go the same place or whatever I'd check on that first.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Focus ST buyers average $127k per anum.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Proud to be dragging that average way down.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What's the average tire life on the stock tires on the ST? I know next to nothing about tires. What should I be expecting out of them? And are there better tires to replace them with? I live in Florida now and I'm gonna be moving to south Texas here soon so I don't think winter tires are a concern.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laranzu posted:

Proud to be dragging that average way down.

Seriously, yeesh. That's... The reason I bought a 25k car.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Even after reading the analysis in this piece, I can't make sense of this at all. Is there something I'm missing as a non-american?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

sadnessboner posted:

Even after reading the analysis in this piece, I can't make sense of this at all. Is there something I'm missing as a non-american?

People who buy the ST make a poo poo-ton of money.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yep, I'm sure if I didn't buy the ST that average would be a lot higher.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Spiders.

Filing neck issues are really annoying. Hopefully your dealer doesn't suck.

Kill it with fire!

Wait... probably, aww heck gas tanks these days are safeties built in right?

Just light it up.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had this issue with one specific style of gas pump, so just in case you always go the same place or whatever I'd check on that first.

I went all over the place as I had read the ones with the expanded nozzle end could have issues, but nope, happens everywhere.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Where would they be getting these numbers? Dealer-run credit reports? Self-survey? Also:

quote:

That’s also $20,000 more in annual income than the average buyer over the entire Ford brand average.

The average Ford buyer makes 100k+ annually? New car buyers would theoretically be income biased over the general population but this number still seems fishy - are they counting two-income families as one buyer?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Interesting, I'd love to see the numbers for things such as MB, Audi, BMW.

Around these parts its a split

40% Successful business dude.

40% Early 20's something who knows not the value of money

20% Student from mainland

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowdens Secret posted:

Where would they be getting these numbers? Dealer-run credit reports? Self-survey? Also:

The average Ford buyer makes 100k+ annually? New car buyers would theoretically be income biased over the general population but this number still seems fishy - are they counting two-income families as one buyer?

They just sell a lot of diesel F350s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Stew Man Chew posted:

Haven't gotten around to this yet :(

Had a very bizarre glitch show up: when I threw my FSWerks tune on the car last week, my external thermometer bugged out and now reads 10-15 degrees warmer than it is outside.

either that or the sensor failed just when I tweaked the ECU.

Not sure how late model Ford ECUs think but most of those thermometers work with what the IAT is reporting so if the tune compensates that value for one reason or another, it'll throw the thermometer off.