Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I got offered a CFI job from my number one pick yesterday! Awesome airport, awesome office, cuts 30 minutes from my commute, and they have a great fleet. I'm stoked.

Before I get the job officially, however, I have to fly with the owner in a g1000 da40. He knows I don't have experience with either and he said he wasn't expecting perfection, he just wants to make sure I can fly it and go from there.

I really want this job and I don't want to embarrass myself. Anyone got experience in a glass cockpit da40 that can throw me some tips? Most of my single time is in a c182 or c172 with a g430.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

So I got offered a CFI job from my number one pick yesterday! Awesome airport, awesome office, cuts 30 minutes from my commute, and they have a great fleet. I'm stoked.

Before I get the job officially, however, I have to fly with the owner in a g1000 da40. He knows I don't have experience with either and he said he wasn't expecting perfection, he just wants to make sure I can fly it and go from there.

I really want this job and I don't want to embarrass myself. Anyone got experience in a glass cockpit da40 that can throw me some tips? Most of my single time is in a c182 or c172 with a g430.

Don't even sweat it, the glass cockpit and DA40 combination is like playing Pilotwings. Just go up and enjoy it.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³

invision posted:

Crossposting from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

So, I decided to go to flight school starting in January. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding if I want fixed wing or rotary though. Realistically, I want both, but I don't have that kind of money. I know we had a goon somewhere that was doing helo training, if you're him, PM me or something.

Not mil, I'm doing it through the local college (and hillsboro aviation if that means anything)

Granted, I'm not looking at this completely for a ~career~, but it would be nice to know that if something happens with me firefighting that I'd have something to kind of fall back on. I guess a "job market report" on helos vs fixed wing is really what I'm looking for. The people at the school swear up and down its possible to transition to a turbine job after being a CFII for a year or two, but I've also heard the exact opposite of that.

Really I just want to fly for enjoyment, but if I could get a job doing it, that's even better.

(using my GI bill for this.)
(pretty sure I can't do fixed wing then add on rotor using my GI bill either)

I can answer your questions about helicopter training. At the school I work at (also where I learned to fly helicopters) most instructors go to either the Grand Canyon, Alaska, or the Gulf of Mexico to fly turbine helicopters after they reach 1,000 hours. It takes about a year and a half working as a CFI to reach that hour goal. Working as a CFI pays very well considering it'll probably be your first job, but everything pays better after it (unless you work for a really small tour company).

You could always get a job firefighting in a helicopter. Skycrane, Chinook, Huey, Astar, KMax, etc. Lots of cool helicopters to choose from.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Question for you ATC guys: If a controller has a loss of separation is it normal for a supervisor or another controller to come in and relieve them immediately or do they they keep controlling until they're done with their normal shift?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CraZy GrinGo posted:

I can answer your questions about helicopter training. At the school I work at (also where I learned to fly helicopters) most instructors go to either the Grand Canyon, Alaska, or the Gulf of Mexico to fly turbine helicopters after they reach 1,000 hours. It takes about a year and a half working as a CFI to reach that hour goal. Working as a CFI pays very well considering it'll probably be your first job, but everything pays better after it (unless you work for a really small tour company).

You could always get a job firefighting in a helicopter. Skycrane, Chinook, Huey, Astar, KMax, etc. Lots of cool helicopters to choose from.

How easy is it to get jobs after the 1,000 hour mark?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Question for you ATC guys: If a controller has a loss of separation is it normal for a supervisor or another controller to come in and relieve them immediately or do they they keep controlling until they're done with their normal shift?

It depends on how the error is noticed and other factors, but a controller is no longer required to be relieved immediately following a known error. Used to be mandatory, now it's not. If it was a serious loss that shook up the controller then that would be a good reason to get them out immediately. But many errors are small breaches of procedure/minima that aren't dangerous to aircraft and wouldn't require such embarrassing reactions.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Rolo posted:

The DA40 is a bit light on control feel compared to the 172/182. Don't overcontrol it in the flare eg. in crosswind conditions is my recommendation (but it's not a big deal or anything). G1000, don't even worry about it.

Also, expect a sore back/rear end after more than an hour in it.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³

DNova posted:

How easy is it to get jobs after the 1,000 hour mark?

It helps a lot if you work for a big flight school that has lots of good relationships with other companies, then it's as easy as having your boss put in a good word for you. I don't know any flight instructor at my school that was unable to get a different job after 1,000 hours if they wanted it. It's hard to keep people as flight instructors after 1,000 hours because the stress and danger levels go down a lot when you get out of instructing. I'm only at 600+ hours so I haven't been looking yet.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CraZy GrinGo posted:

It helps a lot if you work for a big flight school that has lots of good relationships with other companies, then it's as easy as having your boss put in a good word for you. I don't know any flight instructor at my school that was unable to get a different job after 1,000 hours if they wanted it. It's hard to keep people as flight instructors after 1,000 hours because the stress and danger levels go down a lot when you get out of instructing. I'm only at 600+ hours so I haven't been looking yet.

Feel free to not answer (or PM) this but would you mind sharing how much money you make now as a CFI?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I made a salary of 27,000 a year working 50 hours a week instructing chinese dudes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

brendanwor posted:

Also, expect a sore back/rear end after more than an hour in it.

Thousand times this for the DA20.

Thank god my college also has a massage therapist program, because it means I can go and volunteer and get a free theraputic back massage.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³

DNova posted:

Feel free to not answer (or PM) this but would you mind sharing how much money you make now as a CFI?

Currently making $21 an hour instructing which includes flights, 1 on 1 ground sessions, and pre and post flight briefings. I also teach instrument class, but I get paid every 2 weeks by the college for that. I work an average of 40 to 45 hours a week, though more in the Summer time.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
The state of CFIing in this country makes me sad. You ought to receive combat pay. That's mostly a joke, although I do know a few dead CFIs. :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for the Diamond advice guys. Had the interview flight, it went very well, and I got the job!

My first flying gig and I couldn't be happier :cheers:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

How's your butt?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I`d die shortly thereafter when he strangles me cause I won`t stop making wookiee noises.

"GET OFF MY HELO"

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

KodiakRS posted:

Going off what Ferret already said. I've been doing this for a decade and some change now and not once have I seen someone removed from position when they have had a separation loss (trainees not counted). I have HEARD of it happening in the cases where it scared the controller witless but never seen it happen myself. Hell, I heard a story about a guy who unplugged himself, hauled butt outside, and promptly vomited due to how close he came to killing people with an error.

Why the question?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DNova posted:

How's your butt?

Not too bad, I was pretty anxious so that probably helped clench things up. We'll see after I get used to the plane I guess.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Why the question?

Was involved in an even that *might* be counted as a loss of separation. It wasn't our fault, and it wasn't the controllers fault, but they sounded a little shaken up afterwards. Don't know if that was just their normal voice or if it got their heart rate up a bit.

Coincidentally 24 hours later on the exact same arrival about 10NM earlier we almost had another loss of separation with traffic that was hanging out in an arrival corridor just outside class B without talking to ATC. Which brings up a point: Just because you CAN be somewhere without talking to anyone doesn't mean you shouldn't be talking to them anyway.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Question for the guys flying oceanic routes, how far can you get without an oceanic clearance?

I had a flight from South America to Europe the other night and he asked for his oceanic clearance and he didn't get it until he was like halfway to Europe around 40W.

My understanding is that the clearance is required for the NAT tracks, so why did the flight from South America, not on the tracks, require the oceanic and then not get it until half way across the ocean?

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
This is my tracker. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My tracker is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. This tracker is amazing, just like I am amazing.
In Canada a controller who has a sep loss or OI must be relieved as soon as possible, usually within a few minutes. A quick investigation is done (i.e. playback the radar and/or radio tapes) and if it's obvious the controller wasn't at fault then they can go back to work. Otherwise the controller fills out some paperwork and goes home for the day. As you can imagine this results in some joking around about not having sep losses near the end of your shift, especially when someone's running a tight one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The DA40 sucks if you're short. I'm 5'4" and had to have a cushion made to push me far enough forward to where I could fly the plane comfortably. And do you know how hard it is to find such a cushion? :lol:

Fortunately, there was a guy at a medical supply store in my town who offered up a free, extra piece of spongy cushion, which I had a cheap cover put on and away I went.

KodiakRS posted:

Coincidentally 24 hours later on the exact same arrival about 10NM earlier we almost had another loss of separation with traffic that was hanging out in an arrival corridor just outside class B without talking to ATC. Which brings up a point: Just because you CAN be somewhere without talking to anyone doesn't mean you shouldn't be talking to them anyway.

Which is why I'm always on with approach while doing cross-country flying, even through Class E. Reassuring to have another set of eyes in case I miss something which could result in something stupid happening, even if the only time I hear from them is on a handoff.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

The DA40 sucks if you're short. I'm 5'4" and had to have a cushion made to push me far enough forward to where I could fly the plane comfortably. And do you know how hard it is to find such a cushion? :lol:

Fortunately, there was a guy at a medical supply store in my town who offered up a free, extra piece of spongy cushion, which I had a cheap cover put on and away I went.

What? I've never flown a Diamond anything but I'm short enough that I need a cushion at my back to get full rudder authority without sliding down the seat in a Cessna 172. I just use a thick padded chair cushion I stole from my own kitchen. It was probably like $5 at Target or whatever.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've seen other people volunteer themselves as the advice guy for different aspects of aviation in this thread, so if anybody wants to know about getting an aviation degree online, ask away. I've been doing ERAU-Worldwide for a few years now (Bachelor's, Masters) and love it. If you've ever wanted to grill a steak and eat it complete with your choice of beverage while attending class, it may be up your alley.

DNova posted:

What? I've never flown a Diamond anything but I'm short enough that I need a cushion at my back to get full rudder authority without sliding down the seat in a Cessna 172. I just use a thick padded chair cushion I stole from my own kitchen. It was probably like $5 at Target or whatever.

I've done most of my recent flying in a 172SP and have to borrow the cushion which hangs in the instructor room and is up for grabs to go build time. That one doubles as a flotation device, complete with the "put your arms through the straps and hug the cushion to your chest" feature.

In the case of the Diamond, which was at another FBO, I needed something thicker than the aforementioned one and wanted something I could just leave in the car. Mine ended up at least 3-4" thick. I never thought to pillage my own kitchen. :downs:

e- I probably should explain that I needed something that would not only push me toward the panel and pedals, but also forward up the perma-reclined seat.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

Was involved in an even that *might* be counted as a loss of separation. It wasn't our fault, and it wasn't the controllers fault, but they sounded a little shaken up afterwards. Don't know if that was just their normal voice or if it got their heart rate up a bit.

I heard a controller bitch a weekend flier out for this exact reason yesterday, he's like, "When you land I suggest you review your AIM about skirting class B boundaries." I was amused.

CBJSprague, I'm also in the ERAU worldwide program, I think I'm 5 classes or so from graduating. I don't recommend it but I don't know of any other options really, the UVU stuff seems pretty hokey too. Key complaint: Most of the tests don't actually show you what you got wrong, just a %. (and at times, it's because of an error in the grading thing, or you put "2.0 feet" when the answer should have been "2.0 ft", and it's hard to check that stuff when you can't see it). Also, if your teacher grades you massively unfairly on something, they refuse to do anything about it. And right now I've had 3 group projects with 2 worthless students although that's not mutually exclusive to ERAU in any way.

The C206 with the glass cockpit has a gigantic firewall and I can't really see over it very well at 5'7". I should probably get a small cushion or something, I can see well enough but it would be nice to be about an inch higher.

edit: I assume controller was referring to this:
f. Proximity operations. VFR aircraft operating in proximity to Class B airspace are cautioned against operating too closely to the boundaries, especially where the floor of the Class B airspace is 3,000 feet or less above the surface or where VFR cruise altitudes are at or near the floor of higher levels. Observance of this precaution will reduce the potential for encountering an aircraft operating at the altitudes of Class B floors. Additionally, VFR aircraft are encouraged to utilize the VFR Planning Chart as a tool for planning flight in proximity to Class B airspace. Charted VFR Flyway Planning Charts are published on the back of the existing VFR Terminal Area Charts.

but not sure.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 21, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I work with a controller that thinks every pet-peeve of his is somehow discouraged by the AIM because it just has to be right?

Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's oversimplifying the AIM's guidance (which he's not actually familiar with at all) and sometimes he's completely wrong. He's just complaining because the pilot did something he didn't like.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Question for the guys flying oceanic routes, how far can you get without an oceanic clearance?

I had a flight from South America to Europe the other night and he asked for his oceanic clearance and he didn't get it until he was like halfway to Europe around 40W.

My understanding is that the clearance is required for the NAT tracks, so why did the flight from South America, not on the tracks, require the oceanic and then not get it until half way across the ocean?

He wasn't under any controlling agency that could give him an oceanic clearance until he got to 40W. Going northeast, the first boundary he would've hit is the Santa Maria boundary at 40W and they were the one's that took care of him.

If he wasn't datalinking and didn't have anything filed, then they would've held him a point just prior to 40W.

simble
May 11, 2004

Here's my recent airplane trouble experience.

I've been in nothing but 172's since I started training. I've flown: N, P, R, and S(P).

I joined a flying club in Phoenix that has a 172SP, a 182P and a Debonair. I got checked out in the 172 right away and love flying it. On Sunday, I was going to get checked out in the 182 and get my high performance endorsement by flying from P19 to KMYF. The club also wants 5 hours in the 182 before they'd set me free in it, which is fine. We decided to do it all in one long-ish XC.

We're doing the check out flight. The weather is perfect, even by Phoenix standards. We first head next door to KCHD to do a couple of landings. Those were 2 of the best landings I've ever had. The 182 is a drat fine airplane. It just felt so stable compared to its lighter sister. We depart KCHD to the west, pick up flight following and head for KMYF. Somewhere over the southwestern portion of Phoenix the plane got drat loud. I'm glad my girlfriend, who was in the back seat, didn't freak out when me and my CFI looked at each other, like a couple of confused dogs. We started to diagnose the problem. Everything looked fine except for some vibration in the yoke and pedals and the much louder engine.

My first instinct was to land at KGYR (about 10 miles to the NW from where we are). The CFI suggests heading back home just in case it's a problem that we can't fly on. The diagnosis we decide on is that we lost a single cylinder. P19 is only about 20 miles behind us. I agree and so we cancel flight following and head back to P19. I'm on short final and start easing the power out and the engine almost quits (I'm sure I overreacted to a normal miss or 2. In retrospect, I think it was probably too lean) so I decide to land with a little bit of power in just to be safe. One long landing later and we taxi back to its parking spot.

There's nothing obviously wrong with the airplane, there's no oil everywhere so I just fill out the squawk sheet, put up the grounded sign and call the club's maintenance officer and tell him what happened.

I got these in an email today:

Before:

After:

I'm not really sure how the hole opened up during straight and level cruise flight, but it did. I guess we're lucky we didn't get a fire in the cowling from the exhaust blowing on it. There was definitely a distinctive odor once the problem started happening, but it went away pretty quickly.

Round 2 of the checkout has been delayed until 11/10 :(

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

simble posted:

Before:

After:

Haha, that's great.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

simble posted:

I agree and so we cancel flight following

Why would you do this? Wouldn't you want them watching you in case your engine crapped the bed? :psyduck:

simble
May 11, 2004

We were on frequency still. The airport was right behind us. We would've switched to CTAF in ~8 minutes. In hindsight it was a mistake. The situation was certainly urgent, but at no point do I think that either of us felt like it was dire.

simble fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 23, 2013

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TheOtherGypsy posted:

He wasn't under any controlling agency that could give him an oceanic clearance until he got to 40W. Going northeast, the first boundary he would've hit is the Santa Maria boundary at 40W and they were the one's that took care of him.

If he wasn't datalinking and didn't have anything filed, then they would've held him a point just prior to 40W.

Makes sense, thanks

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

Key complaint: Most of the tests don't actually show you what you got wrong, just a %. (and at times, it's because of an error in the grading thing, or you put "2.0 feet" when the answer should have been "2.0 ft", and it's hard to check that stuff when you can't see it). Also, if your teacher grades you massively unfairly on something, they refuse to do anything about it. And right now I've had 3 group projects with 2 worthless students although that's not mutually exclusive to ERAU in any way.

That's interesting. All of my tests have been either on Blackboard (Multiple choice questions are either graded immediately or graded and returned, with the correct answer shown, essays may or may not get feedback) or a take-home Word file (slightly longer wait to hear back, but usually corrected). There have been a couple instances where there was something goofy in the test, whether it was an error in the question, no correct answer option provided, or a question which was scored as wrong but, in fact, the right answer. Typically, if somebody addressed it, they either threw it out or gave everybody credit for it.

Group projects are terrible. We had three or four people in a group for a blog, two of which proceeding to just stop showing up for class for some reason.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
All my tests are on blackboard too, not always multiple choice, but the results are never revealed, just the score. When I've asked they've said that's their policy to prevent the tests from showing up online elsewhere. Which, you could just do like other schools and change the test. Especially considering that somebody could just copy and paste the test off the site anyway since they always use the same one. It's not a good system.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Slaughter posted:

All my tests are on blackboard too, not always multiple choice, but the results are never revealed, just the score. When I've asked they've said that's their policy to prevent the tests from showing up online elsewhere. Which, you could just do like other schools and change the test. Especially considering that somebody could just copy and paste the test off the site anyway since they always use the same one. It's not a good system.

It's probably at the teacher's(or possibly departments) discretion, since only one has kept it hidden out of the classes I've taken. For things like Physics and Meteorology the numbers are not just different per test, but they are different for each person who takes it and there is a question bank it just pulls randoms from. So once the testing period was over we could view our score and the teachers comments. For some automated tests we could view our score right away, which seems like a poor decision on tests that aren't completely random.

What kind of classes were these? Some teachers are just horrid with blackboard too, which can get hilariously annoying when the module opens up to a blank page :allears:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Uh, one right now is SFTY 350 aircraft crash and emergency management. I'd have to go back through and get you a list but it'd be a long one. I took physics 101 and I don't remember if that was the same way, I don't think it was, I remember that being viewable cause I remember one of the wrong answers I got where all I needed to do was take my answer and multiply it by 2 but I forgot. :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm starting up at Metro State Denver's aviation program (world indoor airport hollar) in the spring, should have about 5 semesters with my transfer credits, then off to pilot mill ATP to get the rest of my certs.

Can't wait to get started on things.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pie posted:

I'm starting up at Metro State Denver's aviation program (world indoor airport hollar) in the spring, should have about 5 semesters with my transfer credits, then off to pilot mill ATP to get the rest of my certs.

Can't wait to get started on things.

There are a few pilots ITT that went to ATP if you have any questions.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AWSEFT posted:

There are a few pilots ITT that went to ATP if you have any questions.

:cool: hopefully they'll chime in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone know anything about running a small GA airport? Specifically, what kind of paperwork headaches are involved? It's an FAA designated reliever airport, which probably complicates things a little, but does it bring in any funding?

• Locked thread