Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Quick thoughts on Schiit Magni vs Asgard 2:

Magni is brighter and seemingly more detailed, while also coming off as quicker. The bass seems to extend further with the Asgard 2, neither seem cleaner than the next.

I would describe the Asgard 2 as warm and full sounding, while the Magni is quick and bright, in comparison. The Asgard 2 sounds like a tube amp from what I've heard their general sound is characterized as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Does anybody have any experience with Sennheiser factory refurbs? My dad's been looking at getting a set of Momentums and checked out the "outlet store" on the company website- they've got them in "like new" condition for $70 off the normal price ($280 vs $350).

Head-Fi forums postings seem to suggest everything from "yeah, they're just as good as new" to "call Sennheiser and ask them about their refurbishment process." I figured I'd ask here first.

Also- would they be good headphones to fly with? Reviews seem to peg their isolation as "only ok," so I figure they won't beat a good set of IEMs in that department, but are they more usable for travel than, say, your average pair of inexpensive headphones/earbuds?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 17, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Sennheiser factory refurbs? My dad's been looking at getting a set of Momentums and checked out the "outlet store" on the company website- they've got them in "like new" condition for $70 off the normal price ($280 vs $350).

Head-Fi forums postings seem to suggest everything from "yeah, they're just as good as new" to "call Sennheiser and ask them about their refurbishment process." I figured I'd ask here first.

Also- would they be good headphones to fly with? Reviews seem to peg their isolation as "only ok," so I figure they won't beat a good set of IEMs in that department, but are they more usable for travel than, say, your average pair of inexpensive headphones/earbuds?

Usually active noise-cancelers are best. Many people suggest in-ears if you don't have a lot of money, but if you don't get a perfect seal that engine noise will be annoying as hell.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

IEMs with foam tips. Midorka has recommended several reasonable pairs in this thread in your price range or below.

WugLyfe posted:

Usually active noise-cancelers are best. Many people suggest in-ears if you don't have a lot of money, but if you don't get a perfect seal that engine noise will be annoying as hell.

Active noise cancelling is a terrible gimmick. an IEM with a foam tip will isolate much more, and across everything and not just the drone of a jet engine. Having had five kinds of active noise cancellation and even more iems and a very comprehensive collection of tips with fifteen plus years of travel, I can really confidently state that if you can stand using an IEM, its the only way to fly.
Price has no real relevance to the isolation argument. Foam tips are cheap and can be found for any iem, and I have had expensive and cheap IEMs and active noise cancellers. Yes, some of the more expensive active cancellation is better, but foam is the best, and I am proof that you can spend top of the line money on IEMS (my ten driver customs were Audize money).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

IEMs with foam tips. Midorka has recommended several reasonable pairs in this thread in your price range or below.

Active noise cancelling is a terrible gimmick. an IEM with a foam tip will isolate much more, and across everything and not just the drone of a jet engine. Having had five kinds of active noise cancellation and even more iems and a very comprehensive collection of tips with fifteen plus years of travel, I can really confidently state that if you can stand using an IEM, its the only way to fly.
Price has no real relevance to the isolation argument. Foam tips are cheap and can be found for any iem, and I have had expensive and cheap IEMs and active noise cancellers. Yes, some of the more expensive active cancellation is better, but foam is the best, and I am proof that you can spend top of the line money on IEMS (my ten driver customs were Audize money).

ANC is pretty much designed to do one thing and one thing only (cancel out a constant drone), but there's so few sets that work well enough that it's usually best to avoid 'em if you can, but airplane use is not one of those times.

However, IEMs do not always seal well, and even the foam tips aren't perfect. It also depends on what kind of materials the IEM bodies themselves are made out of, because it's not always the sleeve that's the weak link in the chain. That absolutely has a tenuous correlation with cost.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 17, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

WugLyfe posted:

ANC is pretty much designed to do one thing and one thing only (cancel out a constant drone), but there's so few sets that work well enough that it's usually best to avoid 'em if you can, but airplane use is not one of those times.

However, IEMs do not always seal well, and even the foam tips aren't perfect. It also depends on what kind of materials the IEM bodies themselves are made out of, because it's not always the sleeve that's the weak link in the chain. That absolutely has a tenuous correlation with cost.

True, and true actual aircraft grade/use headsets with ANC are totally awesome (I have ridden in enough small planes with those).

Every IEM I have ever used has had some tip option that seals well for me. I suppose there are those for whom no IEM with any tip will fit and seal well. I have given the 'iem + foam tip' recommendation to scores of people, and maybe one couldn't find something that worked. They went with the bose NC set instead. For a while I actually used an ANC set just for the noise cancelling with an iem in ear underneath. Incredible isolation, just made my ears sweat and was kind of a hassle.

Midorka has posted a bunch of pretty low cost IEMs that seem great. I agree that at the low end there must be some IEMs where the tips aren't so good. Heck, there are some danged expensive ones with strange tips and fit, too.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
There is not a need for ANC on a consumer flight. I've flown with IEMs ranging in isolation quality and their passive isolation in combination with music playing will be enough for anyone. Sure if you're on a pond jumper then you're going to want more isolation, but I've flown a bunch and never have I ever been in a cabin that was very loud. Certainly nothing louder than ambient noises from a TV in the same room. Some IEMs do come with poor tips, but this can be easily remidied.

Point is, unless you have a problem with IEMs then there's pretty much never a reason to get ANC.

Cheap IEMs for travelling would be the M6 if you want budget. Their double and triple flanged tips will offer excellent isolation, and in my experience, the best comfort.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 18, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

Point is, unless you have a problem with IEMs...

A super common occurrence.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

A super common occurrence.

Which I usually liken to people who use IEMs with bad tips, or people not trying various tips. I didn't use double/triple flanged tips until over a year of owning IEMs and it was a revelation when I did. Comfort, isolation and ease of insertion is increased ten-fold with these types of tips. Gel and foam tips are also an option.

Edit: When I say "have a problem" with IEMs, I mean there are some people who literally can't wear IEMs because it triggers claustrophobic reactions or similar.

Edit 2: Even so, ANC is a pain in the rear end. Having to keep fresh batteries on you at all times and when the batteries die or run low the headphones will sound like crap with ANC on. I recommend a pair of over ear or on ear that isolate nicely over ANC. I really advise against ANC in almost every scenario really. It not only severely limits your options, but it's rarely ever necessary.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 18, 2013

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Are the Sennheiser Momentums (On Ear) worth looking into for someone who just likes to listen to music while working at a desk? I tried a pair on and found them to be very comfortable. Granted, I'm a peasant who has only used lovely disposable ear buds in the past.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I figured that the Momentums wouldn't match the isolation of some solid IEMs with good tips- I acknowledged that in my initial post.

I was just wondering if they'd hold their own and do a decent enough job on a plane/car/train/bus ride. My dad wants to use these as his main "general purpose" headphones for work/home and travel. He's not a huge fan of earbuds/IEMs but he does a fair amount of traveling and so I wanted to know if these would do an adequate job.

My main concern is that he generally uses some pretty crappy headphones to travel with right now and so he's gotta turn his iPod way up to drown out the background noise, which is obviously very bad. If these will allow him to keep the volume at reasonable levels, even if the isolation isn't totally seamless, then it's a win in my book.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So my HFI-780s just abruptly packed it in. I reached up to scratch my head and as the cord shifted I got a split second of garbled music, then nothing at all.

Since left and right went out at once I'm assuming either a wire broke in the cord or a solder point that services both sides let go. Is that reasonable? I haven't got much soldering experience but I think I could manage a reacable.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I figured that the Momentums wouldn't match the isolation of some solid IEMs with good tips- I acknowledged that in my initial post.

I was just wondering if they'd hold their own and do a decent enough job on a plane/car/train/bus ride. My dad wants to use these as his main "general purpose" headphones for work/home and travel. He's not a huge fan of earbuds/IEMs but he does a fair amount of traveling and so I wanted to know if these would do an adequate job.

My main concern is that he generally uses some pretty crappy headphones to travel with right now and so he's gotta turn his iPod way up to drown out the background noise, which is obviously very bad. If these will allow him to keep the volume at reasonable levels, even if the isolation isn't totally seamless, then it's a win in my book.

Here is a graph of how the Momentum isolate vs the M50, Apple earbuds, and the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. The HD25-1 II isolate the most and I've heard great things about them.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=4193&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=3121&graphID[]=513&scale=30

I can't figure out how to link this nicely.

Edit: Apparently even when linking directly from the site it doesn't work.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 18, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Here is a graph of how the Momentum isolate vs the M50, Apple earbuds, and the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. The HD25-1 II isolate the most and I've heard great things about them.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=4193&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=3121&graphID[]=513&scale=30

I can't figure out how to link this nicely.

graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID=4193&graphID=2941&graphID=3121&graphID=513&scale=30

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
So I got the MEElectronics M6P's in today. So far they sound great with the provided cones. I'll have to see how they hold up in my helmet as the memory wire thing seems flimsy but so far I'm pleased.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using the same pair of AKG 240's for the past (I poo poo you not) 16 years, for PC gaming. To me, they sound better than anything else I've ever used. I like hearing crisp midrange and treble, and don't care about massive booty bass.

Now, they are uncomfortable as gently caress, and one of my friends owes me $200 which he is likely but not guaranteed to pay me back. He also has an extra pair of Astro A40's, which I've never used but he swears are great. Would it be prudent to take those off his hands and call it even?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Any of yall in the market for a Fiio E7 or E17? I like them both but I should get rid of one.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Hi headphone thread,

My current headphones recently stopped playing bass sounds so I need to invest in some new ones. On top of that I'm seriously considering investing in a proper sound card as well (currently have an on-board one.) My primary need is gaming while talking with people over Mumble/Skype/Whatever. That's not to say I don't want some that play good quality music with a nice tonal balance, but this is not my primary concern. I'm looking for something closed and of the last of the four types mentioned in the OP, I tend to prefer big, soft cups that cover my ears entirely. Too small or too hard and my earlobes will start hurting after an hour or so. In terms of interface, I need them to just work directly with 3.5mm stereo jacks. An integrated microphone is mandatory.

If anyone has any recommendations on sound cards, these would be greatly appreciated as well!

My total budget for sound card + headphones is £100, which, adjusted for American prices, is around $120 +/- $20.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Joda posted:

Hi headphone thread,

My current headphones recently stopped playing bass sounds so I need to invest in some new ones. On top of that I'm seriously considering investing in a proper sound card as well (currently have an on-board one.) My primary need is gaming while talking with people over Mumble/Skype/Whatever. That's not to say I don't want some that play good quality music with a nice tonal balance, but this is not my primary concern. I'm looking for something closed and of the last of the four types mentioned in the OP, I tend to prefer big, soft cups that cover my ears entirely. Too small or too hard and my earlobes will start hurting after an hour or so. In terms of interface, I need them to just work directly with 3.5mm stereo jacks. An integrated microphone is mandatory.

If anyone has any recommendations on sound cards, these would be greatly appreciated as well!

My total budget for sound card + headphones is £100, which, adjusted for American prices, is around $120 +/- $20.

Skip the soundcard for now. Get something like the Samson SR850, Creative Aurvana Live! or Audio Technica Ad700. The Ad700 has the best comfort in your price range, but they lack bass. If you're primarily using them for talking then it shouldn't be a problem though.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
A long time ago, I had some Sennheiser CX500s. If I remember correctly, they had 16ohm, and 17hz to 22hz. I used to know what all that meant. Once upon a time.
Two pair, because the first wasn't legit, the second pair actually was. Beautiful deep rich bass that didn't get staticy at higher levels. I just want to feel like the bass is in my brain, but not at the cost of forsaking treble. Gotta have the good deep sound of that tribal bass that can fill your head up, but I can't miss out on the amazing steel-string blues solos either. I admit I have such fun messing around with the visual soundboard while music plays, thumping up the bass or messing with the midrange to throw the instruments above the vocals, all that poo poo. Just no tinny sound at any time.
Thing is, I can't wear anything other than IEMs because of constant migraines. Slight amount of pressure on my skull and I see spots. So I'd love for this pair to last a long time. I'd say what I'd be willing to drop would be no more than $120 US.
Am I correct in thinking having an in-line vol control makes the design more unstable/dangerous? It just seems... like I'd reeeeally want to avoid that.
So after all that, I'm really eyeing those Etymotic Researches. I hear it's got good bass sound.
Etymotic: 20Hz-15kHz, 16ohm, 105dB sensitivity, $100. Your thoughts?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/628106-REG/Etymotic_Research_HF5BLACK_hf5_In_Ear_Stereo_Headphones.html
$130 @ negg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25X11H5407

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 19, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you want deep, brain rattling bass Etymotics are an incredibly poor choice. They are a flat response headset and are very bass light.

At your price range the Yamaha EPH-100, Monster Turbine or Monster Gratitude are much better choices.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Holy hell, look at the box for the Gratitude! If I had more money to throw away, I'd just buy the poo poo for that and keep it in a locked glass box on my coffee table. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2WZ10N1651
e: Hahaha designed by earth wind and fire, that's why http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2WZ10N1651

So from the reviews I've gone over, I think I'll go with the Yamaha EPH-100. The Turbines look drat sexy though.

Thank you for your response! I've been dying for something that can surround me with bass. drat.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

There's also the Jays a-Jays Five, which are really loving good.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Midorka posted:

There's also the Jays a-Jays Five, which are really loving good.

Even though they're engineered for Android, Windows, and iOS phones? [built-in answer/hang up calls, play/pause music and videos, skip songs....etc controls]

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Paradox Personified posted:

Even though they're engineered for Android, Windows, and iOS phones? [built-in answer/hang up calls, play/pause music and videos, skip songs....etc controls]

I have the Windows ones, I honestly don't know if there's even a difference, and I thought they were $100+ IEMs from the sound alone. I don't know about the features, I don't use them and never will, but they loving sound great.

Edit: Actually I can't find the "Five" anywhere. I saw the "One" for $40 and thought they were the "Five."

Edit: This CNN article lists them as $110 in US, sounds about right!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 19, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have a bluetooth LG Tone+ HBS-730 headset, it works great with my Android phone, so I picked up a bluetooth dongle for Windows 7 and was going to try it out.

I got the dongle installed and successfully paired the headset, but now "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" appears in the device manager and it won't find any further drivers. LG seems to have nothing on their site, and googling for AD2P drivers suggests that I'm about to embark on a nightmarish endeavor. Does anyone know how I could make this easier?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Does going in to device manager and manually pointing to the driver folder under Hardware->Properties->Update Driver work?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

Does going in to device manager and manually pointing to the driver folder under Hardware->Properties->Update Driver work?

No, that didn't. Mercifully I figured it out, the website for the Bluetooth Dongle had a Win 7 driver package that actually enabled every function on the headset, I have the earbuds and microphone working now. Thanks though!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'd like some recommendations choosing some new headphones.

Budget - ~$100 though I'm willing to go higher if that means I can hit some sweet spot.
Source - For the most part, an iPhone or Android phone.
Isolation Requirements - They're mostly for use on public transport, chores and in the office, so yes.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM I think.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably balanced with a slant to bass.
Past Headphones - Nothing of note.
Preferred Music - Mostly Podcasts, Hip Hop, Electronica, Dance and Pop.

I also need a Mic, and some controls (pause/volume/skip) that work with both an iPhone and some kind of android (probably the new Nexus 5).

Bluetooth would be nice too, if it doesn't add too much?

Cheers.

Losoall
Mar 29, 2013

Hello, I'll mention this now before I get into details; I'm not much into knowing about Headphones, in the past I'd just pick up ones that appear comfortable and affordable, I don't have a strong sense in quality (basically just recognizing when a headset is horrible or decent, beyond that I wouldn't focus on). Right now, I am planning on buying a new Ipod and causal headphones just for wearing in public and on trips.

Budget: I can go up to around $330, literally anything beyond that will be out of my price range (however, if the taxes pushes the main price beyond $330, i could manage that).
Source: As mentioned, an Ipod; more speficically, an Ipod Nano, I was a bit determined to get wireless headphones to use alongside the ipod.
Isolation Requirements: Closed/a lot of isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone: I was looking into getting Supa-Aural, I suppose I could go with Circumaural if they aren't monsterous-looking.
Preferred Tonal Balance: This is somewhat what I was talking about with not having a strong sense of quality, I'm not sure what i'd want, possibly balanced. a slight leniency on bass or vocals. Hell, i probably wouldn't notice for the most part.
Past Headphones: Well, I've frequently been using two sets in the past few weeks. One for my laptop, and the other for public. The laptop one is a Turtle Beach: Ear Force x12. This was a quick buy, I was just walking through a gamestop picking up a game, noticed they were selling headsets and I needed one for my laptop which I recently bought during that time. I decided to pick it up without any real awareness as to what I was getting. In terms of my opinions of it....it's fine I suppose, I think it looks like crap and I would never wear this in public, but it does what I intended, hasn't broken on me as of yet. As for the headphones I was using publicly, I've been borrowing Beats Studio (The Turtle Beach wouldn't work with my old Ipod because it requires a USB plugin for reasons I still do not know). Again, in terms of sound quality, I thought it was fine, but I don't consider myself a good judge of determining quality. I do like the somewhat cleaner/sleeker design of these headphones, I'm not a fan of the awkward cushioning that bridges the ear pieces of most headphones I see.
Preferred Music: This varies greatly. Mainly, I'd be listening to podcast, but in terms of music, there's many genres I listen to.

I did some prior searches on 'Wireless headphones", looked into a few, obviously the heavily commercialized brands popped up first. One thing that caught my attention was some of them having some controls on the headset that can control your Ipod in terms of skipping tracks, pausing, etc.. I found that as a rather interesting ability, but I don't know the reliability of that, such as it not being able to work with certain music players, not responding, stuff like that. If those controls work well, I'd love to get headphones that has those functions.

I'm not too concerned with a mic, as that this is intended mainly for listening to music, but if there's a recommendation for one with a good quality mic, I'd certainly like to replace the Turtle Beach Headset, My laptop can run Bluetooth along with the Ipod Nano, so it'd work out for me as far as I would know.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

rapeface posted:

I'd like some recommendations choosing some new headphones.

Budget - ~$100 though I'm willing to go higher if that means I can hit some sweet spot.
Source - For the most part, an iPhone or Android phone.
Isolation Requirements - They're mostly for use on public transport, chores and in the office, so yes.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM I think.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably balanced with a slant to bass.
Past Headphones - Nothing of note.
Preferred Music - Mostly Podcasts, Hip Hop, Electronica, Dance and Pop.

I also need a Mic, and some controls (pause/volume/skip) that work with both an iPhone and some kind of android (probably the new Nexus 5).

Bluetooth would be nice too, if it doesn't add too much?

Cheers.

If you're in no rush the a-JAYS Five will be out soon, I'd expect by Christmas.

@losoall, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II seems like they might be for you.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My Sony MDRV6's finally broke after I accidentally hosed the cord up. They served me well for about 4 years, and I think it might be a decent time to upgrade. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices that I really like, both are Audio Technica headphones. I'm either getting the ATH-AD700's or the ATH M50's. Both seem like solid choices in my price range. I'm having a hard time picking between the two, and I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions or experience on the two.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

JP Money posted:

So I got the MEElectronics M6P's in today. So far they sound great with the provided cones. I'll have to see how they hold up in my helmet as the memory wire thing seems flimsy but so far I'm pleased.

Reporting back that these things work great. I use the largest cones they provided and they're very quiet. I might switch back to the smaller cones as I don't like how much the headphones stick out currently and they're a little too soundproof for riding. It's nice listening to music quietly though and eliminating wind noise. I'm sure my ears thank me.

Not a huge fan of the memory wire as I fully expect it to break or something in like a month but it helps keep them on my ears in the helmet at least. Not a bad buy for 35 bucks in comparison to the competition.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ad700 and M50 are completely different headphones, the only similarities are that they produce sound and are made by the same company. I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion those two were for you.

To compare them, the Ad700 leak sound and let sound in, M50's don't. Ad700 has weak bass, the M50 doesn't. The Ad700 has great mids, the M50 doesn't. The Ad700 has a spacious sound, the M50 doesn't. The Ad700 is the most comfortable headphone in the price range, the M50 aren't very comfortable.

Also, a broken cable can be easily replaced if you're handy at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Midorka posted:

Ad700 and M50 are completely different headphones, the only similarities are that they produce sound and are made by the same company. I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion those two were for you.

To compare them, the Ad700 leak sound and let sound in, M50's don't. Ad700 has weak bass, the M50 doesn't. The Ad700 has great mids, the M50 doesn't. The Ad700 has a spacious sound, the M50 doesn't. The Ad700 is the most comfortable headphone in the price range, the M50 aren't very comfortable.

Also, a broken cable can be easily replaced if you're handy at all.

I'm just looking for something well made with decent sound. Sound leaking isn't really an issue since I'd only be listening to them at home. To be perfectly honest, I just really like the look of the 700's and they seem to be decent cans. I had pretty much decided on the M50's from a friend's recommendation before I saw them. I might just give up the better bass of the 50's for the comfort of the 700's.

Also, I'm handy enough to replace the cable, but I'd still like to get a new pair. I might still repair them later.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm either getting the ATH-AD700's or the ATH M50's.

Instead of the AD700, I'd go for the AD700X. They're the upgraded version and the bass is supposed to be a tad better. It's only a ~$10 difference between the two on Amazon.

Or- if you can swing an extra $100, the AD900X's are a notable step up from both of them.

The M50's are solid but I'd only really use them on the go or as monitors/guitar amp output, given the alternative choices for at-home listening.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Instead of the AD700, I'd go for the AD700X. They're the upgraded version and the bass is supposed to be a tad better. It's only a ~$10 difference between the two on Amazon.

Or- if you can swing an extra $100, the AD900X's are a notable step up from both of them.

The M50's are solid but I'd only really use them on the go or as monitors/guitar amp output, given the alternative choices for at-home listening.

Oh drat dude, Amazon has the 700x's for cheaper than the regular 700's it looks like, thanks for letting me know about those. The 900's might be affordable too, I'll look into them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Oh drat dude, Amazon has the 700x's for cheaper than the regular 700's it looks like, thanks for letting me know about those. The 900's might be affordable too, I'll look into them.

If you're considering AD900's, definitely make sure you're looking at the 900x's and not the older version. Generally speaking, the 'x' versions of Audio Technica's open-back phones are appreciably improved- but that's particularly noticeable in the 900's.

The AD900's are widely celebrated ~except~ for their somewhat weak bass. The 900x's pretty much took care of that problem.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you're considering AD900's, definitely make sure you're looking at the 900x's and not the older version. Generally speaking, the 'x' versions of Audio Technica's open-back phones are appreciably improved- but that's particularly noticeable in the 900's.

The AD900's are widely celebrated ~except~ for their somewhat weak bass. The 900x's pretty much took care of that problem.

From what I read the Ad900x didn't fix any problem other than a better seal on the pads. The Ad900 have great bass, once the stiff pads break in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

Losoall posted:

Hello, I'll mention this now before I get into details; I'm not much into knowing about Headphones, in the past I'd just pick up ones that appear comfortable and affordable, I don't have a strong sense in quality (basically just recognizing when a headset is horrible or decent, beyond that I wouldn't focus on). Right now, I am planning on buying a new Ipod and causal headphones just for wearing in public and on trips.

Budget: I can go up to around $330, literally anything beyond that will be out of my price range (however, if the taxes pushes the main price beyond $330, i could manage that).
Source: As mentioned, an Ipod; more speficically, an Ipod Nano, I was a bit determined to get wireless headphones to use alongside the ipod.
Isolation Requirements: Closed/a lot of isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone: I was looking into getting Supa-Aural, I suppose I could go with Circumaural if they aren't monsterous-looking.
Preferred Tonal Balance: This is somewhat what I was talking about with not having a strong sense of quality, I'm not sure what i'd want, possibly balanced. a slight leniency on bass or vocals. Hell, i probably wouldn't notice for the most part.

Why are you spending so much money on headphones when you're not even sure of the difference that the value can make? I'd say all you need is ~100 bucks or so to avoid the crap, 300+ is going into the territory of actually appreciating the more subtle differences.

If you're not averse to using IEM's, just pick something from this list that you think is nice. The review scores are pretty spot on, and the portability factor and isolation works perfectly with an iPod Nano.

If you're not a fan of IEM's, try this list instead for portable headphones.

At any rate, we can't really offer you much help since you're not even sure yourself what you want. Just read the reviews for each of the headphones/IEM's from the links and go from there. If you're set on wireless, you'll really be sacrificing sound quality for convenience - at that point you can just go with whatever the most popular brand is.