Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Vavrek posted:

If only we'd never had our hair cut. This could all have been avoided.

I don't think this is Asherak. I think it might be our first introduction to a Leviathan. If true it might also be considered an enemy of Asherah, though that might be said about anything remotely edible.

We know from the Creation stories that there are believed to be five types of such critters created on the fourth day I think.

Asherak, Ogar, Quetzatl, Dragoom, and Leviathan.

The forest lizards were probably some lesser Dragoom. Jackal might have been lesser Quetzatl of some sort. We have met various Asherak in different forms. This would be our first Leviathan. The Medusa thingies on the way to Zepath might have been Ogar or Dragoom. Then again maybe all beasties don't fit in those categories.

Edit: if we make it back we should have some conversations about the various beasties and how to fight them.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Ugh, this giant tentacle monster worthy of being the fisherman's wife is just RUINING our day. Not only is it trying to kill us, but it ruined our meal plan AND our sweet beach side home!
Thanks, Ophama

I choose plan jng2058

Save Target As fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 21, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Ralith posted:

Plan jng2058

Indeed!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Five minutes ago it was struggling to get up on land. Now it is throwing trees at us. I don't think it's having THAT much of an issue on land anymore.

E: The trees are also being thrown in all directions around us. I am unsure how long our good luck dodging entire trees will last.

"Slower on land" doesn't translate into "completely incapable of moving on land." I see no contradiction between it being slower, less effective, and distinctly uncomfortable on land and being able to throw trees. To put it another way, suppose a human were to run from the beach into the water, and once within start chasing fishes, throwing kelp he pulled up from the sea bottom as he went. Is there any contradiction between the statement "He is slower in the water, unable to stay down there forever, and not likely capable of catching up with the fish, who are in their native element" and "He is capable of pulling up kelp and throwing it, albeit less effectively than he might on land"?

That's a bit besides the point, though. Given that there's always a chance that we'll be caught regardless or hit by a tree, how does your plan of telling him to go away because we said so improve upon those odds in any way? Particularly given that there's absolutely no evidence that such a plan would work, and plenty of evidence suggesting that it wouldn't. I mean, hell, a herd of damned minotaurs got up to Zepath itself, and they weren't convinced to stay away just because Tudiya told them to, so why should we expect such a thing to work on a much more powerful beast much further away from Zepa's domain?

It's also worth noting that apparently we can't see the bugger anymore - and if we can't see him, he's got rather less chance of seeing little ol' us. Of course, it's possible that he has some form of supernatural vision that lets him sense us through the trees, but breaking off our current course and running away into the forest at this point has a decent chance of shaking him and leaving him just rampaging around wildly in anger and frustration. Standing still does not convey this benefit and leaves us in the firing zone. And if he SHOULD happen to have the ability to see through the forest, then we're not really any worse off than we were before if we broke and ran, and it'll be useful to know that he has that ability. So given all that, why exactly should we trust to a last-ditch Hail Mary plan when a much more reliable one beckons?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

... it is comming with countless mouths screeching in agony.

Guys, we jumped to conclusions just because of the monster's appearance. The monster is in pain and needs our help. If we go pull the thorn out of its tentacle, it will calm down. I bet we would be best friends. Enkidel, Snarls, and the Eldritch horror can go on adventures together!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

So given all that, why exactly should we trust to a last-ditch Hail Mary plan when a much more reliable one beckons?

Note the fact that, as a child in Athar we have never seen such a beast like this. We have been taking from the sea without making sacrificial offerings to our Ol Buddy Asherah. We have obviously angered something down there to send Mr. Shoggoth our way.

We are outgunned, and the fact that it's reach to hurt us: It's either found it's bearings and is breaking down trees at the treeline or its godawful appendages are reaching out and throwing trees as it is on the beachhead. There may BE no reasonable distance we can get away from him. This includes dropping everything, grabbing Snarls and running away in varying angles- the sandals only help if we are at a walking pace. We are going to get tired sooner if not later, and we don't know if this thing can even get tired. I am not convinced solely running from this is viable.

Do I expect us directly telling the thing to move along to actually work? No, but that wasn't the point. The plan is to call for divine aid by a quick sacrifice and invoking El's name against the thing, since previous votes chose not to do so at the altar. Azzazel, potentially a Melachim not in favor of El, was afraid of getting into trouble for threatening us. All this time up to now we have not seen Asherah or her children come out of the ocean, and she was driven to it long ago by Zepa. Sushem taught us that we have to perform rituals and sacrifices or Asherah will come and eat us. There are utterly divine rules in this world, and the problem is we don't know all of them. What we can infer is that Mr. Shoggoth doesn't belong here, and the sooner we get El and the Melachim's attention of this aberration, the safer we should be.

I just don't believe we can reasonably get away from this thing without divine intervention.

E: and if this thing is the third of the size of Zepath, supernatural sight or not we will be sitting ducks outside of the canopy of the trees.
E2:

Diogines posted:

You know that El and the Ophanim cannot be controlled. You cannot say magical words and compel them to act. According to your religious education, the only thing you could "do" to obtain divine aid is to be a true believer, suitably virtuous and ask for help. Making a sacrifice might help to draw attention, however.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 21, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah, at this point we are gambling on it not being able to go too far from the ocean. Hopefully that is the case, and we'll probably know by the next update if we can escape or not. If we still haven't shaken it by then, we're probably boned unless we can call in the Calvary.

Edit :forgot to actually vote : plan jng2058 45 degrees

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Guys, we jumped to conclusions just because of the monster's appearance. The monster is in pain and needs our help. If we go pull the thorn out of its tentacle, it will calm down. I bet we would be best friends. Enkidel, Snarls, and the Eldritch horror can go on adventures together!

In fairness, I would watch the hell out of that show. :munch:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
If we can get to that obelisk again I bet the Zepa answering machine would not like the Mr tentacle man entering his domain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WhiteOutMouse posted:

If we can get to that obelisk again I bet the Zepa answering machine would not like the Mr tentacle man entering his domain.

The obelisk is two weeks away.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I just don't believe we can reasonably get away from this thing without divine intervention.

This seems to be what your entire argument boils down to: You think running away is impossible. The question is, why, exactly? What evidence have we seen so far suggesting that it's impossible to get away from this thing? Mere despair? The idea that this thing is absolutely and definitely a divine messenger and that it's impossible to escape divine wrath?

This really needs to be answered because there IS evidence suggesting we can run away from Asherah's divine wrath - we've done it before, remember? Back when Shushem was killed and the earth trembled and Jalitha told us to run along with Tudiya and co. to get away from the sea? And they jogged along for a mere twenty minutes or so before deeming it safe to slow down. And that wasn't Tudiya grabbing everyone and bounding across the land like a madman, that was us, a little boy and his mother, jogging along, not even at a full run, for twenty minutes, before everyone figured it was safe to stop. They didn't even bother to look or check, they just went along for twenty minutes and figured they could take a breather.

To refresh your memory (again, someone else already quoted this, really)

Diogines posted:

"We have to go sweetling, now" Jalitha says, teary eyed. Still crying, you follow at a pace somewhere between a fast walk and a run, the pack animals keeping pace. There are more tremors of the earth, sporadic ones which cause the furry monsters to make strange noises and which cause the trees to shake. Some trees fall as you make your escape but after about twenty minutes you are deeper into the forest. You are still rather upset and cry. You hug Jalitha who hugs you tightly back and tells you "Everything will be alright from now on sweetling, no one else will hurt you."

As you do, the outsiders take the two injured men off of the backs of the furry monsters and set them down...

And that was a VERY DIRECT bit of "loving with Asherah" there. This time, we don't even know if we DID gently caress with Asherah or if these monsters actually regularly patrol the seas and grab whatever life they find, avoiding Athar solely because of the rituals or the human sacrifices.

So why, given the above and given all the physical evidence we've seen suggesting that this doesn't like land, are you absolutely, completely, and positively certain that this thing will track us 'till the end of our days with speed like a cheetah?

Then again there's the other prong of your argument: The idea that this thing "doesn't belong here." Why would you think that? Zepa never claimed the coastline and the men of Labras avoid the coastline. Why do you believe that El has a claim on the coastline when Tudiya has clearly stated that the seas belong to the demons and that men of Labras generally have no real business screwing around shore even? To refresh your memory:

Diogines posted:

Q: Can a city ever be built by the sea?

"More than one horror swims in the seas. It would not be wise."

So why, again, do you assume that such things shouldn't be here if apparently even Tudiya thinks it's a bad idea to build a city near the coast? If such lands "belong to El" and it's possible to invoke El to kick monsters away, shouldn't cities by the coast be a fine and dandy idea?

Also, re: size and tree-throwing it's worth noting that I think most people are voting to run deeper along the forest at this point instead of straight out towards the scrublands, so if the trees start landing further away from us as we run further into the forest, that means it can't see us and if we just run along the forest for a bit and THEN break out we should be safe.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Pure speculation but it would be pretty terrifying if this thing just started using trees as handholds (slimeholds?) to pull itself at us. Given how it seems to toss trees with little effort it would probably go pretty fast...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dyzzy posted:

Pure speculation but it would be pretty terrifying if this thing just started using trees as handholds (slimeholds?) to pull itself at us. Given how it seems to toss trees with little effort it would probably go pretty fast...

I think that would be akin to a human trying to pull themselves across a field using blades of grass. It just wouldn't support the creature's mass.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah, but it might work if the human were an amorphous blob and could grab a bunch of blades all at once. I guess it all depends on how elastic this thing is.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

jng2058 posted:

2. O[/b] Time to be smarter. We run perpendicular to our current course such that the monster and thrown trees are aiming in the wrong direction!

<----- Me & Snarls

Treeline -------------------
.............^
.............|
.............|
....Horrible Monster

Beach------------------------

3. U Slow to Snarl's maximum speed.

Voting this. Except I would like to name our settlement Hero's Reach perhaps if we bother to name the place, it officially becomes a settlement under divine protection.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 21, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
It is just the right amount of elasticity to end this CYOA.

I just finished reading the posts I missed over the weekend. I love that we are apparently only mildly concerned that a living nightmare is trying to kill us.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

This seems to be what your entire argument boils down to: You think running away is impossible. The question is, why, exactly? What evidence have we seen so far suggesting that it's impossible to get away from this thing? Mere despair? The idea that this thing is absolutely and definitely a divine messenger and that it's impossible to escape divine wrath?

This really needs to be answered because there IS evidence suggesting we can run away from Asherah's divine wrath - we've done it before, remember? Back when Shushem was killed and the earth trembled and Jalitha told us to run along with Tudiya and co. to get away from the sea? And they jogged along for a mere twenty minutes or so before deeming it safe to slow down. And that wasn't Tudiya grabbing everyone and bounding across the land like a madman, that was us, a little boy and his mother, jogging along, not even at a full run, for twenty minutes, before everyone figured it was safe to stop. They didn't even bother to look or check, they just went along for twenty minutes and figured they could take a breather.
Let's suppose that the trembling that we felt back in Athar is what is currently chasing us now. If it is, we were making headway immediately had no visual contact of our group. We spent 20 minutes that time jogging so what, maybe a mile. It found us in the sea grabbing pearls. This being has shown, by throwing trees either close by or at least half a mile that it either can keep up with us or has such a large range that it doesn't NEED to. Also, keep in mind when we slashed our hand with the shark tooth we were being pulled back in the direction of Athar, and we were at least several days out from the village. I think the current evidence that it is throwing trees in our general direction, either half a mile away or closer makes a good case that this isn't a magical game of tag and by running 20 minutes inland will make us safe as it did when Shushem was killed. It's time to call in the Calvary.

As to why it doesn't belong here:

Diogines posted:

"I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST. When my brothers claimed other lands, I journeyed onwards with my sons. With two hands I dueled Asherah and with those hands I smote Asherah, I and no other and drove her back into the Depths! This land is the land of my seed, forever!"

Asherah wasn't driven back to the forest or the beach, but to the depths of the ocean. The obelisk didn't denote boundaries and is two or so weeks away from here. Where is it stated that this area ISN'T claimed by Zepa?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Let's suppose that the trembling that we felt back in Athar is what is currently chasing us now. If it is, we were making headway immediately had no visual contact of our group. We spent 20 minutes that time jogging so what, maybe a mile. It found us in the sea grabbing pearls. This being has shown, by throwing trees either close by or at least half a mile that it either can keep up with us or has such a large range that it doesn't NEED to. Also, keep in mind when we slashed our hand with the shark tooth we were being pulled back in the direction of Athar, and we were at least several days out from the village. I think the current evidence that it is throwing trees in our general direction, either half a mile away or closer makes a good case that this isn't a magical game of tag and by running 20 minutes inland will make us safe as it did when Shushem was killed. It's time to call in the Calvary.

As to why it doesn't belong here:

Asherah wasn't driven back to the forest or the beach, but to the depths of the ocean. The obelisk didn't denote boundaries and is two or so weeks away from here. Where is it stated that this area ISN'T claimed by Zepa?

Sorry, your points seem a touch disconnected so forgive me if I misunderstood you somewhere.

I THINK what you're saying is essentially three-fold:

A: The monster isn't going to just stop and go away after crossing some invisible boundary somewhere

B: It's throwing things at us, therefore it's clearly within danger range and it won't be possible to get away.

C: In Athar, we had a head start. Here, it started within sight of us.

Also D: Something about Athar and the shark tooth whose relevance I'm having trouble making out, can you explain that one a bit more?

To take these point by point...

A: Well, no, the point isn't that it's going to magically going to give up after crossing an invisible line. The point is that it's not made for land and that at some point it's probably going to get too exhausted, frustrated, dehydrated or just plain worn out to keep trying to chase us over land - as evidenced by the fact that we're not seeing these things attacking Zepath on a regular basis. Of course, WHEN it's going to get worn out is a bit of a trick, but we definitely know it can't follow us forever - and the escape from Athar suggests that it's not going to take weeks of running before it gives up.

B: The fact that it's throwing things at us is hardly conclusive evidence that it's impossible to get away from it. Suppose a boy were to stalk a sparrow, and the sparrow, upon noticing him, flies off. The boy, frustrated and desperate to score a hit keeps running, but starts picking up stones and hurling them at the sparrow. The fact that these stones might come close to the sparrow for a time and that the sparrow is in danger of getting hit by the stones is by no means evidence that the sparrow won't be able to get away from the boy. By the same token, the fact that we're within tree-throwing distance by no means indicates we'll be within tree-throwing distance for all time. Of course, it doesn't also necessarily PROVE that we can get away from it, but it doesn't DISPROVE it either - it just means we're going to be in for interesting times as long as we're in range.

C: A good point, but again, no real proof that we can't get away. This just means that if it IS possible to get away, we're going to need to run faster and for longer - how much more is an important point, but there's no reason to think it's impossible to do so yet.

In short, I don't see anything outright proving that we've got no chance of running away and that it's better not to even try. So why not try?

As for Zepa's claim of boundaries, a couple of points.

A: Tudiya did not drive away the minotaurs from Zepath by saying "This land is El's and Zepa's! Begone!" He had to beat their leader to death and then get the rest of the army to beat the hell of the herd. Why would shouting El at this much bigger monster at what is clearly the edge of Zepa's boundaries at least matter, then?

B: Everyone thinks living near the ocean is suicide. If Zepa's claims DID have divine authority and COULD be used to justify divine wrath booting monsters away, why would living near the sea be suicide? Couldn't people just say "Back off, or I'm calling El to slap a divine lawsuit on you! This land is Zepa's!" when monsters started acting up?

C: For that matter, why would anyone fear monsters period anywhere if all they needed to do was to say "Nope, Zepa's land! GTFO!" whenever they encountered one? Why would any monsters (like the lizard beast, or the jackal) at all be anywhere near the obelisk or Zepath if Zepa's claims meant anything to them?

D: "Depths" has a good chance of being a poetic word for "ocean", not a claim that Asherah can only live in the Marinas Trench.

E: As we saw when Tudiya made it back to Zepath, the line of Labras has a tendency to bullshit when boasting about their achievements. What sounds more impressive, "I drove a horrible monster into the DEPTHS OF THE OCEAN!" or "I drove a horrible monster from these lands and into the sea, though it still fucks around near the coast because I'll be hosed if I fight that thing underwater as well."

So no, I don't see any reason why this is clearly Zepa's land and inviolate to all and any monsters, and that El is absolutely going to call down the thunder on anything trespassing since he pretty clearly hasn't been doing that.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 21, 2013

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Angela Christine posted:

The obelisk is two weeks away.

We have sandals that allow us to walk indefinitely without rest.

Camping and foraging will be a pain in the rear end, but we could conceivably lure that thing all the way to the obelisk by getting a good lead, resting for a bit, and then doubling back to taunt it.

The Worst Lurker
Dec 12, 2012
Why do you believe it won't be able to catch up if Enkidel tries to out-walk it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You planning to abandon our dog then? Aso, walking for a week non-stop will most likely kill us when we stop.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I thought we didn't accumulate fatigue when walking with the sandals? It just stores whatever fatigue we had before we started walking.

The idea behind them is that if we start rested, well fed and hydrated, we can go anywhere and do anything without tiring as long as we don't stop, or we can find a spot to rest/eat/drink.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Disargeria posted:

I thought we didn't accumulate fatigue when walking with the sandals? It just stores whatever fatigue we had before we started walking.

The idea behind them is that if we start rested, well fed and hydrated, we can go anywhere and do anything without tiring as long as we don't stop, or we can find a spot to rest/eat/drink.

Nope, it basically stops us from feeling the effects of travel - the effects are still there and still growing stronger as we go. Remember how we were warned, back at the obelisk, that because of our quick-march to the obelisk we really, really needed to find some food/water/sleep before we stopped or else we'd probably end up in crippling, likely lethal pain? Yeah.

A Terrible Person posted:

We have sandals that allow us to walk indefinitely without rest.

Camping and foraging will be a pain in the rear end, but we could conceivably lure that thing all the way to the obelisk by getting a good lead, resting for a bit, and then doubling back to taunt it.

Although I think this is a terrible idea, I do like that we're attempting to find ways of making use of the obelisk. First we tried to make it a divine Zippo lighter, now we're trying to use it as an enormous seafood grill. Enkidel is creative!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

In short, I don't see anything outright proving that we've got no chance of running away and that it's better not to even try. So why not try?

I apologize for being disjointed earlier, my head isn't exactly altogether earlier.

In short for my point, I don't see anything outright proving that calling for divine aid at this point is worthless and that it's better to not even try. You make some valid points, but the situation boils down to we don't know what the hell this is, what this thing is capable of, and the best way to handle it. We all are trying to piece this being together with parts of

quote:

A: Well, no, the point isn't that it's going to magically going to give up after crossing an invisible line. The point is that it's not made for land and that at some point it's probably going to get too exhausted, frustrated, dehydrated or just plain worn out to keep trying to chase us over land - as evidenced by the fact that we're not seeing these things attacking Zepath on a regular basis. Of course, WHEN it's going to get worn out is a bit of a trick, but we definitely know it can't follow us forever - and the escape from Athar suggests that it's not going to take weeks of running before it gives up.

You are right that this seems to not be made for land, be we have no idea of its limitations: Does it need water to breathe? does it even need to breathe? Does it even get tired? Will we get tired first before it?

quote:

B: The fact that it's throwing things at us is hardly conclusive evidence that it's impossible to get away from it. Suppose a boy were to stalk a sparrow, and the sparrow, upon noticing him, flies off. The boy, frustrated and desperate to score a hit keeps running, but starts picking up stones and hurling them at the sparrow. The fact that these stones might come close to the sparrow for a time and that the sparrow is in danger of getting hit by the stones is by no means evidence that the sparrow won't be able to get away from the boy. By the same token, the fact that we're within tree-throwing distance by no means indicates we'll be within tree-throwing distance for all time. Of course, it doesn't also necessarily PROVE that we can get away from it, but it doesn't DISPROVE it either - it just means we're going to be in for interesting times as long as we're in range.

Agreed. We can make assumptions as to it's range, but since we are in no visual contact of it, we have no set idea whether it's chilling on the beach and reaching out with amorphous limbs or is barreling towards us.

No qualms with C, but to further explain D: Something about Athar and the shark tooth whose relevance I'm having trouble making out, can you explain that one a bit more?

We were a sizable distance away from Asherah's domain, but when we called to him/her with a blood sacrifice, our body was being pulled very swiftly towards the Sea God. Either the forest we were in was in the domain of Asherah, or domains do not matter when a believer calls upon their diety. This may or may not be the land be of Zepa, but even if it isn't, there is a good chance that calling for help from El and the Melachim will work here since we are believers, of a good nature, and if we ask. El has never been known to really directly help in matters but we may get an angel buddy out of it to whisk us away.

Honestly, I put the "you don't belong here" text in my vote there because I just wanted to tie back all the time we learned justice and law under Tudiya - a unique (read: flavor text) way to gather attention to the situation at hand to the higher powers that be, but subordinate to the fact that I want to make a small sacrifice on a rock to get El's attention, since sacrifices are supposed to help with getting attention.

If running away works, then I'll be loving happy as a non-demon clam that I have been terribly mistaken about the abilities of eldritch sea beasts.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Ah, my mistake. The first sentence stuck out more than the second one:

quote:

While you walk, you do not seem to gain any new hunger, thirst, tiredness or fatigue. When you stop walking, all such feelings accrued as you walked flood back into you. It seems to do nothing to decrease tiredness, fatigue, thirst or hunger incurred before you started walking. You realize that if you had food and water, the sandals would be an unrivalled way to travel long distances, but also realize that without regular breaks, you would likely collapse at the end of each day as the fatigue hits you all at once.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think it might be massive. We feel from what we have seen that it is a third the size of Zepath and we have not seen it all, only what it could get out of the water. We need to determine its range and determination as quickly as we can without abandoning Snarls or dying if that is possible. We can either out distance it away from the sea or we can't. It will either give up or it won't.

If it neither gives up nor is stopped by the trees and its own mass then we will have to do something very extreme to survive. A forest fire might be a good start, though potentially as dangerous to us in many ways.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Snarls expression is one of terror but you get off of him and keep running for your life from Enkidelopolis and more importantly, the giant monster chasing you. You turn right, perpendicular to your prior direction and head south, hoping that the creature will keep going along your former path.

Snarls keeps pace as best he can but he has run his doggy heart out, you slow to match his speed.

You can hear the breaking of trees behind you and are forced to dodge as best you can as trees continue to soar overhead in your general direction.

Suddenly Snarls is no longer beside you. You look back and watch in horror as Snarls trips and tumbles and then he is down. He gives out a yelp of pain as he tries to stand and falls down again. Something is wrong with his front right leg, he is hurt even if the injury is not obvious.

You stop beside him and kneel down even as more trees sail overhead in your general direction.

HURTS!

In slowing to match Snarls pace, the creature seems to have gotten closer to you. At a dead run straight east you might hit the scrubland in 15 or 20 minutes. Would the creature follow you there? At least there is nothing to throw at you there, if... if you can outrun it. You are young, your legs are long and you are in rather good shape, you are panting now but with your life on the line you could manage that sort of run, outpacing it or not being hit by trees before then is another question entirely.

But not Snarls. He is finished running. If you remain here much longer both you and Snarls are going to die. The horrendous screams of a thousand or more mouths in agony has not given up it's pursuit...

1. You....

A. I leave him behind.
B. I drop the contents my left hand, the spiked club and carry him.
C. I drop the contents of my right hand, all of my other possessions, except for my sandals, which I am wearing, and carry him.
D. I drop everything and carry him, he will be more comfortable that way and I can run faster.
E. I drop the club and jackal skull. I spend precious seconds getting dressed, carry my knife and pearls in a fold in my robe and carry Snarls in both arms. I loose time dressing this way, but I can run faster than if I carried Snarls and my stuff and he will be more comfortable.
F. I no longer have a fire. I find a flat rock, consecrate it as swiftly as I can and smash the pearls on it as an offering.
G. I pray without an offering.
H. I leave him behind BECAUSE I hope to lure it away from Snarls, I yell loudly in hopes it can hear and follow me.
I. Snarls is doomed but I won't let him be eaten alive. I lean over and tell him how much I love him, as he licks my face and whines one last time I... I hug him and then I break his neck.
J. I. And then I slit my own throat. I...*sobs* I am coming boy... I... I'm sorry.
K. I. And then I remain still so I can be eaten.
L. I. And then I run to the monster, to be eaten.
M. I pray to any entity besides El, fill in, such as any known demon, Asherah, any Melachim or any other supernatural force.
N. I raise my spiked club and charge it because I am suicidal. This will definitely get me killed.
O. I slit my palms and make a blood offering to Asherah.
P. I sacrifice Snarls to Asherah.
Q. I promise my first born to Asherah or any other supernatural force who is listening if they save us now.
R. Azzazel! This is serious man! Come on please! HELP!
S. ISHAMAL YOU CRAZY OLD BASTARD! I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN HEAR ME BUT HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPP!
T. I Vayahi Or the monster!
U. Bareen can miracle heal people by touching them, so can Tudiya, though he very rarely does so, she does it often to her monster hunters. I do that to Snarls and we keep running!
V. Something else. Fill in.

2. If you keep running away you run...
W. South, the way you were going.
X. East, towards the scrubland.
Y. West or north, not that it matters since I will die for sure if I go in either direction.
Z. Some other direction. Fill in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 21, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

1:E and S - Guys, we are butt-naked except for our sandals. Let's start praying to El and Ishamal and Azzazel and any other benevolent force that'll listen, take a moment to get dressed, stash the pearls, dump everything else, grab our dog and run towards -
2:X - The scrubland.

We can make a new knife, find a new skull, and there's gonna be plenty of wood around for clubs...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 21, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Changed vote - see below!

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 22, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Not decided yet, but for those that want to drop something, may I advise the club instead of the other stuff? The club is useful, but the other has poo poo like our knife and other important survival material. Also clothing.

Basically, it seems less useful than that stuff.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
B

X

Nothing fancy. Drop the club, scoop the puppy, run like hell.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

drat, update came while writing a response to HiHo ChiRho.

Hmm. We still have a chance of outrunning this thing, actually - we weren't running at our own flank speed, we'd slowed down to Snarl's pace. If we picked him up, we MIGHT be able to outrun the bastard - or not. I guess the question here is whether we want to go all-in on faith or all-in on speed.

Then too, if we do run, which way? The scrublands, in the hope that it won't go too far inland and that it won't keep throwing trees? Or down the forest, in the hope that the trees are slowing it down and loving it up?

I'll have to think about this, but I've a suggestion for those who are sure they want to go with faith - if we're going to go with prayer, go ALL IN with prayer. Smash the pearls, smash the skull, smash the club even if that's possible, and vow to dedicate our life to El as our offering when we get back to Zepath. If we're to trust to faith, then trust entirely and fully to faith - no half measures. If El gets us out of this one alive, then he drat well deserves our life, doesn't he?

By the way, I'd just like to point out that if we'd gone straight home to Zepath to comfort our dear mother when we first got here we wouldn't be dealing with this nonsense. :colbert:

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Fuck it we have no chance running from this thing while carrying Snarls and we are not going to leave him behind.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
E X

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
E suit up. Carry snarls on one shoulder or around our neck since we will be more mobile.

G & T

EL HA MELECH KOL HA OLAM! VAYAHI OR!

This is not done with some huge preparation, it is merely done out of immediate necessity and without hesitation or thought.

This is a prayer. It is not asking for El to fix a boo-boo. It is said with full intent and fury to incinerate that loving thing by whatever means.

We want a fire between us and it, even if it stampedes 'things' and causes some burning logs to come our way. Do not spend some huge amount of time on this, just do it. It works or it doesn't.

Snarls is hurt. We are pissed and very focused. We have had it with this gibbering loving horror.

We are now fighting it whether we want to or not since it can still reach us with trees and Snarls is hurt. The better part of our fighting is evasion and finding ground upon which we can actually fight, but we are pissed. This is shouted, facing the direction of the thing with intent of smiting the poo poo out of it. It is trespassing. loving thing. Make a full on smiting gesture with the club.

(The first is what Tudiya shouted as he charged the Minotaur. We don't know what it means at all, but we don't know what Vayahi Or means either. It takes almost no time. It will work or not.)

X. Then head for the scrubland at our best pace where it has neither ammo nor ready made tentacle holds, should it still be following (which seems likely at this point). Some zigging and zagging may be in order.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 22, 2013

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

F with modifications.

Smash the jackal skull and pearls on a consecrated rock.

"El, I offer you my passage to manhood to save this innocent life that I have so foolishly endangered!. Please lend me your aid to smite this abomination that encroaches on your land! EL HA MELECH!"

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

UnassemblyRequired posted:

F with modifications.

Smash the jackal skull and pearls on a consecrated rock.

"El, I offer you my passage to manhood to save this innocent life that I have so foolishly endangered!. Please lend me your aid to smite this abomination that encroaches on your land! EL HA MELECH!"

Changing my vote to this. Smash the pearls with the jackal skull! If we get out of this alive, I think it is a safe bet that we will pull a Tudiya and just lay our head onto the altar and pledge our life to El. Also E and T.

Come to think of it, we don't know the real reason why Tudiya had no other items to offer when he came back...

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 22, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nettle Soup posted:

1:E and S - Guys, we are butt-naked except for our sandals. Let's start praying to El and Ishamal and Azzazel and any other benevolent force that'll listen, take a moment to get dressed, stash the pearls, dump everything else, grab our dog and run towards -
2:X - The scrubland.

We can make a new knife, find a new skull, and there's gonna be plenty of wood around for clubs...

Do this and give the club to Snarls to carry in his mouth. It's basically a stick, dogs are good at carrying sticks.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LLSix posted:

Do this and give the club to Snarls to carry in his mouth. It's basically a stick, dogs are good at carrying sticks.

The club is 4 feet and heavy. I don't think Snarls can keep a good enough grip to hold onto it due to it's size and weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

F