Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'd expect better multiplayer from the next Rocksteady game. They'll have more time and funds to implement that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
There's always the option of finding a pal to play with on Team Batman, and dedicating every game to finding ways of trolling the people playing Arkham Shootymen.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

miscellaneous14 posted:

There's always the option of finding a pal to play with on Team Batman, and dedicating every game to finding ways of trolling the people playing Arkham Shootymen.

I think multiplayer could win everyone over if you can troll other players the way you can troll computer enemies in Predator maps: Down one of the guys and have everyone inspect to find explosive gel detonating in their faces.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I think multiplayer could win everyone over if you can troll other players the way you can troll computer enemies in Predator maps: Down one of the guys and have everyone inspect to find explosive gel detonating in their faces.

There doesn't appear to be a gangster revive mechanic or Batman could just trap every downed guy with explosive boomerangs. A truly wasted opportunity.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I'm curious as to when we'll see reviews popping up - I'm really hoping Origins is going to be good fun. It'd be nice to know that you can hand a batman game over to another dev and have it still turn out pretty good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Someone put up some boss fight clips on Youtube.

Killer Croc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFlapZCP2E

Deathstroke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnzfGmWsgbM

Electrocutioner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nYpNInf1E

That last one isn't the real fight. There's a proper rematch later.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Not a very interesting boss, but judging from the cutscene after the fight it seems to be pretty drat early in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it's apparently not too long after the opening.

I added two more boss clips as well.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I liked the Deathstroke fight. Nice touches, animation and stuff. The atmosphere of the room looks quite nice, too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I don't know if there's much point in spoiling the name of the bosses, considering the preview images for the videos have their name in giant bright letters.

EDIT: Duh, I forgot you can just turn the preview images off. It's early and I haven't had my coffee. Carry on. :)

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 21, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Just a precaution in case some people here aren't clicking the links.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

IchGestalt posted:

I liked the Deathstroke fight. Nice touches, animation and stuff. The atmosphere of the room looks quite nice, too.

I thought he was being voiced by JG Hertzler. It didn't sound like him, or anything I have previously seen. Surely they haven't fired everyone's favourite Klingon?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Just a precaution in case some people here aren't clicking the links.
I'm one of those sticklers for not being spoiled, I stopped looking at Origin stuff when the Achievments started getting leaked. I want to be as surprised by the story as possible from here on out, thanks for spoiler-tagging :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm one of those sticklers for not being spoiled, I stopped looking at Origin stuff when the Achievments started getting leaked. I want to be as surprised by the story as possible from here on out, thanks for spoiler-tagging :)

Yeah, I've managed to get this far without spoiling myself, so let me get through four more days.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trickjaw posted:

I thought he was being voiced by JG Hertzler. It didn't sound like him, or anything I have previously seen. Surely they haven't fired everyone's favourite Klingon?

He's actually voiced by Mark Rolston in this. Yes, the same Mark Rolston who voiced nerdy rear end Lex Luthor in Injustice.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Electrocutioner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nYpNInf1E

That last one isn't the real fight. There's a proper rematch later.
Fantastic. I really wish that *was* the only fight between the two.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I was sure Hertzler was doing it. Did I just make this up?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Mark Rolson (aka that guy who has been in pretty much everything) is voicing Deathstroke. source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mark-rolston-the-voice-of-deathstroke-in-batman-arkham-origins/1100-6415630/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Trickjaw posted:

I was sure Hertzler was doing it. Did I just make this up?
He voices Deathstroke in Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Man, I really hope the multiplayer doesn't end up sucking. I flinched and watched this multiplayer tutorial video and it still looks neat. :(

I don't want Arkham Origins to break my heart. AssCreed 3 broke my drat heart last year, and I hated hated hated Bioshock Infinite - Arkham Origins and Watch Dogs are the only two other games I've got any hype for.

Enough whinging, though: Which store should I pick up Arkham Origins from to get the most launch day content?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
poo poo I thought this game came out tomorrow not Friday and was looking for some reviews.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Man, I really hope the multiplayer doesn't end up sucking. I flinched and watched this multiplayer tutorial video and it still looks neat. :(

I don't want Arkham Origins to break my heart. AssCreed 3 broke my drat heart last year, and I hated hated hated Bioshock Infinite - Arkham Origins and Watch Dogs are the only two other games I've got any hype for.

Enough whinging, though: Which store should I pick up Arkham Origins from to get the most launch day content?

It's always Gamestop, if you're from the New World.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Infinite I thought was alright, but then again I never really anticipated it that much, played a bit of Bioshock 1.
AssCred 3 broke my trust in videogames for all time, gently caress that piece of poo poo.

I also think the multiplay looks kind of neat (first time seeing it outside of trailer, I don't really consider that something I don't want spoiler since it's not the campaign) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be like the early Splinter Cell multiplayer and everybody is going to memorize every hidden position the dynamic duo/Sam Fisher can hide in and pre-emptively shoot and grenade it.

Hopefully there's a counter to thugs using detective vision because I'd just flash that everytime I'd take a corner to counter anyone trying to corner takedown.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Zsinjeh posted:

I also think the multiplay looks kind of neat (first time seeing it outside of trailer, I don't really consider that something I don't want spoiler since it's not the campaign) but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be like the early Splinter Cell multiplayer and everybody is going to memorize every hidden position the dynamic duo/Sam Fisher can hide in and pre-emptively shoot and grenade it.

But the thug teams are working against each other as well as team Batman. So, sure, you as a thug could camp out a few gargoyles and snipe/grenade as soon as you saw something moving up there. But while you are doing that, the other thugs could come in and waste you. I really think the best option for Batman players is to let the thugs wear themselves down/dwindle their numbers and then go on the offensive. Not a very Batman way to play, but practical.

quote:

Hopefully there's a counter to thugs using detective vision because I'd just flash that everytime I'd take a corner to counter anyone trying to corner takedown.

Also this. I don't recall if it's on a timer/cooldown or what, but if a team of thugs can really co-ordinate and flush out bats, well hell. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

CzarChasm posted:

Also this. I don't recall if it's on a timer/cooldown or what, but if a team of thugs can really co-ordinate and flush out bats, well hell. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

Not very fun for bats, anyways. :hehe:

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006
There's a 17 minute narrated gameplay video available now - definitely looks like more Arkham City (not necessarily a bad thing). If you want a high quality version you can grab it off Gamersyde here: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_batman_arkham_origins_gcpd_walkthrough-31030_en.html

The video seems a bit stuttery I think - hopefully it's just the encoding and not a reflection on how the game actually runs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Here is a video where the Caped Crusaders actually win the round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkH2BDwat4g

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Disorientated posted:

There's a 17 minute narrated gameplay video available now - definitely looks like more Arkham City (not necessarily a bad thing). If you want a high quality version you can grab it off Gamersyde here: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_batman_arkham_origins_gcpd_walkthrough-31030_en.html

The video seems a bit stuttery I think - hopefully it's just the encoding and not a reflection on how the game actually runs.
Also, should anyone care to look, there's a guy going through the first 2 hours of the game on Youtube.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh balls.

According to someone near the ending, not only is the Joker the main villain, he's actually the one who hired the assassins. Black Mask apparently is his hostage for the whole game and has a minimal role.

And he kills Electrocutioner.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh balls.

According to someone near the ending,

I'm even trying really hard to be at all surprised at this, but I can't.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I thought it was pretty much a sure thing once the trophy/achievement list leaked.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 22, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was expecting that, but I didn't think he would take over the hiring assassins aspect of the plot as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't want to click that but I'm guessing it's Joker related?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 22, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yup. Sounds like a repeat of Arkham City, in terms of how big his involvement is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really really hope that's not true. It's really insulting to Black Mask's character as well.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We should probably be good about using tags here, folks, considering we're discussing the plot of a game that hasn't even come out yet.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Crappy Jack posted:

We should probably be good about using tags here, folks, considering we're discussing the plot of a game that hasn't even come out yet.

Yup, please stop spoiling a game that's not even out.

Speaking of it not being out, it's now available for pre-load on Steam.

Edit: It's only a 180 mb download so obviously they goofed something

seal it with a kiss fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 21, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

seal it with a kiss posted:

Speaking of it not being out, it's now available for pre-load on Steam.

Awesome. I ordered the game from greenmangaming.com; does anyone have any experience with them, when do they usually send out their keys?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

Awesome. I ordered the game from greenmangaming.com; does anyone have any experience with them, when do they usually send out their keys?

They usually send them our a day or two in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm getting this for PS3 and I'm not sure how preload works. Will those of you who are preloading, can you play early?

If so, not spoiling anything, can you give impressions?

• Locked thread