Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
The prevalence of tiptronic in just about all rentals these days means I can have my simulated manual experience without caring about how much I redline this PoS Dodge Caravan from every stoplight with traction control off in the 3 days I have it.

In short, avoid rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

iamnotcreative posted:

What's the opinion on former rental vehicles? I've seen a few pop up in local dealer's stock (Car 1 and Car 2 as examples). These are both models and years I'm interested in but the thought of 50 different people having driven the car and not giving two shits about it gives me pause.

Don't buy a former rental. It's not worth whatever tiny savings you'll have, and rental companies are not known for their attention to maintenance detail.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
It easy to tell based on year and mileage. A 2012 with 40k miles on it with SINGLE OWNER, neglects to tell you the single owner was probably Avis.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

It easy to tell based on year and mileage. A 2012 with 40k miles on it with SINGLE OWNER, neglects to tell you the single owner was probably Avis.

If it's an early 2012 that's only 20k a year. I drive nearly twice that a year. Most people who travel by car for work probably put more miles on a car annually than a rental. They likely take better care of them though (I know I do).

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone have thoughts on the 2013/2014 Honda Accords? I'm trying to decide between that, a Mazda 626 and a CLA250. The CLA I want is about $35K before tax and license and with just the sports package so no fancy poo poo inside. I got a truecar quote for a 2013 Accord EXL V6 for $26,615. For that price I basically get leather seats and the HondaLink infotainment package or whatever it is. Anyone have experience using the Honda Aha system?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Before he was a completely talentless hack, PJ O'Rourke wrote an article about how a rental car is the best handling car. It takes curbs, jumps, and off-roading with no qualms. Take that as you will.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

visuvius posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the 2013/2014 Honda Accords? I'm trying to decide between that, a Mazda 626 and a CLA250. The CLA I want is about $35K before tax and license and with just the sports package so no fancy poo poo inside. I got a truecar quote for a 2013 Accord EXL V6 for $26,615. For that price I basically get leather seats and the HondaLink infotainment package or whatever it is. Anyone have experience using the Honda Aha system?

A 13/14 Accord, the cheapest MB and a Mazda that hadn't been made in 10+ years are your options?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the CLA isn't actually out yet is it? I'm not sure what any of us here can add to that discussion other than that the interior of it from pictures seems really terrible for even a cheap car let alone a Mercedes. I don't like the exterior look of it either, the rear end for some reason reminds me of a Nissan Versa sedan which is awful (Nissan and MB have some joint venture projects, it's mostly just engines and transmissions but I can't shake that association from the back of my mind). If you really want a cheap rear end bare bones German car I think I would look at a BMW X1/1 series first.

I mean if you asked me I could make a pretty convincing argument about why I chose the 1 series - it's the smallest and lightest BMW, it's a modern E30, the 135i has 6 piston front brakes, I'm all about the driving feel man and what ever and I totally didn't just buy it because it was cheap.

The CLA is just a FWD economy car any way you cut it.

You can't really go wrong with either the Accord or the Mazda6, the Mazda looks better and probably drives marginally better esp. with a manual, the Accord will be better in every other respect - availible V6, better crash safety, interior quality, etc.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 19, 2013

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

visuvius posted:

Do not buy the accord for the Aha system. It is rather annoying. When I am selling them I don't even tell people about it. The Pandora interface is nice though, and works well. I would say the main buying points of the accord are good gas milage to power/size ratio, side view camera system and the multi angle backup camera (normal view, 180 degree back view, and top down view)

On Sunday when I am at work, I will do a video run down of the features in real world on the accord and post it here.

Juando290 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 19, 2013

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Haha yeah I totally meant 6 when I said 626 earlier, which I'm over at this point anyway.

With the CLA, I really do like the look of it, especially with the sport package. I liked the interior but the back was really tight. I suppose it's not really worth spending $35k on a car because I like the front end so the one is basically out too.

Juando I would totally appreciate that run down. A infotainment system is actually one of the main features I'm looking at with some of these and the Accord caught my attention because it comes standard with one. After seeing youtube videos of different systems, most of them seem clunky as poo poo besides the one in the Tesla.

I guess I should post my situation. I'm looking for a new car and I was pretty dead set on either getting he new CLA or just a beater. I've since changed my mind and I'm looking for other options.

- Budget of up to $36k with a $24k down payment.
- Looking to buy new or used
- Looking for a sedan
- 20 mile daily commute plus we're having a kid and will probably use this car on the weekends.
- I enjoy the driving experience so I want something that is fun to drive with a nice interior. I hate big rear end buttons. As mentioned, I'd like gadgetry like pandora streaming and web searches though I don't care about nav.

Anyone actually bought a car using a Truecar quote? Not like, "I went down there and had my local dealership kind of match it" but like they scanned the code and you walk out with a car?

Also, thoughts on the Infiniti Q50?

visuvius fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 19, 2013

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

visuvius posted:

- I enjoy the driving experience so I want something that is fun to drive with a nice interior. I hate big rear end buttons. As mentioned, I'd like gadgetry like pandora streaming and web searches though I don't care about nav.

Anyone actually bought a car using a Truecar quote? Not like, "I went down there and had my local dealership kind of match it" but like they scanned the code and you walk out with a car?

You might want to reconsider Nav on the accord. Not because of its navigation functions, but the voice control it gives you over the whole car (climate control, Nav, audio (can even search an iPod or the cars hard drive by voice) and slightly better audio. The hard rive can store between 350-400 CDs (that's why they got rid of the six disc changer)

Again, I will do a video, but I think you might want to wait until you see it in action before you discount it.

I think at our dealership, we have had one person utilize truecar. Our dealer is also associated with Edmunds and Costco, so there are a few ways out there to get a no haggle price (and yes, you can do better than those sometimes if you like having a stressful time to save a couple more hundred) but those deals tend to be a fair price for all. Except the sales guy. Haha.

Juando290 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

visuvius posted:

Haha yeah I totally meant 6 when I said 626 earlier, which I'm over at this point anyway.

With the CLA, I really do like the look of it, especially with the sport package. I liked the interior but the back was really tight. I suppose it's not really worth spending $35k on a car because I like the front end so the one is basically out too.

Juando I would totally appreciate that run down. A infotainment system is actually one of the main features I'm looking at with some of these and the Accord caught my attention because it comes standard with one. After seeing youtube videos of different systems, most of them seem clunky as poo poo besides the one in the Tesla.

I guess I should post my situation. I'm looking for a new car and I was pretty dead set on either getting he new CLA or just a beater. I've since changed my mind and I'm looking for other options.

- Looking for a sedan
- 20 mile daily commute plus we're having a kid and will probably use this car on the weekends.

Off-lease 2011-ish Audi A6 with the supercharged V6, or a Mercedes E350 from the same time period. The Audi will be faster in a straight line and ride more stiffly, the Merc has more interior geegaws like adaptive cruise and will be a bit more cushy.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
New
Budget: ~$15k*
Body Style: Compact Sedan. I'm open to hatchbacks, but I like the sedan style better.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. 12 mile round trip to work. Single guy so it's usually just me in the car. No access to a garage or covered parking. I live in Indianapolis and I'm never in traffic unless I go into Chicago.
What aspects are most important to you?: reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, fun to drive, music. I want to be able to charge my phone and play music from it, just an AUX input is fine. I rarely use navigation, even on road trips.

I'm looking at the Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent in that order. Do you guys have a preference? Edmunds and The Car Connection seem to like the Sonic and it helps that I like it the most visually.

My employer has associate discounts to several dealerships in the area and the best one is for Chevrolet and Ford (under invoice). There's some good incentives in my area for a new 2013 Sonic. I can't tell if there's much difference between this year's and last year's model.

Also, I kind of want a manual. I've been driving automatics for 12+ years and it's still kind of fun. If a manual makes driving even more fun, I'm all in. The cars are cheaper too. The problem is that I don't know how yet, though I'm sure I could get the hang of it. Also, there's no manuals anywhere. My car's brakes are out and it would almost cost what it's worth to repair. I can bicycle to work and have been doing so, but winter is coming.

* I'm going to be borrowing about $10k for the car if I buy used. I got pre-approved financing at 2.28% and there's 0% offers for the 2013 Sonic and 2013-2014 Fiesta. I'm thinking of doing a 48 month term and it (hopefully) won't be a problem to pay it off in 36.

One of the first replies in this thread warns people not to finance a car. I'm not sure how I feel about being in debt for a car. I'm OK with it, but it's also possibly just a bad decision. Maybe I should just move closer to work.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 19, 2013

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Throatwarbler posted:

I mean if you asked me I could make a pretty convincing argument about why I chose the 1 series - it's the smallest and lightest BMW, it's a modern E30, the 135i has 6 piston front brakes, I'm all about the driving feel man and what ever and I totally didn't just buy it because it was cheap.

It isn't ideal to compare the basic CLA (which by all accounts is exactly as you say, underwhelming) with an 135i. The 135i outclasses it in every way. The CLA 45 AMG looks interesting though. Chris Harrison compared the CLA 45 AMG with the M 135i and had positive things to say about the CLA (they are both hot hatches in the review, unlikely the CLA 45 AMG will make it to NA in that format. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOA5YN6ryz4

Someone asked about the Q50 as well - I drive a 2010 G37x and took the Q50 out for a spin not too long ago. It is a very similar car but they have really improved the interior and I would say it now competes in that department with Lexus/BMW/Audi. The tech is new and interesting. It has the same engine/transmission so it behaves in very similar ways to the G37 *but* they have really put the computers inbetween the driver and road in the Q50. The steer by wire is sort of strange and not to my taste at all (most reviews note this). It feels disconnected from the road which is strange because my G has incredible feedback. I think you can get the Q without the steer by wire feature though, so there's that.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 19, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My GF's car was totalled in an accident so now she is looking:

Budget: 10k-15k Cash
Style: anything smaller than a large sedan
Use: City Commute. appliance use driving
Aspect of Value: reliability, cost of ownership

She doesn't care about cars and really just needs comfortable affordable transportation. The big issue is that her insurance covers the rental car for only 1 more week and she has a project deadline pending so she's looking at a 70+ hour work week. I am doing what I can to make this easier for her so I'm trying to narrow down the huge pool of options to a handful so we can settle this quickly.

I lurk this thread a lot so I kind of know the best options. I suggested these 3 to her after a quick search:

2011 Ford Fiesta
2010 Hyundai Elantra
2007 Toyota Avalon

Obviously there are hundreds of options so the year isn't super important but I want to give her good choices without overwhelming. So, is there anything particularly grievous about any of these models? Is there a big one I am forgetting? I know the Camry/civics are ever popular but they seem to carry a price premium vs these others and don't seem to have a real advantage.

Also as for pricing: can KBB be trusted for a fair price buying from a dealer? The Hyundai is actually advertised below the KBB value which seems kind of odd but maybe they're not super popular.

We're at a disadvantage because we do need to settle this quickly so my goal is to get to a dealer either today or Monday, then leave and hopefully get them to take the price down so we can buy later in the week. How much padding is usually put in these advertised prices? With this situation we're not looking for a real steal of a car but obviously don't want to get screwed.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 19, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

visuvius posted:

- Looking for a sedan

BMW 335d.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

crimedog posted:

New
Budget: ~$15k*
Body Style: Compact Sedan. I'm open to hatchbacks, but I like the sedan style better.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. 12 mile round trip to work. Single guy so it's usually just me in the car. No access to a garage or covered parking. I live in Indianapolis and I'm never in traffic unless I go into Chicago.
What aspects are most important to you?: reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, fun to drive, music. I want to be able to charge my phone and play music from it, just an AUX input is fine. I rarely use navigation, even on road trips.

I'm looking at the Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent in that order. Do you guys have a preference? .
As a Fiesta owner I can tell you the base sound system is pretty darn good. It is the only one at that price point where you will have full bluetooth/usb/Ipod functionality (it was in 2012 when I bought mine anyway), and gets significantly better fuel economy than the other 3.
The manual transmission on it is quite good as well.

I'm up to about 30k on mine without a single problem.

That said a lot of people do like the sonic. I test drove them both and I found the fiesta preferable in every single way, but to each their own.

The fiesta is meant to be a hatch and I find the sedan absolutely hideous from the side. And in cars these size you really need to utilise the space you've got. Get the hatch then laugh at friends /relatives when you transport poo poo they could never dream of fitting in their large sedans.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

I will have to do the video tomorrow. We were surprisingly busy for a Sunday. I was showing vehicles pretty much from open to just after closing.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Juando290 posted:

I will have to do the video tomorrow. We were surprisingly busy for a Sunday. I was showing vehicles pretty much from open to just after closing.

Hey dude, don't worry about it. I just drove home a 2013 EX-L V6 and got it for under the truecar low price so I guess I'll see first hand how Aha works.

ThrowawayAccount
Jul 21, 2013
A friend of my mom has heard I was looking for a car and sent her this:

quote:

we have a saturn for sale, just put new engine in 50 aprox 50000 miles on new engine, new tires, brakes, radiator and battery. silver 4 door sl2 we bought new make offer

They own a body shop, so they know quite a bit about cars, so I feel like this has a higher chance of being a car that won't break down three weeks after I buy it. But they didn't mention the year, or how many miles it's had overall, and asked for an offer without me even seeing the car, which makes me feel weird. Should I feel weird about that? I'm not sure why the fact they bought it new is important - is that supposed to mean it's never been in an accident? Then why not just say that?

Should I politely pass or ask for more information? Any idea how much this would be worth? It seems like there's not enough information to say, but perhaps someone could give me an upper bound on price?

And any idea how much the new engine, etc., they mentioned would have cost them?

ThrowawayAccount fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 21, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The SL2 was probably their most reliable car overall. Our family had one that made it to 200k before finally crapping out. I will say that as the engines get older, they burn oil like crazy, you need to check it with every fill up and keep a quart in the car. No idea what they're worth nowadays though.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ThrowawayAccount posted:

They own a body shop, so they know quite a bit about cars, so I feel like this has a higher chance of being a car that won't break down three weeks after I buy it. But they didn't mention the year, or how many miles it's had overall, and asked for an offer without me even seeing the car, which makes me feel weird. Should I feel weird about that? I'm not sure why the fact they bought it new is important - is that supposed to mean it's never been in an accident? Then why not just say that?

Should I politely pass or ask for more information? Any idea how much this would be worth? It seems like there's not enough information to say, but perhaps someone could give me an upper bound on price?

And any idea how much the new engine, etc., they mentioned would have cost them?

If they bought it new, it also means they were the only owner, which means they should know everything about the car's past and present condition as well as how it was used. Things you might want to know: Year, trim, auto/manual (with respective maintenance history), total miles (not just on current engine), and if it's a salvage vehicle all come to mind. From their description it could be worth just about anything

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

visuvius posted:

Hey dude, don't worry about it. I just drove home a 2013 EX-L V6 and got it for under the truecar low price so I guess I'll see first hand how Aha works.

Well, I did the video anyway. Others may find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB33q6nPlcc

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Thanks for the video man, that Voice help thing is handy.

What are your thoughts on Aha? Have you used it at all? I'm hoping they update it to have more useful poo poo than just Pandora.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rockcity posted:

The SL2 was probably their most reliable car overall. Our family had one that made it to 200k before finally crapping out. I will say that as the engines get older, they burn oil like crazy, you need to check it with every fill up and keep a quart in the car. No idea what they're worth nowadays though.

It's not even an 'older' thing, a lot of those Saturn 1.9L engines burned oil practically off the lot. Keep oil in it and it will work for a drat long time, even if it makes fuckall for power.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

visuvius posted:

Thanks for the video man, that Voice help thing is handy.

What are your thoughts on Aha? Have you used it at all? I'm hoping they update it to have more useful poo poo than just Pandora.

Like I said...currently, Aha is bullshit. And just so you know, you have voice control over the phone, it is the navigation system equipped accords that give you full control over the whole system.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Math You posted:

That said a lot of people do like the sonic. I test drove them both and I found the fiesta preferable in every single way, but to each their own.

Thanks for the reply. I actually test drove the Sonic and the Fiesta on Saturday. The Fiesta was a manual and it wasn't as hard as I thought.

I'm not that much of a car guy, but digital speedometers are abominations. I very quickly began to dislike it in the Sonic. Both cars seemed pretty similar to me, but I'm leaning towards the Fiesta almost entirely because of this.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 22, 2013

ThrowawayAccount
Jul 21, 2013

ThrowawayAccount posted:

A friend of my mom has heard I was looking for a car and sent her this:

I don't expect to need a car for much longer than the next six months and my mom just told me that they told her that they were thinking $2000. This is pretty much a snap-purchase as long as it starts when I go down to look at it, right?

I don't have any more information, because my mom immediately replied to "make an offer" with "how much do you want?" instead of asking for more information. I'll ask to look at it before making a decision, but is there anything I could find out that would be a deal-breaker, like maybe it has 400k miles on it or something? I really need a car ASAP, the trick seems to be finding something in my price range that I can trust to last a few months. This seems like it could be a good buy, considering I need a car now but not necessarily for long.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You should consider a salvage title an absolute dealbreaker. Everything else just affects the price, given that this is a family friend who would presumably suffer social damage if the car turned out to be trashed mechanically hosed in some way they would know about, and they refused to make things right with you.

For $2k just about any running car that isn't a rusted-out shitpile or belching smoke from its blown head gasket or 20+ years old is OK.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
What's the scam with this dealer-add on: Theft Protection. Etching and a $2500 no-deductible theft replacement policy (that apparently pays for your insurance deductible if stolen?)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's not really a scam as the product is real, and will payout. The scammy part is the markup probably. They probably want 400 dollars for it and it costs them probably 40 bucks.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
That theft protection stuff is totally a sucker fee. All vehicles have serial/VIN etched in multiple places by the manufacturer already, and you pay for insurance already. The deductible isnt' some fee you have to pay if your car gets stolen, it's removed from the value the insurance people pay out.

Tell them you dont want it. They will tell you it's "on the car already". Tell them you won't pay for it and if it becomes a thing, walk. They won't let you out of the building because as the fella above me said, it probably cost them $40.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

Saltin posted:

That theft protection stuff is totally a sucker fee. All vehicles have serial/VIN etched in multiple places by the manufacturer already, and you pay for insurance already. The deductible isnt' some fee you have to pay if your car gets stolen, it's removed from the value the insurance people pay out.

Tell them you dont want it. They will tell you it's "on the car already". Tell them you won't pay for it and if it becomes a thing, walk. They won't let you out of the building because as the fella above me said, it probably cost them $40.

You are right, a million times. We do it another way. We have etching on our cars at my dealer, but we don't include it in the price. We legitimately purchase the etch for the cars ourself to basically insure us for more money if a car is stolen off the lot (it has happened before. I can go into how an Acura TL Advance went missing for 4 months and no one even noticed) but what we do is offer it in the finance office when people are signing for the vehicle we purchased. It is presented as a "We already have it on the car, we can transfer it into your name if you want or we can cancel it.". The funny thing is, I think more people buy it that way than if we tried to force it on them like other dealers. Part of it is just that obviously people like being given a choice instead of being told "YOU WILL BUY THIS!" the other part is basic human nature. When someone says "oh, this has something that we are going to take away from you" people tend to go "oh no you're not."

The one thing we do package on our cars is all weather mats, rear cargo tray and mud guards. It is wet for months here, so I would say 90% of my customers want them anyway. The rare occasion that we have a car that does not have that package on it, the customer almost always says "why doesn't this car have all those mats the other cars had, I want that too". Just like the above situation.

Side note. For anyone looking to buy a 2013 Honda Civic LX. Right now if you go in to a Honda dealer, you can get them talked down to $17,500 (invoice is $18,599, edmunds says that at least for our area true market value is $18,200) the trick is if you own a vehicle that is newer than 2007, even if it is not being traded in, Honda is offering something called "conquest money" up to $500 per deal. The other thing is if you finance through Honda, you can get another $500 from honda as down payment. Along with 0.9 APR from honda up to 60 months. The catch is that each dealer is allotted a certain amount of money, and when it's gone, it's gone...but it is a quick way to get another grand off whatever car you are looking at. Negotiate the price first, but don't go hog wild at the beginning, because if you start to approach an under invoice price, most likely they will already add the honda money to the deal, and then you are stuck. You want to be at a point where they would normally keep that money fr another deal down the road and then, when you are say, $200 above invoice or something similar, bring up honda money and conquest. Again, they can only legitimately use the honda money when you are financing through honda..I am less clear on the conquest money if you have to or not, but since you will anyway for the other, it does not matter.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Juando290 posted:

Side note. For anyone looking to buy a 2013 Honda Civic LX. Right now if you go in to a Honda dealer, you can get them talked down to $17,500 (invoice is $18,599, edmunds says that at least for our area true market value is $18,200)

I might just have to add the Civic to the list. It still seems a bit outgunned compared to the Focus Hatchback and the Mazda 3, but I'll go give it a drive.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
So I am buying a used car soon (2008 Focus) but recently found a 99 Tercel 4 door on kijiji for $700 bucks. The only problem is that it has no brakes. My current tercel, same year, 2 door, has a terrible engine leak that my mechanic is trying to fix this week (It was also in a fender bender before I bought it and the power steering is jammed into the engine block). Both cars have surface rust but the one for sale is extremely clean and has new alternator/belts/filters etc.

I was thinking of using my cars brakes and putting it on the new one and just using mine for scrap/spare parts and also as a hobby car to teach myself about cars. Is this smart or am I wasting $700 bucks. My sister needs a car soon for her job so I was thinking of giving her this one when I buy myself the 2008 Focus.

These cars are kinda hard to come by at this price (Lowest one I can find is 1700) and the one I have now was bought at a similar price and condition and has lasted me 2 years.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

When you say that the prospective Tercel has 'no brakes', do you mean that its brakes are damaged/worn? Or are the brakes physically missing from the vehicle?

How new are the brakes on your current Tercel? Unless you've replaced the pads very recently you'll probably need to put new ones in anyway. The braking system isn't really something that you should be willing to pinch pennies on.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 23, 2013

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
Worn out. I drove it on the guys lawn for a bit, shifting is flawless, so is the hand brake, just no easy stop when I pump the brakes.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Lando2 posted:

Worn out. I drove it on the guys lawn for a bit, shifting is flawless, so is the hand brake, just no easy stop when I pump the brakes.

You might as well just put new fluid/pads in and have the rotors checked. I doubt it's worth transplanting anything from your current Tercel since the stuff that needs to be replaced are mostly wear items.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop
I was looking to buy a new-used Dodge Challenger RT. I saw this thread and figured I could run my thought process by you guys and see what you think or if you had any suggestions.

Proposed Budget: 30k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 2 Door. 4 door works too if you have any other suggestions.
How will you be using the car?: Casual driving, running errands, out on the town.
What aspects are most important to you? Fun. Pride in my vehicle, for once.

I work from home. I drive less than 5 miles a day (if that). On the weekends I go downtown and stuff like that and I just want a car I can take pride in instead of my current '01 F-150. I was looking at 2012/13's with low mileage and the price appears to be about 25-29k depending on the features.

The only other cars I looked at were the Camaro and the CLA. I drove the CLA and decided I wasn't a fan. I don't like the Camaro that much and they are really common in my area. I've yet to drive the Challenger because I have a feeling if I drive it, I'll buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm going to go check out a used 2013 Kia Optima today. ~3500 miles. So what the hell is wrong with it? Dunno, but I hope nothing big because the price seems right for how many miles are on it. It may have spent its previous life as a rental or a showroom model. I go back and forth on whether that's a big deal or not. 3500 miles isn't alot of time for something to go catastrophically wrong which would shorten the cars life-span. Hopefully it didn't spend those 3500 miles without oil.