Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Also, Lana absolutely owns live; I don't know how many years it is going to take for the American press to admit they were wrong about her.

She still hasn't lived down the SNL performance?

I mean, it was an absolutely dreadful performance, there's no denying that, but you'd think it'd be water under the bridge by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana Del Rey--"Tennis Court" in particular sounds quite a bit like "Born to Die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6qdC9IkEM

Also, Lana absolutely owns live; I don't know how many years it is going to take for the American press to admit they were wrong about her.

I love Lana so, so much. Summertime Sadness and Dark Paradise are also great songs.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

I mean, it was an absolutely dreadful performance, there's no denying that, but you'd think it'd be water under the bridge by now.

Lorde: Lana Del Rey without the irony http://www.listener.co.nz/culture/music/lorde-moves-in-mysterious-ways/

quote:

“When I wrote Royals, I was listening to a lot of rap, but also a lot of Lana Del Rey, because she’s obviously really hip-hop influenced, but all those references to expensive alcohol, beautiful clothes and beautiful cars – I was thinking, ‘This is so opulent, but it’s also bullshit.’”

"Lorde's 'Pure Heroine' Is the Album Lana Del Rey Wishes She Made"

quote:

To put it bluntly, Pure Heroine is the album that Lana Del Rey wishes she made. This isn't meant to provoke a debate about Del Rey's "authenticity" versus Lorde's — after all, all pop stars have cultivated personas, and where Del Rey is a trailer park Lolita, Lorde is the "realistic" pop star. However, where Born to Die was overproduced in places, layering echoes over strings over electronic beats, Pure Heroine's minimal production allows the songs to shine in a way that Del Rey's couldn't quite manage. Lorde also manages to make each song on her album distinct and unique, with which Del Rey had some trouble. Many of Lorde's songs are tinged with the same kind of longing found on Born to Die — which is probably a result of her being an actual teenager — but keeps it all from feeling one-note. It's almost as if Lorde took all of the things that were good from Del Rey's debut and fine-tuned them to create a better, more interesting result.

Damning with faint praise is the usual M.O. in the States--Lana's spacious arrangements are somehow "overproduced" in an age where Katy Perry is machine-assembled by teams of Swedish robots. And hey, Lana did Lolita in the hood before Miley did that horrendous "SMS (Bangerz)" track:

Tiny Mix Tapes is taking Lorde as another opportunity to dismiss her, with the strange admission that yes, "Summertime Sadness" is actually a good song. Or perhaps that "retroactive 5/5" should be taken seriously. At least he's a KatyCat.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 20, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Metal Loaf posted:

It's especially weird because I've never seen an actually good SNL performance- something about their sound system or team or acoustics or whatever reduces every band I've seen on there to coming off as awkward and off-rhythm.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lord Krangdar posted:

It's especially weird because I've never seen an actually good SNL performance- something about their sound system or team or acoustics or whatever reduces every band I've seen on there to coming off as awkward and off-rhythm.

Speaking of SNL and pop, I finally got to see Miley's performances from her recent turn hosting (still haven't seen the actual skits, though I really want to). I beg to differ, because both of these are amazing:

Wrecking Ball
We Can't Stop (acoustic!)

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Lord Krangdar posted:

Kanye is always awesome on SNL. That one performance on Runaway with all the ballerinas onstage was so, so great.

I'm still bitter the Kanye/Gaga tour never happened.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Lord Krangdar posted:

SNL does have weird acoustics. Miley knocked it out of the park. When Fun was on there? They sounded like poo poo. JT always sounds good, but Sleigh Bells sounded terrible. It's something about the studio (Which does have really weird acoustics the two times I've been in there on the NBC tour. Like, couldn't hear the person next to me, but could hear the tour guide weird acoustics.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Some of you might be interested in this week's issue of The New Yorker, which has a long profile on Dr. Luke, who has co-written or co-produced several dozen of the biggest pop hits of the last few years.

I don't even LIKE most pop music the way most of you do, but I end up listening to a lot of it in my car anyway. I'm strangely fascinated by the songwriting/producing machine like Max Martin, Dr. Luke, and Bonnie McKee, who keep churning out these catchy but completely interchangeable hits for mostly interchangeable artists.

Here is the beginning of the article, but it looks like you'll have to pay for the rest:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/10/14/131014fa_fact_seabrook

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't even LIKE most pop music the way most of you do, but I end up listening to a lot of it in my car anyway. I'm strangely fascinated by the songwriting/producing machine like Max Martin, Dr. Luke, and Bonnie McKee, who keep churning out these catchy but completely interchangeable hits for mostly interchangeable artists.

Behind-the-scenes songwriting teams have been around forever. You have Holland-Dozier-Holland, Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Stock-Aitken-Waterman and a whole host of others.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So far this is great and absolutely nothing like Teenage Dream. Legendary Lover gives me chills
I was wrong; Katy's persona is less Mary Magdalene and more Kali-Ma (tigers, roars, third eyes, Karma, etc.). "Roar" worked so well because the production sounds immense--"Legendary" and "Unconditional" could potentially sound much better live, without all the dynamic range compression. "This is How We Do" just makes me wish I was listening to "This is What Makes Us Girls" instead.

But this is a concept album about a failed marriage, albeit one where the tracks are not presented in sequence. Instead, we get 30 minutes of radio singles, followed by another 30 minutes of Katy Perry trying to find something real beneath the cotton candy and glitter; something Not Like the Movies. And well, it kind of works, if only as a sort of voyeuristic afterword to Part of Me. The Labyrinth-inspired video for "Wide Awake" was an interesting bit of self-criticism, insasmuch as it seemed to state, intentionally or not, that Katy's whole pop persona had turned her into a sort of soulless automaton, one desperately in need of rediscovering who she was. "I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything"--after establishing herself as a living billboard for Pepsi, Popchips, Citigroup and Proactiv, what does she stand for? The paradox is that the plastic pop queen is desperately looking for someone authentic. Her boys are Mannequins, and she just wishes they could be Real with her, only dimly aware that she is chasing shadows of her future self. On "It Takes Two," perhaps she has started to see it.

Alternate universe singles: "Love Me," "Spiritual"

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 20, 2013

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

nyquil hangover posted:

I'm still bitter the Kanye/Gaga tour never happened.

That tour is the soul reason I even became interested in Lady Gaga. I wanted to see Kanye and my friend wanted to see Gaga; we bought tickets, but nope. I ended up seeing the Monster Ball later and it's definitely the best show I've been to live to this day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Behind-the-scenes songwriting teams have been around forever. You have Holland-Dozier-Holland, Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Stock-Aitken-Waterman and a whole host of others.

Oh yeah, going all the way back to the "Great American Songbook" people like Cole Porter and the Gershwins. I guess the Max Martin/Dr. Luke team just intrigues me, how similar all of their songs and the artists they write for are (and have been since I first heard about Martin in the late '90s), and how almost every one just blows up on the charts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Over the years they've adapted their approach to changing trends; I suppose one could say he's following trends, but he was setting them more often than not.

Actually, I remember being surprised to hear that Max Martin has been in the music business in one way or another for more than twenty years, though I guess I shouldn't have been, since he's only about forty himself (fun fact: he was the singer in a hair metal/funk rock band in the late 1980s).

Check out stuff he wrote and produced in the late 1990s/early 2000s for the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears ("I Want It That Way", "Larger Than Life", "Oops!... I Did It Again", "Stronger") then compare it with his work with Kelly Clarkson and P!nk in the middle of the last decade ("Since U Been Gone", "So What" - this was probably the "I used to be in a rock band, didn't I?" stage of his career) and the songs he's written for Katy Perry (most of her output, I think) and Taylor Swift ("We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together", "I Knew You Were Trouble"). You can see how it's changed with the times.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I went to a 90's party a while back and it was quite surprising to hear/remember exactly how similar some of those songs really are - "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" & "Larger Than Life" and "Oops!… I Did It Again" & "Hit Me Baby One More Time" sound EXTREMELY similar to each other (can you plagiarize your own stuff?). We have people who use very similar (still people asking for 'the next …') production (Calvin Harris, Will.I.am, Guetta etc.) but those are almost like they changed the key, wrote new lyrics and released (probably what happened). Martin's current productions are quite varied in comparison to his earlier stuff. Thanks Pro Tools.

Oh and speaking of Kelly Clarkson… Her Christmas thing? Incredible.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Normally I hate Kelly Clarkson but yeah that Christmas song is great.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Hey I don't know if pop-country counts as pop but one of my coworkers is constantly listening to the modern country radio station on Pandora and I just heard one of the worst songs ever.

It's called "Homeboy" by Eric Church, I'm guessing the working title was "Dog-whistle Racism".

0/5 would not sit through again

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3jzMyYgPQs
Gaga and R Kelly

This is the dopest poo poo ever

B-Side
Dec 30, 2008
Over the past year, Chloe Howl has been releasing singles (with an album supposedly coming next year). No Strings is pretty fantastic, but I'm also _really_ digging her new one, Paper Heart:

http://vevo.ly/49e07J

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Gaga and R Kelly

I can't decide whether I like this or Applause better. The more basic production on Do What You Want is appealing, but that also makes it less addictive than Applause, and there's something to be said for addictiveness when you wear out and loop songs like I enjoy doing.

Now Artpop on the other hand...

:getin: Can't wait for the full single. The whole album really.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Jay O posted:

I can't decide whether I like this or Applause better. The more basic production on Do What You Want is appealing, but that also makes it less addictive than Applause, and there's something to be said for addictiveness when you wear out and loop songs like I enjoy doing.

Now Artpop on the other hand...

:getin: Can't wait for the full single. The whole album really.

The song ARTPOP is so addictive, I swear I was listening to it 24/7 for a week after the iTunes festival performance.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Gaga and R Kelly

Gaga's vocals :eyepop:

B-Side posted:

Over the past year, Chloe Howl has been releasing singles (with an album supposedly coming next year). No Strings is pretty fantastic, but I'm also _really_ digging her new one, Paper Heart:

http://vevo.ly/49e07J

Yeah, Chlöe owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLhnEFwH2c

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Every one in a while, Katy does these (somewhat) stripped-down performances where she tries to prove that she can actually sing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQr_ZYq6yZk

Her wardrobe here seems to be half Zhora in Blade Runner, half Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer, perhaps hinting at a sort of electronic plasticity (more human than human)

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 23, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Every one in a while, Katy does these (somewhat) stripped-down performances where she tries to prove that she can actually sing:

Oo-er, didn't exactly pull it off, did she?

I mean, she sounded a little better there than she has in other videos I've seen, but even so...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The amazing Angel Haze covered Wrecking Bell

https://soundcloud.com/angelhazeym/wrecking-ball-angel-haze

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQr_ZYq6yZk

Her wardrobe here seems to be half Zhora in Blade Runner, half Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer, perhaps hinting at a sort of electronic plasticity (more human than human)

She can definitely sing. I was there and was very impressed by her live performance. Not even a fan of her music

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hey the new Cut Copy album Free Your Mind is streaming on http://www.cutcopy.net and it is GREAT.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I'm gonna miss Janelle Monae on SNL tonight :(

I hope it goes well. She's so theatrical and over the top that I'm worried everyone will make fun of her and it'll be Lana del Rey all over again.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nyquil hangover posted:

I'm gonna miss Janelle Monae on SNL tonight :(

I hope it goes well. She's so theatrical and over the top that I'm worried everyone will make fun of her and it'll be Lana del Rey all over again.

Every live performance of Janelle's I've seen has been pitch perfect. There's no chance in hell that she'll gently caress up as bad as Lana.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

DominoDancing posted:

Every live performance of Janelle's I've seen has been pitch perfect. There's no chance in hell that she'll gently caress up as bad as Lana.

So I actually made it home early tonight and caught both of her performances. The acoustics sucked but her stage presence more than made up for it.

My husband hadn't heard any of her stuff before, but he immediately started Youtubing her videos, and now he wants me to burn both of her CDs onto his laptop.

Hooray :unsmith:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Has anyone got some recommendation for artists similar to Birdy?
Her song Wings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTXDCh2YiA is phenomenal.
Not such a fan of Skinny Love though.

She's also amazing live;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1LxdtQaqbk
Yes it's the same song, but I can barely get enough of it as it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nyquil hangover posted:

So I actually made it home early tonight and caught both of her performances. The acoustics sucked but her stage presence more than made up for it.

My husband hadn't heard any of her stuff before, but he immediately started Youtubing her videos, and now he wants me to burn both of her CDs onto his laptop.

I've yet to hear a Janelle Monaé song I don't like, and it's stil more than a little disappointing that she was so massively wasted on "We Are Young" last year.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

DominoDancing posted:

Her acoustics were way off on SNL and honestly it was my first taste of the new songs. Wasn't happy. ;(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hell has frozen over because Sky Ferreira has finally released Night Time, My Time, her oft delayed debut album.

Is it worth the wait? Well yeah I mean it's not going to bring about world peace or anything but if you have enjoyed her previous output it's uhh more Sky Ferreira.

"24 Hours", "Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)" and "Heavy Metal Heart" are my favourites at this moment.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spiteski posted:

Has anyone got some recommendation for artists similar to Birdy?

Aside from obvious ones like Lana Del Ray and Florence and the Machine, there's always Boy and Coeur de Pirate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsyjS_vJfkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuPn4DPCdA

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
There's a singer called Boy? Why would you give yourself such an un-googleable name?

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lana resurrexit !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmC7fSSXgQ

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Praise the lord.

E - Lol

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Praise the lord.

E - Lol

Lana is Hipster Jesus. She was crucified by her own people for violating their arcane authenticity laws, only to be resurrected more powerful than before in the hearts and minds of gentile teenage girls, easily converted from the false idols of Bieber and Ke$ha.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana is Hipster Jesus. She was crucified by her own people for violating their arcane authenticity laws, only to be resurrected more powerful than before in the hearts and minds of gentile teenage girls, easily converted from the false idols of Bieber and Ke$ha.

Lorde is a false prophet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a song called "Year Round Summer of Love", which I've been hearing on the radio lately. I like it well enough.